X11 and dual Monitors on Leopard

1 view

David Barto

Nov 6, 2007, 9:30:21 PM11/6/07
I've got 2 monitors on Leopard and I can't get X to move windows between
them. They come up on the monitor with the Mac Menubar, and won't move
off.

Anybody know what to do? I can't find any information about enabling
xinerama for this version of X11.

David

Steve Hix

Nov 6, 2007, 10:27:31 PM11/6/07
In article <1i75dos.10unvyokgn542N%david...@viasat.com>,
david...@viasat.com (David Barto) wrote:

> I've got 2 monitors on Leopard and I can't get X to move windows between
> them. They come up on the monitor with the Mac Menubar, and won't move
> off.

That's odd. It worked fine under Tiger.

> Anybody know what to do? I can't find any information about enabling
> xinerama for this version of X11.

Why would you need to do that? Maybe something is broken in Leopard,
X11-wise, but it worked properly under Tiger; I use it daily for work,
ssh-ing into my office workstation from home. And never any need to use
xinerama.

I won't be upgrading the iMac, which is what I've got with dual monitors
set up, for a couple of weeks until I take vacation, since it's my
work-critical machine.

Cosmik de Bris

Nov 6, 2007, 11:08:12 PM11/6/07

I can't help you fix it but I can confirm the behaviour. It was not
there in Tiger 10.4.10 but has been there in all betas and the
production version of Leopard.

The window does move part way across to the next monitor but the mouse
cannot grab the window bar when it gets to the second monitor.

Bob Harris

Nov 7, 2007, 7:58:15 AM11/7/07
In article <47312e6f$0$26420$8826...@free.teranews.com>,

Bummer! I have a dual headed system at work, and I use X11
constantly.

Has anyone tried using the -geometry option to explicitly position
a window? For example:

xload +2000+100

Assuming the first screen has 1280 pixels across, this would put
the xload window at pixel 720 across on the 2nd screen, and down
100 pixels from the top.

This would NOT be idea, but it might be a way to limp along if it
worked.

Everyone, please file a bug report against Leopard X11 so that
there is some hope of a fix in the near future.

Bob Harris

Bob Harris

Nov 7, 2007, 9:11:39 PM11/7/07
In article
<nospam.News.Bob-45...@news.verizon.net>,
Bob Harris <nospam....@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

Answering my own question about using -geometry, "No Joy". If
the value is larger than the monitor with the Menu Bar, the window
appears at the far left.

So again, everyone that uses X11, please file a bug report with
Apple (even if you only use a single monitor). At the minimum
<http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html>
The more reports we can get filed, the more likely something will
be done in the near term.

Bob Harris

David Barto

Nov 13, 2007, 8:25:27 AM11/13/07
Bob Harris <nospam....@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

Problem - Fixed.

Get the new X11 software from http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin.

Apple is working hard on the problems related to the Leopard release of
the X11 software.

David

Cosmik de Bris

Nov 13, 2007, 5:37:37 PM11/13/07
David Barto wrote:
> Bob Harris <nospam....@remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

> Problem - Fixed.
>
> Get the new X11 software from http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin.
>
> Apple is working hard on the problems related to the Leopard release of
> the X11 software.
>
> David

Thanks, good work.

Bob Harris

Feb 12, 2008, 7:28:34 PM2/12/08

Mac OS X 10.5.2 seems to have fixed Multiple Monitor X11 support.

I installed 10.5.2 last night, and this morning I connected a
MacBook Pro to an external monitor and was able to freely move
X-Windows anywhere on the 2 displays.

This was not listed in the official release notes that I saw, but
having heard they make tons of fixes, I figured I would give this
a try, and it worked.

Bob Harris