Turbolinux ships first Wizpy handhelds GOODBYE iPod!

roysche...@yahoo.com

Feb 23, 2007, 12:23:54 PM2/23/07
http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1

So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
much, much, much better?

Troy McClure

Feb 23, 2007, 12:58:29 PM2/23/07
so who needs a BMW when they can have a Kia?

<roysche...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

jjwass...@yahoo.com

Feb 23, 2007, 1:03:56 PM2/23/07
On Feb 23, 12:28 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com>
wrote:
> __/ [ Philip ] on Friday 23 February 2007 16:39 \__
>
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1
>
> It'll probably be big in the east, at least initially. The concept of being
> able to carry your data, settings (personalisation), and apps around, _as
> well as_ play music on the go, is that vision of running your PC from an
> iPod (circa 2004-2005). Instead of computer as a relic or the network is the
> computer, all just sits there in your pocket, so you only need to rent some
> hardware. What's in your pocket can also be accessed as though it was a PDA,
> but access then takes a minimal form. Ultimately, our phones could become a
> PC, or at least what drives it. The network might complement this and, being
> a phone, it'll synchronise with what's in the pocket.
>
> How does Windows (or even Mac OS) fit into all of this? For Linux, it is
> already a natural fit.
>

> ~~ Best wishes
>
> Network traffic is being polluted by SPAM. Help the Internet. Adopt *nix.http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT Linux |
> 5:20pm up 31 days 17:38, 8 users, load average: 1.63, 1.24, 1.04
> http://iuron.com- Open Source knowledge engine project

Yea, Linux sure is a natural fit.
Nobody is using Wizpy and nobody is using desktop Linux either.
It's a match made in heaven.

You Linux freaks are living in your own world.
Stop eating pizza, drinking Jolt, living in your mothers basement and
come out into the light once in a while.
You might be surprised to find that most people have never even heard
of Linux let alone are using Linux.

And will you please stop spamming?

RobDee

Feb 23, 2007, 1:28:06 PM2/23/07

<roysche...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1
>
> So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
> much, much, much better?

246 useless dollars for 2GB - and u say the ipod's overpriced!

"the 2gb *may* be a bit low for video" - pah! 2 crappy GB - joke city,
Arizona! For same price I got an Archos 160GB - a proper video / MP3/4
recorder / player

And as its linux - folks will spend all their time tweaking it to get it to
half work!

Lol

Alan Baker

Feb 23, 2007, 1:42:39 PM2/23/07
In article <1172251434....@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
roysche...@yahoo.com wrote:

Wow.

Another "iPod killer".

Check back with us in six months...

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone and how he missed

Lefty Bigfoot

Feb 23, 2007, 4:34:56 PM2/23/07
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:42:39 -0600, Alan Baker wrote
(in article <alangbaker-99F2B...@news.telus.net>):

> In article <1172251434....@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> roysche...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1
>>
>> So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
>> much, much, much better?
>
> Wow.
>
> Another "iPod killer".
>
> Check back with us in six months...

Maybe it'll be a real smash hit and outsell the Zune.

rofl

--
Lefty
All of God's creatures have a place..........

Edwin

Feb 23, 2007, 8:06:23 PM2/23/07
On Feb 23, 12:42 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> In article <1172251434.536084.70...@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> royschestow...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1
>
> > So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
> > much, much, much better?
>
> Wow.
>
> Another "iPod killer".
>
> Check back with us in six months...

Why in six months? What's going to be your measure of quality then,
market share?

If the Wizpy isn't outselling the iPod by then, it'll just remind us
of how Mercedes doesn't outsell Chevrolet...

Mitch

Feb 23, 2007, 10:11:45 PM2/23/07

Well, it doesn't have such a strong screen, it competes only with the 2
and 4 GB models, the player sounds pretty unglamorous, and it isn't
priced very differently.
So if the iPod is overpriced, so is this.
And in what way is the Linux "much better?"

Alan Baker

Feb 23, 2007, 10:22:27 PM2/23/07
In article <1172279183.7...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 12:42 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> > In article <1172251434.536084.70...@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > royschestow...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > >http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1
> >
> > > So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
> > > much, much, much better?
> >
> > Wow.
> >
> > Another "iPod killer".
> >
> > Check back with us in six months...
>
> Why in six months? What's going to be your measure of quality then,
> market share?

What do you think "GOODBYE iPod" implies, if not that this will put an
end to the iPod.

> If the Wizpy isn't outselling the iPod by then, it'll just remind us
> of how Mercedes doesn't outsell Chevrolet...

And the iPod won't have wave "GOODBYE", will it?

Nashton

Feb 24, 2007, 11:50:41 AM2/24/07
Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <1172279183.7...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 23, 12:42 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:

>>> Wow.
>>>
>>> Another "iPod killer".
>>>
>>> Check back with us in six months...
>> Why in six months? What's going to be your measure of quality then,
>> market share?
>
> What do you think "GOODBYE iPod" implies, if not that this will put an
> end to the iPod.
>
>> If the Wizpy isn't outselling the iPod by then, it'll just remind us
>> of how Mercedes doesn't outsell Chevrolet...
>
> And the iPod won't have wave "GOODBYE", will it?

Has Baker lost it *completely*?

--

Nicolas

Nashton

Feb 24, 2007, 11:51:42 AM2/24/07
Lefty Bigfoot wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:42:39 -0600, Alan Baker wrote
> (in article <alangbaker-99F2B...@news.telus.net>):
>
>> In article <1172251434....@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> roysche...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1
>>>
>>> So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
>>> much, much, much better?
>> Wow.
>>
>> Another "iPod killer".
>>
>> Check back with us in six months...
>
> Maybe it'll be a real smash hit and outsell the Zune.
>
> rofl

Maybe it'll be a hit and perform like Apple, with a 2.2 % global market
share;)

rofl

--

Nicolas

KDT

Feb 25, 2007, 1:59:51 AM2/25/07
On Feb 24, 11:51 am, Nashton <n...@na.ca> wrote:
> Lefty Bigfoot wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:42:39 -0600, Alan Baker wrote
> > (in article <alangbaker-99F2B6.10423923022...@news.telus.net>):

> >> Wow.
>
> >> Another "iPod killer".
>
> >> Check back with us in six months...
>
> > Maybe it'll be a real smash hit and outsell the Zune.
>
> > rofl
>
> Maybe it'll be a hit and perform like Apple, with a 2.2 % global market
> share;)

I'm sure Apple would love to sell 10 times as many computers and make
less money than they currently do (i.e. Dell).

> --
>
> Nicolas

Edwin

Feb 25, 2007, 7:19:21 AM2/25/07
On Feb 23, 9:22 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> In article <1172279183.774024.174...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,

> "Edwin" <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 23, 12:42 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:

> > > Wow.
>
> > > Another "iPod killer".
>
> > > Check back with us in six months...
>
> > Why in six months? What's going to be your measure of quality then,
> > market share?
>
> What do you think "GOODBYE iPod" implies, if not that this will put an
> end to the iPod.

People who buy the Wizpy will say goodbye to the iPod.

> > If the Wizpy isn't outselling the iPod by then, it'll just remind us
> > of how Mercedes doesn't outsell Chevrolet...
>
> And the iPod won't have wave "GOODBYE", will it?

Beats me. Can an iPod wave?

Edwin

Feb 25, 2007, 7:20:41 AM2/25/07
On Feb 24, 10:50 am, Nashton <n...@na.ca> wrote:
> Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article <1172279183.774024.174...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Why in six months? What's going to be your measure of quality then,
> >> market share?
>
> > What do you think "GOODBYE iPod" implies, if not that this will put an
> > end to the iPod.
>
> >> If the Wizpy isn't outselling the iPod by then, it'll just remind us
> >> of how Mercedes doesn't outsell Chevrolet...
>
> > And the iPod won't have wave "GOODBYE", will it?
>
> Has Baker lost it *completely*?

Alan's little red choo-choo went chugging around the bend a long time
ago...

Sandman

Feb 26, 2007, 2:09:29 AM2/26/07

About 70% of the market, I'd guess.

--
Sandman[.net]

John Bailo

Feb 26, 2007, 2:10:23 AM2/26/07
Sandman wrote:

iPods have become declasse

Go with a Sansa...

1/5 the cost...10 times the value.

AAPL is tanked!

Sandman

Feb 26, 2007, 2:12:43 AM2/26/07
In article <B2_Dh.345302$qy.1...@newsfe16.lga>,
Nashton <na...@na.ca> wrote:

You misspelled 80% market share....

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Feb 26, 2007, 2:14:48 AM2/26/07
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> > >http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070223/tc_infoworld/86291_1
> >
> > > So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
> > > much, much, much better?
> >
> > Wow.
> >
> > Another "iPod killer".
> >
> > Check back with us in six months...
>
> Why in six months? What's going to be your measure of quality then,
> market share?

In six months we will see if the prediction, "GOODBYE iPod!", will
have come true. It has nothing to do with quality.

> If the Wizpy isn't outselling the iPod by then, it'll just remind us
> of how Mercedes doesn't outsell Chevrolet...

Someone called Mercedes a "Chevrolet killer"?

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Feb 26, 2007, 2:16:28 AM2/26/07
In article <1172405961.0...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> > > Why in six months? What's going to be your measure of quality then,
> > > market share?
> >
> > What do you think "GOODBYE iPod" implies, if not that this will put an
> > end to the iPod.
>
> People who buy the Wizpy will say goodbye to the iPod.

So Roy's prediction is "At least one person owning an iPod will buy a
Wizpy"?

Well, that's a pretty safe bet. I'm sure he will feel triumphant when
that occurs.

In the same vein, Zune has been a total iPod killer for probably at
least one person.

--
Sandman[.net]

Tim Smith

Feb 26, 2007, 8:06:55 PM2/26/07
In article <mr-7656A5.08...@News.Individual.NET>,

2 gig Wizpy: 29800 yen <------+
2 gig Nano: 17800 yen |

4 gig Wizpy: 33800 yen +--- note these are the same!
4 gig Nano: 23800 yen |

8 gig Nano: 29800 yen <------+

Note also that on the Wizpy, about 1 gig is used for Linux and
applications. The Nano loses about 0.6 gig to overhead. Net result,
for the same price as a 2 gig Wizpy, you get over 7 times as much music
storage space on the 8 gig Nano.

Also, note that the 30 gig iPod is also 29800 yen.

The Wizpy will not rise above a very minor share of the market.

--
--Tim Smith

Mitch

Feb 26, 2007, 11:38:31 PM2/26/07
In article <reply_in_group-F97...@news.supernews.com>,
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> > > So who needs an overpriced iPod when this Linux powered handheld is
> > > much, much, much better?
> >
> > About 70% of the market, I'd guess.
>
> 2 gig Wizpy: 29800 yen <------+
> 2 gig Nano: 17800 yen |
> |
> 4 gig Wizpy: 33800 yen +--- note these are the same!
> 4 gig Nano: 23800 yen |
> |
> 8 gig Nano: 29800 yen <------+
>
> Note also that on the Wizpy, about 1 gig is used for Linux and
> applications. The Nano loses about 0.6 gig to overhead. Net result,
> for the same price as a 2 gig Wizpy, you get over 7 times as much music
> storage space on the 8 gig Nano.
>
> Also, note that the 30 gig iPod is also 29800 yen.
>
> The Wizpy will not rise above a very minor share of the market.

So can Roy explain the nonsensical subject OP?

This new device costs more, does less, and may not be very well made.

How did he decide that the Wizpy was going to be much better?
Let's hold him to it!

Sandman

Feb 27, 2007, 2:51:14 AM2/27/07

Heeey. It will make people say "GOODBYE iPod!" - Roy said so! :-D

--
Sandman[.net]

Danny Kwong

Feb 27, 2007, 12:03:24 PM2/27/07

Sounds like Linux in general.
Linux cost more (My TIME is worth money)
Linux is not very well made because most software
is still in the beta stages, if that.
Linux certainly does less, at least for everyday
users.

Wizpy sounds like another whizzzz to me.

The Ghost In The Machine

Feb 27, 2007, 12:41:19 PM2/27/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Danny Kwong
<myemaili...@notreal.org>
wrote
on Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:03:24 -0500
<es1o8k$ngh$1...@aioe.org>:

So buy a Zune already and quityerbellyaching. :-)

Oh, wait, you're coming in over from the Mac side.

All right, buy a Zune with extra RAM in white. :-)

Yeah, that'll work -- for about 3 days until the
Zune decides it doesn't like what you downloaded
for some very odd reason.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

Danny Kwong

Feb 27, 2007, 2:18:12 PM2/27/07
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:41:19 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> So buy a Zune already and quityerbellyaching. :-)

Zune i a POS.

> Oh, wait, you're coming in over from the Mac side.

I'm not coming from any side.
The iPod is the one to beat and this Whizzzpee
isn't the player that is going to do it.

> All right, buy a Zune with extra RAM in white. :-)

Like I said.

> Yeah, that'll work -- for about 3 days until the
> Zune decides it doesn't like what you downloaded
> for some very odd reason.

Why do you bring the Zune into the discussion?
I didn't say anything about Zune.

Oh, sorry I forgot: This is comp.os.linux.advocacy
where the anti Microsoft posts far outnumber the
Linux advocacy posts.
Sorry, my bad.

The Ghost In The Machine

Feb 27, 2007, 3:29:33 PM2/27/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Danny Kwong
<myemaili...@notreal.org>
wrote
on Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:18:12 -0500
<es205c$a6q$1...@aioe.org>:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:41:19 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>

>> So buy a Zune already and quityerbellyaching. :-)
>
> Zune i a POS.

I for one don't have a Zune, iPod, or Wizspy(?).
Of course, my taste in music is rather eclectic.

The Quake 1 disk has some interesting "songs", for example,
which are probably more akin to background noise that
happens to have some musical elements. Quake 2 has more
conventional instrumental tracks but still very hard rock.
There's one track/background music piece on "Wheel Of Time"
that I like (the first entry into Aridhol/Shadar Logoth).
Unreal Tournament has a track or two -- and since they're
.ogg files, one can download them into a player without
too much trouble.

And then there's Pink Floyd's _The Wall_. But I digress.

The Zune is interesting mostly because of its marketing.
How did they come up with that symbol, for example? And
why did they decide to munge up the DRM therein?

Botched from the word go, it was. Apple's iPod has had its
own issues but is apparently more successful, and certainly
is the one to beat.

>> Oh, wait, you're coming in over from the Mac side.
> I'm not coming from any side.

I noticed a CSMA crosspost.

> The iPod is the one to beat and this Whizzzpee
> isn't the player that is going to do it.

Nor the Zune, from all accounts.

>> All right, buy a Zune with extra RAM in white. :-)
>
> Like I said.
>
>> Yeah, that'll work -- for about 3 days until the
>> Zune decides it doesn't like what you downloaded
>> for some very odd reason.
>
> Why do you bring the Zune into the discussion?
> I didn't say anything about Zune.

Zune is a competitor to the iPod. For its part the iPod
appears to have Linux capability (except in the newest
models). There's also a device called "Gamepark Holdings
GP2X", which is a Linux gaming device with a 3.5" color
LCD display, and a Zupera mobile A/V player.

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5690634012.html

> Oh, sorry I forgot: This is comp.os.linux.advocacy
> where the anti Microsoft posts far outnumber the
> Linux advocacy posts.
> Sorry, my bad.

Microsoft is doing its best to defeat Linux, as it should
(it is, after all, competing for Vista(tm) mindshare).
Of course, there are some questions as to how level and
fair the playing field is, since Microsoft has the majority
of desktops (but is not a monopoly, by some accounts -- I'd
have to research that question to be entirely certain; one
issue is that Microsoft no longer has exclusive control
in the main desktop market [if it ever really did],
though it may have exclusive control in some submarkets,
and is not noted for being "clean" -- e.g., by cutting off
Netscape's air supply and taking advantage of razor-thin
hardware margins to offer a discount on its software using
a per-box rather than a per-install licensing price model).

Linux cannot hope for special treatment here.

[.sigsnip]

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
a lot of hot air and vapor.

tha...@tux.glaci.remove-this.com

Feb 27, 2007, 4:00:32 PM2/27/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy Danny Kwong <myemaili...@notreal.org> wrote:

> Sounds like Linux in general.
> Linux cost more (My TIME is worth money)
> Linux is not very well made because most software
> is still in the beta stages, if that.
> Linux certainly does less, at least for everyday
> users.

That may have been true once but not anymore. Ubuntu Linux is
amazingly polished and easy to use. The point-n-click software
installer is really nice and includes a pretty good assortment
of apps. I still prefer my Mac for professional grade video
editing, but Ubuntu works really well for just about everything
else, especially surfing the Internet and basic office productivity
stuff.

And yes, I do see that this has been cross posted and is probably
just an attempt to start a flame war... but I use and like both
Linux and Mac, so what the heck.

Thad

The Ghost In The Machine

Feb 27, 2007, 4:51:21 PM2/27/07
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, tha...@tux.glaci.remove-this.com
<tha...@tux.glaci.remove-this.com>
wrote
on Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:00:32 +0000 (UTC)
<es265g$6up$1...@tux.glaci.com>:

Can't say I use the Mac but apart from it looking like
it's taken cold caplets into itself, I can't say I have
much of an opinion, and Macs do at least try to do the
quality thing. (I do have an old Amiga emulator with some
6.0.x roms. Haven't fired it up lately.)

IMO, Linux is more democratic in many respects, though
the distros try to ensure their provided tools work. I've
not researched MacOSX lately, though.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Useless C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }