Textedit dos not recognize text encoding

Michaël Grünewald

Dec 8, 2007, 3:01:45 AM12/8/07

I work a lot with files encoded in ISO8859-15. Textedit has an option
to automatically file charset at startup, despite I have activated
that option, Textedit still doesn't recognize encoding of these files.

Did anyone encoutered the same problem? How did you solve it?
--
All the best,
Michaël

Király

Dec 8, 2007, 5:47:14 PM12/8/07

Yes, I have encountered similar problems with Leopard's TextEdit
and character sets, and don't know how to fix it.

$ echo é > ~/abc.txt
$ cat ~/abc.txt

So that works. But open ~/abc.txt with TextEdit, and I get:

Duh. Tiger's TextEdit was smarter. Post back if you discover a fix.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

nunojo...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2007, 11:25:41 AM12/25/07
>Post back if you discover a fix.

Fix: http://nunojob.wordpress.com/2007/12/25/from-ubuntuwindows-to-mac-os-x-leopard/
It's for migration stuff from ubuntu linux to mac os x leopard. IF it
doesn't work just find out in what encoding is the file and then
transform it to UTF-8.