Appile should be actively barred from all schools

7

Sep 4, 2012, 4:35:03 PM9/4/12
Appile should be actively barred from all schools

Talk about the Baby Duck Syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Duck_Syndrome

In human–computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the
tendency for computer users to "imprint" on the first system they
learn...

its obvious all appile computers should
be removed from the teaching rooms because
Appil systems are not open and if kids
can't get to flexible computing where they are
able to open up computers at the hardware and
software level to learn computing and computers,
then frankly they are not getting the education they need.

Teaching is also missing out on the immense flexibility
of open source to adapt to educational needs by allowing
modification of code, the copying of code and the rights
to distribute modified code to lost as a culture in the
classroom for the sake of worshiping some completely
irrelevant Appile rubbish thats been pushed into the
classroom by Baby Duck Syndrome suffering drones who
are too blinkered in their ways to see past all
this and who go on to start putting flexible teaching at risk.

Baby Duck Syndrome suffering Appile only graduates are just
plain losers when it comes to dealing with wider software
and hardware that may be given to them to work with in the
wider world. More reasons to chuck out Appile products
from the classroom and concentrate on open source and Linux
which are immensely flexible, free and full of diversity.

http://www.distrowatch.com
http://www.livecdlist.com

7

Sep 4, 2012, 4:35:27 PM9/4/12
Hmmm...

Appil funded trolls Snit, Foster, DFS, Clogwog, Big Steel, Ezekiel,
Sandman, Lloyd, White Spirit, Hadron, Henk & Ingrid and Torre Starnes would
love to bring their traditional anti-Linux cat calls
to your attention but they are too busy buying Samsung products
to spite Appile for being the most hated patent trolling crocporation
in the world.

More reasons to ban Appil from schools for its
greedy executives that systematically abuse patent trolling
to increase the cost to consumers of competing smartphones
that are better than theirs inferior foggy video playing smartphones,
compared to the superior video play like those sold by Samsung.

Goblin

Sep 4, 2012, 4:45:16 PM9/4/12
Firstly 7, I'm a little uncomfortable with the banning of any tech
product. Whilst for the best of intentions (probably) it does go in the
face of free choice and freedom in general.

Secondly, am I to assume enemygadgets is your site and collection of
inventions? If so, can you explain why you'd have a go at Apple for its
patents when you say:

>> The preliminary patent search has turned into a very positive report that is likely to result in granting of patent.
>> Anyone wishing to invest in this technology can now do so in the knowledge their investment will be protected.

(In respect of Wafer Thin Harmonic Drive)

Maybe thats wrong and the sites not yours. A little clarity would be
appreciated.

--
Openbytes the Linux/FOSS Blogazine! - http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."

BytesMedia: www.bytesmedia.co.uk

Email: bytes...@googlemail.com
Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/114824920343832764896/posts
Identi.ca: identi.ca/openbytes
Twitter: twitter.com/_goblin

Skype: tim.openbytes

Alan Baker

Sep 4, 2012, 4:54:00 PM9/4/12
In article <YBt1s.455802$UL.3...@fx19.am4>,
So Windows should also be banned then?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

7

Sep 4, 2012, 5:13:44 PM9/4/12
I'm fully for active banning.

Technology is a living thing. After all the studies across all
economies, across all time periods in history,
it is ALWAYS technology and its FREE availability of technology
is what counts. Not politicians, not dictators, not Romans,
not Genghis Khan.

If you got Appile or Micorshaft entering schools with
a view to barring open source and Linux in particular,
then I firmly believe they should be removed for the
sake putting more and freedom technology in the hands
of teachers and kids. And the training that goes with
to make effective use of all that technology and work
it to get you commercial advantage.

I do ten times more engineering per day with open
source and Linux than I ever did or can ever do
with micorshaft and appile.

There is no way for you to compete with me in the work place
unless you are armed with open source and Linux.

Time is money in business.

So why anyone would be wanting to take the lesser
route to technology through proprietary
and all the restrictions it imposes is beyond me.

> Whilst for the best of intentions (probably) it does go in the
> face of free choice and freedom in general.
>
> Secondly, am I to assume enemygadgets is your site and collection of
> inventions? If so, can you explain why you'd have a go at Apple for its
> patents when you say:
>
>>> The preliminary patent search has turned into a very positive report
>>> that is likely to result in granting of patent.
>>> Anyone wishing to invest in this technology can now do so in the
>>> knowledge their investment will be protected.
>

> (In respect of Wafer Thin Harmonic Drive)
>
> Maybe thats wrong and the sites not yours. A little clarity would be
> appreciated.

?

There is nothing to clarify other than what you don't know
about patent trolls and their anti-thesis - the inventors.

Patent trolls are reviled by inventors the world over.

The first ever person to be called a patent troll sued a prominent inventor
or may be someone close and well known to inventors representing the
interests of inventors (I forget the story).

7

Sep 4, 2012, 5:19:30 PM9/4/12
Well, keep the glass to let in some sunshine, but yeah throw out
the rest of the closed rubbish with Appil including the proprietary
education suites and insist on ports to open source OS such
as Linux. Such things are already available, and so it is easy
as Pi to extend good IT and business practice by copying working
models.

Alan Baker

Sep 4, 2012, 5:27:37 PM9/4/12
In article <Sfu1s.157239$Xu5....@fx10.am4>,
Really, so then the students will only know how to deal with Linux and
thus the really won't be able to deal with the--your words, now--"wider
software and hardware world" that, let's face it, consists mostly of
Windows and the Mac.

So this really isn't about what's doing the best thing for the students
at all with you, is it?

:-)

7

Sep 4, 2012, 5:43:29 PM9/4/12
That way of looking at a problem illustrates the Baby Duck Syndrome
for its full potential.

The wider software and hardware world is ALL Linux.
Take any IT market such as smartphones, flat TV, MP3, MP4, MP5 players,
IP Webcams, set top boxes, DVD players, HD recorders, printers, tablets,
routers, supercomputers, server farms, plug computers, all major
stock exchanges etc is all Linux.
Linux sells 20 million+ gadgets PER DAY and keeps the entire
electronics market in the high street going feeding all the retailers
of gadgets.
The exception Intel desktop computing market.
Even there, the market is shrinking 10% per annum and Linux is now
on 10% of all desktops according to download stats.

Appil and Micorshaft Oses are transitory like Solaris or Amiga OS
and the vacuum they leave will be filled by open source OSes like
Linux which is more accessible and allow more things to be done
in a shorter period of time. The skills learned are also highly
relevant to the near vacuum for Linux engineers out there.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 5:47:33 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 1:45 PM, in article yLt1s.307633$Yw.2...@fx20.am4, "Goblin"
<bytes...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> More reasons to ban Appil from schools for its
>> greedy executives that systematically abuse patent trolling
>> to increase the cost to consumers of competing smartphones
>> that are better than theirs inferior foggy video playing smartphones,
>> compared to the superior video play like those sold by Samsung.
>>

> Firstly 7, I'm a little uncomfortable with the banning of any tech
> product. Whilst for the best of intentions (probably) it does go in the
> face of free choice and freedom in general.

Very well put. Thank you for having the guts, in COLA, to stand against
such nonsense.

--
Questions about the Skype call between cc, Onion Knight, and myself:
1) Why did cc have no recollection of the "outliers" files I showed him?

Alan Baker

Sep 4, 2012, 6:07:36 PM9/4/12
In article <7Cu1s.456031$UL.2...@fx19.am4>,
No. It is most definitely not.

> Take any IT market such as smartphones, flat TV, MP3, MP4, MP5 players,
> IP Webcams, set top boxes, DVD players, HD recorders, printers, tablets,
> routers, supercomputers, server farms, plug computers, all major
> stock exchanges etc is all Linux.
> Linux sells 20 million+ gadgets PER DAY and keeps the entire
> electronics market in the high street going feeding all the retailers
> of gadgets.

You assume that everyone needs to learn the inner workings of such
devices, and that is just nonsense.

> The exception Intel desktop computing market.
> Even there, the market is shrinking 10% per annum and Linux is now
> on 10% of all desktops according to download stats.
>
> Appil and Micorshaft Oses are transitory like Solaris or Amiga OS
> and the vacuum they leave will be filled by open source OSes like
> Linux which is more accessible and allow more things to be done
> in a shorter period of time. The skills learned are also highly
> relevant to the near vacuum for Linux engineers out there.

Sure. Have fun with that and get back to me when Linux is on more than a
handful (relatively speaking) of people's desks.

Most people don't need to work ON computers, they need to work WITH
them, and the vast majority of computers that people work WITH run Mac
OS X or Windows.

White Spirit

Sep 4, 2012, 6:12:27 PM9/4/12
On 04/09/12 21:35, 7 wrote:

> Appile should be actively barred from all schools

In other words, you resent choice that you don't like.

Noted.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 6:33:48 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 1:35 PM, in article YBt1s.455802$UL.3...@fx19.am4, "7"
<email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:

> Talk about the Baby Duck Syndrome:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Duck_Syndrome
>
> In human�computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the
> tendency for computer users to "imprint" on the first system they
> learn...

This is why I am happy that I started learning Mac, DOS, and Unix literally
all on the same day.

But this is also not a reason for schools, or anyone, to not use the best
tool for the job. I find your anti-choice stance to be absurd.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 6:35:11 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 1:54 PM, in article
alangbaker-B6BE7...@news.shawcable.net, "Alan Baker"
<alang...@telus.net> wrote:

> In article <YBt1s.455802$UL.3...@fx19.am4>,
> 7 <email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:
>
>> Appile should be actively barred from all schools
>>
>> Talk about the Baby Duck Syndrome:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Duck_Syndrome
>>
>> In humanâ•„computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the
And all Linux distros. No fair getting students used to any system.

Idiotic.

Use the best tool for the job - no matter what OS that means. Amazing how
much the Linux "advocates" are against this concept as they stand around
using the word "choice" as a mantra.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 6:36:05 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 2:27 PM, in article
alangbaker-F0D48...@news.shawcable.net, "Alan Baker"
<alang...@telus.net> wrote:

>> Well, keep the glass to let in some sunshine, but yeah throw out
>> the rest of the closed rubbish with Appil including the proprietary
>> education suites and insist on ports to open source OS such
>> as Linux. Such things are already available, and so it is easy
>> as Pi to extend good IT and business practice by copying working
>> models.
>
> Really, so then the students will only know how to deal with Linux and
> thus the really won't be able to deal with the--your words, now--"wider
> software and hardware world" that, let's face it, consists mostly of
> Windows and the Mac.
>
> So this really isn't about what's doing the best thing for the students
> at all with you, is it?
>
> :-)

It is about getting rid of choice. 7 believes the only way desktop Linux
can compete is if the competition is banned - he does not believe desktop
Linux can compete on merit.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 6:37:08 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 2:43 PM, in article 7Cu1s.456031$UL.2...@fx19.am4, "7"
<email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:

>> So this really isn't about what's doing the best thing for the students
>> at all with you, is it?
>>
>> :-)
>
> That way of looking at a problem illustrates the Baby Duck Syndrome
> for its full potential.
>
> The wider software and hardware world is ALL Linux.
> Take any IT market such as smartphones, flat TV, MP3, MP4, MP5 players,
> IP Webcams, set top boxes, DVD players, HD recorders, printers, tablets,
> routers, supercomputers, server farms, plug computers, all major
> stock exchanges etc is all Linux.
> Linux sells 20 million+ gadgets PER DAY and keeps the entire
> electronics market in the high street going feeding all the retailers
> of gadgets.
> The exception Intel desktop computing market.
> Even there, the market is shrinking 10% per annum and Linux is now
> on 10% of all desktops according to download stats.
>
> Appil and Micorshaft Oses are transitory like Solaris or Amiga OS
> and the vacuum they leave will be filled by open source OSes like
> Linux which is more accessible and allow more things to be done
> in a shorter period of time. The skills learned are also highly
> relevant to the near vacuum for Linux engineers out there.

Let the schools pick what works best for them. Choice. It is a beautiful
thing. But right now they do not make the choice you want them to - so you
want to ban other choices.

You show your true colors here - a hatred of choice.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 6:37:47 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 3:12 PM, in article k25ucb$e46$1...@dont-email.me, "White Spirit"
And note how *none* of the herd will call him out on this anti-choice
stance.

7

Sep 4, 2012, 6:45:27 PM9/4/12
Proprietary hates choice as a doctrine.

Most school purchases are done through bribes,
back handers and illegal insiders and backed up
by an army of trolls creating the business
climate against choice - all funded illegally through
charities so that the funding routes cannot be traced.

If it were down to choice alone Linux would have driven out
the corruption and trolls long ago.

Still people are marching with their own feet towards
Linux and open source and there is very little support for proprietary
in any schools these days. That through choice and experience
of that choice opening their eyes to restricted
proprietary software.

Lloyd

Sep 4, 2012, 6:48:38 PM9/4/12
In article <gwv1s.322410$0b5.2...@fx28.am4>,
and another bunch of unsupported crap posted by the idiot '7''

'7', so stupid they gave him a number for a name since they knew he
wouldn't be able spell anything else.

7

Sep 4, 2012, 6:49:32 PM9/4/12
White Spirit wrote:

>> Appile should be actively barred from all schools
>
> In other words, you resent choice that you don't like.
>
> Noted.

Note also Appil's corporate doctrine is to restrict choice
to a severe and greater extent than any freedom and open source
projects.

Note also Appil use online trolls like yourself
to further restrict discussion of choice to their favor.

Alan Baker

Sep 4, 2012, 6:54:29 PM9/4/12
In article <gwv1s.322410$0b5.2...@fx28.am4>,
7 <email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:

Most of your arguments are supposition and out-right hand-waving.

> If it were down to choice alone Linux would have driven out
> the corruption and trolls long ago.

Riiiiight. That's why a whole 1.1* of the browsing done on the web is
done from Linux systems...

> Still people are marching with their own feet towards
> Linux and open source and there is very little support for proprietary
> in any schools these days. That through choice and experience
> of that choice opening their eyes to restricted
> proprietary software.

Again: 1.1% of all web browsing on the web is done from Linux systems
and that number has scarcely changed in the last 4 years.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 6:56:31 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 3:45 PM, in article gwv1s.322410$0b5.2...@fx28.am4, "7"
<email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:

>> Let the schools pick what works best for them. Choice. It is a beautiful
>> thing. But right now they do not make the choice you want them to - so you
>> want to ban other choices.
>>
>> You show your true colors here - a hatred of choice.
>
> Proprietary hates choice as a doctrine.

You are the one who is speaking against choice. You are the only one.
Those of us who happen to have picked a non-Linux solution are not saying
*anything* against choice. I, for example, have repeatedly made it clear
that schools and businesses and individuals and governments should use the
best tool for the job, considering the constraints (such as cost, etc.).

So do not pretend that you are the big defender of choice here as you are
the one attacking it and others are now defending choice.

Let schools pick what serves them best: desktop Linux, Windows, OS X, or
even no computers at all. Do not try to use government force to dictate to
them what they should or should not use.

Choice. Stop fighting against it just because your preferred solution does
not stalk up well against the competition.

> Most school purchases are done through bribes,
> back handers and illegal insiders and backed up
> by an army of trolls creating the business
> climate against choice - all funded illegally through
> charities so that the funding routes cannot be traced.

I have worked at a number of schools. I have been the one who decides what
technology is used at a number of schools. I have never been bribed, been a
part of any illegal activities tied to my decision making, nor influenced by
any "trolls" or whatever. You are simply making that up.

I have used OS X, Windows, and desktop Linux as appropriate. And I will
continue to. I think choice is great.

> If it were down to choice alone Linux would have driven out
> the corruption and trolls long ago.

As noted: you are mad your preferred choice has not done well in an open
market and want to force people to use it.

> Still people are marching with their own feet towards
> Linux and open source and there is very little support for proprietary
> in any schools these days. That through choice and experience
> of that choice opening their eyes to restricted
> proprietary software.

People do not need to have their eyes "opened" through your anti-choice
rants. Choice is good. Stop fighting against it.

Foster

Sep 4, 2012, 7:32:27 PM9/4/12
lol..
How true.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 7:35:59 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 3:48 PM, in article
lloydparsons-D406...@news.eternal-september.org, "Lloyd"
<lloydp...@me.com> wrote:

>> Still people are marching with their own feet towards
>> Linux and open source and there is very little support for proprietary
>> in any schools these days. That through choice and experience
>> of that choice opening their eyes to restricted
>> proprietary software.
>
> and another bunch of unsupported crap posted by the idiot '7''
>
> '7', so stupid they gave him a number for a name since they knew he
> wouldn't be able spell anything else.

Isn't he about to make it to version 8? :)

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 7:38:43 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 3:49 PM, in article 0Av1s.322945$0b5....@fx28.am4, "7"
<email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:

> White Spirit wrote:
>

>>> Appile should be actively barred from all schools
>>
>> In other words, you resent choice that you don't like.
>>
>> Noted.
>

> Note also Appil's corporate doctrine is to restrict choice
> to a severe and greater extent than any freedom and open source
> projects.

Apple does nothing to stop you from choosing whatever tool you want to use.
Your claim is simply a lie.

Apple also has done more to spread open source software than all desktop
Linux distros combined... which just pushes your nonsense into complete
loonyville.

> Note also Appil use online trolls like yourself
> to further restrict discussion of choice to their favor.

Apple is "using" me? How? I *use* Apple products... and MS products... and
desktop Linux. Apple uses me no more than the folks who make Ubuntu "use"
me.

Really, you are just lost.

Snit

Sep 4, 2012, 8:38:52 PM9/4/12
On 9/4/12 3:49 PM, in article 0Av1s.322945$0b5....@fx28.am4, "7"
<email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:

Again: it is *you*, not Apple or anyone else, calling for a limiting of
choice here. Apple offers a choice - you can buy and use their product or
not. They do *nothing* to prevent you from buying or using other products.
Not a thing.

And Apple has spread open source tools to more people than all desktop Linux
distros combined.

The reality is that desktop Linux does not compete well in an open and free
market, so you want to use force to limit choice and make people use what
you like. Doing so is the only way you know to get users to move to it -
and with more users maybe it would become a better environment.

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 2:49:29 AM9/5/12
On 09/04/2012 05:37 PM, Snit wrote:
> On 9/4/12 2:43 PM, in article 7Cu1s.456031$UL.2...@fx19.am4, "7"
> <email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:

[...]
> Let the schools pick what works best for them. Choice.

Such tough choices... do we want to pay M$ or pay nothing for FOSS...

... do we want to pay Apple's outrageous prices.... or buy better PCs at
at least half the price...

...decisions, decisions...

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 2:53:28 AM9/5/12
In article <k26sls$uud$1...@news.albasani.net>,
LOL

No one in the world says that any PC is better than a Mac, Edwin.

Less expensive you can have, but "better"...

Please.

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 2:55:41 AM9/5/12
On 09/04/2012 05:36 PM, Snit wrote:
> On 9/4/12 2:27 PM, in article
> alangbaker-F0D48...@news.shawcable.net, "Alan Baker"
> <alang...@telus.net> wrote:

[...]
> It is about getting rid of choice. 7 believes the only way desktop Linux
> can compete is if the competition is banned - he does not believe desktop
> Linux can compete on merit.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6349

"What is most amazing is we upgraded our computer lab for under half the
cost of what many neighboring schools paid for inferior equipment. Most
of this savings was the result of switching to Linux."

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 3:01:57 AM9/5/12
On 09/05/2012 01:53 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <k26sls$uud$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/04/2012 05:37 PM, Snit wrote:
>>> On 9/4/12 2:43 PM, in article 7Cu1s.456031$UL.2...@fx19.am4, "7"
>>> <email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Let the schools pick what works best for them. Choice.
>>
>> Such tough choices... do we want to pay M$ or pay nothing for FOSS...
>>
>> ... do we want to pay Apple's outrageous prices.... or buy better PCs at
>> at least half the price...
>>
>> ...decisions, decisions...
>
> LOL
>
> No one in the world says that any PC is better than a Mac, Edwin.

You just answered a post were somebody said exactly that.

Most people in the world say Apple's PCs are overpriced and
underpowered. Remember the hilarious article about 2010 calling and
wanting its MacBook back?

> Less expensive you can have, but "better"...

Better in every way , and cheaper too.

> Please.

Begging won't help you, shill.

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 3:03:24 AM9/5/12
In article <k26t1g$vn7$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Wow. A website called "linuxjournal.com" posts an article hyping...

...Linux.

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 3:04:37 AM9/5/12
In article <k26td8$sc$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/2012 01:53 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article <k26sls$uud$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> > Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Such tough choices... do we want to pay M$ or pay nothing for FOSS...
> >>
> >> ... do we want to pay Apple's outrageous prices.... or buy better PCs at
> >> at least half the price...
> >>
> >> ...decisions, decisions...
> >
> > LOL
> >
> > No one in the world says that any PC is better than a Mac, Edwin.
>
> You just answered a post were somebody said exactly that.

I'm sorry. No one who actually knows about these things calls PCs
"better".

> Most people in the world say Apple's PCs are overpriced and
> underpowered. Remember the hilarious article about 2010 calling and
> wanting its MacBook back?
>
> > Less expensive you can have, but "better"...
>
> Better in every way , and cheaper too.

Nope. Sorry. You'll need a cite. Remember that such a cite can't define
"better" as "the same but for less money".

:-)

> > Please.
>
> Begging won't help you, shill.

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 3:04:44 AM9/5/12
On 9/4/12 11:49 PM, in article k26sls$uud$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
Use what works best for your school, business, government agency, etc... and
that includes looking at the costs. Most pick Windows. A smaller number
pick OS X (which makes sense given their higher price). Only a tiny sliver
pick any given Linux distro.

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 3:05:36 AM9/5/12
On 9/4/12 11:55 PM, in article k26t1g$vn7$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
I have set up Linux labs in schools as well... but I do not limit myself to
that. I use whatever will serve the school best. Choice... it is a great
thing.

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 3:26:52 AM9/5/12
On 9/4/12 11:55 PM, in article k26t1g$vn7$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

They currently require students to have laptops... running Linux, OS X, or
Windows... or an iPad. In fact, they speak very highly of the iPad.

<http://www.ghca.com/laptops/requirements.php>

Sadly their technology department seems rather incompetent... the website is
filled with dead links! Also funny how a religious school cannot figure out
how to spell "sacrificial", instead spelling it "sacrifical".

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 3:27:27 AM9/5/12
On 9/5/12 12:01 AM, in article k26td8$sc$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
Wow, you sure want attention!

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:20:50 AM9/5/12
On 09/05/2012 02:03 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <k26t1g$vn7$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/04/2012 05:36 PM, Snit wrote:
>>> On 9/4/12 2:27 PM, in article
>>> alangbaker-F0D48...@news.shawcable.net, "Alan Baker"
>>> <alang...@telus.net> wrote:
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> It is about getting rid of choice. 7 believes the only way desktop Linux
>>> can compete is if the competition is banned - he does not believe desktop
>>> Linux can compete on merit.
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6349
>>
>> "What is most amazing is we upgraded our computer lab for under half the
>> cost of what many neighboring schools paid for inferior equipment. Most
>> of this savings was the result of switching to Linux."
>
> Wow. A website called "linuxjournal.com" posts an article hyping...
>
> ...Linux.

IOW, you just declared all articles from Mac publications that favor the
Mac to be invalid?

The story was a school's account of how Linux saved them money and
improved their computer education department.

Being a lowly Apple shill, all you could do is make a lame attempt to
label it as "hype."

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 4:29:06 AM9/5/12
In article <k27215$ac4$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 09/05/2012 02:03 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article <k26t1g$vn7$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> > Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6349
> >>
> >> "What is most amazing is we upgraded our computer lab for under half the
> >> cost of what many neighboring schools paid for inferior equipment. Most
> >> of this savings was the result of switching to Linux."
> >
> > Wow. A website called "linuxjournal.com" posts an article hyping...
> >
> > ...Linux.
>
> IOW, you just declared all articles from Mac publications that favor the
> Mac to be invalid?

Nope. What I declared was that one does have to understand the
motivations of the presenter...

...and check your facts.

> The story was a school's account of how Linux saved them money and
> improved their computer education department.

It's also a story from 2003...

...not really very current in an industry that changes as fast as this
one. One of those facts you really should have checked.

Have you got anything that says they're still using Linux 9 years later?

> Being a lowly Apple shill, all you could do is make a lame attempt to
> label it as "hype."

LOL

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:29:36 AM9/5/12
On 09/05/2012 02:04 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <k26td8$sc$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/05/2012 01:53 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> LOL
>>>
>>> No one in the world says that any PC is better than a Mac, Edwin.
>>
>> You just answered a post were somebody said exactly that.
>
> I'm sorry. No one who actually knows about these things calls PCs
> "better".

According to an Apple shill. People who actually know something about
computers know that Apple PCs are underpowered, overpriced, and over
hyped, and that far better PCs can be had for half the price or less
than that of an Apple PC.

>> Most people in the world say Apple's PCs are overpriced and
>> underpowered. Remember the hilarious article about 2010 calling and
>> wanting its MacBook back?

No answer, shill?

>>> Less expensive you can have, but "better"...
>>
>> Better in every way , and cheaper too.
>
> Nope. Sorry. You'll need a cite. Remember that such a cite can't define
> "better" as "the same but for less money".

You didn't give any cites. Who are you to tell me what I need to do,
when you don't even do that yourself?

"Better" is "the same but for less money." But PCs do better than that.
PCs are not only better than Macs, they're cheaper too.

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 4:34:38 AM9/5/12
In article <k272hk$b3h$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Proof please...

> >> Most people in the world say Apple's PCs are overpriced and
> >> underpowered. Remember the hilarious article about 2010 calling and
> >> wanting its MacBook back?
>
> No answer, shill?

None was called for.

> >> Better in every way , and cheaper too.
> >
> > Nope. Sorry. You'll need a cite. Remember that such a cite can't define
> > "better" as "the same but for less money".
>
> You didn't give any cites. Who are you to tell me what I need to do,
> when you don't even do that yourself?

LOL

> "Better" is "the same but for less money." But PCs do better than that.
> PCs are not only better than Macs, they're cheaper too.

Not when you say "better and cheaper", or your sentence becomes "the
same for less money and cheaper too", which is obviously nonsense...

...and thus so uniquely you.

:-)

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:34:47 AM9/5/12
On 09/05/2012 03:29 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article <k27215$ac4$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/05/2012 02:03 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> Wow. A website called "linuxjournal.com" posts an article hyping...
>>>
>>> ...Linux.
>>
>> IOW, you just declared all articles from Mac publications that favor the
>> Mac to be invalid?
>
> Nope. What I declared was that one does have to understand the
> motivations of the presenter...

IOW, the motivation of all Mac publications is to hype the Mac,
therefore all of their articles are declared invalid by you.

> ...and check your facts.

Says the shill who has no facts.

>> The story was a school's account of how Linux saved them money and
>> improved their computer education department.
>
> It's also a story from 2003...

Got a story from 2012 about them switching to the Mac? Didn't think so.

> ...not really very current in an industry that changes as fast as this
> one. One of those facts you really should have checked.

You must be drowning... you're grasping at straws...

> Have you got anything that says they're still using Linux 9 years later?

You want something newer to call "hype?"

>> Being a lowly Apple shill, all you could do is make a lame attempt to
>> label it as "hype."
>
> LOL

Lack of denial noted.

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 4:37:11 AM9/5/12
In article <k272ra$brq$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Nope.

> > ...and check your facts.
>
> Says the shill who has no facts.

LOL

> >> The story was a school's account of how Linux saved them money and
> >> improved their computer education department.
> >
> > It's also a story from 2003...
>
> Got a story from 2012 about them switching to the Mac? Didn't think so.

It's a relevant fact, Edwin.

> > ...not really very current in an industry that changes as fast as this
> > one. One of those facts you really should have checked.
>
> You must be drowning... you're grasping at straws...
>
> > Have you got anything that says they're still using Linux 9 years later?
>
> You want something newer to call "hype?"

LOL

> >> Being a lowly Apple shill, all you could do is make a lame attempt to
> >> label it as "hype."
> >
> > LOL
>
> Lack of denial noted.

Sandman

Sep 5, 2012, 4:44:38 AM9/5/12

> >> IOW, you just declared all articles from Mac publications that favor the
> >> Mac to be invalid?
> >
> > Nope. What I declared was that one does have to understand the
> > motivations of the presenter...
>
> IOW, the motivation of all Mac publications is to hype the Mac,

False conclusion. A website called Linux Journal published an article
that "hyped" Linux (according to Alan). That does not mean that the
motive of all Linux-centered websites is to hype Linux. It just means
that the motives of publishing a "Linux-hyping" article is more
natural for a Linux-centered publication/website.

Just as the motives for a Mac-hyping article is more natural in a
Mac-centered publication.

But that doesn't make the motives of the Mac-centered publication to
be "Hyping the Mac".

--
Sandman[.net]

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:44:48 AM9/5/12
Proof? Did you didn't prove anything you said, so why should I prove
anything to you?

>> No answer, shill?
>
> None was called for.

An answer was called for, shill.

>>> Nope. Sorry. You'll need a cite. Remember that such a cite can't define
>>> "better" as "the same but for less money".
>>
>> You didn't give any cites. Who are you to tell me what I need to do,
>> when you don't even do that yourself?
>
> LOL

The shill has no answer.

>> "Better" is "the same but for less money." But PCs do better than that.
>> PCs are not only better than Macs, they're cheaper too.
>
> Not when you say "better and cheaper", or your sentence becomes "the
> same for less money and cheaper too", which is obviously nonsense...

Sure, your conclusion is nonsense. It seems to be based on poor
reading abilities, and irrational thought.

Let's lay it out simply for you:

PCs have BETTER hardware than Macs

and

PCS are also CHEAPER than Macs, in spite of having BETTER hardware.

BETTER and CHEAPER than Macs.

> ...and thus so uniquely you.

No, that's all you, shill.

> :-)

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:47:41 AM9/5/12
That's an articulate argument for a shill.

>>> ...and check your facts.
>>
>> Says the shill who has no facts.
>
> LOL

Lack of argument noted.

>>> It's also a story from 2003...
>>
>> Got a story from 2012 about them switching to the Mac? Didn't think so.
>
> It's a relevant fact, Edwin.

So you have no article about them switching to Macs. Didn't think you
would.

>>> ...not really very current in an industry that changes as fast as this
>>> one. One of those facts you really should have checked.
>>
>> You must be drowning... you're grasping at straws...
>>
>>> Have you got anything that says they're still using Linux 9 years later?
>>
>> You want something newer to call "hype?"
>
> LOL

You run out of words fast, don't you?

>>> LOL
>>
>> Lack of denial noted.
>
> LOL

Another brain fart?

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:50:02 AM9/5/12
Damn, what a load of bullshit!

Yet you have the nerve to be offended at being called "Snit."

LOL

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:55:38 AM9/5/12
On 09/05/2012 02:26 AM, Snit wrote:
> On 9/4/12 11:55 PM, in article k26t1g$vn7$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
> <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/04/2012 05:36 PM, Snit wrote:
>>> On 9/4/12 2:27 PM, in article
>>> alangbaker-F0D48...@news.shawcable.net, "Alan Baker"
>>> <alang...@telus.net> wrote:
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> It is about getting rid of choice. 7 believes the only way desktop Linux
>>> can compete is if the competition is banned - he does not believe desktop
>>> Linux can compete on merit.
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6349
>>
>> "What is most amazing is we upgraded our computer lab for under half the
>> cost of what many neighboring schools paid for inferior equipment. Most
>> of this savings was the result of switching to Linux."
>>
> They currently require students to have laptops... running Linux, OS X, or
> Windows... or an iPad. In fact, they speak very highly of the iPad.
>
> <http://www.ghca.com/laptops/requirements.php>
>
> Sadly their technology department seems rather incompetent... the website is
> filled with dead links! Also funny how a religious school cannot figure out
> how to spell "sacrificial", instead spelling it "sacrifical".

Then you should temper their praise of the iPad against that.

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:57:06 AM9/5/12
On 09/05/2012 02:27 AM, Snit wrote:
> On 9/5/12 12:01 AM, in article k26td8$sc$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
> <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/05/2012 01:53 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

[...]
> Wow, you sure want attention!

Wow, you sure are ironic!

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 4:58:03 AM9/5/12
In article <k2742d$eas$1...@news.albasani.net>,
And if you think that, then you should temper their praise about Linux
with the fact that they basically had to use it because they couldn't
afford anything else.

:-)

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 4:59:20 AM9/5/12

Sandman

Sep 5, 2012, 5:33:48 AM9/5/12
In article <k273ns$d2p$3...@news.albasani.net>,
Snit Jr. <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

<snip trolling>

Whatever you say, Snit.

--
Sandman[.net]

Jack Spratley

Sep 5, 2012, 8:46:00 AM9/5/12

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
you are starting to sound......unhinged - like when you recently
babbled "never known seen the word" - you should give it up - you
sound like a braying ass.

>:-)

yes - never known seen the word

>--
>Anal Baker

Jack Spratley

Sep 5, 2012, 9:10:16 AM9/5/12

"7" wrote in message news:YBt1s.455802$UL.3...@fx19.am4...

>Appile should be actively barred from all schools

agreed - why start out with a second rate OS and computers that are
outdated before you even purchase them.

>Talk about the Baby Duck Syndrome:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Duck_Syndrome

> In human–computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the
> tendency for computer users to "imprint" on the first system they
> learn...

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 11:00:25 AM9/5/12
On 9/5/12 1:20 AM, in article k27215$ac4$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
Well, if you look at the schools website, it seems they are not very
technologically knowledgeable (lots of 403 errors) and they now back OS X,
Windows, and Linux... and seem to almost push the iPad speaking very highly
of it.

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 11:01:23 AM9/5/12
On 9/5/12 1:29 AM, in article k272hk$b3h$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> I'm sorry. No one who actually knows about these things calls PCs
>> "better".
>
> According to an Apple shill. People who actually know something about
> computers know that Apple PCs are underpowered, overpriced, and over
> hyped, and that far better PCs can be had for half the price or less
> than that of an Apple PC.

This is a claim you will *never* back and are making just to get attention.
Let us be very clear about that.

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 11:02:31 AM9/5/12
On 9/5/12 1:44 AM, in article k273e3$d2p$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> Not when you say "better and cheaper", or your sentence becomes "the
>> same for less money and cheaper too", which is obviously nonsense...
>
> Sure, your conclusion is nonsense. It seems to be based on poor
> reading abilities, and irrational thought.
>
> Let's lay it out simply for you:
>
> PCs have BETTER hardware than Macs
>
> and
>
> PCS are also CHEAPER than Macs, in spite of having BETTER hardware.
>
> BETTER and CHEAPER than Macs.

You have already been shown that this is not the case:

Tom's Hardware: <http://tinyurl.com/5haazu>
-----
For the most part, the two systems are comparable, indicating
that at least for a laptop, Apple�s pricing fits in line with
comparable hardware. Certain things like shared memory for
graphics leave some performance desires for the XPS, but the
XPS has a strong leg up on the MacBook Pro with the larger
screen size.
At this point, the Envy is $300 more expensive than the
MacBook Air. Although the Envy 133 does include an external
optical drive, tacking on Apple�s quite expensive $99 MacBook
Air SuperDrive to the purchase of the MacBook Air still
leaves a $200 gap.
The above is essentially a baseline Mac Pro replicated using
the cheapest minimum required components to build. The
difference? A negligible $5.67. Those who claim that they can
build "the same" PC for half the price are at this point
baseless.
-----

Computer World <http://tinyurl.com/l6wjub>
-----
Bottom line: Assuming that you want a high-end notebook PC
designed to work, play and be your everyday machine with
style, the MacBook Pro is a surprisingly good value. The
models that I compared it with, the Sony and the Dell, had
some extras here and there, but they were also more
expensive. The key to the perception that Macs are more
expensive is that Apple offers very few in-between models.
In the midrange, where lower-cost 13-in. LCD MacBook models
occupy price ranges from about $1,100 to $1,500, you may be
equally surprised. Apple's recently updated MacBooks (see the
technical specs) more than hold their own on
price/performance comparisons with other 12- and 13-in. LCD
computers from Sony, Toshiba and HP.
Bottom line: When you configure low-end and midrange
notebooks and desktops, you'll find that except at the very
bottom of the heap, Windows machines are roughly comparable
in price to Macs. There are fewer Mac models, so if your
needs vary from what Apple has decided on, you may find a
Windows model that costs less for you. But Apple's choices
make a lot of sense for most people, and when you do the
point-by-point comparison, Apple is actually a better value
for some needs.
-----

In other words, you are knowingly lying.

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 11:04:00 AM9/5/12
On 9/5/12 1:55 AM, in article k2742d$eas$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
Good to see you miss the point - while they still back Linux, it is not so
exclusive any more. They found that *choice* for students was a better
solution.

But, yeah, they also seem a bit incompetent, at least in the area of
technology.

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 11:38:37 AM9/5/12
On 9/4/2012 5:33 PM, Snit wrote:
> On 9/4/12 1:35 PM, in article YBt1s.455802$UL.3...@fx19.am4, "7"
> <email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:
>
>> Talk about the Baby Duck Syndrome:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Duck_Syndrome
>>
>> In human�computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the
>> tendency for computer users to "imprint" on the first system they
>> learn...
>
> This is why I am happy that I started learning Mac, DOS, and Unix literally
> all on the same day.

The best part was how the lack of consistency between those confused you
and reduced your productivity?

> But this is also not a reason for schools, or anyone, to not use the best
> tool for the job. I find your anti-choice stance to be absurd.

Does that mean you're recanting your earlier claims every Linux
distribution is a different OS? You've decided you were wrong about
there being too many desktops and fragmentation? Linux is now a choice
of a single thing?

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 11:51:19 AM9/5/12
On 9/5/12 8:38 AM, in article k27rm1$rs$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 9/4/2012 5:33 PM, Snit wrote:
>> On 9/4/12 1:35 PM, in article YBt1s.455802$UL.3...@fx19.am4, "7"
>> <email_at_www_at_en...@enemygadgets.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Talk about the Baby Duck Syndrome:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Duck_Syndrome
>>>
>>> In human�computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the
>>> tendency for computer users to "imprint" on the first system they
>>> learn...
>>
>> This is why I am happy that I started learning Mac, DOS, and Unix literally
>> all on the same day.
>
> The best part was how the lack of consistency between those confused you
> and reduced your productivity?

How do you figure?

>> But this is also not a reason for schools, or anyone, to not use the best
>> tool for the job. I find your anti-choice stance to be absurd.
>
> Does that mean you're recanting your earlier claims every Linux
> distribution is a different OS?

What?

> You've decided you were wrong about there being too many desktops and
> fragmentation?

When did I say there were too many distros?

> Linux is now a choice of a single thing?

What makes you think that?

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 12:09:41 PM9/5/12
On 9/5/2012 10:01 AM, Snit wrote:
> On 9/5/12 1:29 AM, in article k272hk$b3h$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
> <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry. No one who actually knows about these things calls PCs
>>> "better".
>>
>> According to an Apple shill. People who actually know something about
>> computers know that Apple PCs are underpowered, overpriced, and over
>> hyped, and that far better PCs can be had for half the price or less
>> than that of an Apple PC.
>
> This is a claim you will *never* back and are making just to get attention.
> Let us be very clear about that.

I see you're lying again. You answered the post in which I backed my
claim. It's in this thread!

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 1:52:15 PM9/5/12
In article <k2749a$eas$3...@news.albasani.net>,
'By purchasing bare-bones computer "kits", we were able to save
considerable money on the hardware.'

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 3:11:25 PM9/5/12
Fantastic! There's something you'll never be able to do when buying new
Macs.

Alan Baker

Sep 5, 2012, 3:12:23 PM9/5/12
In article <k2884v$qh4$4...@news.albasani.net>,

> >> "What is most amazing is we upgraded our computer lab for under half the
> >> cost of what many neighboring schools paid for inferior equipment. Most
> >> of this savings was the result of switching to Linux."
> >

> > 'By purchasing bare-bones computer "kits", we were able to save
> > considerable money on the hardware.'
>
> Fantastic! There's something you'll never be able to do when buying new
> Macs.

Yup.

But it adds a cost that I'm betting wasn't included in describing what
they actually paid: time to assemble them.

Snit

Sep 5, 2012, 3:23:29 PM9/5/12
On 9/5/12 12:11 PM, in article k2884v$qh4$4...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> 'By purchasing bare-bones computer "kits", we were able to save
>> considerable money on the hardware.'
>
> Fantastic! There's something you'll never be able to do when buying new
> Macs.

Did someone suggest otherwise? Or are you just sharing information that
excites you?

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 3:25:53 PM9/5/12
On 9/5/2012 2:12 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> 'By purchasing bare-bones computer "kits", we were able to save
>>> considerable money on the hardware.'
>>
>> Fantastic! There's something you'll never be able to do when buying new
>> Macs.
>
> Yup.
>
> But it adds a cost that I'm betting wasn't included in describing what
> they actually paid: time to assemble them.

Who are you betting with? How do you intend to win your bet?

Nobody

Sep 5, 2012, 3:41:45 PM9/5/12
On 9/5/2012 2:23 PM, Snit wrote:
> On 9/5/12 12:11 PM, in article k2884v$qh4$4...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
> <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>> 'By purchasing bare-bones computer "kits", we were able to save
>>> considerable money on the hardware.'
>>
>> Fantastic! There's something you'll never be able to do when buying new
>> Macs.
>
> Did someone suggest otherwise?

You tell me.

> Or are you just sharing information that
> excites you?

Yes indeed! Don't buy from Apple, BYO and save, save, save!!!

Justin

Sep 5, 2012, 6:59:40 PM9/5/12
On 9/4/12 4:35 PM, 7 wrote:
> Appile should be actively barred from all schools
>
> Baby Duck Syndrome suffering Appile only graduates are just
> plain losers when it comes to dealing with wider software
> and hardware that may be given to them to work with in the
> wider world. More reasons to chuck out Appile products
> from the classroom and concentrate on open source and Linux
> which are immensely flexible, free and full of diversity.
>
> http://www.distrowatch.com
> http://www.livecdlist.com

Considering the state of the American education system, Operating
Systems are the least of their problems.
While the Japs are celebrating their 8th birthday and learning Calculus,
American kids are eating cake and playing Dodgeball. While the Koreans
are learning trig, the Americans are reading "Heather has two Dads."
Yeah, I'm sure Linux will solve all of those problems.

Foster

Sep 5, 2012, 7:05:07 PM9/5/12
Japs?
You racist you :)