Why would anyone buy an iPod...

1 view

Edwin

May 12, 2005, 7:06:50 PM5/12/05

... when a PSP cost less and does more?

Macslut

May 12, 2005, 8:03:18 PM5/12/05
A PSP doesn't cost less than all of the iPods, and while it has
features the iPod doesn't the iPod has features the PSP doesn't...

The PSP doesn't work with iTunes or iTMS. Heck, it's not even Janus
compatible...no Napster, no Yahoo, no Rhapsody.

The PSP is waaaaay to big and bulky for my needs. I constantly use my
Shuffle as a thumb drive going around between the various computers
I'll use during the week, and listen to music while travelling in
between. This wouldn't be *quite* the same experience with a PSP.

Pretty much the PSP sucks for everything *but* games, and I think they
blew it big time in a lot of ways. It sure made a big splash when it
went on sale, but numbers are dropping like a rock...it's currently
down to #96 on Amazon in the electronics section, way down below every
model of iPod and Tiger. While I still think they'll end up selling
significant quantities, I don't think it will cut into iPod sales in
any measurable way...interestingly, everyone I know with a PSP also has
an iPod and has told me they're going to continue using the iPod for
music and also have no interest in buying those dumbass movies for the
PSP.

Edwin

May 12, 2005, 8:14:44 PM5/12/05

Macslut wrote:
> A PSP doesn't cost less than all of the iPods,

It costs less than the lowest priced iPod that can handle video.

> and while it has
> features the iPod doesn't the iPod has features the PSP doesn't...

I'll take the features the PSP has.

> The PSP doesn't work with iTunes or iTMS. Heck, it's not even Janus
> compatible...no Napster, no Yahoo, no Rhapsody.

Who cares? iTunes converts files to mp3, remember?

> The PSP is waaaaay to big and bulky for my needs. I constantly use
my
> Shuffle as a thumb drive going around between the various computers
> I'll use during the week, and listen to music while travelling in
> between. This wouldn't be *quite* the same experience with a PSP.

The Shuffle really sucks at playing video.

> Pretty much the PSP sucks for everything *but* games, and I think
they
> blew it big time in a lot of ways. It sure made a big splash when it
> went on sale, but numbers are dropping like a rock...it's currently
> down to #96 on Amazon in the electronics section, way down below
every
> model of iPod and Tiger. While I still think they'll end up selling
> significant quantities, I don't think it will cut into iPod sales in
> any measurable way...interestingly, everyone I know with a PSP also
has
> an iPod and has told me they're going to continue using the iPod for
> music and also have no interest in buying those dumbass movies for
the
> PSP.

Denial has set in...

Snit

May 12, 2005, 8:23:50 PM5/12/05
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> stated in post
1115943284....@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com on 5/12/05 5:14 PM:

> Macslut wrote:
>> A PSP doesn't cost less than all of the iPods,
>
> It costs less than the lowest priced iPod that can handle video.

Which is in no way contrary to the comments you are responding to.

>> and while it has
>> features the iPod doesn't the iPod has features the PSP doesn't...
>
> I'll take the features the PSP has.

Feel free.

>> The PSP doesn't work with iTunes or iTMS. Heck, it's not even Janus
>> compatible...no Napster, no Yahoo, no Rhapsody.
>
> Who cares? iTunes converts files to mp3, remember?

It can... so?

>> The PSP is waaaaay to big and bulky for my needs. I constantly use my
>> Shuffle as a thumb drive going around between the various computers I'll use
>> during the week, and listen to music while travelling in between. This
>> wouldn't be *quite* the same experience with a PSP.
>>
> The Shuffle really sucks at playing video.

The Shuffle is not designed for video, so it plays it as well as it is meant
to. Did you really not know that?

>> Pretty much the PSP sucks for everything *but* games, and I think they blew
>> it big time in a lot of ways. It sure made a big splash when it went on
>> sale, but numbers are dropping like a rock...it's currently down to #96 on
>> Amazon in the electronics section, way down below every model of iPod and
>> Tiger. While I still think they'll end up selling significant quantities, I
>> don't think it will cut into iPod sales in any measurable
>> way...interestingly, everyone I know with a PSP also has an iPod and has told
>> me they're going to continue using the iPod for music and also have no
>> interest in buying those dumbass movies for the PSP.
>
> Denial has set in...

Well, your first step to recovery is to admit to it, so you are at least
taking the right step.

Macslut

May 12, 2005, 8:38:44 PM5/12/05

Edwin wrote:
> Macslut wrote:

[snip of whole right tool for the right job]

> > Pretty much the PSP sucks for everything *but* games, and I think
> they
> > blew it big time in a lot of ways. It sure made a big splash when
it
> > went on sale, but numbers are dropping like a rock...it's currently
> > down to #96 on Amazon in the electronics section, way down below
> every
> > model of iPod and Tiger. While I still think they'll end up
selling
> > significant quantities, I don't think it will cut into iPod sales
in
> > any measurable way...interestingly, everyone I know with a PSP also
> has
> > an iPod and has told me they're going to continue using the iPod
for
> > music and also have no interest in buying those dumbass movies for
> the
> > PSP.
>
> Denial has set in...

You know if you go to the top sellers at Amazon and scroll down that
list to the PSP a few times, you're going to eventually catch on to the
the fact that you're scrolling past numerous higher selling iPod
products (iPods and accessories) before you get there. The PSP *was*
selling higher initially but has continued to drop week over week.

As I said before, I think it will end up selling significant
quantities, but this will be when some killer apps (games) come out for
it. It won't be for movies or music unless Sony radically changes the
product.

Read some of the many user reviews on Amazon...even many of the reviews
that give it the highest ratings don't praise it for anything else but
games.

TheLetterK

May 12, 2005, 8:45:00 PM5/12/05
Edwin wrote:
> Macslut wrote:
>
>>A PSP doesn't cost less than all of the iPods,
>

> It costs less than the lowest priced iPod that can handle video.
What if I don't want to play video on such a small screen? I can get a
PDA that does more than the PSP for a lot less as well. Does that mean I
should buy a Zire 31 instead?

>>and while it has
>>features the iPod doesn't the iPod has features the PSP doesn't...
>

> I'll take the features the PSP has.
Good for you. Noone's forcing you to buy an iPod.

>>The PSP doesn't work with iTunes or iTMS. Heck, it's not even Janus
>>compatible...no Napster, no Yahoo, no Rhapsody.
>

> Who cares? iTunes converts files to mp3, remember?
Transcoding between lossy formats is a bad plan.

>>The PSP is waaaaay to big and bulky for my needs. I constantly use
>
> my
>
>>Shuffle as a thumb drive going around between the various computers
>>I'll use during the week, and listen to music while travelling in
>>between. This wouldn't be *quite* the same experience with a PSP.
>

> The Shuffle really sucks at playing video.
Again, why would I care about video playback on a Digital *Audio* Player?

Tim Smith

May 13, 2005, 12:27:33 AM5/13/05

"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:
> Macslut wrote:
> > A PSP doesn't cost less than all of the iPods,
>
> It costs less than the lowest priced iPod that can handle video.

What makes you think everyone wants video?

--
--Tim Smith

Lisa Horton

May 13, 2005, 12:29:29 PM5/13/05

Edwin wrote:

> ... when a PSP cost less and does more?

A rather nonsensical question. Although the PSP can play music, they
are different devices with different purposes.

A very poor troll.

Lisa

Timberwoof

May 13, 2005, 12:58:53 PM5/13/05
In article <4284D5E9...@lisahorton.net>,
Lisa Horton <Lisa...@lisahorton.net> wrote:

The PSP is a loss-leader; its price is subsidized by Sony. They want you to buy
games for it.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship,

Joe Discar

May 13, 2005, 1:10:21 PM5/13/05
A similar question is why would anyone buy a Jaguar when Hyundais "cost less
and do more?"

After browsing CSMA for the past few days, I'm coming to the conclusion that
some of these people--Edwin, for example, simply do not believe in free
choice.

Edwin, please consider that not everyone thinks like you. Maybe they have
more disposable income than you and they think the lemming-factor is worth
more than the actual capability? Maybe they put style more ahead than
performance, or user friendliness more than capacity?

The first car I ever purchased I bought because I liked the way the
dashboard looked and the car had cup holders.

Here's an anecdote (and a testimony to Apple's apparent synergistic
marketing campaign). I bought my Mac Mini for a sepcific implementation of
a server--but my daughters have found the interface really cool (I have to
kick them out of my home office because the mini shares the same
monitor/keyboard as my more-often-used Windows and Linux boxes)... NOW my
daughter wants me to buy her an Ipod(!)--part of her argument is that it
interfaces with Macs really well (as if I'd let her use my Mac Mini/server
for iTunes!). I argue that (IMHO) the new Olympus seems to be "cooler" (Lit
red on black)--and it "does more." That's besides the point--IPods are more
"in" with her crowd. **I** have a lot of disposable income--so I'll
probably relent. Is it the Ipod the best choice? Apparently to *her* it
is... Her REQUIREMENTS exceed the simply technical ones... And her aesthetic
tastes are different than mine.

If I were like these "Wintrolls" I should buy her what I want and force it
down her throat, right?

Be open minded. You'll find you'll get further along in life.

On 5/13/05 9:29 AM, in article 4284D5E9...@lisahorton.net, "Lisa

Rick

May 13, 2005, 3:48:24 PM5/13/05
On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:06:50 -0700, Edwin wrote:

> ... when a PSP cost less and does more?

... if you have to ask ...

--
Rick

Invid Fan

May 13, 2005, 4:28:45 PM5/13/05
In article <timberwoof-4DFDE...@typhoon.sonic.net>,
Timberwoof <timbe...@stimpberawoofm.com> wrote:

> In article <4284D5E9...@lisahorton.net>,
> Lisa Horton <Lisa...@lisahorton.net> wrote:
>
> > Edwin wrote:
> > >
> > > ... when a PSP cost less and does more?
> >
> > A rather nonsensical question. Although the PSP can play music, they
> > are different devices with different purposes.
> >
> > A very poor troll.
> >
> > Lisa
>
> The PSP is a loss-leader; its price is subsidized by Sony. They want you to buy
> games for it.

And movies, although a Malaysian friend of mine reports people have
already been ripping dvd's and putting them on memory sticks for the
PSP. This means no need to re-buy movies you already have, although
unlike bootleg disks it's hard pirate a memory stick :)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

K E

May 14, 2005, 3:39:34 PM5/14/05
> In article
> <1115943284....@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

> "Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> Quote:Macslut wrote:

> A PSP doesn't cost less than all of the iPods,

> It costs less than the lowest priced iPod that can handle video.

> What makes you think everyone wants video?

> --

> --Tim Smith

I'm sure I've seen several polls that show people aren't all that
interested in video on a tiny screen.
* please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac

Edwin

May 18, 2005, 5:01:42 PM5/18/05

"Tim Smith" <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message

Are you questioning why Apple put video into an iPod?

Alan Baker

May 18, 2005, 5:07:21 PM5/18/05
In article <V2Oie.774$xI3...@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

So your subject line was really supposed to be "Why would anyone by a
*video iPod...", right?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Edwin

May 18, 2005, 5:13:34 PM5/18/05

"TheLetterK" <thele...@nospam.spymac.com> wrote in message

> Edwin wrote:
>> Macslut wrote:
>>
>>>A PSP doesn't cost less than all of the iPods,
>>

>> It costs less than the lowest priced iPod that can handle video.

> What if I don't want to play video on such a small screen? I can get a
> PDA that does more than the PSP for a lot less as well. Does that mean I
> should buy a Zire 31 instead?

Why didn't you ask those questions in an iPod to Zire 31 comparison?

>>>and while it has
>>>features the iPod doesn't the iPod has features the PSP doesn't...
>>

>> I'll take the features the PSP has.
> Good for you. Noone's forcing you to buy an iPod.

I'm not unique in the market. The iPod is passe.

>>>The PSP doesn't work with iTunes or iTMS. Heck, it's not even Janus
>>>compatible...no Napster, no Yahoo, no Rhapsody.
>>

>> Who cares? iTunes converts files to mp3, remember?
> Transcoding between lossy formats is a bad plan.

Why didn't you tell this to the Maccies who suggested mp3 files as a
solution to the complaint that iTunes wouldn't support other players?

>>>The PSP is waaaaay to big and bulky for my needs. I constantly use
>>
>> my
>>
>>>Shuffle as a thumb drive going around between the various computers
>>>I'll use during the week, and listen to music while travelling in
>>>between. This wouldn't be *quite* the same experience with a PSP.
>>

>> The Shuffle really sucks at playing video.

> Again, why would I care about video playback on a Digital *Audio* Player?

So you think Apple should drop all iPods except for the Shuffle?

[snip]

Tim Smith

May 21, 2005, 4:07:16 AM5/21/05
In article <V2Oie.774$xI3...@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

No, I'm asking you why you think everyone wants video.

--
--Tim Smith

TravelinMan

May 21, 2005, 8:14:28 AM5/21/05
In article
<reply_in_group-3E4...@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't mind a small hard disk based video device. We use
portable DVD players a lot when we travel, but carrying all the DVDs is
a pain. If they ever get the DRM crap resolved so that we could carry a
small format video device that we could transfer our DVDs to for
viewing, that would be useful.

Lisa Horton

May 21, 2005, 12:25:28 PM5/21/05

The appropriate response to DRM on your media is to crack it. Utilities
exist to do this, and also some for the PSP specific aspects.

Lisa

TravelinMan

May 21, 2005, 11:43:16 PM5/21/05
In article <428F60F8...@lisahorton.net>,
Lisa Horton <Lisa...@lisahorton.net> wrote:

Sorry, but I don't believe in breaking the law.

Tim Smith

May 22, 2005, 7:14:32 AM5/22/05
In article <Nowhere-38D49E...@news.central.cox.net>,

TravelinMan <Now...@spamfree.com> wrote:

> > The appropriate response to DRM on your media is to crack it. Utilities
> > exist to do this, and also some for the PSP specific aspects.
> >

> Sorry, but I don't believe in breaking the law.

The only legal problem in general when putting something you bought onto
a portable device is violation of a EULA, but aren't we talking about
DVDs here? If so, no EULA is involved.

--
--Tim Smith

ZnU

May 23, 2005, 2:09:51 AM5/23/05

This falls under fair use. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act appears
to prohibit the creation and distribution of tools for bypassing DVD
copy protection, but it does not seem to prohibit their use. See:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c105:1:./temp/~c105CTvH8W:e11962:

`(c) OTHER RIGHTS, ETC., NOT AFFECTED- (1) Nothing in this section shall
affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright
infringement, including fair use, under this title.

In other words, if you have the right to rip a DVD to your hard drive
for personal use if it's not encrypted (which you do), the DMCA doesn't
deprive you of that.

--
"This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply
ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table."