Re: What are Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest Host?

Message has been deleted

Alan Baker

Jul 13, 2008, 1:36:49 PM7/13/08
In article <hasta-73692F....@free.teranews.com>,
hasta la vista <ha...@lavista.org> wrote:

> What are Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest Host?
> These show up every time I boot up on my System Preference Network
> screen. Yes, I know they have something to do with Parallels running on
> my Mac but why the network connection? Is Parallels monitoring what I
> do or is there some need to connect with their server to run virtual
> windows with Windows and Linux? Thank for any answers that are helpful.

Parallels NAT is the network adapter that Parallels sets up to give the
virtual machine access to the internet through the IP address that Mac
OS X is using. It's called NAT, because just like a hardware router, it
uses network address translation to determine what packets arriving for
the Mac are to be redirected to the operating system running under
Parallels.

Guest Host is there to provide a completely private network between Mac
OS X and whatever OS is running under Parallels.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

Steve de Mena

Jul 13, 2008, 5:44:05 PM7/13/08
hasta la vista wrote:
> What are Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest Host?
> These show up every time I boot up on my System Preference Network
> screen. Yes, I know they have something to do with Parallels running on
> my Mac but why the network connection? Is Parallels monitoring what I
> do or is there some need to connect with their server to run virtual
> windows with Windows and Linux? Thank for any answers that are helpful.

The Guest OS needs a network connection, thats what they are.

Steve

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Alan Baker

Jul 19, 2008, 2:54:18 PM7/19/08
In article <hasta-AB860A....@free.teranews.com>,

hasta la vista <ha...@lavista.org> wrote:

> In article
> <alangbaker-3C6068.10364913072008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,

> Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <hasta-73692F....@free.teranews.com>,
> > hasta la vista <ha...@lavista.org> wrote:
> >
> > > What are Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest Host?
> > > These show up every time I boot up on my System Preference Network
> > > screen. Yes, I know they have something to do with Parallels running on
> > > my Mac but why the network connection? Is Parallels monitoring what I
> > > do or is there some need to connect with their server to run virtual
> > > windows with Windows and Linux? Thank for any answers that are helpful.
> > > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
> >
> > Parallels NAT is the network adapter that Parallels sets up to give the
> > virtual machine access to the internet through the IP address that Mac
> > OS X is using. It's called NAT, because just like a hardware router, it
> > uses network address translation to determine what packets arriving for
> > the Mac are to be redirected to the operating system running under
> > Parallels.
> >
> > Guest Host is there to provide a completely private network between Mac
> > OS X and whatever OS is running under Parallels.
>

> Thanks, Alan.

You're welcome, Edwin. But I just Googled it. :-P

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Message has been deleted

Alan Baker

Jul 19, 2008, 7:45:57 PM7/19/08
In article <hasta-B17C22....@free.teranews.com>,

hasta la vista <ha...@lavista.org> wrote:

> In article
> <alangbaker-62366...@shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,

> Sometime I forget to Google and other times, I like to try to get a
> reply from a living human being, or someone, like yourself, who
> resembles one.
>
> BTW, I'm not Edwin - I'm the real "hasta la vista" and you just won't
> believe me!

So Edwin was hijacking your name for a while, huh?

Message has been deleted