Facts that piss off trolls

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 4:01:42 PM9/20/06
The list of facts has been updated again, based on current trolling of Steve
Carroll and Tim Adams. Here it is:

Computer / industry facts:
€ Apple doesn't provide as many options as the rest of the PC industry
€ Different viruses are still different even if in the same "family"
€ Dreamweaver, being the #1 pro web design tool, is used by many pros
€ It is OK to email yourself files and repeatedly access them there
€ OS X is partially based on BSD (esp. FreeBSD)
€ OS X users are at far less risk of malware then are XP users
€ Photoshop is an image editing application used in many industries
€ Pros aren't beginners in their field (though there are new pros)
€ Similarly configured Macs and Win machines tend to cost roughly the same
€ The path "~/users/username/library/widget" is not common on any OS
€ The term "all widgets" does not specify a specific subgroup of widgets
€ The term "screen name" is generally understood by users of IRC
€ The tilde in an OS X path does *not* mean "the hard drive only"
€ There is no known malware that attacks OS X in the wild
€ Apple's video format is not far from NTSC DVD and good enough for most

Other facts:
€ A partial subset is not synonymous with the whole
€ A person's actions speak more about him than what others say
€ If A = B then B = A (known as the "symmetric property of equality")
€ Incest and sex are not identical (only a pervert would disagree)
€ It is dishonest to purposely misattribute quotes
€ No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)
€ Nuclear arms are arms
€ One can be actually guilty of breaking the law but not be adjudicated
€ Teaching is a "real job"
€ The US Constitution grants rights
€ The word "ouch" is not a sure sign of agreement.
€ Things which are not the same are not "identical"

I welcome any *reasoned* responses.

--
€ If A = B then B = A (known as the "symmetric property of equality")
€ Incest and sex are not identical (only a pervert would disagree)
€ One can be actually guilty of a crime but neither tried nor convicted

Mike

Sep 20, 2006, 4:21:07 PM9/20/06
"Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message

> I welcome any *reasoned* responses.

What is your point in continually posting this stuff? Who cares? What
does *any* of this have to do with "Mac Advocacy"?

Mike

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 4:30:08 PM9/20/06
"Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post 12h38lj...@news.supernews.com on
9/20/06 1:21 PM:

If you look at the points I split them between those that do and do not have
a pretty direct connection with the Mac or at least the industry:

---------

---------

The top grouping directly ties to Mac advocacy in that those who are
disagreeing or trolling based on those facts - generally in an effort to
make Apple look bad, but - admittedly - they sometimes do it to push their
dishonest and dishonorable agendas.

The bottom grouping are things that may or may not tie directly to
computers... though some are just simple logic that apply to just about any
topic. Note, however, that there are more on-topic points than that that
are not clearly on-topic. I mostly debate about computer things, but, as
seen, politics, logic, and morals also enter the fray from time to time.
Such is the nature of CSMA.

For what it is worth, most are just solid facts, though there are a few
where there can be reasonable disagreement. Generally the disagreement by
the trolls, however, is anything but reasonable.

--
€ It is OK to email yourself files and store them there for a few weeks

€ No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)

Mike

Sep 20, 2006, 4:42:43 PM9/20/06

> "Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post 12h38lj...@news.supernews.com on
> 9/20/06 1:21 PM:
>
>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>>> I welcome any *reasoned* responses.
>>
>> What is your point in continually posting this stuff? Who cares?
>> What
>> does *any* of this have to do with "Mac Advocacy"?
>
> If you look at the points I split them between those that do and do not
> have
> a pretty direct connection with the Mac or at least the industry:

So again, what is your point in continually posting this stuff?

Mike

Steve Carroll

Sep 20, 2006, 4:46:26 PM9/20/06
In article <12h38lj...@news.supernews.com>, "Mike" <n...@where.man>
wrote:

> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
> > I welcome any *reasoned* responses.
>
> What is your point in continually posting this stuff?

Isn't it obvious? He's trying to show how he is an obsessive compulsive
retard. Do you think he pulled it off?

--
Heck, OS X is not even partially based on FreeBSD - Snit
Sandman and Carroll are running around trying to crucify trolls

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 5:18:14 PM9/20/06
"Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post 12h39u3...@news.supernews.com on
9/20/06 1:42 PM:

> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>> "Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post 12h38lj...@news.supernews.com on
>> 9/20/06 1:21 PM:
>>
>>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What is your point in continually posting this stuff? Who cares? What does
>>> *any* of this have to do with "Mac Advocacy"?
>>>
>> If you look at the points I split them between those that do and do not have
>> a pretty direct connection with the Mac or at least the industry:
>>
> So again, what is your point in continually posting this stuff?

You snipped much of my response, but, in essence, it is on-topic and it
amuses me to see how much it pisses off the trolls. At the same time, *if*
there is some honest disagreement, or discussion, that can come from the
points they have nit picked and trolled over, I would welcome it.

While such things will not come from those that troll, perhaps others *will*
have something of value to say.

Do you? Here is the list again:

I welcome any *reasoned* responses.

--

€ Pros aren't beginners in their field (though there are new pros)
€ Similarly configured Macs and Win machines tend to cost roughly the same

€ Some people do use the term "screen name" in relation to IRC

Edwin

Sep 20, 2006, 5:26:22 PM9/20/06

He's a narcissist, Mike. His goal is to be the center of attention,
always. Even if it's negative attention. Even if it's people
calling him the scum of the earth. Snit must be noticed always.
He's reviled by Maccie and Wintroll alike, but that's okay by him.
He's not here to advocate anything, he's here to have as many people as
he can talking about him.

The stuff he started this thread with is just one of his stock "hey,
look at me" posts.

Edwin

Sep 20, 2006, 5:27:10 PM9/20/06

Steve Carroll wrote:
> In article <12h38lj...@news.supernews.com>, "Mike" <n...@where.man>
> wrote:
>
> > "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
> > > I welcome any *reasoned* responses.
> >
> > What is your point in continually posting this stuff?
>
> Isn't it obvious? He's trying to show how he is an obsessive compulsive
> retard. Do you think he pulled it off?

Big time. :-)

Mike

Sep 20, 2006, 5:29:31 PM9/20/06

> You snipped much of my response,

That's because it didn't answer my question.

> but, in essence, it is on-topic and it
> amuses me to see how much it pisses off the trolls.

So, IOW, you are trolling. OK, thanks for answering.

Mike

OldCSMAer

Sep 20, 2006, 5:29:49 PM9/20/06
In article <noone-208A99....@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Steve Carroll <no...@nowhere.net> wrote:

> In article <12h38lj...@news.supernews.com>, "Mike" <n...@where.man>
> wrote:
>
> > "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
> > > I welcome any *reasoned* responses.
> >
> > What is your point in continually posting this stuff?
>
> Isn't it obvious? He's trying to show how he is an obsessive compulsive
> retard. Do you think he pulled it off?

I don't think the "facts" piss off trolls as much as they may confuse
them (and me).

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 5:36:45 PM9/20/06
"OldCSMAer" <OldC...@NOSPAM.com> stated in post
OldCSMAer-98321...@news.cha.sbcglobal.net on 9/20/06 2:29 PM:

If they confuse you - excellent! Which ones? This may lead to good
conversation. The points more on topic are listed first, but, really, any
of them are open for discussion.

I welcome any *reasoned* responses.

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 5:38:46 PM9/20/06
"Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post 12h3clr...@news.supernews.com on
9/20/06 2:29 PM:

> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message

You snipped dishonestly. In other words, you, sir, are trolling. Please
note what I wrote:

You snipped much of my response, but, in essence, it is on-topic and
it amuses me to see how much it pisses off the trolls. At the same

time, *if* there is some honest disagreement, or discussion, that can
come from the points they have nit picked and trolled over, I would
welcome it.

While such things will not come from those that troll, perhaps
others *will* have something of value to say.

You snipped as though I was pointing out these facts merely to piss of the
trolls. Clearly, as I note, that is not the case. Here is the list again:

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 5:42:29 PM9/20/06
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> stated in post
1158787582....@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com on 9/20/06 2:26 PM:

> Mike wrote:
>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>>> I welcome any *reasoned* responses.
>>
>> What is your point in continually posting this stuff? Who cares? What
>> does *any* of this have to do with "Mac Advocacy"?
>
> He's a narcissist, Mike. His goal is to be the center of attention,
> always.

Incorrect. In fact, here is a direct request:

Steve and Tim, the two of you are following me around *begging* for
my attention. Please stop. It is neither flattering nor amusing.
It is, frankly, annoying.

Please note I have been very clear with that... they are merely begging for
my attention... as you often do, such as when you dishonestly attribute your
own words to me.

If I were looking for any form of attention, I would not be asking you and
the others who troll me to stop, yet it is a sincere request: please stop
trying to get revenge for my pointing out your lies, stop begging for my
attention... just stop.

Grow up and have adult conversations... I would very much prefer that.

> Even if it's negative attention. Even if it's people calling him the scum of
> the earth. Snit must be noticed always. He's reviled by Maccie and Wintroll
> alike, but that's okay by him. He's not here to advocate anything, he's here
> to have as many people as he can talking about him.
>
> The stuff he started this thread with is just one of his stock "hey, look at
> me" posts.

Some quotes by you, Edwin:

"I am just getting hungry or looking for attention:
I eat dog shit to get attention." - Edwin

"Thank you all for giving me attention... does anybody have
some mouthwash?" - Edwin

Why do you project your need for attention?

--

€ Different viruses are still different even if in the same "family"

€ Dreamweaver and GoLive are professional web development applications

Edwin

Sep 20, 2006, 5:51:50 PM9/20/06

The only cure for a narcissist is to ignore him.

Steve Carroll

Sep 20, 2006, 5:59:43 PM9/20/06
In article <OldCSMAer-98321...@news.cha.sbcglobal.net>,
OldCSMAer <OldC...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

I assume you mean that Snit's "facts" consist of statements like:

Water is wet.
People breathe air.

Once you realize that Snit only posts this stuff to show off the
knowledge he has learned in csma it all becomes clear;)

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to teach him moderation yet.

Steve Carroll

Sep 20, 2006, 6:03:16 PM9/20/06
In article <C136FE26.604FF%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post 12h39u3...@news.supernews.com on
> 9/20/06 1:42 PM:
>
> > "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
> >> "Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post 12h38lj...@news.supernews.com on
> >> 9/20/06 1:21 PM:

> >> If you look at the points I split them between those that do and do not
> >> have
> >> a pretty direct connection with the Mac or at least the industry:
> >>
> > So again, what is your point in continually posting this stuff?
>
> You snipped much of my response, but, in essence, it is on-topic and it
> amuses me to see how much it pisses off the trolls. At the same time, *if*
> there is some honest disagreement, or discussion, that can come from the
> points they have nit picked and trolled over, I would welcome it.

C'mon, Snit... you know there won't be any disagreements any longer. We
have taught you all you know about the statements you've made and we've
watched you grow and continually amend them during your learning process.

You are the only person alive who can lay claim to a newsgroup as his
educator... be proud;)

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 6:05:09 PM9/20/06
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> stated in post
1158789110.7...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com on 9/20/06 2:51 PM:

> The only cure for a narcissist is to ignore him.

Why do you beg for my attention so much? I really do not understand. You
claim you wish to ignore me and to have others do so to, yet you sank to
dishonestly renaming the thread to:

Re: Snit Circus Closed

Ah, I get it... you are showing how your claim is dishonest and mine is spot
on. Gotcha.

You trolls really need to try harder if you want to ever win any debate.

--
€ It is OK to email yourself files and store them there for a few weeks

€ No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 6:24:25 PM9/20/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-DF767A....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/20/06 3:03 PM:

>> You snipped much of my response, but, in essence, it is on-topic and it
>> amuses me to see how much it pisses off the trolls. At the same time, *if*
>> there is some honest disagreement, or discussion, that can come from the
>> points they have nit picked and trolled over, I would welcome it.
>

> C'mon, Snit... you know there won't be any disagreements any longer. We
> have taught you all you know about the statements you've made and we've
> watched you grow and continually amend them during your learning process.
>
> You are the only person alive who can lay claim to a newsgroup as his
> educator... be proud;)

If you truly, Steve, are admitting you no longer disagree with the
following, then maybe you are growing up. Somehow I doubt it... you just
are lying. Again. Here are the points:

I welcome any *reasoned* responses.

--

€ The tilde in an OS X path does *not* mean "the hard drive only"

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 6:25:29 PM9/20/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-3B4F33....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/20/06 2:59 PM:

> In article <OldCSMAer-98321...@news.cha.sbcglobal.net>,
> OldCSMAer <OldC...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <noone-208A99....@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
>> Steve Carroll <no...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>>> Isn't it obvious? He's trying to show how he is an obsessive compulsive
>>> retard. Do you think he pulled it off?
>>
>> I don't think the "facts" piss off trolls as much as they may confuse
>> them (and me).
>
> I assume you mean that Snit's "facts" consist of statements like:
>
> Water is wet.
> People breathe air.

Many of the statements are that simple. And you, Steve, have argued against
more of them than anyone else. LOL!

> Once you realize that Snit only posts this stuff to show off the
> knowledge he has learned in csma it all becomes clear;)
>
> Unfortunately, we haven't been able to teach him moderation yet.

Steve, do you now accept the following points as being facts:

I welcome any *reasoned* responses.

--
€ Nuclear arms are arms

€ There is no known malware that attacks OS X in the wild

Edwin

Sep 20, 2006, 6:36:17 PM9/20/06

Disgusting.

Mojo

Sep 20, 2006, 6:39:35 PM9/20/06
In article <C136EC36.604EB%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

Actually, these facts piss everybody off because they are
off-topic, unnecessarily confrontational, extremely boring
and clearly show that you are crying out for attention.

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 6:40:13 PM9/20/06
"Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> stated in post
C136EC36.604EB%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID on 9/20/06 1:01 PM:

Please note the responses from others in this thread.

They did, of course, prove me right. How predictable.

--

€ Pros aren't beginners in their field (though there are new pros)
€ Similarly configured Macs and Win machines tend to cost roughly the same

Snit

Sep 20, 2006, 6:42:33 PM9/20/06
"Mojo" <iadv...@macs.net> stated in post
iadvocate-99E2A...@news.videotron.net on 9/20/06 3:39 PM:

What facts do you find to be controversial to anyone with a clue? A couple
of them... *maybe*... but for the most part... not at all.

The fact that this thread has upset so many trolls proves me right. Look at
how Edwin, Carroll, Adams, and Mike have responded. They hate facts.

Steve Carroll

Sep 20, 2006, 9:12:13 PM9/20/06
In article <C1370DE9.60525%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
> noone-3B4F33....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/20/06 2:59 PM:
>
> > In article <OldCSMAer-98321...@news.cha.sbcglobal.net>,
> > OldCSMAer <OldC...@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> >> I don't think the "facts" piss off trolls as much as they may confuse
> >> them (and me).
> >
> > I assume you mean that Snit's "facts" consist of statements like:
> >
> > Water is wet.
> > People breathe air.
>
> Many of the statements are that simple. And you, Steve, have argued against
> more of them than anyone else.

Correction... I've taught you more that caused you to rewrite the
statements into their present form than anyone else and for that you
should be thanking me. As a father I'm already used to teaching without
being thanked for it so don't give it a thought;) Anyway, For some of
these things you are simply 'untrainable'... the only ones I would
bother to disagree with you on now is...

1 - The Constitution does not "grant" rights, it protects rights... it
grants 'powers' to the government.

2 - Apple's video format doesn't contain anywhere near what would be
required to be 'close' to NTSC DVD format (you may want to study the DVD
specs before making such a silly claim).

3 - Oh yeah... when *you* do it, teaching is obviously *not* a "real" job

Don't worry, Snit... I don't expect ANY *reasoned* responses from you...

I just know you won't let me down;)

Steve Carroll

Sep 20, 2006, 9:19:31 PM9/20/06
In article <iadvocate-99E2A...@news.videotron.net>,
Mojo <iadv...@macs.net> wrote:

Ya think?

Steve Carroll

Sep 20, 2006, 9:20:26 PM9/20/06
In article <C13711E9.60531%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Mojo" <iadv...@macs.net> stated in post
> iadvocate-99E2A...@news.videotron.net on 9/20/06 3:39 PM:
>
> > In article <C136EC36.604EB%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
> > Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, these facts piss everybody off because they are
> > off-topic, unnecessarily confrontational, extremely boring
> > and clearly show that you are crying out for attention.
>
> What facts do you find to be controversial to anyone with a clue?

Your siblings are all a lot older than you are, aren't they?

Mayor of R'lyeh

Sep 20, 2006, 9:25:32 PM9/20/06
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:46:26 -0600, Steve Carroll <no...@nowhere.net>
chose to bless us with the following wisdom:

>In article <12h38lj...@news.supernews.com>, "Mike" <n...@where.man>
>wrote:
>
>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>> > I welcome any *reasoned* responses.
>>
>> What is your point in continually posting this stuff?
>
>Isn't it obvious? He's trying to show how he is an obsessive compulsive
>retard.

And he's succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

> Do you think he pulled it off?

Probably does nothing but. I wonder who the father of his wife's kid
is? 8)

--
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the
very structure of our government."

Bill Clinton became eligible for reinstatement to the
bar on January 19,2006 after losing his law license
in 2001 for comitting perjury.

Steve Carroll

Sep 20, 2006, 9:29:23 PM9/20/06
In article <odq3h29dkts1g5d0h...@4ax.com>,

Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:46:26 -0600, Steve Carroll <no...@nowhere.net>
> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:
>
> >In article <12h38lj...@news.supernews.com>, "Mike" <n...@where.man>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
> >>
> >> What is your point in continually posting this stuff?
> >
> >Isn't it obvious? He's trying to show how he is an obsessive compulsive
> >retard.
>
> And he's succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.
>

> > Do you think he pulled it off?
>
> Probably does nothing but. I wonder who the father of his wife's kid
> is? 8)

I've always wondered how the hell she got pregnant when he was busy
posting 24/7;)

Steven de Mena

Sep 20, 2006, 10:39:29 PM9/20/06

"Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
> The list of facts has been updated again, based on current trolling of
> Steve
> Carroll and Tim Adams. Here it is:
>
> Computer / industry facts:

> ? Apple's video format is not far from NTSC DVD and good enough for
> most

I thought the NTSC DVD was shown to have 42% more pixels? Was that
incorrect?

Steve

Steven de Mena

Sep 20, 2006, 10:40:07 PM9/20/06

"Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
> "Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post
> 12h38lj...@news.supernews.com on
> 9/20/06 1:21 PM:
>
>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>>> I welcome any *reasoned* responses.
>>
>> What is your point in continually posting this stuff? Who cares?
>> What
>> does *any* of this have to do with "Mac Advocacy"?
>
> If you look at the points I split them between those that do and do
> not have
> a pretty direct connection with the Mac or at least the industry:

The "Other" facts can go.

Steve

Steven de Mena

Sep 20, 2006, 10:40:50 PM9/20/06

Posting that same list again was pointless.

Steve

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 1:16:26 AM9/21/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> stated in post
NPednaOnV4X8ZozY...@comcast.com on 9/20/06 7:39 PM:

From a previous post:

Apple recently moved their video format from 320x240 to 640x480. That
is four times the pixels, much closer to the NTSC DVD standard
(720x480), and similar to a video I watched at 640x380, though,
obviously, the aspect ratio was different.

The video I watched, while not being DVD quality or even the quality
of what Apple is now offering, was plenty good enough for most people
in most situations.

Apple used to be pretty darn far from NTSC DVD quality... when they had
320x240. Now they are 4x that at 640x480. If you look at just the number
of pixels, Apple went from about 22% to 89%. I watched a video that was
similar to the Apple new standard but with a different aspect ratio. It
worked fine, though the viewing conditions were not the same. It had, for
what it is worth, about 70% the pixels of NTSC DVD.

To summarize:
NTSC DVD: 720x480 = 345600 pixels
100% of NTSC DVD. obviously
Apple Old: 320x240 = 76800 pixels
22% of NTSC DVD - pretty far off
Apple New: 640x480 = 307200 pixels
89% of NTSC DVD - not too far off
Other Vid: 640x380 = 243200 pixels
70% of NTSC DVD - not too far off, esp if you consider the
different aspect ratios

In the end, the video I watched has the same horizontal dimensions as the
new Apple format and looked pretty darn good. Steve Carroll and Tim Adams,
frankly, are just babbling and trying to get me to be sucked into their
newest circus. Pretty much the two of them are freaking out that I stated:

DVDs are only 720 x 480 [NTSC], not a whole lot better than the
640 x 380 I was watching."

My statement, of course, is correct. Sure, the video I watched had only 70%
as many pixels, but the aspect ratio was different - had the video I watched
had the same aspect ratio and been, thus, the same as Apple's new standard,
it would have had close to 90% as many pixels. The quality, while not
perfect, was pretty darn good.

My view has been supported, I would say, by the pretty hefty sales numbers
at the Apple store - though we shall need a longer term look to really know
if the quality of the Apple store will keep the sales going.

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 1:19:24 AM9/21/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-A9A97A....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/20/06 6:12 PM:

Steve, you cannot change the fact that you have argued against more of the
following than anyone else. Heck, your above lies will *never* change that.
Here are the facts - many of which you have argued against or based your
arguments on your errors when you failed to understand the following:

I welcome any *reasoned* responses.

--

€ Teaching is a "real job"

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 1:22:29 AM9/21/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> stated in post
Ecmdne35MJ0VZozY...@comcast.com on 9/20/06 7:40 PM:

> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>> "Mike" <n...@where.man> stated in post
>> 12h38lj...@news.supernews.com on
>> 9/20/06 1:21 PM:
>>
>>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What is your point in continually posting this stuff? Who cares?
>>> What
>>> does *any* of this have to do with "Mac Advocacy"?
>>
>> If you look at the points I split them between those that do and do
>> not have
>> a pretty direct connection with the Mac or at least the industry:
>
> The "Other" facts can go.

Some are just basic logic... if someone disagrees with them, it is good to
know. For example, Steve has often shown he does not understand the
following:

Other facts:
€ A partial subset is not synonymous with the whole
€ A person's actions speak more about him than what others say
€ If A = B then B = A (known as the "symmetric property of equality")
€ Incest and sex are not identical (only a pervert would disagree)
€ It is dishonest to purposely misattribute quotes
€ No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)
€ Nuclear arms are arms
€ One can be actually guilty of breaking the law but not be adjudicated
€ Teaching is a "real job"
€ The US Constitution grants rights
€ The word "ouch" is not a sure sign of agreement.
€ Things which are not the same are not "identical"

Holy cow... Steve has disagreed with *every* one of those. Amazing. That
is interesting to know about him. Heck, watch his responses... they piss
him off to no end.

Steven de Mena

Sep 21, 2006, 1:48:00 AM9/21/06

"Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message

People checking the movies out. First time purchasers who would not know
in advance what the quality would look like, thus I don't consider that
they are endorsing your view.

The iPod outputs 640x480, thats why they choose that resolution and
nothing higher.

I can't understand the mentality of not wanting it available in HD
quality. Why would you argue against something being made available in
better quality in addition to the current offering? All too often it
seems Mac fans are willing to accept what Apple has decided for them,
instead of demanding more choices. How is $14.99 for a new movie from
iTunes advantageous over purchasing the DVD for about the same price
from amazon.com....higher quality, Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, all the
extra features, sub-titles (even I turn those on sometimes when it's
late at night and I can't have the TV up very loud)....

Steve

Tim Adams

Sep 21, 2006, 4:31:08 AM9/21/06
In article <NPednaOnV4X8ZozY...@comcast.com>,

It has NOT been shown to be incorrect but snit has decided that he really
doesn't want to talk about it so he muddies the waters by dragging in what
apple's format used to be, and a whole lot of other off topic comments in order
to run away from his original claim.

--
regarding Snit "You are not flamed because you speak the truth,
you are flamed because you are a hideous troll and keep disrupting

Steve Carroll

Sep 21, 2006, 10:31:22 AM9/21/06
In article <be2dna_N_fMuZozY...@comcast.com>,

"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> Posting that same list again was pointless.

Ok, that accounts for once. What about the other 987,000 times he's
posted it? ;)

Steve Carroll

Sep 21, 2006, 10:34:23 AM9/21/06
In article <C1376EEC.6059E%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

... facts? Of course not... nor would I try (unlike you). We have all
watched as you've continually reworded your material as you were taught
new things. Learning is nothing to be ashamed of, Snit... even if one is
a 'teacher' ;)

Steve Carroll

Sep 21, 2006, 10:38:37 AM9/21/06
In article <NPednaOnV4X8ZozY...@comcast.com>,

"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

It's correct... Snit just doesn't to confront the fact that ed presented
him with a reality he can't bear to look at. That's the reason you see
Snit posting a bunch of extraneous bullshit... in a feeble attempt to
obscure reality and revise history. In other words, business as usual
for Snit.

Steve Carroll

Sep 21, 2006, 10:49:04 AM9/21/06
In article <XbGdnW0CiMQMuo_Y...@comcast.com>,

"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message

(snip)

> > My view has been supported, I would say, by the pretty hefty sales
> > numbers at the Apple store - though we shall need a longer term look to really
> > know if the quality of the Apple store will keep the sales going.
>
> People checking the movies out. First time purchasers who would not know
> in advance what the quality would look like, thus I don't consider that
> they are endorsing your view.

Agreed... weak argument on his part.

> The iPod outputs 640x480, thats why they choose that resolution and
> nothing higher.

That... and most homes are not using HD yet.

> I can't understand the mentality of not wanting it available in HD
> quality. Why would you argue against something being made available in
> better quality in addition to the current offering? All too often it
> seems Mac fans are willing to accept what Apple has decided for them,

This seems to be exactly what Snit is doing here (settling for Apple's
offering) and it stagnates the market as people will never buy HDTV's if
content isn't widely available. Apple, who is trying to lead this
parade, should offer SD and HD.

> instead of demanding more choices. How is $14.99 for a new movie from
> iTunes advantageous over purchasing the DVD for about the same price
> from amazon.com....higher quality, Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, all the
> extra features, sub-titles (even I turn those on sometimes when it's
> late at night and I can't have the TV up very loud)....

It isn't.

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 11:39:44 AM9/21/06
"Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> stated in post
XbGdnW0CiMQMuo_Y...@comcast.com on 9/20/06 10:48 PM:

A longer term trend will be needed to know. I look forward to reading
online reviews as they become available.

> The iPod outputs 640x480, thats why they choose that resolution and
> nothing higher.

They built the whole system to handle that - based on the server, the
bandwidth, the download time, the iPod... hard to say if there was one
bottle neck.

> I can't understand the mentality of not wanting it available in HD
> quality. Why would you argue against something being made available in
> better quality in addition to the current offering?

It would cost more to provide, take longer to download, etc. Heck, if Apple
could do it now, sure, I am all for it. I am not against higher quality
video, I am just not concerned about the current quality.

> All too often it seems Mac fans are willing to accept what Apple has decided
> for them, instead of demanding more choices. How is $14.99 for a new movie
> from iTunes advantageous over purchasing the DVD for about the same price from
> amazon.com....higher quality, Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, all the extra features,
> sub-titles (even I turn those on sometimes when it's late at night and I can't
> have the TV up very loud)....

Many of the iTunes movies are cheaper... and, of course, some people want to
be able to download them and store them so they can select them like they
select music from iTunes. Of course, if the movies were higher quality,
they would take more space.

Again - I am not against higher quality movies, esp. as an option, but I am
not concerned about the current quality.

And, back to the point, the current quality is not *that* different than DVD
quality.

With that said - at least you have a reasoned disagreement. I have nothing
against that. What Steve and Tim are doing - just begging for my attention
- I do not get. They really need to figure out what motivates their need
for attention.

--
€ It is OK to email yourself files and store them there for a few weeks

€ No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)

€ Apple's video format is not far from NTSC DVD and good enough for most

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 11:44:27 AM9/21/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-319135....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/21/06 7:38 AM:

> In article <NPednaOnV4X8ZozY...@comcast.com>,
> "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>
>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message
>>> The list of facts has been updated again, based on current trolling of
>>> Steve
>>> Carroll and Tim Adams. Here it is:
>>>
>>> Computer / industry facts:
>>
>>> ? Apple's video format is not far from NTSC DVD and good enough for
>>> most
>>
>> I thought the NTSC DVD was shown to have 42% more pixels? Was that
>> incorrect?
>

> It's correct... Snit just doesn't to confront the fact that ed presented
> him with a reality he can't bear to look at. That's the reason you see
> Snit posting a bunch of extraneous bullshit... in a feeble attempt to
> obscure reality and revise history. In other words, business as usual
> for Snit.

Are you having fun begging for my attention? Is it working for you? Do you
think it makes you look cool... if so, to whom? Tim Adams? Wally, if he
ever comes back after his last round of humiliating himself? Who? I do not
understand your desperate need to beg for my attention. Very odd.

I will note, though, that since I am pointing out your sick need for my
attention you are beginning to respond to other folks... which means my
pointing out your actions is working. Maybe some day you will stop lying
about me in your every post.

Maybe. If you ever grow up that much.

--

€ If A = B then B = A (known as the "symmetric property of equality")
€ Incest and sex are not identical (only a pervert would disagree)

€ One can be actually guilty of a crime but neither tried nor convicted

Steve Carroll

Sep 21, 2006, 11:55:00 AM9/21/06
In article <C138016B.605DC%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
> noone-319135....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/21/06 7:38 AM:
>
> > In article <NPednaOnV4X8ZozY...@comcast.com>,
> > "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message

> >> I thought the NTSC DVD was shown to have 42% more pixels? Was that
> >> incorrect?
> >

> > It's correct... Snit just doesn't to confront the fact that ed presented
> > him with a reality he can't bear to look at. That's the reason you see
> > Snit posting a bunch of extraneous bullshit... in a feeble attempt to
> > obscure reality and revise history. In other words, business as usual
> > for Snit.
>
> Are you having fun begging for my attention?

LOL! If there is one thing that's extremely obvious it's that I don't
need to beg for your attention;)

Sorry, Mr narcissism... I was answering a poster's question.

(snip crap)

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 12:04:52 PM9/21/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-7B011F....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/21/06 8:55 AM:

>> Are you having fun begging for my attention?
>

> LOL! If there is one thing that's extremely obvious it's that I don't
> need to beg for your attention;)
>
> Sorry, Mr narcissism... I was answering a poster's question.
>
> (snip crap)
>
> --
> Heck, OS X is not even partially based on FreeBSD - Snit
> Sandman and Carroll are running around trying to crucify trolls
> like myself - Snit
> I am a bigger liar than Steve - Snit

Read your .sig, Steve.

Now explain again how you think when you spew lies and dishonestly snipped
quotes about me in your *every* post you are not begging for my attention.

LOL!

Oh, you will just snip and run again. You beg for my attention, but you
have no honest and honorable responses. Poor, poor, Steve: a self admitted
dishonest moronic asshole. That, Steve, is really all you are.

--

€ A partial subset is not synonymous with the whole
€ A person's actions speak more about him than what others say

Steve Carroll

Sep 21, 2006, 1:50:07 PM9/21/06
In article <C1380634.605EA%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
> noone-7B011F....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/21/06 8:55 AM:
>
> >> Are you having fun begging for my attention?
> >

> > LOL! If there is one thing that's extremely obvious it's that I don't
> > need to beg for your attention;)
> >
> > Sorry, Mr narcissism... I was answering a poster's question.
> >
> > (snip crap)
> >
> > --
> > Heck, OS X is not even partially based on FreeBSD - Snit
> > Sandman and Carroll are running around trying to crucify trolls
> > like myself - Snit
> > I am a bigger liar than Steve - Snit
>
> Read your .sig, Steve.

I know... it contains a quote of you saying you are a bigger liar than I
am... and I totally agree with you. What about it?

Steve Carroll

Sep 21, 2006, 2:25:08 PM9/21/06
In article <C1380050.605DA%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> stated in post
> XbGdnW0CiMQMuo_Y...@comcast.com on 9/20/06 10:48 PM:

(snip)

> > People checking the movies out. First time purchasers who would not know
> > in advance what the quality would look like, thus I don't consider that
> > they are endorsing your view.
>
> A longer term trend will be needed to know.

So... you are agreeing with Steve now and reversing your position that
your "view has been supported". Good idea... perhaps this is a trend
you'll continue... we shall see.

> I look forward to reading
> online reviews as they become available.
>
> > The iPod outputs 640x480, thats why they choose that resolution and
> > nothing higher.
>
> They built the whole system to handle that - based on the server, the
> bandwidth, the download time, the iPod... hard to say if there was one
> bottle neck.
>
> > I can't understand the mentality of not wanting it available in HD
> > quality. Why would you argue against something being made available in
> > better quality in addition to the current offering?
>
> It would cost more to provide,

How much more? Explain why these costs should be a deterrent.

> take longer to download, etc. Heck, if Apple
> could do it now, sure, I am all for it. I am not against higher quality
> video, I am just not concerned about the current quality.
>
> > All too often it seems Mac fans are willing to accept what Apple has
> > decided
> > for them, instead of demanding more choices. How is $14.99 for a new movie
> > from iTunes advantageous over purchasing the DVD for about the same price
> > from
> > amazon.com....higher quality, Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, all the extra
> > features,
> > sub-titles (even I turn those on sometimes when it's late at night and I
> > can't
> > have the TV up very loud)....
>
> Many of the iTunes movies are cheaper...

And you can get cheaper movies than $14.99 on DVD, too, yet, they still
offer the advantages talked about thus far. What's your point here, Snit?

> and, of course, some people want to
> be able to download them and store them so they can select them like they
> select music from iTunes. Of course, if the movies were higher quality,
> they would take more space.

If "space" is your argument you'd better realize that has always been a
factor, yet technology marches on. Fact: There exists capability to
store HD content right now if you so desire.

> Again - I am not against higher quality movies, esp. as an option, but I am
> not concerned about the current quality.

Good for you... but you're far from the only viewer on the planet, Mr.
Narcissism.

> And, back to the point, the current quality is not *that* different than DVD
> quality.

The 42% size difference says otherwise.

> With that said - at least you have a reasoned disagreement. I have nothing
> against that. What Steve and Tim are doing - just begging for my attention
> - I do not get. They really need to figure out what motivates their need
> for attention.

Quit whining when people call you on your silly claims.

Lefty Bigfoot

Sep 21, 2006, 6:59:56 PM9/21/06
Snit wrote
(in article <C136EC36.604EB%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):

> Computer / industry facts:

> € Apple doesn't provide as many options as the rest of the PC industry

True. I constantly find myself perplexed that I can't get a
chassis from Apple that looks like a space alien with glowing
tri-color LED fans whirring out the side of all sides.

> € Different viruses are still different even if in the same "family"

Don't forget, 99.9999% of them exist on Windows, regardless of
the definition of "different".

> € Dreamweaver, being the #1 pro web design tool, is used by many pros

And many pros realize that Dreamweaver is overkill for many web
sites. See, for example, RapidWeaver as a suitable replacement
for the majority of people. For more complicated websites, with
dynamic content, a CMS system is far more useful than a
"designed" web site. See, for example, Xoops, Xaraya, Drupal,
etc.

> € It is OK to email yourself files and repeatedly access them there

It is OK to email yourself viruses so that you can make sure all
of your windows boxes are suitably inflicted so as not to cause
disorientation when moving from one system to another. For Mac
users, this is a noop.

> € OS X is partially based on BSD (esp. FreeBSD)

It's also partially based upon a whole bunch of things, look at
the large number of open source components included in the
distribution.

> € OS X users are at far less risk of malware then are XP users

Of course they are. So are CP/M users for that matter.

> € Photoshop is an image editing application used in many industries

Duh.

> € Pros aren't beginners in their field (though there are new pros)

No, a "beginner in a field" is not a pro. Such an individual
has the potential to become a pro, at such time as they are not
only not a beginner any longer, but stand out from others in the
field that are not "pro" in skills, effort, and behavior.

> € Similarly configured Macs and Win machines tend to cost roughly the same

Opinions vary. Configurations vary. The pricing on computer
components changes almost as fast as the weather does. Arguing
about this is pointless. Either you can afford the computer you
want, (regardless of Mac vs Dell vs whoever) or you can not.

> € The path "~/users/username/library/widget" is not common on any OS

Define "common". I can easily imagine a sysadm deciding to
store something in such a file hierarchy, but don't immediately
see why it would matter either way. Tilting windmills again?

> € The term "all widgets" does not specify a specific subgroup of widgets

It's also not limited to OS X dashboard widgets. Widgets is an
overloaded term in the computing space, going back decades.
Being clear about your terms before entering into any formal
debate is part of being a "pro".

> € The term "screen name" is generally understood by users of IRC

In my limited experience with it, IRC users do not generally
tend to understand much of anything.

> € The tilde in an OS X path does *not* mean "the hard drive only"

LOL. You really love to dredge up garbage.

> € There is no known malware that attacks OS X in the wild

Probably true, I don't spend time tracking such things, but it
seems likely. Also probably true:

At any given date in the future,
NUM_OSX_MALWARE < NUM_WIN_MALWARE
NUM_LINUX_MALWARE < NUM_WIN_MALWARE
NUM_OSX_MALWARE + NUM_LINUX_MALWARE < NUM_WIN_MALWARE

This will continue past the lifetime of anyone capable of
reading this newsgroup.

> € Apple's video format is not far from NTSC DVD and good enough for most

Which Apple video format? Define "not far". Define "good
enough". Define "most". Professionals are careful about such
claims.

> € A person's actions speak more about him than what others say

Not necessarily true. For example, there are people of which I
would know nothing at all without the claims of others, since I
would not know anything about them otherwise. For example, this
fool that got killed from a stingray. He's apparently a damn
moron, and dead now. Never saw him prior to getting killed and
becoming focused on by others. He may have done something
useful during his lifetime, but I've yet to see any evidence of
that.

> € Incest and sex are not identical (only a pervert would disagree)

Clinton could have a field day with that one, so I'll leave it
to him and other professional perverts to debate.

> € No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)

You are forgetting treaties. Also, you are ignoring reality
trumping actual Constitutional restrictions. The fact is,
legislation supercedes the Constitution daily, right or wrong,
in actual practice.

> € Nuclear arms are arms

So are 2x4's, provided they are suitably employeed as such.

> € One can be actually guilty of breaking the law but not be adjudicated

In fact, given the overlapping and contradictory laws in most
jurisdictions on the planet today, the odds are that nobody
reading this thread can claim not to be guilty of at least one
law. This in itself is ample evidence of how screwed up society
has become.

> € Teaching is a "real job"

But it usually pays like a fake job. Most 'teachers' are not
qualified to teach today either, and thus even at low wages, are
still overpaid. For example, I removed a child from an
"accredited school" after notes home from the teachers contained
more spelling and grammar mistakes than my child's homework
assignments did.

> € The US Constitution grants rights

Wrong. It delineates rights that were extant prior to its
construction, and provides for restrictions on government (most
of which are currently being ignored), grants limited powers to
the government for specific needs, and reserves any items not
explicitly mentioned to the people. "Rights" are not granted,
they simply exist. Privileges are granted.

--
Lefty
All of God's creatures have a place..........

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 7:21:58 PM9/21/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-35BD81....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/21/06 10:50 AM:

>> Read your .sig, Steve.
>
> I know...

And yet you snip and run, Steve.

You beg for my attention, but when you get it you can only run.

You called your self a lying moronic asshole. And you were right.

--
€ Nuclear arms are arms

€ There is no known malware that attacks OS X in the wild

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 7:40:37 PM9/21/06
"Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
0001HW.C138839B...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 3:59 PM:

> Snit wrote
> (in article <C136EC36.604EB%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):
>
>> Computer / industry facts:
>> € Apple doesn't provide as many options as the rest of the PC industry
>
> True. I constantly find myself perplexed that I can't get a
> chassis from Apple that looks like a space alien with glowing
> tri-color LED fans whirring out the side of all sides.

LOL! It is also true, though, that if you do not want the things Apple
bundles, you can get a cheaper Windows machine. This is not to say that
comparable machines usually come out similarly priced, but Apple does not
have all the options *all* other companies have. Gee, how surprising.

>> € Different viruses are still different even if in the same "family"
>
> Don't forget, 99.9999% of them exist on Windows, regardless of
> the definition of "different".

Completely agree.

>> € Dreamweaver, being the #1 pro web design tool, is used by many pros
>
> And many pros realize that Dreamweaver is overkill for many web
> sites.

Absolutely... it is not needed.

> See, for example, RapidWeaver as a suitable replacement for the majority of
> people. For more complicated websites, with dynamic content, a CMS system is
> far more useful than a "designed" web site. See, for example, Xoops, Xaraya,
> Drupal, etc.

There are many other good - and even pro - tools. No doubt. I used to run
a FirstClass system. Excellent software.

>> € It is OK to email yourself files and repeatedly access them there
>
> It is OK to email yourself viruses so that you can make sure all
> of your windows boxes are suitably inflicted so as not to cause
> disorientation when moving from one system to another. For Mac
> users, this is a noop.

LOL!

>> € OS X is partially based on BSD (esp. FreeBSD)
>
> It's also partially based upon a whole bunch of things, look at
> the large number of open source components included in the
> distribution.

No doubt... it is not solely based on FreeBSD.

>> € OS X users are at far less risk of malware then are XP users
>
> Of course they are. So are CP/M users for that matter.

As are Linux users, etc.

>> € Photoshop is an image editing application used in many industries
>
> Duh.

We have a self-proclaimed web pro who disagreed... he claimed Photoshop was
used almost exclusively for web site design... and that programs such as
Dreamweaver were not used by pros for web development and design.

>> € Pros aren't beginners in their field (though there are new pros)
>
> No, a "beginner in a field" is not a pro. Such an individual
> has the potential to become a pro, at such time as they are not
> only not a beginner any longer, but stand out from others in the
> field that are not "pro" in skills, effort, and behavior.

Exactly.

>> € Similarly configured Macs and Win machines tend to cost roughly the same
>
> Opinions vary. Configurations vary. The pricing on computer
> components changes almost as fast as the weather does. Arguing
> about this is pointless. Either you can afford the computer you
> want, (regardless of Mac vs Dell vs whoever) or you can not.

There is a great deal of variability, but in general Macs are priced fairly
for what you get.

>> € The path "~/users/username/library/widget" is not common on any OS
>
> Define "common". I can easily imagine a sysadm deciding to
> store something in such a file hierarchy, but don't immediately
> see why it would matter either way. Tilting windmills again?

The context of this was a discussion on OS X widgets. And while a user
might make such a path, I doubt many have that path. Tim Adams made it up
when he thought the tilde meant "the hard drive only".

>> € The term "all widgets" does not specify a specific subgroup of widgets
>
> It's also not limited to OS X dashboard widgets. Widgets is an
> overloaded term in the computing space, going back decades.
> Being clear about your terms before entering into any formal
> debate is part of being a "pro".

Sure... my comment is not specific to the context... but you were able to
figure out what I meant.

>> € The term "screen name" is generally understood by users of IRC
>
> In my limited experience with it, IRC users do not generally
> tend to understand much of anything.

LOL! OK. But when I have used that term, in tests, there has been no
problem.

>> € The tilde in an OS X path does *not* mean "the hard drive only"
>
> LOL. You really love to dredge up garbage.

Tim Adams whined on and on about this. None of these facts are - for
intelligent folks - anything to really question... though there may be some
nit picks or questions of context.

>> € There is no known malware that attacks OS X in the wild
>
> Probably true, I don't spend time tracking such things, but it
> seems likely. Also probably true:
>
> At any given date in the future,
> NUM_OSX_MALWARE < NUM_WIN_MALWARE
> NUM_LINUX_MALWARE < NUM_WIN_MALWARE
> NUM_OSX_MALWARE + NUM_LINUX_MALWARE < NUM_WIN_MALWARE
>
> This will continue past the lifetime of anyone capable of
> reading this newsgroup.

Most likely correct. Almost undoubtedly so.

>> € Apple's video format is not far from NTSC DVD and good enough for most
>
> Which Apple video format? Define "not far". Define "good
> enough". Define "most". Professionals are careful about such
> claims.

I summed it up to one line... here is info from another post:

---------

---------

>> € A person's actions speak more about him than what others say
>
> Not necessarily true. For example, there are people of which I
> would know nothing at all without the claims of others, since I
> would not know anything about them otherwise. For example, this
> fool that got killed from a stingray. He's apparently a damn
> moron, and dead now. Never saw him prior to getting killed and
> becoming focused on by others. He may have done something
> useful during his lifetime, but I've yet to see any evidence of
> that.

Seems like you still know nothing of him. Watch him... well, videos of him.
That will allow you to make an informed opinion, and even then only about
his public persona on his show.

>> € Incest and sex are not identical (only a pervert would disagree)
>
> Clinton could have a field day with that one, so I'll leave it
> to him and other professional perverts to debate.

LOL!

>> € No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)
>
> You are forgetting treaties. Also, you are ignoring reality
> trumping actual Constitutional restrictions. The fact is,
> legislation supercedes the Constitution daily, right or wrong,
> in actual practice.

I mean legally... you are right that there are many laws I believe most
reasoned people would look at as unconstitutional.

>> € Nuclear arms are arms
>
> So are 2x4's, provided they are suitably employeed as such.

Correct.

>> € One can be actually guilty of breaking the law but not be adjudicated
>
> In fact, given the overlapping and contradictory laws in most
> jurisdictions on the planet today, the odds are that nobody
> reading this thread can claim not to be guilty of at least one
> law. This in itself is ample evidence of how screwed up society
> has become.

You are correct.

>> € Teaching is a "real job"
>
> But it usually pays like a fake job.

Agreed.

> Most 'teachers' are not qualified to teach today either,

Some are not. What do you base your "most" claim on?

> and thus even at low wages, are still overpaid. For example, I removed a
> child from an "accredited school" after notes home from the teachers contained
> more spelling and grammar mistakes than my child's homework assignments did.

I can see your frustration with that.

>> € The US Constitution grants rights
>
> Wrong. It delineates rights that were extant prior to its
> construction, and provides for restrictions on government (most
> of which are currently being ignored), grants limited powers to
> the government for specific needs, and reserves any items not
> explicitly mentioned to the people. "Rights" are not granted,
> they simply exist. Privileges are granted.

There are many places where the rights you claim already exist simply do
not. Without something to protect those rights, you do not have them. Even
then, as you note, you often do not. In any case, I have quoted Supreme
Court decisions where they talk about the granting of rights... it is simple
semantics. I accept that your semantics are in agreement with the
Constitution... but there is no real-world difference.

In any case, you mostly - though not fully - agreed with me. How long until
Steve, Adams, Wally, and the like call you a troll. Oh, wait... they would
only do that if they were consistent and not just begging for my attention
and trying to get revenge for my pointing out their lies.

You are safe from them. :)

--
€ A partial subset is not synonymous with the whole

€ A person's actions speak more about him than what others say

Lefty Bigfoot

Sep 21, 2006, 8:00:16 PM9/21/06
Snit wrote
(in article <C1387105.60676%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):

> "Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
> 0001HW.C138839B...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 3:59 PM:
>

>>> € No legislation supercedes the Constitution (unless it amends it)
>>
>> You are forgetting treaties. Also, you are ignoring reality
>> trumping actual Constitutional restrictions. The fact is,
>> legislation supercedes the Constitution daily, right or wrong,
>> in actual practice.
>
> I mean legally... you are right that there are many laws I believe most
> reasoned people would look at as unconstitutional.

You are forgetting, apparently, that the Constitution + Treaties
is the law of the land. Don't feel too bad though, most
teachers don't know that either.

>> Most 'teachers' are not qualified to teach today either,
>
> Some are not. What do you base your "most" claim on?

An observation on the number of young people working in
restaurants, stores, etc. who can't do simple arithmetic, even
with the help of a computer, the likes of which elementary
school children can and should be able to do in their head.

It's readily apparent that our school system is a dismal
failure. A lot of the blame surely goes on the parents, but the
teachers, school boards, etc. care a large share of the blame as
well.

>> and thus even at low wages, are still overpaid. For example, I removed a
>> child from an "accredited school" after notes home from the teachers
>> contained
>> more spelling and grammar mistakes than my child's homework assignments did.
>
> I can see your frustration with that.

I left out the bit where I confronted said teachers about the
errors, and they didn't even know enough to admit their
mistakes, they still thought they were correct. Bear in mind,
my child brought the caught the errors before I was even shown
the notes. Pathetic.

>>> € The US Constitution grants rights
>>
>> Wrong. It delineates rights that were extant prior to its
>> construction, and provides for restrictions on government (most
>> of which are currently being ignored), grants limited powers to
>> the government for specific needs, and reserves any items not
>> explicitly mentioned to the people. "Rights" are not granted,
>> they simply exist. Privileges are granted.
>
> There are many places where the rights you claim already exist simply do
> not.

"many places" are not in the United States.

> Without something to protect those rights, you do not have them.

Obviously true, given the rampage of rights trampling that has
taken off and is currently accelerating thanks to the wonderful
excuse of "9/11" and "homeland security".

> In any case, I have quoted Supreme Court decisions where they talk about
> the granting of rights

Sadly, the Supreme Court is culpable in the majority of rights
trampling extant in this country today. The opinions written by
the supremes are not authoritative, the Constitution itself is.
Centuries of bad political appointments have definitely
corrupted it.

> ... it is simple semantics.

Actually, it's quite complicated.

> In any case, you mostly - though not fully - agreed with me.

In point of fact, I agreed with some, but not all of the content
of your earlier post to which I replied. It has nothing to do
with whether or not I agree with you in general.

> How long until Steve, Adams, Wally, and the like call you a troll.

Despite the lack of proper punctuation, I care not whether or
not they call me a troll.

> You are safe from them. :)

I am safe from them, regardless of any of this.

Snit

Sep 21, 2006, 9:01:02 PM9/21/06
"Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
0001HW.C13891C1...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 5:00 PM:

> Snit wrote
> (in article <C1387105.60676%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):
>
>> "Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
>> 0001HW.C138839B...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 3:59 PM:

>>> You are forgetting treaties. Also, you are ignoring reality
>>> trumping actual Constitutional restrictions. The fact is,
>>> legislation supercedes the Constitution daily, right or wrong,
>>> in actual practice.
>>
>> I mean legally... you are right that there are many laws I believe most
>> reasoned people would look at as unconstitutional.
>
> You are forgetting, apparently, that the Constitution + Treaties
> is the law of the land. Don't feel too bad though, most
> teachers don't know that either.

Actually I am fully aware of the fact... the question came from a debate I
had with Steve Carroll. I was letting him know that the treaties the US
make are a part of the Supreme Law of the Land. He was trying to convince
me that there were things that overrode those treaties, specifically the
Iraq Resolution and the War Powers Acts... *even though* at least the War
Powers Act *specifically* states otherwise.

In short, Bush broke the law when he went against US treaties, *even if* he
followed *other* laws. Steve Carroll was never able to understand that,
though surely he will jump in and deny it. If need be I will do some
Googling and pull up some of his more ignorant posts on the issue.

>>> Most 'teachers' are not qualified to teach today either,
>>
>> Some are not. What do you base your "most" claim on?
>
> An observation on the number of young people working in
> restaurants, stores, etc. who can't do simple arithmetic, even
> with the help of a computer, the likes of which elementary
> school children can and should be able to do in their head.
>
> It's readily apparent that our school system is a dismal
> failure. A lot of the blame surely goes on the parents, but the
> teachers, school boards, etc. care a large share of the blame as
> well.

Private schools have not proved to be better than public... if that matters
to you.

Part of the problem with the schools today is that more and more and more is
added to the curriculum... too much to possibly cover well. Add to that
teachers are expected to pay for their own school supplies... which is
silly, though they do get some back in their taxes. Our system really needs
to be re-thought.

>>> and thus even at low wages, are still overpaid. For example, I removed a
>>> child from an "accredited school" after notes home from the teachers
>>> contained more spelling and grammar mistakes than my child's homework
>>> assignments did.
>>
>> I can see your frustration with that.
>
> I left out the bit where I confronted said teachers about the
> errors, and they didn't even know enough to admit their
> mistakes, they still thought they were correct. Bear in mind,
> my child brought the caught the errors before I was even shown
> the notes. Pathetic.

Do you remember what the errors were?

>>> Wrong. It delineates rights that were extant prior to its
>>> construction, and provides for restrictions on government (most
>>> of which are currently being ignored), grants limited powers to
>>> the government for specific needs, and reserves any items not
>>> explicitly mentioned to the people. "Rights" are not granted,
>>> they simply exist. Privileges are granted.
>>
>> There are many places where the rights you claim already exist simply do
>> not.
>
> "many places" are not in the United States.

Sure... in those places people are not granted the rights we are in the US.

>> Without something to protect those rights, you do not have them.
>
> Obviously true, given the rampage of rights trampling that has
> taken off and is currently accelerating thanks to the wonderful
> excuse of "9/11" and "homeland security".

No argument here.

>> In any case, I have quoted Supreme Court decisions where they talk about
>> the granting of rights
>
> Sadly, the Supreme Court is culpable in the majority of rights
> trampling extant in this country today. The opinions written by
> the supremes are not authoritative, the Constitution itself is.
> Centuries of bad political appointments have definitely
> corrupted it.

The SC has done both good and bad.

>> ... it is simple semantics.
>
> Actually, it's quite complicated.

Not really.... the idea comes down to if you think the rights already exist
and some governments take them or if you think the rights only exist if
those in power allow them.

In the end, however, it is mere semantics.

>> In any case, you mostly - though not fully - agreed with me.
>
> In point of fact, I agreed with some, but not all of the content
> of your earlier post to which I replied. It has nothing to do
> with whether or not I agree with you in general.

Fair enough... you agreed with most of my points... though that does not
imply agreement with other comments of mine. Of course not.

>> How long until Steve, Adams, Wally, and the like call you a troll.
>
> Despite the lack of proper punctuation, I care not whether or
> not they call me a troll.

There are schools of thought that say the comma does belong before the
"and"... if that is what you mean.

>> You are safe from them. :)
>
> I am safe from them, regardless of any of this.

Very true... I was being somewhat silly.

--

€ Pros aren't beginners in their field (though there are new pros)

€ Similarly configured Macs and Win machines tend to cost roughly the same

€ Some people do use the term "screen name" in relation to IRC

Steve Carroll

Sep 22, 2006, 1:44:46 AM9/22/06
In article <C13883DE.60686%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
> 0001HW.C13891C1...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 5:00 PM:
>
> > Snit wrote
> > (in article <C1387105.60676%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):
> >
> >> "Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
> >> 0001HW.C138839B...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 3:59 PM:

> >> I mean legally... you are right that there are many laws I believe most
> >> reasoned people would look at as unconstitutional.
> >
> > You are forgetting, apparently, that the Constitution + Treaties
> > is the law of the land. Don't feel too bad though, most
> > teachers don't know that either.
>
> Actually I am fully aware of the fact... the question came from a debate I
> had with Steve Carroll. I was letting him know that the treaties the US
> make are a part of the Supreme Law of the Land.

You were 'letting me know' what Article 6 of the United States
Constitution states? LOL! Sorry to burst your narcissistic bubble,
Snit... but I read it and knew about it when you were still shitting in
your pants.

> He was trying to convince
> me that there were things that overrode those treaties, specifically the
> Iraq Resolution and the War Powers Acts... *even though* at least the War
> Powers Act *specifically* states otherwise.

Regarding War Powers - you read it that way. Bottom line... there are
things that are effectively overruling the Constitution... lots of them.

> In short, Bush broke the law when he went against US treaties, *even if* he
> followed *other* laws.

When you tried to prove that you were forced to look at your evidence
and realize it didn't "actually" prove a damn thing. Funny how no one
putting forth charges in the legal world were able to make any of them
stick. Constitutional law isn't as cut and dried as your politicizing
needs it to be.

> Steve Carroll was never able to understand that,

I understand that War Powers has not been ruled on to date. Why are you
having so much trouble with it? Your politicizing can't obscure reality
no matter how much glue you sniff.

> though surely he will jump in and deny it. If need be I will do some
> Googling and pull up some of his more ignorant posts on the issue.

> >> Some are not. What do you base your "most" claim on?
> >
> > An observation on the number of young people working in
> > restaurants, stores, etc. who can't do simple arithmetic, even
> > with the help of a computer, the likes of which elementary
> > school children can and should be able to do in their head.
> >
> > It's readily apparent that our school system is a dismal
> > failure. A lot of the blame surely goes on the parents, but the
> > teachers, school boards, etc. care a large share of the blame as
> > well.
>
> Private schools have not proved to be better than public... if that matters
> to you.
>
> Part of the problem with the schools today is that more and more and more is
> added to the curriculum... too much to possibly cover well. Add to that
> teachers are expected to pay for their own school supplies... which is
> silly, though they do get some back in their taxes. Our system really needs
> to be re-thought.

Yes... and it should begin by dumping teachers like yourself. You've
proven, time and again, that you are unable to comprehend even the
simplest of things you've read. It's notable that I am in a long line of
people that have noticed and commented on this. You shouldn't be allowed
anywhere near a classroom full of students (even teaching a single hour
long class a week like you are) until you dial in your reading and
language skills... which are both abysmal. No jokes here... no smilies.

> >> I can see your frustration with that.
> >
> > I left out the bit where I confronted said teachers about the
> > errors, and they didn't even know enough to admit their
> > mistakes, they still thought they were correct. Bear in mind,
> > my child brought the caught the errors before I was even shown
> > the notes. Pathetic.
>
> Do you remember what the errors were?

> >> There are many places where the rights you claim already exist simply do
> >> not.
> >
> > "many places" are not in the United States.
>
> Sure... in those places people are not granted the rights we are in the US.

Great argument for the U.S. Constitution (the "actual" topic here). LOL!
There are no rights 'granted' to the people in the U.S. Constitution. I,
and others, have tried to explain this to you on several occasions.
Apparently you are simply too stupid to grasp it.

> >> Without something to protect those rights, you do not have them.
> >
> > Obviously true, given the rampage of rights trampling that has
> > taken off and is currently accelerating thanks to the wonderful
> > excuse of "9/11" and "homeland security".
>
> No argument here.
>
> >> In any case, I have quoted Supreme Court decisions where they talk about
> >> the granting of rights

Do you believe that SC justices never make errors?

> > Sadly, the Supreme Court is culpable in the majority of rights
> > trampling extant in this country today. The opinions written by
> > the supremes are not authoritative, the Constitution itself is.

Snit is obviously holding the Justices above the Constitution to make
his claim that rights are 'granted' to the people. He has no evidence
derived from the Constitution itself that support his erroneous claim.

> > Centuries of bad political appointments have definitely
> > corrupted it.
>
> The SC has done both good and bad.
>
> >> ... it is simple semantics.
> >
> > Actually, it's quite complicated.
>
> Not really.... the idea comes down to if you think the rights already exist
> and some governments take them or if you think the rights only exist if
> those in power allow them.
>
> In the end, however, it is mere semantics.

Horseshit.

> >> In any case, you mostly - though not fully - agreed with me.
> >
> > In point of fact, I agreed with some, but not all of the content
> > of your earlier post to which I replied. It has nothing to do
> > with whether or not I agree with you in general.
>
> Fair enough... you agreed with most of my points... though that does not
> imply agreement with other comments of mine. Of course not.
>
> >> How long until Steve, Adams, Wally, and the like call you a troll.

Not as long a wait as it takes to call you an idiot, idiot;)

> > Despite the lack of proper punctuation, I care not whether or
> > not they call me a troll.
>
> There are schools of thought that say the comma does belong before the
> "and"... if that is what you mean.
>
> >> You are safe from them. :)
> >
> > I am safe from them, regardless of any of this.
>
> Very true... I was being somewhat silly.

Capping off your glue tube might help prevent that.

Wally

Sep 22, 2006, 5:05:52 AM9/22/06
On 21/9/06 11:44 PM, in article C138016B.605DC%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID,
"Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
> noone-319135....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/21/06 7:38 AM:
>
>> In article <NPednaOnV4X8ZozY...@comcast.com>,
>> "Steven de Mena" <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Snit" <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote in message

>>> I thought the NTSC DVD was shown to have 42% more pixels? Was that
>>> incorrect?
>>

>> It's correct... Snit just doesn't to confront the fact that ed presented
>> him with a reality he can't bear to look at. That's the reason you see
>> Snit posting a bunch of extraneous bullshit... in a feeble attempt to
>> obscure reality and revise history. In other words, business as usual
>> for Snit.
>
> Are you having fun begging for my attention? Is it working for you? Do you
> think it makes you look cool... if so, to whom? Tim Adams? Wally, if he

> ever comes back ..

Have I been away? No! I'm simply having fun watching you do the one thing
that you are good at....providing cheap laughs, this thread is just one more
example! keep up the good work, ...as if you have a choice! LOL!

--
"I really is that simple"-Snit

Lefty Bigfoot

Sep 22, 2006, 9:40:33 AM9/22/06
Snit wrote
(in article <C13883DE.60686%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):

> "Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post

> 0001HW.C13891C1...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 5:00 PM:
>

>> It's readily apparent that our school system is a dismal

>> failure. A lot of the blame surely goes on the parents, but the
>> teachers, school boards, etc. care a large share of the blame as
>> well.
>
> Private schools have not proved to be better than public... if that matters
> to you.

Actually, although not all private schools are great, the
majority of them are vastly better than public. Anomalies exist
on both sides.

> Part of the problem with the schools today is that more and more and more is
> added to the curriculum... too much to possibly cover well.

I disagree, the curriculum is horribly limited in my opinion.
Plus, they spend time on bullshit teaching methods, like drawing
pictures of numbers that look like legos instead of learning how
to add and subtract properly. Ridiculous, new age horseshit.

> Add to that teachers are expected to pay for their own school supplies...
> which is silly, though they do get some back in their taxes.

Strange, must vary by location. Where I live, I am expected to
pay for the school supplies, and give them to other kids in the
class to use like a damn commune, no private property rights in
the classroom either. :-(

> Our system really needs to be re-thought.

Education needs to be the responsibility of the parents, not the
government. The government has a vested interest in a basically
stupid electorate, and having control of the educational system
makes that far too easy to accomplish, as has been demonstrated
so well in the US.

>>> I can see your frustration with that.
>>
>> I left out the bit where I confronted said teachers about the
>> errors, and they didn't even know enough to admit their
>> mistakes, they still thought they were correct. Bear in mind,
>> my child brought the caught the errors before I was even shown
>> the notes. Pathetic.
>
> Do you remember what the errors were?

I have them somewhere, but suffice it to say that a 9 year old
picked up on them right away, so nothing even remotely obscure.

>>> How long until Steve, Adams, Wally, and the like call you a troll.
>>
>> Despite the lack of proper punctuation, I care not whether or
>> not they call me a troll.
>
> There are schools of thought that say the comma does belong before the
> "and"... if that is what you mean.

I was referring to the lack of a question mark.

Snit

Sep 22, 2006, 11:10:29 AM9/22/06
"Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
0001HW.C1395201...@news.verizon.net on 9/22/06 6:40 AM:

> Snit wrote
> (in article <C13883DE.60686%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):
>
>> "Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
>> 0001HW.C13891C1...@news.verizon.net on 9/21/06 5:00 PM:
>>

>>> It's readily apparent that our school system is a dismal
>>> failure. A lot of the blame surely goes on the parents, but the
>>> teachers, school boards, etc. care a large share of the blame as
>>> well.
>>
>> Private schools have not proved to be better than public... if that matters
>> to you.
>
> Actually, although not all private schools are great, the
> majority of them are vastly better than public.

What evidence do you have to support that? While national tests are *far*
from a full proof, they support my view. Add to that the fact I have worked
with multiple private and public schools in several cities...

> Anomalies exist on both sides.

Undoubtedly.

>> Part of the problem with the schools today is that more and more and more is
>> added to the curriculum... too much to possibly cover well.
>
> I disagree, the curriculum is horribly limited in my opinion.

It may also be true that they lack important things, but there is no doubt
more and more is added over time. Compare the curriculum standards of any
given district today with what they were in, say, the 60s and you will
almost undoubtedly see what I mean.

> Plus, they spend time on bullshit teaching methods, like drawing
> pictures of numbers that look like legos instead of learning how
> to add and subtract properly. Ridiculous, new age horseshit.

Curious: what experience do you have educating classrooms of students? Any?
What studies do you base your views on? What model or theory? Just
curious.

>> Add to that teachers are expected to pay for their own school supplies...
>> which is silly, though they do get some back in their taxes.
>
> Strange, must vary by location. Where I live, I am expected to
> pay for the school supplies, and give them to other kids in the
> class to use like a damn commune, no private property rights in
> the classroom either. :-(

You may be asked to supply some things as well, but that does not change the
fact that teachers are expected to also. How many supplies do you have to
pay for where you work... assuming you do not have your own business and you
work in the professional sector, likely not much. There are *some*
exceptions... some professionals are expected to pay for their own tools...
but for teachers they are not paid like these other professionals and have
to continually supply consumables. I will grant that the fed tax system has
finally agreed to pay teachers back a couple hundred a year, though many -
likely most - pay far more.

People who have not worked in the schools rarely have any idea what it is
like to work in such a system... it is a labor of love for most, though many
good teachers are lost because the system is so absurd.

>> Our system really needs to be re-thought.
>
> Education needs to be the responsibility of the parents, not the
> government. The government has a vested interest in a basically
> stupid electorate, and having control of the educational system
> makes that far too easy to accomplish, as has been demonstrated
> so well in the US.

Are you against the public school system completely?

>>> I left out the bit where I confronted said teachers about the
>>> errors, and they didn't even know enough to admit their
>>> mistakes, they still thought they were correct. Bear in mind,
>>> my child brought the caught the errors before I was even shown
>>> the notes. Pathetic.
>>
>> Do you remember what the errors were?
>
> I have them somewhere, but suffice it to say that a 9 year old
> picked up on them right away, so nothing even remotely obscure.

Fair enough. And I have met such teachers... I am not denying your story at
all. I have also met such doctors and other professionals. Makes you
wonder how they got into the positions they are in. Many of the EDU
colleges in the country are lacking... severely. I do not deny that.

>>> Despite the lack of proper punctuation, I care not whether or
>>> not they call me a troll.
>>
>> There are schools of thought that say the comma does belong before the
>> "and"... if that is what you mean.
>
> I was referring to the lack of a question mark.

Fair enough, and, clearly, my error!?..?!

:)

Snit

Sep 22, 2006, 11:19:31 AM9/22/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-EAA938....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/21/06 10:44 PM:

Are you having fun begging for my attention?

LOL!

The fact is you denied that when someone breaks national treaties that they
break US law. In fact, Steve, you *still* have not accepted that... or do
you agree now with the fact that when Bush broke treaties he broke US law?
Your past defenses of Bush have been to whine that you think he followed
*other* laws (as if that were relevant) or to repeatedly spew your well
named argument from ignorance. How about a little test for you:

<http://csma.gallopinginsanity.com/bush/>

By all means, Steve, post your best rebuttal. Your absolute best. Let's
see if you can find an honest counter argument now... clearly you have been
utterly and completely failing for years. Heck, if you think you have done
so successfully some time in the past, just link to it.

Oh, and Steve, the fact that you feel the need to lie about me in your
*every* post and post quotes snipped out of context proves beyond any
reasonable doubt your sick need to beg for my attention. Are you enjoying
the attention I am giving you? Do you like when I point out how your own
trolling kicks you in the ass over and over? LOL!

--
€ Nuclear arms are arms

€ There is no known malware that attacks OS X in the wild

Lefty Bigfoot

Sep 22, 2006, 1:16:30 PM9/22/06
Snit wrote
(in article <C1394AF5.606F7%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):

>> Education needs to be the responsibility of the parents, not the
>> government. The government has a vested interest in a basically
>> stupid electorate, and having control of the educational system
>> makes that far too easy to accomplish, as has been demonstrated
>> so well in the US.
>
> Are you against the public school system completely?

I wasn't in the past, but I'm there now. They've failed, as all
bureaucracies must fail, and there's really no hope of salvaging
it.

They don't have the basic equipment they need (like working copy
machines and staplers) but they will have a large, empty, poorly
maintained lab room filled to the brim with computers they don't
need. Each child will spend maybe 30 minutes a week on the
computers (which isn't a problem, they all have one at home, and
spend too much time on them anyway). The football stadium will
be nice and well maintained, and the school board meeting
facilities will be beautiful. Meanwhile the kids don't have
enough textbooks. Students graduate every year with "honors",
and they can't even spell, formulate a sentence, or make change
from a cash register. It's hopeless.

Snit

Sep 22, 2006, 1:51:25 PM9/22/06
"Lefty Bigfoot" <nu...@busyness.info> stated in post
0001HW.C139849E...@news.verizon.net on 9/22/06 10:16 AM:

> Snit wrote
> (in article <C1394AF5.606F7%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>):
>
>>> Education needs to be the responsibility of the parents, not the
>>> government. The government has a vested interest in a basically
>>> stupid electorate, and having control of the educational system
>>> makes that far too easy to accomplish, as has been demonstrated
>>> so well in the US.
>>
>> Are you against the public school system completely?
>
> I wasn't in the past, but I'm there now. They've failed, as all
> bureaucracies must fail, and there's really no hope of salvaging
> it.

Being that private schools, statistically, have not only not been able to do
better, but *should* be able to given their ability to cherry pick students,
what do you have - in general - against public schools that you think
private schools would fix?

> They don't have the basic equipment they need (like working copy
> machines and staplers)

Most have these... though not all. It is sad.

> but they will have a large, empty, poorly maintained lab room filled to the
> brim with computers they don't need.

They have technology they do not need and teachers who are ill trained, if
trained at all, on how to use it effectively. There I agree with you.
Private schools suffer from the same thing... maybe even worse. Parents
expect to see shining rooms of bleeping devices... and think that leads to
an education.

> Each child will spend maybe 30 minutes a week on the computers (which isn't a
> problem, they all have one at home, and spend too much time on them anyway).

They also have pens and pencils at home and deal with number and language.
That does not imply they should not be taught how to *correctly* work with
and use language, numbers, math and computers. I have taught computers to
K-12 students for years (and college and seniors). High school students
often have little idea how to use, say, MS Word to write a well formatted
paper, cannot effectively use the Internet, have no idea how to use
spreadsheets, often cannot type (though that is changing), have no idea how
to put together an effective presentation, etc.

> The football stadium will be nice and well maintained, and the school board
> meeting facilities will be beautiful. Meanwhile the kids don't have enough
> textbooks.

I agree this is far too often a problem. I used to work for one of the
largest school districts in the country (Clark County in Nevada) and this
was a huge problem. Heck, forget books, the ceilings were caving in for
some of the schools in the poorer areas! When I lived in Tucson things were
much the same. Pathetic.

> Students graduate every year with "honors", and they can't even spell,
> formulate a sentence, or make change from a cash register. It's hopeless.

Not hopeless, but the education system is in need of an overhaul. To some
extent what Bush and crew have done with "No Child Left Behind" has had some
benefit, though the laws are too complex, there are poorly funded mandates,
and screwy rules... here are some examples, at least in how they are
interpreted in the state I am in:

* If a teacher has a class that has been poorly taught in the past and is,
say, working at the 6th grade level even though they are in the 9th grade,
even if the teacher does a wonderful job and gets the students up to the 8th
grade level by the end of the year, the teacher is labeled as "failing".
That is idiotic.

* Schools *must*, by law, teach kids based on their abilities - but the
tests are done by grade level. Kids are forced to take tests on material
they have not covered or, almost as bad, on material they are far past.

* Schools *must*, by law, offer accommodations to students who need them -
but those students are not counted in the percentages of students who have
taken the standardized tests. Yet, schools *must* have over 95% of their
students be counted as taking these tests... or they are considered failing.
If a school has more than 5% students with special needs they are defined by
the laws as failing schools. That is beyond asinine.

And on and on... the system just needs major overhaul. We should look at
the *studies* and the *data* and see what curriculum areas are best covered
for each age... and then post those as strong suggestions for the states to
work with. Let each state or school district (or school) make the final
decisions on how that will best work for their students, but encourage some
consistency across the country. Make sure that the curriculum is
reasonable, broad enough to allow the experts in the field to best work with
the students they have, and not overly burdened with all the BS that keeps
being added in... much of it things that should be taught at home.

We also need to find ways of getting more parental involvement. This is not
easy. Most kids today have either single parents or parents that both
work... all too often they hardly have parents at all. I am all for equal
rights for all people, but when our society changed and women stopped
staying at home to raise their kids there was no accommodation made. Sure,
there are some families who still hold that as important - my own included -
but it is rare. That, really, is as much a part of the problem as anything.
When kids have ineffective or absent parents, they end up being raised by
the schools - a job the schools should not have to take on. It is grossly
unfair to the kids without real parents and it is just as unfair to the
other kids who *do* have parents but whose education suffers based on the
schools needing to take on such a role.

Ok... rant over. For now. :)

--

€ Teaching is a "real job"

€ The path "~/users/username/library/widget" is not common on any OS

Steve Carroll

Sep 22, 2006, 2:48:09 PM9/22/06
In article <C1394D13.606FF%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

hat is this delusion you keep having where you think I have to "beg' for
your attention. Anyone with 6 brain cells that work can see I have it
when I want it;)

Snit

Sep 22, 2006, 3:15:01 PM9/22/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-AAFE2E....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/22/06 11:48 AM:

>> Are you having fun begging for my attention?
>
> hat is this delusion you keep having where you think I have to "beg' for
> your attention. Anyone with 6 brain cells that work can see I have it
> when I want it;)

Steve - read your .sig.

Your trolling kicked you in your ass again. And, of course, you snipped and
ran from the following:

>> LOL!
>>
>> The fact is you denied that when someone breaks national treaties that they
>> break US law. In fact, Steve, you *still* have not accepted that... or do
>> you agree now with the fact that when Bush broke treaties he broke US law?
>> Your past defenses of Bush have been to whine that you think he followed
>> *other* laws (as if that were relevant) or to repeatedly spew your well named
>> argument from ignorance. How about a little test for you:
>>
>> <http://csma.gallopinginsanity.com/bush/>
>>
>> By all means, Steve, post your best rebuttal. Your absolute best. Let's see
>> if you can find an honest counter argument now... clearly you have been
>> utterly and completely failing for years. Heck, if you think you have done
>> so successfully some time in the past, just link to it.
>>

>> Oh, and Steve, the fact that you feel the need to lie about me in your
>> *every* post and post quotes snipped out of context proves beyond any
>> reasonable doubt your sick need to beg for my attention. Are you enjoying
>> the attention I am giving you? Do you like when I point out how your own
>> trolling kicks you in the ass over and over? LOL!

Gee, Steve - you did exactly as I predicted... you *still* cannot find a way
to honestly argue against the very debate that got you so mad at me - so mad
you now lie about me in your *every* post and just run around begging for my
attention.

Are you enjoying it? LOL!

--

€ Teaching is a "real job"

€ The path "~/users/username/library/widget" is not common on any OS

Steve Carroll

Sep 22, 2006, 10:35:54 PM9/22/06
In article <C1398445.6076A%SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>,
Snit <SN...@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> wrote:

> "Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
> noone-AAFE2E....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/22/06 11:48 AM:
>
> >> Are you having fun begging for my attention?
> >
> > hat is this delusion you keep having where you think I have to "beg' for
> > your attention. Anyone with 6 brain cells that work can see I have it
> > when I want it;)
>
> Steve - read your .sig.

I already told you.. I agree with you that you are a big liar. What
about it?

Snit

Sep 23, 2006, 12:17:28 AM9/23/06
"Steve Carroll" <no...@nowhere.net> stated in post
noone-6BB85A....@comcast.dca.giganews.com on 9/22/06 7:35 PM:

>>> hat is this delusion you keep having where you think I have to "beg' for
>>> your attention. Anyone with 6 brain cells that work can see I have it when I
>>> want it;)
>>>
>> Steve - read your .sig.

Note: Steve has no honest response for why he begs for my attention in his
every post... as proved by his dishonest .sig. Poor Steve.

>> Your trolling kicked you in your ass again. And, of course, you snipped and
>> ran from the following:

>> Gee, Steve - you did exactly as I predicted... you *still* cannot find a way
>> to honestly argue against the very debate that got you so mad at me - so mad
>> you now lie about me in your *every* post and just run around begging for my
>> attention.
>>
>> Are you enjoying it? LOL!
>

> I already told you.. I agree with you that you are a big liar. What
> about it?

Having been given a chance to defend his position, Steve sinks to lying,
snipping, and running yet again. The facts:

€ Steve still can't find an honest counterargument for my claims about Bush
€ Steve still can't take responsibility for his lies and dishonest snipping

You always will take the low road, Steve. You and your lies and running
against me with my honor and honesty. No wonder you give up so easily.

Yet another chance for you, Steve:

* Can you take responsibility for your repeated lying and begging for my
attention?
* Can you finally find some honest rebuttal against my argument against
Bush, as linked to and discussed above

Of course, Steve, you and I both know the answer: you can only snip, lie,
obfuscate, run, spew accusations, and do all your normal trolling. What a
predictable and pathetic troll you are!