Mail app Problems - Need advice

Mirsky

May 11, 2007, 9:51:06 PM5/11/07
Hi. I am using OS 10.4.9 and Mail app. In the past few days, Mail has
been giving me some trouble. When I click on the Junk button, or the
Not Junk button to change the status of an email, my cursor turns into
the beachball icon and it just keeps spinning. I end up having to force
the program to quit. The problem even occurs when I drag an email from
my Inbox to the Junk Folder. I reinstalled Mail app from a backup but
the problem persists. Are there some of the files in the System folder
that I should delete? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mirsky

Barry Margolin

May 11, 2007, 9:58:28 PM5/11/07
In article <mirsky-9462EB....@news.verizon.net>,
Mirsky <mir...@mirsky.com> wrote:

Are you using JunkMatcher? See
<http://junkmatcher.sourceforge.net/Howto/Troubleshooting/index.html#Whit
elistGroupLimit>

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Garner Miller

May 11, 2007, 10:00:04 PM5/11/07

You might first try rebuilding the mailboxes and see if that fixes the
issue. To do that, select the mailbox you want to rebuild (I'd start
with "Inbox" and "Junk"), and go to the Mailbox menu, down to the
"Rebuild" command at the bottom. Once you've done that for both
mailboxes, try to Junk something and see if it works.

Does that help?

Clive

May 12, 2007, 5:28:21 AM5/12/07
As Barry Margolin has asked - are you using JunkMatcher?

If so, these are the steps correct it:
1. Quit Mail.app
2. Place to following three folder/files in the Trash -
a) Users / 'your user name' / Library / Application Support /
JunkMatcher
b) Users / 'your user name' / Library / Mail / Bundles /
JunkMatcher.mailbundle
c) Users / 'your user name' / Library / Preferences /
edu.cmu.cs.benhdj.JunkMatcher.plist
3. Empty the Trash
4. Open Applications, and double click on JunkMatcher. This will
then go through a very quick, easy installation.
5. Re-open Mail.app

I've had the problem on three occasions (on three separate Macs) over
the last year. All were cured with the above.
Otherwise, I think JunkMatcher is excellent.
Of course, if you don't have JunkMatcher, then this won't cure it!
Clive