Best Small Business Accounting Package

Poe

Oct 16, 2007, 10:54:22 AM10/16/07

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a MacBook and would like to use it as my
primary system. To do so will require me to use it for managing my small
business. What does everyone consider the best small business accounting
package for that platform? I need only the most basic functionality -
tracking of spending, income, and tax prep. I don't manufacture
anything, don't need to project future earnings, or anything fancy. Is
QuickBooks a good choice?

Sorry if this has been discussed before - I looked thru old threads but
didn't see exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Message has been deleted

Bill

Oct 16, 2007, 4:28:00 PM10/16/07
In article <5nk1muF...@mid.individual.net>,
Poe <hau...@terrible-thought.com> wrote:

Have a look at MYOB. See
http://myob.com/

--
For email, change <fake> to <earthlink>
Bill Collins

Jeffrey Goldberg

Oct 17, 2007, 11:19:53 PM10/17/07

> I am the proud new owner of a MacBook and would like to use it as my primary
> system. To do so will require me to use it for managing my small business.
> What does everyone consider the best small business accounting package for
> that platform? I need only the most basic functionality - tracking of
> spending, income, and tax prep. I don't manufacture anything, don't need to
> project future earnings, or anything fancy. Is QuickBooks a good choice?

What I use isn't what I'd necessarily recommend. I use gnucash. This is
not really a native Mac application, but depends on the X-Windows system.
If you don't know what that is, then ignore this "recommendation".

But if you are moving from something like Linux (as I did) then GnuCash
may work well for you. It is a double entry system. If you don't know
that that is, then that is just another reason to ignore this
"recommendation".

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.

Tom Harrington

Oct 17, 2007, 11:24:40 PM10/17/07
In article <alpine.OSX.0.9999....@hagrid.local>,
Jeffrey Goldberg <nob...@goldmark.org> wrote:

> In <5nk1muF...@mid.individual.net>, Poe wrote:
>
> > I am the proud new owner of a MacBook and would like to use it as my
> > primary
> > system. To do so will require me to use it for managing my small business.
> > What does everyone consider the best small business accounting package for
> > that platform? I need only the most basic functionality - tracking of
> > spending, income, and tax prep. I don't manufacture anything, don't need to
> > project future earnings, or anything fancy. Is QuickBooks a good choice?
>
> What I use isn't what I'd necessarily recommend. I use gnucash. This is
> not really a native Mac application, but depends on the X-Windows system.
> If you don't know what that is, then ignore this "recommendation".

And here I thought I was the only one using GnuCash on a Mac. :-)

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
FIVE YEARS as an independent Mac developer