What utilities are critical for Mac OS X?

Jeff Collins

Apr 14, 2002, 9:49:30 AM4/14/02
In article <1018763562.958888@yasure>, d <"<nospamforme"@thanks.com>>
wrote:

> What essential patches and utilities have you found for Mac OS X that
> you would recommend to someone struggling with (and struggling to like)
> Mac OS X?

All the below are listed on <http://www.versiontracker.com>:

ASM (Provides an application menu in the upper-right corner)
FruitMenu (Gives you back your Apple Menu)
TinkerTool (Set more settings, like double scroll arrows and fonts)
FileXaminer (Gives you a better get-info window)
FishPad (Scratch pad for X)
Excaliber 4 (Spell checker for X)
EggTimer (A simple alarm clock/countdown timer)

You can get all the above for a total of $23.

Two other programs that also make life in X good:
PowerMail (It's the mail program closest to Emailer for X)
Retrospect Express (Does backups like nobody's business)
BBEdit Lite (Free text editor with big punch)

I think PowerMail and Retrospect are each about $40 or so.

hth,
Jeff

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals.
I'm a vegetarian because I hate vegetables.

tangle...@yahoo.com

Apr 14, 2002, 2:34:38 PM4/14/02
wrote:

> What essential patches and utilities have you found for Mac OS X that
> you would recommend to someone struggling with (and struggling to like)
> Mac OS X?

The only thing I've added on that I find immensely useful is Windowshade X
(from unsanity.com). If you don't miss Windowshading from OS9, no need to
bother, but if you do, this will give it back to you. Costs $7.

--
For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance. For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build

Stephen M. Henning

Apr 14, 2002, 7:08:46 PM4/14/02
d <"<nospamforme"@thanks.com>> wrote:

> What essential patches and utilities have you found for Mac OS X that
> you would recommend to someone struggling with (and struggling to like)
> Mac OS X?

MacJanitor (freeware) is necessary if you shut your mac off at night.

Disk Utility which came with OS X has Disk First Aid, etc.

The Apple utilities at: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/

An of course, use Software Update regularly.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to shen...@fast.net
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning

Charles Martin

Apr 15, 2002, 6:43:26 AM4/15/02
In article <collij2-ED5976...@news.bellatlantic.net>,
Jeff Collins <col...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1018763562.958888@yasure>, d <"<nospamforme"@thanks.com>>
> wrote:
>
> > What essential patches and utilities have you found for Mac OS X that
> > you would recommend to someone struggling with (and struggling to like)
> > Mac OS X?
>
> All the below are listed on <http://www.versiontracker.com>:
>
> ASM (Provides an application menu in the upper-right corner)
> FruitMenu (Gives you back your Apple Menu)

These are really only for people who resist change and prefer to stick
with "how Classic does it." Not that there's anything wrong with that.

> TinkerTool (Set more settings, like double scroll arrows and fonts)
> FileXaminer (Gives you a better get-info window)
> FishPad (Scratch pad for X)
> Excaliber 4 (Spell checker for X)

It should be pointed out that Mac OS X comes with a built in,
system-wide spellcheck that any Cocoa app can take advantage of.
Excalibur is handy now, but as time goes on and more apps become "cuckoo
for Cocoa" (well, it's better than "Cocoa-ised," isn't it?), Excalibur
will become less useful.

> You can get all the above for a total of $23.

Shareware: the best value in the Mac community, hands down.

> Two other programs that also make life in X good:
> PowerMail (It's the mail program closest to Emailer for X)

If you liked or are used to Emailer. If not, Eudora or Mail.app or
Entourage might better meet your needs.

> Retrospect Express (Does backups like nobody's business)
> BBEdit Lite (Free text editor with big punch)
>
> I think PowerMail and Retrospect are each about $40 or so.

Retrospect Express is included as part of the $100 Norton SystemWorks
package, which includes further utilities of great use.

I can't believe you didn't mention Diskwarrior!

--
Dell, the computer of choice for mentally-stunted potheads.

Phil Stripling

Apr 15, 2002, 12:48:30 PM4/15/02
Charles Martin <rub...@bollocks.org> writes:

> Excalibur is handy now, but as time goes on and more apps become "cuckoo
> for Cocoa" (well, it's better than "Cocoa-ised," isn't it?), Excalibur

Only if you're so old you remember the commercial. :->

http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | civex.com is read daily.

Russell E. Owen

Apr 15, 2002, 5:00:03 PM4/15/02
wrote:

>As a longtime Mac user, I'm trying to make the switch to Mac OS X (and
>it has been a bumpy road so far). To me at least, out of the box,
>without any third party extensions and modifications, the old
>("classic") Mac OS is fairly limited in some ways, but I've got mine
>customized nicely so it's very easy and convenient. Out of the box, the
>"stock" Mac OS X feels to me to be similarly limited. So what is there
>available for Mac OS X to "improve and extend" it and make it more fully
>functional (and convenient) akin to a nicely customized Mac OS 9.x?

>What essential patches and utilities have you found for Mac OS X that
>you would recommend to someone struggling with (and struggling to like)
>Mac OS X?
>

>Thanks for any suggestions.

I highly recommend:
- XRay: a souped up show info that allows changing most things,
including creator codes, privileges, etc. There are alternatives, but
XRay was the standout for me when I looked.
- Synchronize Pro X: file synch utility; great for fast backups of
oft-used files (e.g. to a removable disk of some kind). I've tried the
competition, but prefer this program for power and ease of use.
- Retrospect: for full-disk backups
- DropStuff and DropZip
- DragThing: excellent launcher. Handles files and folders much better
than the dock, due to its incredible flexibility. (Heck, it handles
everything better than the #@$# dock.)

I just started using CopyPath (copies the unix or mac-like path of a
file or set of files); I suspect it'll prove.indispensable.

I'm trying LaunchBar, which offers a simple way to launch applications
(and open other kinds of files if you configure that). I still have
mixed feelings but may get hooked.

Also, to help with programming or unix-ish tasks, use fink to install
the software. I used it to install python (a very nice free language)
and xfree86 (an X server, so I can build GUI apps with python).

I'm still looking for:
- A replacement for FileTyper (for mass conversion of files that meet
certain criteria).
- A way to configure file extension/application mappings (Internet
Explorer does helper apps, which isn't entirely the same thing).
- A way to disable the @#$@# dock or at least make it not float.
- A way to prevent IE and Mail from always being the default helper
apps, no matter what I try to configure in System Preferences. (I can
get OmniWeb to stick for a little while as the web app, but I can't get
iCab to even do that much and Eudora also seems a lost cause). I even
tried editing what was supposed to be the proper .plist file, but
somehow the system managed to override my changes there, as well. Grr.

-- Russell
--
Return owen
address astro

Stephen M. Henning

Apr 15, 2002, 9:06:46 PM4/15/02
"Russell E. Owen" <ow...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> - Synchronize Pro X: file synch utility; great for fast backups of
> oft-used files (e.g. to a removable disk of some kind). I've tried the
> competition, but prefer this program for power and ease of use.

Apples File Sychronization in the classic mode works great and is free.
I copied it from my iBook. I routinely use it to synchronize 4 GB
folders. I really can't justify paying $100 for a file copy program
like Sychronize Pro X.

I. Balbin

Apr 15, 2002, 9:28:49 PM4/15/02
in article pighash-575000...@news7.fast.net, Stephen M. Henning
at pig...@aol.com wrote on 16/4/02 11:06 AM:

> "Russell E. Owen" <ow...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> - Synchronize Pro X: file synch utility; great for fast backups of
>> oft-used files (e.g. to a removable disk of some kind). I've tried the
>> competition, but prefer this program for power and ease of use.
>
> Apples File Sychronization in the classic mode works great and is free.
> I copied it from my iBook. I routinely use it to synchronize 4 GB
> folders. I really can't justify paying $100 for a file copy program
> like Sychronize Pro X.

Does (the Classic Version of) Apple File Synchronisation honour group owner,
setuid and other Unix related concerns around files and folders when it does
the copying.

Stephen M. Henning

Apr 15, 2002, 11:25:53 PM4/15/02
"I. Balbin" <is...@cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote:

> Does (the Classic Version of) Apple File Synchronisation honour group owner,
> setuid and other Unix related concerns around files and folders when it does
> the copying.

It synchronizes folders and maintains whatever priviledges the files and
folders have. I have a desktop with 2 drives and an iBook with 1 drive.
I maintain my data files and internet files on all 3 drives and
synchronize them with Apple's File Synchronization.

Avery Raskin

Apr 16, 2002, 3:25:43 AM4/16/02
In article <a9ff0l$iuc$1...@nntp6.u.washington.edu>,

"Russell E. Owen" <ow...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1018763562.958888@yasure>, d <"<nospamforme"@thanks.com>>
> wrote:
>

> >(snip)

> >What essential patches and utilities have you found for Mac OS X that
> >you would recommend to someone struggling with (and struggling to like)
> >Mac OS X?

> I highly recommend:

> - XRay: a souped up show info that allows changing most things,
> including creator codes, privileges, etc. There are alternatives, but
> XRay was the standout for me when I looked.

Nice, yes.

> - Synchronize Pro X: file synch utility; great for fast backups of
> oft-used files (e.g. to a removable disk of some kind). I've tried the
> competition, but prefer this program for power and ease of use.

I prefer Backup ToolKit...

> - Retrospect: for full-disk backups

Backup Toolkit again...

> - DropStuff and DropZip

Well yes, but for zip files, ZipIt is superior to StuffIt.

> - DragThing: excellent launcher. Handles files and folders much better
> than the dock, due to its incredible flexibility. (Heck, it handles
> everything better than the #@$# dock.)
>
> I just started using CopyPath (copies the unix or mac-like path of a
> file or set of files); I suspect it'll prove.indispensable.
>
> I'm trying LaunchBar, which offers a simple way to launch applications
> (and open other kinds of files if you configure that). I still have
> mixed feelings but may get hooked.

Dragthing I don't know, though I've heard good things about it.
LaunchBar is FABULOUS - you will get hooked, believe me.

> I'm still looking for:
> - A replacement for FileTyper (for mass conversion of files that meet
> certain criteria).

XRay, CopyPath and FileTyper all wrapped into one package still couldn't
hold a candle to File Buddy - the original and still the best.

> - A way to configure file extension/application mappings (Internet
> Explorer does helper apps, which isn't entirely the same thing).

You do that in Finder - Show Info, Open With, Change All.

> - A way to disable the @#$@# dock or at least make it not float.

Turn hiding on. Then don't drag your mouse to the very bottom of the
screen and you won't see it again. With LaunchBar, you don't need to see
it. Add MaxMenus and you REALLY won't need it again

> - A way to prevent IE and Mail from always being the default helper
> apps, no matter what I try to configure in System Preferences. (I can
> get OmniWeb to stick for a little while as the web app, but I can't get
> iCab to even do that much and Eudora also seems a lost cause).

Really? I've never lost Eudora as my default, though it's true that IE
"reclaims" the browser preference now and then. I also can't stand than
OmniWeb claims FTP for itself and forces me to keep specifying
Interarchy.

> I even
> tried editing what was supposed to be the proper .plist file, but
> somehow the system managed to override my changes there, as well. Grr.

plist is just a preference file. It gets written to.

tangle...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2002, 4:16:32 AM4/16/02
Russell E. Owen <ow...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> - A way to prevent IE and Mail from always being the default helper
> apps, no matter what I try to configure in System Preferences. (I can
> get OmniWeb to stick for a little while as the web app, but I can't get
> iCab to even do that much and Eudora also seems a lost cause).

With regard to OmniWeb, I had the same complaint until I realized it only
happened when I upgraded to new versions of OmniWeb. I tend to upgrade by
dragging the old app into the trash, and dragging the new app into the
Applications folder. Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way; it works, but it
does reset the default browser to IE. It's easy to fix, although annoying.

--
The doctrine of human equality reposes on this: that there is no man really
clever who has not found that he is stupid. -Gilbert K. Chesterson

dmeyer...@panix.com

Apr 16, 2002, 9:26:00 AM4/16/02
tangle...@yahoo.com writes:
> Russell E. Owen <ow...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > - A way to prevent IE and Mail from always being the default
> > helper apps, no matter what I try to configure in System
> > Preferences. (I can get OmniWeb to stick for a little while as the
> > web app, but I can't get iCab to even do that much and Eudora also
> > seems a lost cause).
>
> With regard to OmniWeb, I had the same complaint until I realized it
> only happened when I upgraded to new versions of OmniWeb. I tend to
> upgrade by dragging the old app into the trash, and dragging the new
> app into the Applications folder. Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way;
> it works, but it does reset the default browser to IE. It's easy to
> fix, although annoying.

You have to edit a .plist file.

Dang. I can't get to MacOSX Hints at the moment.

Go there and search for OmniWeb and Default Browser.

Or search the google archives. In fact, I just did
and found the very article *I* wrote about this before.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=yob3d0pdsnq.fsf%40panix3.panix.com&output=gplain

Detailed explanation:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200110120742326

The short story is that it's controlled by:

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Internet.prefPane/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DefaultHelperApps.plist

And that browsers are "found" via the BundleIdentifier.

See the article for more details.

--d

--
Please don't use HTML in e-mail. Here's how not to:
http://support.pinehurst.net/email/nomime.html

Russell E. Owen

Apr 16, 2002, 1:05:31 PM4/16/02
In article <avery9000-126CC...@shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,
Avery Raskin <aver...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <a9ff0l$iuc$1...@nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
> "Russell E. Owen" <ow...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I'm still looking for:
>> - A replacement for FileTyper (for mass conversion of files that meet
>> certain criteria).
>
>XRay, CopyPath and FileTyper all wrapped into one package still couldn't
>hold a candle to File Buddy - the original and still the best.

From what I can see, File Buddy droplets have no filtering. They will
change ANY file dropped on them. (I've evaluated it several times and
always gone back to other apps; I just checked it out again at your
recommendation).

I want filtering, so I can drop folders of mixed files on a droplet and
have only a subset of the files (such as "all text files that end in
.html") converted. FileTyper does that beautifully, but is not MacOS X
native (at least last I checked).

If FileBuddy can make droplets that include such filtering, that would
be great! I'd love a hint as to how to do it.

>> - A way to configure file extension/application mappings (Internet
>> Explorer does helper apps, which isn't entirely the same thing).
>
>You do that in Finder - Show Info, Open With, Change All.

I've been doing that, but it doesn't affect the icons of existing files
(annoying) and I haven't determined if it affects newly downloaded files
(I think you're suggesting it does, which is great news if so).

>> - A way to disable the @#$@# dock or at least make it not float.
>
>Turn hiding on. Then don't drag your mouse to the very bottom of the
>screen and you won't see it again. With LaunchBar, you don't need to see
>it. Add MaxMenus and you REALLY won't need it again

I do that now. It's better than nothing, but I'd prefer to just ditch
the dock and use DragThing.

>> - A way to prevent IE and Mail from always being the default helper
>> apps, no matter what I try to configure in System Preferences. (I can
>> get OmniWeb to stick for a little while as the web app, but I can't get
>> iCab to even do that much and Eudora also seems a lost cause).
>
>Really? I've never lost Eudora as my default, though it's true that IE
>"reclaims" the browser preference now and then. I also can't stand than
>OmniWeb claims FTP for itself and forces me to keep specifying
>Interarchy.

All I know is that most or all programs launch Mail. Maybe these
settings get reset whenever I upgrade. I can try editing the appropriate
.plist file again, as another poster suggested -- it has clearly worked
for some users. Maybe I made some kind of mistake last time (like not
quitting all programs that used the file, or allowing some program to
rewrite the file). (And maybe Apple should fix their defective prefs
system for helper applications.)

Jeff Collins

Apr 16, 2002, 2:52:29 PM4/16/02
In article <a9hlkt$1bbm$1...@nntp6.u.washington.edu>,

"Russell E. Owen" <ow...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> >> - A way to disable the @#$@# dock or at least make it not float.
> >
> >Turn hiding on. Then don't drag your mouse to the very bottom of the
> >screen and you won't see it again. With LaunchBar, you don't need to see
> >it. Add MaxMenus and you REALLY won't need it again
>
> I do that now. It's better than nothing, but I'd prefer to just ditch
> the dock and use DragThing.

You can disable the dock by opening a terminal window and typing the
following: 'sudo mv /system/library/CoreServices/Dock.app
/system/library/CoreServices/oldDock.app' Then logout and back in.
Dock's gone!

This renames the dock application in the core services directory and
keeps the dock from starting when you log in.

If you really want to be fancy, you can probably mv DragThing to the
coreservices directory and name *it* 'Dock.app'. (I haven't tried this
with DT, so I'm not sure it'll work. The technique does work to replace
the Finder with an alternative, so I think it'll work for the dock too.)

cheers,

Marc Bizer

Apr 16, 2002, 11:25:55 PM4/16/02
In article <collij2-EAF7B6...@news.bellatlantic.net>,
Jeff Collins <col...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> You can disable the dock by opening a terminal window and typing the
> following: 'sudo mv /system/library/CoreServices/Dock.app
> /system/library/CoreServices/oldDock.app' Then logout and back in.
> Dock's gone!
>
> This renames the dock application in the core services directory and
> keeps the dock from starting when you log in.
>
> If you really want to be fancy, you can probably mv DragThing to the
> coreservices directory and name *it* 'Dock.app'. (I haven't tried this
> with DT, so I'm not sure it'll work. The technique does work to replace
> the Finder with an alternative, so I think it'll work for the dock too.)

What happens if an app posts a modification when

1) the dock has been renamed

2) Drag Thing has been renamed to the dock?

--Marc

Jeff Collins

Apr 16, 2002, 11:40:16 PM4/16/02
In article
<mbizer-56D859....@newssvr30-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
Marc Bizer <mbi...@mac.com> wrote:

> What happens if an app posts a modification when
>
> 1) the dock has been renamed

Apparently nothing. Remember the person wanted to *get rid* or his/her
dock.

> 2) Drag Thing has been renamed to the dock?

Dunno about #2. Try it and see.

Cheers,

Marc Bizer

Apr 18, 2002, 12:07:53 AM4/18/02
In article <collij2-94A55E...@news.bellatlantic.net>,
Jeff Collins <col...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> > What happens if an app posts a modification when
> >
> > 1) the dock has been renamed
>
> Apparently nothing. Remember the person wanted to *get rid* or his/her
> dock.

I meant, "what happens when an app tries to post a *notification* when
the dock is not running?"

--Marc

Marc Bizer

Apr 19, 2002, 8:20:31 AM4/19/02

> XRay, CopyPath and FileTyper all wrapped into one package still couldn't
> hold a candle to File Buddy - the original and still the best.

Unfortunately, FileBuddy 7 can't change permissions yet.

--Marc

zoara

May 6, 2002, 3:14:00 PM5/6/02
<dmeyer...@panix.com> wrote:

> Detailed explanation:
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200110120742326
>
> The short story is that it's controlled by:

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Internet.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Eng
lish.lproj/DefaultHelperApps.plist

> And that browsers are "found" via the BundleIdentifier.

Wow, thanks.

-z-

--
The devil may have the best tunes, but his operating system sucks.