OpenOffice beta 3 - Goodbye NeoOffice?

Mike Dee

May 9, 2008, 10:03:59 PM5/9/08
OpenOffice.org beta 3 is now available for testing by the those who
like to live dangerously.

For the first time OO.o is now a native Mac application, no more
need for X11.

<Quote>
Mac OS X Support:
With Version 3.0, OpenOffice.org is now able to run on Mac OS X
without the need for X11. Thus, OpenOffice.org behaves like any
other Aqua application. The cool thing is, while the market leading
office suite vendor dropped VBA support and the Solver feature,
OpenOffice.org recently introduced limited VBA support and includes
a powerful Solver component. In addition, OpenOffice.org integrates
well with the Mac OS X accessibility APIs, and thus offers better
accessibility support than many other Mac OS X applications.
</Quote>

For a full list of new core features:
<http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/featurelistbeta.html>

--
dee

William Yeo

May 9, 2008, 11:39:58 PM5/9/08
Hail

In article <Xns9A9A7ABE4...@85.214.90.236>,
Mike Dee <emte...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> OpenOffice.org beta 3 is now available for testing by the those who
> like to live dangerously.

I downloaded it and tried it out. Using 10.5.2 and my multi-plane income
tax spreadsheet (i.e. something nice and complicated to start with) as
test material. After switching from one sheet to another, OO3.0 started
blanking out some of the sheets (i.e. cells showed but no more data
values). I have to quit and re-open the file to get the data back.

In other words, it's really not ready for prime time yet (it is still a
beta), so NeoOffice will be around for a while. I'm eagerly looking
forward to Aqua OpenOffice's inevitable debut in a working (and faster)
invocation.

I've already donated to NeoOffice and I will do so for OpenOffice when
it comes out. I'm grateful to both projects for making such diverse and
capable facilities available for free.

Kevin McMurtrie

May 10, 2008, 12:56:03 AM5/10/08
In article <Xns9A9A7ABE4...@85.214.90.236>,
Mike Dee <emte...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

It still has a look and feel that is inspired by Microsoft and Sun
Microsystems :(

--
Block Google's spam and enjoy Usenet again.
Reply with Google and I won't hear from you.

Telstar

May 10, 2008, 4:54:01 AM5/10/08

"Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmu...@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

Very fortunately!

Mike Dee

May 10, 2008, 8:03:35 AM5/10/08
On Fri, 09 May 2008 20:39:58 -0700, William Yeo wrote:

> I downloaded it and tried it out. Using 10.5.2 and my multi-plane income
> tax spreadsheet (i.e. something nice and complicated to start with) as
> test material. After switching from one sheet to another, OO3.0 started
> blanking out some of the sheets (i.e. cells showed but no more data
> values). I have to quit and re-open the file to get the data back.

Great test. I hope that you also submit bug reports ;-)

My requirements for using an Office suite are mostly Text and Draw
centric. So far I haven't struck any issues, but today is the first time
that I've had to try the new beta. I'm looking forward to the RC's.

> In other words, it's really not ready for prime time yet (it is still a
> beta), so NeoOffice will be around for a while. I'm eagerly looking
> forward to Aqua OpenOffice's inevitable debut in a working (and faster)
> invocation.

I think September this year is when it finally will go gold. All is on
track to date AFAIK.

> I've already donated to NeoOffice and I will do so for OpenOffice when
> it comes out. I'm grateful to both projects for making such diverse and
> capable facilities available for free.

This is one project that deserves such support too.. Thanks for the input.

--
dee

Mike Dee

May 10, 2008, 8:18:19 AM5/10/08
On Fri, 09 May 2008 21:56:03 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> Mike Dee <emte...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> For a full list of new core features:
>> <http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/featurelistbeta.html>
>
> It still has a look and feel that is inspired by Microsoft and Sun
> Microsystems :(

Really? One thing that struck me as being very Mac-like was the new OOo
"Start Center". Which I though was a direct ClarisWorks/AppleWorks
look-alike for choosing what module you want to work in.

But basically it uses the Mac API etc etc... It now opens, closes, prints
and saves like any other Mac program, so I'm not really sure where you're
coming from.

--
dee

Calum

May 10, 2008, 3:16:18 PM5/10/08
Mike Dee wrote:

> Really? One thing that struck me as being very Mac-like was the new OOo
> "Start Center". Which I though was a direct ClarisWorks/AppleWorks
> look-alike for choosing what module you want to work in.

There was a (less-polished) start centre in 2.x as well-- some
Linux/Unix distros use it as the default startup window, but you don't
normally see it on the Mac.

You can probably bring it up it with "soffice slot:5500" in a terminal,
if you can find the soffice binary (should be in the Open Office app
bundle somewhere).

Steve Hix

May 10, 2008, 7:30:23 PM5/10/08
> On Fri, 09 May 2008 21:56:03 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
>
> > It still has a look and feel that is inspired by Microsoft and Sun
> > Microsystems :(

Which is understandable, what with it being created initially by a mob
of German engineers looking to functionally replace MS Office without
the high price.

Which was long before Sun ever got a look at it.

Erik Richard Sørensen

May 10, 2008, 8:35:35 PM5/10/08

Mike Dee wrote:
> OpenOffice.org beta 3 is now available for testing by the those who
> like to live dangerously.
>
> For the first time OO.o is now a native Mac application, no more
> need for X11.
>
> [...]

> For a full list of new core features:
> <http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/featurelistbeta.html>

Just a few words here... The Openoffice Aqua is still only an alpha
version, - not even a beta.:-)

but when this said, I can only say that the last build of OpenOffice 3.0
Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as
well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.

It is more that three times as fast as NeoOffice and more than twice as
fast than both MSOffice 2004 and 2008! - And until now i haven't had a
single 'unexpected quit' with the last two builds of OOo3.0. - Also the
fonts handling is quite a lot better than in NeoOffice and MSO2004/2008.
- I have apprx. 1550 fonts active in my main set, and apprx. 23.000
fonts on the HD - all 100% managed by Linotype Fontexplorer.

So now printing with quite a lot of various fonts and various typefaces
within the same font is just like a dream, though the OOo crew still
tells us that printing can be a problem.:-)

So what can't we expect, when first OpenOffice 3.0 Final is released? -
Mmmmm.... I can hardly wait.:-)

cheers, Erik Richard

Rgds. Grüße, Mvh. Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC
<mac-man_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk> <http://www.nisus.com>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Textprocessing

Kevin McMurtrie

May 11, 2008, 3:33:09 AM5/11/08
In article <g03nra$ol9$1...@zinnia.noc.ucla.edu>,
"Telstar" <no...@none.net> wrote:

LOL!

I've always thought of the MS Office GUI as being a jumbo-jet cockpit
with half the knobs missing. A Sun GUI looks like ancient machinery
made of mystery, cut stone, and deadly booby-traps.

Carl Witthoft

May 11, 2008, 1:12:17 PM5/11/08
In article <g04sa2$7va$1...@reader01.news.esat.net>,
Calum <com....@scottishwildcat.nospam> wrote:

So any news re OO.o 3 as to whether they're finally going to get a
"Normal View" or equivalent option installed? This serious lack (issue
4914 IIRC) has been around forever.

--
Team EM to the rescue! http://www.team-em.com

F.Robert Falbo

May 11, 2008, 8:42:32 PM5/11/08
On 2008-05-10 20:35:35 -0400, Erik Richard Sørensen <NOS...@NOSPAM.dk> said:

> Just a few words here... The Openoffice Aqua is still only an alpha
> version, - not even a beta.:-)
> but when this said, I can only say that the last build of OpenOffice 3.0
> Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as
> well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.

Download en-US Installation Sets from here:
Linux (rpm)                                157 MB
Linux (rpm)                  with JRE 176 MB
Linux (deb)                                 157 MB
SolarisSparc                 with JRE 197 MB
Solarisx86                    with JRE 180 MB
Windows                     with JRE 145 MB
MacOSXIntel Aqua           168 MB

I don't see any PPC binary here.

--
FurryOne
---------------------------------

Mike Dee

May 12, 2008, 6:19:47 AM5/12/08
F.Robert Falbo <rfa...@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> On 2008-05-10 20:35:35 -0400, Erik Richard S?rensen
> <NOS...@NOSPAM.dk> said:
[...]

>> OpenOffice 3.0 Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X
>> 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and
>> 10.5.2.
>
> Download en-US Installation Sets from here:

[...]

> MacOSXIntel Aqua 168 MB
>
> I don't see any PPC binary here.

I haven't been able to locate a PPC binary either :-(
I hope Erik can come back with a link to one if it exists.

--
dee

Niels Jørgen Kruse

May 12, 2008, 7:07:25 AM5/12/08
Mike Dee <emte...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

There is a non-Aqua one (at least a Danish language one).

A google search for "OOo_3.0.0beta_MacOSXPowerPC_install_da.dmg" finds
it.

--
Mvh./Regards, Niels Jørgen Kruse, Vanløse, Denmark

Erik Richard Sørensen

May 12, 2008, 7:26:46 AM5/12/08

F.Robert Falbo wrote:

> Erik Richard Sørensen said:
>> Just a few words here... The Openoffice Aqua is still only an alpha
>> version, - not even a beta.:-)
>> but when this said, I can only say that the last build of OpenOffice 3.0
>> Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as
>> well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.
>
> Download en-US Installation Sets from here:
> Linux (rpm) 157 MB
> Linux (rpm) with JRE 176 MB
> Linux (deb) 157 MB
> SolarisSparc with JRE 197 MB
> Solarisx86 with JRE 180 MB
> Windows with JRE 145 MB
> MacOSXIntel Aqua 168 MB
>
> I don't see any PPC binary here.

You can get the PPC ver. here:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua-PPC.html

OK, - just more more experience...
In the folder Application Support in your username/library/application
support folder, you may have more than one folder called OpenOffice, if
you previously have been working with alpha and beta versions of the
varius main releases of OOoAqua or have been using the X11 version of OOo.

1- The folder used by X11/OpenOffice 2.x is called 'OpenOffice.org'
2- The folder used by the first alpha ver. of OOo3.0 is called
'OpenOffice.org2'
3- The folder used by the 2nd rel. of OOo3.0 is called 'OOo.org-dev'
4- The new from the latest ver. of OOo3.0 is called 'OpenOffice.org-aqua'

If you have 1, 2 & 3, delete 2 & 3 before opening the latest OOo3.0
version. This results in that the new Aqua ver. will 'import' the
settings from the X11 ver. of OOo and create the new folder called
'OpenOffice.org-aqua' - and all prefs settings available in OOo3.0Aqua
are set as they are in X11/OOo - such as default fonts, margins, colors,
printer settings, etc.. New OOoAqua settings possibilities are of course
not set....

NOTE. "OOo_3.0.0_080314_MacOSXPowerPC" doesnot work on G3 machines
running OS X 10.3.x. - BUT - it runs on G4s running 10.3.9, - but it is
slow - slower than the X11 version.

Cheers, Erik Richard

Erik Richard Sørensen

May 12, 2008, 7:56:29 AM5/12/08

- And as already given, - here's the en-US version...
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua-PPC.html

Mike Dee

May 12, 2008, 9:47:01 AM5/12/08
Erik Richard Sørensen <NOS...@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

[much good info snipped and archived]

> Cheers, Erik Richard

Thank you very much Erik Richard. I will get that downloaded right
away.

--
dee

william mitchell

May 12, 2008, 2:51:21 PM5/12/08
Carl Witthoft <ca...@witthoft.com> writes:

> So any news re OO.o 3 as to whether they're finally going to get a
> "Normal View" or equivalent option installed? This serious lack (issue
> 4914 IIRC) has been around forever.

Just out of curiosity --- what would a "normal" view be?

Carl Witthoft

May 12, 2008, 4:58:37 PM5/12/08
In article <m263tj1...@odetta.local>,
william mitchell <mitc...@odetta.local> wrote:

mmmm.... have you ever used Microsoft Word, or any of the now-dead word
processing apps?

"Normal View" shows you just the body of the document as a continuous
sheet. No headers, no footers, no annoying grey space between pages or
to the left/right. This view lets you do the job you should be doing
:-), i.e. editing the content of the document.

Once that is done, it makes sense to switch to "Print Layout View" or
whatever various apps call it, so you can do the actual galley layout
in WYSIWYG display.

Calum

May 12, 2008, 8:17:56 PM5/12/08
Carl Witthoft wrote:

> "Normal View" shows you just the body of the document as a continuous
> sheet. No headers, no footers, no annoying grey space between pages or
> to the left/right. This view lets you do the job you should be doing
> :-), i.e. editing the content of the document.

Is that really so much different from OOo's "Web Layout" view?

Mike Dee

May 12, 2008, 8:21:54 PM5/12/08
On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:56:29 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

> Niels Jørgen Kruse wrote:
[...]

>> There is a non-Aqua one (at least a Danish language one).
>>
>> A google search for "OOo_3.0.0beta_MacOSXPowerPC_install_da.dmg" finds
>> it.
>
> - And as already given, - here's the en-US version...
> http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua-PPC.html
>
> cheers, Erik Richard

Many thanks Neils for the hints and Erik for the correct link for me, also
for the excellent advice on removing the extra "OpenOffice.org2" library
file.

Installation went without issue and OOo is now running native on my
old G4/DA :-)

--
dee

Erik Richard Sørensen

May 12, 2008, 10:06:25 PM5/12/08

Good to hear it's working. - I've just finished setting up an old
QuickSilver 800mhz ready for further installs of programs, but it's
getting too late for me now. - it's in the middle of the night - or
early in the morning, and I have to get some sleep..-)

Fred Moore

May 13, 2008, 12:20:44 PM5/13/08
In article <g0amnk$to4$1...@reader01.news.esat.net>,
Calum <com....@scottishwildcat.nospam> wrote:

Yes, though web view is closer than regular page view. Web view spreads
the layout way across the page and IIRC you lose tabs and margins and
other basic spacial formatting. Normal view leaves you with just what
you need to enter text and do basic formatting without all the wasted
space of page view. It can speed up editing significantly. Normal view
is very similar to the (default) formatted text view in TextEdit, but
you have access to all the power of a full word processor like Word or
NeoOffice.

--Fred

F.Robert Falbo

May 15, 2008, 9:48:54 PM5/15/08
On 2008-05-12 07:56:29 -0400, Erik Richard Sørensen <NOS...@NOSPAM.dk> said:

> - And as already given, - here's the en-US version...
> http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua-PPC.html

Thanks Erik! It's in the bittorrent right now.

Mike Dee

Sep 6, 2008, 10:45:34 PM9/6/08
On Sun, 11 May 2008 02:35:35 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

> Just a few words here... The Openoffice Aqua is still only an alpha
> version, - not even a beta.:-)
>
> but when this said, I can only say that the last build of OpenOffice 3.0
> Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as
> well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.

PPC? I could only locate binaries for Intel CPUs. I have an old dp digital
audio model I would like to run this on too. Do you have a link to PPC
binaries also?

> It is more that three times as fast as NeoOffice and more than twice as
> fast than both MSOffice 2004 and 2008! - And until now i haven't had a
> single 'unexpected quit' with the last two builds of OOo3.0.

[...]

> So what can't we expect, when first OpenOffice 3.0 Final is released? -
> Mmmmm.... I can hardly wait.:-)

Editing PDF created in other programs is one thing that I look forward to.
Many thanks for your post, Erik.

--
dee

Mike Dee

Sep 7, 2008, 7:37:49 AM9/7/08

Sorry for the post above, folks. It was a response post I'd made back in
May of this year which had gotten itself "buried" in a "posts pending" bin
of my news client. I had thought that I'd sent it off back then but
obviously had not. Doing a clean-up today, I clicked the "send" button
and not the "delete" one.

However. It has been good to see some progress with OO.o 3.0 but
disappointingly next to impossible to DL PPC versions of the new beta
versions of OO.o from www.openoffice.org itself.

Why is that so? I can go to the maintainer site of the Mac OO.o packages
and DL a PPC version of the latest beta but none are available from
openoffice.org itself. And they don't make it very easy to locate one
either, even though PPC versions are being packaged and maintained at the
same time as Intel only Mac versions.

I would've thought that as long as Apple is still supporting PPC versions
of it's OS, www.openoffice.org could do the same.

OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta 2 runs very nicely on PPC Macs too (1Ghz DP QS
2002, running Tiger).

--
dee

Erik Richard Sørensen

Sep 7, 2008, 11:03:26 AM9/7/08

Mike Dee wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2008 02:35:35 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
>> Just a few words here... The Openoffice Aqua is still only an alpha
>> version, - not even a beta.:-)
>>
>> but when this said, I can only say that the last build of OpenOffice 3.0
>> Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as
>> well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.
>
> PPC? I could only locate binaries for Intel CPUs. I have an old dp digital
> audio model I would like to run this on too. Do you have a link to PPC
> binaries also?

Hei Mike, Yes, PPC is also available. I'm running it on both my CPU upg.
QS Dual G4/1,8ghz, a Dual 1ghz MDD, and have also just installed it on a
QS 800mhz - a machine I've just sold...

Download link to the latest ver. 3.0b2. Just scroll past all the Intel
stuff, and you come to the PPC versions. The first one - the
"OOo_3.0.0beta2_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg" is US English, which also is
the one I'm using...
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0beta2/

>> It is more that three times as fast as NeoOffice and more than twice as
>> fast than both MSOffice 2004 and 2008! - And until now i haven't had a
>> single 'unexpected quit' with the last two builds of OOo3.0.
>> [...]
>> So what can't we expect, when first OpenOffice 3.0 Final is released? -
>> Mmmmm.... I can hardly wait.:-)
>
> Editing PDF created in other programs is one thing that I look forward to.
> Many thanks for your post, Erik.

I've just tried the latest dev. version, and it is even faster than the
offical 3.0.0b2. - I've also heard some rumors that a final version
maybe will be out late this autumn.

Erik Richard Sørensen

Sep 7, 2008, 11:08:35 AM9/7/08

Mike Dee wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2008 02:35:35 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
>> Just a few words here... The Openoffice Aqua is still only an alpha
>> version, - not even a beta.:-)
>>
>> but when this said, I can only say that the last build of OpenOffice 3.0
>> Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as
>> well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.
>
> PPC? I could only locate binaries for Intel CPUs. I have an old dp digital
> audio model I would like to run this on too. Do you have a link to PPC
> binaries also?

Hei Mike, Yes, PPC is also available. I'm running it on both my CPU upg.

QS Dual G4/1,8ghz, a Dual 1ghz MDD, and have also just installed it on a
QS 800mhz - a machine I've just sold...

Download link to the latest ver. 3.0b2. Just scroll past all the Intel
stuff, and you come to the PPC versions. The first one - the
"OOo_3.0.0beta2_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg" is US English, which also is
the one I'm using...
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0beta2/

AND - even better - There's now a 3.0.0rc1 available for both PPC and
Intel Macs and already in a lot of languages. - The
"OOo_3.0.0rc1_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg" is the one for you...
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc1/

>> It is more that three times as fast as NeoOffice and more than twice as
>> fast than both MSOffice 2004 and 2008! - And until now i haven't had a
>> single 'unexpected quit' with the last two builds of OOo3.0.
>> [...]
>> So what can't we expect, when first OpenOffice 3.0 Final is released? -
>> Mmmmm.... I can hardly wait.:-)
>
> Editing PDF created in other programs is one thing that I look forward to.
> Many thanks for your post, Erik.

I've just tried the latest dev. version, and it is even faster than the

offical 3.0.0b2. - I've also heard some rumors that a final version
maybe will be out late this autumn.

cheers, Erik Richard

Erik Richard Sørensen

Sep 7, 2008, 11:46:36 AM9/7/08

Mike Dee wrote:
> However. It has been good to see some progress with OO.o 3.0 but
> disappointingly next to impossible to DL PPC versions of the new beta
> versions of OO.o from www.openoffice.org itself.

Doesn't matter. - It made me go through the site, where OOO now are
hosting their packages and here I found the new RC1, which I mention in
the other answer...

> Why is that so? I can go to the maintainer site of the Mac OO.o packages
> and DL a PPC version of the latest beta but none are available from
> openoffice.org itself. And they don't make it very easy to locate one
> either, even though PPC versions are being packaged and maintained at the
> same time as Intel only Mac versions.

I think that OpenOffice org. has chosen to host all their packages on
one and the same server now, where the OOo projects are going to highly
global in more than 30 languages, so a centralized place for downloads
is quite a lot better.

> I would've thought that as long as Apple is still supporting PPC versions
> of it's OS, www.openoffice.org could do the same.
>
> OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta 2 runs very nicely on PPC Macs too (1Ghz DP QS
> 2002, running Tiger).

Yes, 3.0.0b2 is running quite fast and stable on both Tiger and Leopard
on both my QS Dual 1,8ghz and my MDD Dual 1ghz, so I look forward to try
out now the new 3.0.0rc1. - I've just downloaded both the PPC and Intel
versions, since my main machine is a Macpro QuadCore.:-)

Robert Peirce

Sep 7, 2008, 12:31:16 PM9/7/08
In article <pan.2008.05.11....@emteedee.invalid>,
Mike Dee <mik...@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 2008 02:35:35 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
>
> > Just a few words here... The Openoffice Aqua is still only an alpha
> > version, - not even a beta.:-)
> >
> > but when this said, I can only say that the last build of OpenOffice 3.0
> > Aqua is running very, very stable on both OS X 10.4.11PPC/10.5.2PPC as
> > well as on a MacPro with both 10.4.11 and 10.5.2.

I missed the original post but one of the things that impressed me is
that the spreadsheet could do fractional log scales, for example, 12-35
instead of 10-100. I haven't been able to do that since Improv, which I
sadly miss. We used Harvard Charts on our PCs, but even that had
problems with intentional gaps in the data. OpenOffice just seems to do
it right.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

Mike Dee

Sep 8, 2008, 8:42:33 PM9/8/08
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 17:46:36 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

> Mike Dee wrote:
>> However. It has been good to see some progress with OO.o 3.0 but
>> disappointingly next to impossible to DL PPC versions of the new beta
>> versions of OO.o from www.openoffice.org itself.
>
> Doesn't matter. - It made me go through the site, where OOO now are
> hosting their packages and here I found the new RC1, which I mention in
> the other answer...

Hello Erik Richard, Many thanks for your posts. I would still prefer to
see PPC versions on offer at OO.o's main site, after all, they are
available along with the others that are linked there. However, thank you
for the links to the PPC DLs. How did you discover those particular links?
I went through many posts at OO.o developers pages before I located an FTP
link to the actual Mac packagers site. I think from now on I will instead
be using the links that you supplied in your previous post to get my
binaries.

[...]

>> OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta 2 runs very nicely on PPC Macs too (1Ghz DP QS
>> 2002, running Tiger).
>
> Yes, 3.0.0b2 is running quite fast and stable on both Tiger and Leopard
> on both my QS Dual 1,8ghz and my MDD Dual 1ghz, so I look forward to try
> out now the new 3.0.0rc1. - I've just downloaded both the PPC and Intel
> versions, since my main machine is a Macpro QuadCore.:-)

I have DL'd vers 3 RC1 since your post and have it running nicely on my
Mac. It is a great suite, indeed. I no longer need to consider that
other Ms Office suite for the Mac.

Cheers.

--
dee

Erik Richard Sørensen

Sep 9, 2008, 5:45:20 PM9/9/08

Mike Dee wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 17:46:36 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:
>> Mike Dee wrote:
>>> However. It has been good to see some progress with OO.o 3.0 but
>>> disappointingly next to impossible to DL PPC versions of the new beta
>>> versions of OO.o from www.openoffice.org itself.
>> Doesn't matter. - It made me go through the site, where OOO now are
>> hosting their packages and here I found the new RC1, which I mention in
>> the other answer...
>
> Hello Erik Richard, Many thanks for your posts. I would still prefer to
> see PPC versions on offer at OO.o's main site, after all, they are
> available along with the others that are linked there. However, thank you
> for the links to the PPC DLs. How did you discover those particular links?
> I went through many posts at OO.o developers pages before I located an FTP
> link to the actual Mac packagers site. I think from now on I will instead
> be using the links that you supplied in your previous post to get my
> binaries.

I just seached the OOo in Versiontracker and instead of download, I
selected 'go to developer site', went down to 'OpenOffice aqua and
clicked the 'Download' link. This link redirected me to the FTP download
site, where all OpenOffice versions now are collected and hosted.

>>> OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta 2 runs very nicely on PPC Macs too (1Ghz DP QS
>>> 2002, running Tiger).
>> Yes, 3.0.0b2 is running quite fast and stable on both Tiger and Leopard
>> on both my QS Dual 1,8ghz and my MDD Dual 1ghz, so I look forward to try
>> out now the new 3.0.0rc1. - I've just downloaded both the PPC and Intel
>> versions, since my main machine is a Macpro QuadCore.:-)
>
> I have DL'd vers 3 RC1 since your post and have it running nicely on my
> Mac. It is a great suite, indeed. I no longer need to consider that
> other Ms Office suite for the Mac.

Yes, the same here, no more MSOffice versions will be bought for my
money - neither on OS X nor on my XPPro... Yet I don't even have the
Win-version of any MSO. - Instead I have chosen to get starOffice 8 from
the offer of Poogle Pack. And I've also installed the latest fnal ver.
of OOo - 2.4.1 on my xP. Both StarOffice and OOo for Windows are working
great aong with the OOo 3.0.0rc1 on the Mac side of my MacPro...

BUT - I've just tonight got a note that there can be a problem with
OpenOffice - any version in my experience, - if you're using
multilingual texts like Greek, Hebrew and Arabic, if the documents are
written in MSWord 2004/2008 for Mac or MSWord 2003/2007 for windows.

If the doc. is written using the MS Unicode version of Times New Roman,
it will show up quite garbaged if opened in OpenOffice (and NeoOffice
too). Fonts may also be changed from TNR to LucidaGrande or any other
Unicode font handled by OOo/NO.

But texts written in OpenOffice 3.0.0b2/3.0.0rc1 and again opened in any
version of NeoOffice or OpenOffice show up as they should do.

I've tracked the 'bug' down to that both OOo and No still can handle any
type of UTF - 7, 8, 16 and 32, but MSOffice since MSO2003/2004 only
handles UTF-16 and UTF-32, and the newest Times NR fonts are only
UTF-16/32 savvy and no longer support UTF-7 and UTF-8. the problem is
here that you can't change from UTF-16/32 to UTF-7/8 in the new versions
of MSWord. - So the problem is infact not on the OpenOffice side, but on
the MSWord side.

Cheers, Erik Richard

Mike Dee

Sep 10, 2008, 7:33:32 AM9/10/08
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 23:45:20 +0200, Erik Richard Sørensen wrote:

> Mike Dee wrote:
[...]

>> How did you discover those particular links?
>> I went through many posts at OO.o developers pages before I located an FTP
>> link to the actual Mac packagers site. I think from now on I will instead
>> be using the links that you supplied in your previous post to get my
>> binaries.
>
> I just seached the OOo in Versiontracker and instead of download, I

A very good tip, thanks :-)

> selected 'go to developer site', went down to 'OpenOffice aqua and
> clicked the 'Download' link. This link redirected me to the FTP download
> site, where all OpenOffice versions now are collected and hosted.

[...]

>> I have DL'd vers 3 RC1 since your post and have it running nicely on my
>> Mac. It is a great suite, indeed. I no longer need to consider that
>> other Ms Office suite for the Mac.
>
> Yes, the same here, no more MSOffice versions will be bought for my
> money - neither on OS X nor on my XPPro... Yet I don't even have the
> Win-version of any MSO. - Instead I have chosen to get starOffice 8 from
> the offer of Poogle Pack. And I've also installed the latest fnal ver.
> of OOo - 2.4.1 on my xP. Both StarOffice and OOo for Windows are working
> great aong with the OOo 3.0.0rc1 on the Mac side of my MacPro...
>
> BUT - I've just tonight got a note that there can be a problem with
> OpenOffice - any version in my experience, - if you're using
> multilingual texts like Greek, Hebrew and Arabic, if the documents are
> written in MSWord 2004/2008 for Mac or MSWord 2003/2007 for windows.

I have a distinct feeling that this will perhaps be an issue for you
rather than for me, E.R. (I'm going by the hints in your sig file here).

I am (sadly) mono-lingual (ex New Zealand).

> If the doc. is written using the MS Unicode version of Times New Roman,
> it will show up quite garbaged if opened in OpenOffice (and NeoOffice
> too). Fonts may also be changed from TNR to LucidaGrande or any other
> Unicode font handled by OOo/NO.
>
> But texts written in OpenOffice 3.0.0b2/3.0.0rc1 and again opened in any
> version of NeoOffice or OpenOffice show up as they should do.
>
> I've tracked the 'bug' down to that both OOo and No still can handle any
> type of UTF - 7, 8, 16 and 32, but MSOffice since MSO2003/2004 only
> handles UTF-16 and UTF-32, and the newest Times NR fonts are only
> UTF-16/32 savvy and no longer support UTF-7 and UTF-8. the problem is
> here that you can't change from UTF-16/32 to UTF-7/8 in the new versions
> of MSWord. - So the problem is infact not on the OpenOffice side, but on
> the MSWord side.

I see, well that infact makes perfect sense to me (MS would be the one to
want to have it it's own way ultimately). Perhaps it may take MS some time
to make amends in this area and produce patches to rectify the situation
(if ever).

Many thanks again, Erik Richard. For your helpful help and knowledge.

Regards, Mike.

--
dee

Fred Moore

Sep 10, 2008, 10:51:38 PM9/10/08
In article <48c6ee70$0$3085$ba62...@nntp02.dk.telia.net>,

Erik Richard Sørensen <NOS...@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> I just seached the OOo in Versiontracker and instead of download, I
> selected 'go to developer site', went down to 'OpenOffice aqua and
> clicked the 'Download' link. This link redirected me to the FTP download
> site, where all OpenOffice versions now are collected and hosted.

Here is the direct link to the numerous downloads--Intel/PPC & all
Languages (I don't remember seeing it in this thread or I may have
missed it.):
<http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc1/>

The PPC US-English version is here:
<http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc1/OOo_3
.0.0rc1_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg>

--Fred

Mike Dee

Sep 11, 2008, 9:14:49 AM9/11/08
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:51:38 -0400, Fred Moore wrote:

> Here is the direct link to the numerous downloads--Intel/PPC & all
> Languages (I don't remember seeing it in this thread or I may have
> missed it.):
> <http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc1/>
>
> The PPC US-English version is here:
> <http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/3.0.0rc1/OOo_3
> .0.0rc1_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg>

You missed it, but thanks anyway (someone else may've missed it too).

--
dee