tim smith the not so secret winTROLL

1 view

Daeron

Jan 17, 2004, 9:38:03 AM1/17/04
Watch out for him. Now that him and his fellow trolls have totally
trashed COLA I see he has moved in here. Spouting the same
dissemination and half truths. Notice how he always gives MICROS~1 the
benefit of the doubt.

Why would a professed Linux advocate hang round a Linux advocacy group
trashing other posters for posting pro Linux articles. It just don't
make sense.

Dan

Jan 17, 2004, 12:53:36 PM1/17/04
In article <da46811d.04011...@posting.google.com>,
doug_m...@yahoo.co.uk (Daeron) wrote:

> Watch out for him. Now that him and his fellow trolls have totally
> trashed COLA I see he has moved in here. Spouting the same
> dissemination and half truths. Notice how he always gives MICROS~1 the
> benefit of the doubt.

Umm, what is "MICROS~1"?

Dan

Tim Smith

Jan 17, 2004, 1:01:13 PM1/17/04
Ahh, Daeron. He's upset because I don't like his COLA postings, which
mostly consist of simply reposting stories from online magazines and
newspapers--often ancient stories 3 or 4 years old. If he were a Mac
advocate, his "advocacy" would consist of posting articles comparing System
7 to Windows 3 as proof that OS X is better than XP. He's one of those
"advocates" that you wish would switch sides, so he could make the other
platform look bad by advocating it, instead of yours.

He is sometimes amusing--like when he decided that Erik Funkenbusch and I
were actually the same person. Considering that I've got 19 years of Google
history, and Erik has about 12, that was interesting--it would mean that 12
years ago, I hatched my plan, created the Erik identity, became active in
several groups that the Tim identity kept away from, and then finally
brought the identities to the same group to deal with a third rate troll
like Daeron.

--
--Tim Smith

Daeron

Jan 17, 2004, 5:13:26 PM1/17/04
Tim Smith wrote:

> Ahh, Daeron. He's upset because I don't like his COLA postings ...

I had stopped posting to COLA because of the troll infestation. It was
smiths' reference to "daeron" that caught my eye. For someone who has me
in his kill file he do seemed obsessed with me.

'smith' only objects to pro Linux articles posted on COLA. He professes
to have me kill filed yet he still finds the posting of such articles
objectionable. Surely he can't even *see* these off topic articles ?

On the other hand he ignores the tons of off topic posts by the trolls.
Indeed he regularly jumps in the give them a hand with some distraction fud.

> He is sometimes amusing--like when he decided that Erik Funkenbusch
> and I were actually the same person. Considering that I've got 19
> years of Google

His posting style is so similar that I did once accuse him of being the
same person. Why would a professed Linux advocate sound so much like a
professional windows troll ?

I once asked you when you have ever critised Erik. You never did reply.
SO I ask you here again produce the citations or retract that statement.

Before fuddie, as he is affectionatly known, discovered COLA he hung out
on the OS/2 group helping people understand its demise was because of OS
inferiority and not because of sabotage by the Microsoft corporation.

He really wanted OS/2 to be better. He said the same about Linux. He
really wants it to be better. This is the kind of people 'smith' & Co
works to defend.

This is him yet again running interference for Erik Funkenbusch one of
the most notorious Microsoft trolls on UseNet.

"I've taken that anti-Erik side as much as most other regulars here,
except I stick to technical issues, so actually have a chance of winning
the argument, instead of just looking like a pro-Linux troll."
Tim Smith Mar 04 2003

That was in march of last year. I ask you now again. Show us where you
have ever criticized Erik Funkenbusch.

ps: MAc advocates: notice how he equate being pro Linux on COLA with
being a troll. Watch out any of you saying good things about Apple you
might end up being painted a mac troll by 'smith'.

Jim Polaski

Jan 17, 2004, 7:44:13 PM1/17/04
In article <JLeOb.14552$zj7....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

You've been around the net since 1985,oh my.
--
Bob

Tim Smith

Jan 18, 2004, 12:20:20 AM1/18/04
In article <rj-B213E0.18...@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski
wrote:

> You've been around the net since 1985,oh my.

1984, actually. The earliest for me in Google is this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=121%40callan.UUCP&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

posted Feb 28, 1984, so I suppose I should be rounding up and saying "20
years". :-)

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jan 18, 2004, 12:22:44 AM1/18/04
In article <bucc2e$gbqvp$1...@ID-168140.news.uni-berlin.de>, Daeron wrote:
> That was in march of last year. I ask you now again. Show us where you
> have ever criticized Erik Funkenbusch.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=kPidnbJcd4aMy1OjXTWcpg%40speakeasy.net

Of course, you'll just handwave it away again like you did back then, saying
it isn't good enough. Because I actually address Erik's errors, and refute
them with reason, rather than with insane rantings like you would like, they
don't count.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jan 18, 2004, 12:25:22 AM1/18/04
In article <da46811d.04011...@posting.google.com>, Daeron wrote:
> Watch out for him. Now that him and his fellow trolls have totally trashed
> COLA I see he has moved in here. Spouting the same

You have an interesting definition of "moved in here", since I've been
posting fairly regularly in comp.sys.mac.advocacy since 1994.

--
--Tim Smith

Daeron

Jan 18, 2004, 3:05:15 PM1/18/04
Tim Smith wrote:

This is you fudding a discussion on the onerous and restrictive EULA
license every OEM manufacturer has to sign with the borg. Notice how you
don't address the issue and attempt to bend the discussion away from the
sore points.

<quote>
'An online group is seeking refunds from Microsoft for
unused and unwanted copies of Windows that shipped
with their PCs. The group, referring to the unwanted
operating system as a "Microsoft tax"' Jim Polaski Jan 21 1999

'Most companies don't just preload Windows, you know. Otherwise, this
might go far beyond Windows. E.g., If I buy an iMac, can I get Apple
...' tim smith Jan 26 1999
msg: <78l0ee$on6$1...@52-a-usw.rb1.blv.nwnexus.net>#1/1
<unquote>

This is known in the business as a strawman argument. eg you fail to
address a real situation and then prosecute against an imaginary
situation. I have picked just one thread here as an example but it
illustrates precisely what I am on about. Time and again you jump in and
basically disrupt the thread usually when you know who is being criticised.

See here for another example. The man is talking about deliberate
sabotage code being introduced. Yet you proceed to respond as if it was
a mere technical point.

<quote>
'The FTC has brought charges against MicroSoft for forming a OS trust by
not providing all feature documentation for its OSes to developers
outside MS and designing its Windows and DOS apps to fail under OS/2
("Undocumented Windows") and

"There is deliberate code in [Windows] NT Beta which causes the install
to abort if OS/2 Boot Manager is present"

GRUBB Jan 18 1993
msg: <1993Jan18....@nmsu.edu>

'OS/2 deals with that. There are actually *two* ways to run DOS
programs under OS/2. The best way, which works for most programs, is to
let OS/2 emulate DOS. The DOS program runs in V86 mode, and whenever it
makes any DOS or BIOS call, OS/2 handles it.'

Tim Smith Jan 19 1993
<unquote>

<quick mac readers look over here and be amazed with my technical
knowlege and don't bother your silly heads with all this politicking.
Leave that to the grown ups.>

You have been trolling for a long time haven't you.

I wouldn't have noticed but you keep knocking Linux advocates on COLA
for posting Linux advocacy articles. Strange that ??

Tim Smith

Jan 18, 2004, 9:26:49 PM1/18/04
In article <bueou0$h3cvq$1...@ID-168140.news.uni-berlin.de>, Daeron wrote:
> See here for another example. The man is talking about deliberate
> sabotage code being introduced. Yet you proceed to respond as if it was
> a mere technical point.

Here we see typical Daeron debating technique: take a quote, chop out
important context, and format it in an almost unreadable way and hope no one
notices the misleading editing.

><quote>
> 'The FTC has brought charges against MicroSoft for forming a OS trust by
> not providing all feature documentation for its OSes to developers
> outside MS and designing its Windows and DOS apps to fail under OS/2
> ("Undocumented Windows") and
>
> "There is deliberate code in [Windows] NT Beta which causes the install
> to abort if OS/2 Boot Manager is present"
>
> GRUBB Jan 18 1993
> msg: <1993Jan18....@nmsu.edu>

Full post here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl2748590182d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=1993Jan18.150314.3826%40nmsu.edu

The discussion was about running DOS programs under OS/2. I had just said
that OS/2 provides almost perfect DOS compatibility. GRUBB is worried that
Microsoft might be able to break OS/2's DOS compatibility.

I then point out that OS/2's DOS handling is so good that it is likely that
it will still work.

> 'OS/2 deals with that. There are actually *two* ways to run DOS
> programs under OS/2. The best way, which works for most programs, is to
> let OS/2 emulate DOS. The DOS program runs in V86 mode, and whenever it
> makes any DOS or BIOS call, OS/2 handles it.'

Full post here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl2748590182d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=1jfo63INNmbo%40shelley.u.washington.edu

Only Daeron would find that a post praising OS/2 is pro-MS FUD.

> I wouldn't have noticed but you keep knocking Linux advocates on COLA
> for posting Linux advocacy articles. Strange that ??

Your error is the assumption that you are a Linux advocate. Your entire
purpose in COLA was to disrupt the group.

--
--Tim Smith

Daeron

Jan 20, 2004, 3:30:46 PM1/20/04
Tim Smith wrote:

<snip>

> Here we see typical Daeron debating technique: take a quote, chop out
> important context, and format it in an almost unreadable way and
> hope no one notices the misleading editing.

Typical troll debating technique. Accuse the other of what you are
guilty off. I havn't studied your posts enough to discover if you
personally engage in it. But I do know it is used extensivly by fuddie
Funkenbusch.

It's ironic that fuddie used to engage in just that, the creative chop
whilst accusing the Op of doing just that. I believe I brought it up on
COLA a number of times. Where have you ever mentioned this before on COLA ?

".. I'm frequently criticized for how little I snip .."
-- Erik Funkenbusch Apr 25 2003

".. Do you mind providing a link ? .."
-- Daeron Apr 25 2003

"Look for it yourself .." -- Erik Funkenbusch Apr 25 -2003

You use words to confound and confuse people. By removing the detritus I
was exposing the fud. Jumping in in the middle of a thread and not
addressing the salient issue is not an ethetical debating tactic. Is it
? You're looking more desperate all the time. But carry on tellings us
your a Linux/Mac advocate.

> Your error is the assumption that you are a Linux advocate. Your
> entire purpose in COLA was to disrupt the group.

Explain to the readers what flatfish, Simon Cooke and Erik Funkenbusch
are about. Are you seriously purporting that their postings are anything
else but troll attempts. Go on tell us.

You couldn't have better illustrated the point I was making. That you
equate what I do with disruption and what the below posters do with
legitimate advocacy can only mean one thing. That you are a not so
secret Windows TRoll. We can take it you are happy with the likes of the
below infesting COLA. As I can't find you criticizing the postors
mentioned here - ever.

A> the Kadaitcha child: *#%

"Because, you stupid brain-dead fuckstain, usenet is public. If you
don't want to see off-topic posts, just fucking well get out of the alt.
hierachy and creat yourself a moderated group, you stupid fucking cunt."

- Kadaitcha Man Jul 2002 msg: <ag572l$m04$0...@pita.alt.net>

248 cunts, 493 shits 651 fucks etc .. to be taken into consideration

B> flatfish aka flatfish+++ aka Peggy Wanka aka Gunnar Flinch aka
Harvey Gluck aka Otto Frick etc

<quote>
Hi, flatty. You sure like to hang out in that IP region:

Sinister Midget fake 24.166.163.199
cybear fake 24.166.163.199
T.Relyea fake 24.169.75.198
mad amoeba 24.188.25.84
flatfish+++ 24.190.102.21
anonymous 24.190.106.231
flatf...@mariana.trench 24.190.107.9
Mo...@penny.org 24.190.107.9
nate_m...@yahoo.com 24.190.107.54
kathy_...@hotmail.org 24.190.107.54
gill...@maryann.net 24.190.107.85
allison_...@yahoo.com 24.191.209.79
Your Name 24.228.25.17
Peggy Wanka 24.232.231.26
<unquote>

- Linønut Aug 26 2003
msg: <hY-dnZY9Uo5...@comcast.com>

- 'Harvey Gluck' Aug 10 2003
msg: <2e0ca35d.03081...@posting.google.com>

- 'Gunnar' Apr 28 2003
msg: <cfa05103.03042...@posting.google.com>

C> Simon Cooke aka Milo T.:

This is Simon Cooke engaged in typical 'linux advocacy' he equates Linux
enthusiasts with the 9/11 terrorists. When asked to apologise he takes
the opportunity to deride the death in the family of another poster. The
behaviour pattern of a sewer rat. Funnily enough he didn't always
believe that it was acceptable to equate software producers with
terrorists. But then again it did refer to Microsoft that time.

"The Windows using persons that frequent this Linux oriented forum (I
know, doesn't make sense to me either) like to refer to the steadfast
advocates in this group as "zealots".

It's funny, since they throw this term around as if it were derogatory.
On the contrary, they are stating that users of Linux are very
enthusiastic about their platform and its applications.

Is this a bad thing? Is being fired up about something that you really
like and endorse suddenly to be looked down upon?"
- rapskat Mar 03 2003
msg: <pan.2003.03.04....@hotmail.com>

"Consider the roots of "enthusiasm" which I believe is from the ancient
Greek "en theos" (?) which means to be among the gods."
- Rapskat MAr 04 2003

"Enthusiast != Zealot. Just FYI. Hobbyist computer maker in the 70s:
Enthusiast. People who ran planes into the World Trade Center on 9-11:
Zealot. Learn the difference."
- Simon Cooke Mar 04 2003
msg: <tu69a.2530$gF3.2...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>

"Rapskat was wrong to happily accept the term 'zealot'. He could have
denied it, and called himself an enthusiast, or a fan, but he didn't.

This is what Zealot means: Someone who is blinded by a religious fervor.
Suicide bombers are indeed zealots -- in the purest sense of the word."
Simon Cooke Mar 06 2003
- msg: <txz9a.4763$gF3.5...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>

"Sinister Midget wrote:
> He is now given one more opportunity to salvage himself.
>
> Simon, suicde would be the only honorable thing to do under such
> circumstances. If you really are remorseful, commit it.

Sure. Just after your brother does...

Oh, sorry... he's already dead."
- Simon Cooke Apr 20 2003
msg: <4rJoa.34996$4P1.3...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>

"Seems to me that in this newsgroup it is acceptable to be anonymous
only if one is anti-Microsoft, and a Java Zealot."
- Simon Cooke Mar 31 2002
msg: <d7Op8.5588$nt1.5...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>

"No, it's an example of my disgust at someone who willingly compares
Microsoft with a massive terrorist attack." Simon Cooke Aug 06 2002
msg: <p1X39.2647$2k.1...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>

D> Erik Funkenbusch:
See these samples of over fifteen thousand posts since 1995

"And as I've said a million times, there is no indication that MS
"Ignored" the security threat .. In fact, it's irresponsible to give
out information on this kind of bug when you don't have a fix yet"
- Erik Funkenbusch Mar 19 1997

"I don't know about security incidents, but let me relate an incident
that happened to me.

One of my clients is a CNC company, and we've been working on a Linux
based CNC with Windows clients. During a company meeting, someone
mentioned the Linux test CNC we have on the network and the IT manager
immediately freaked
out."
- Erik Funkenbusch Nov 18 2002

"If they really wanted to astroturf, they'd do so in technical and help
forums, rather than the sludgepits of usenet"
- Erik Funkenbusch Apr 19 2003
msg: <20030419193140...@despam-funkenbusch.com>

" I'm an amiga person through and through, have been since 89"
- Erik Funkenbusch Sep 22 195
msg: <43u5tl$d...@stratus.skypoint.net>#1/1

"Can someone remind me... did Erik Funkenbu$h used to be a real advocate
and then a troll stole his name, or was he always a troll"
- Geo...@Metesky.us July 1 2003
msg: <865563f50c4ce0a1...@free.teranews.com>

Before Erik discovered Linux he was about helping OS/2.

"I like OS/2, I always have",
- Erik Funkenbusch 1997/12/03
msg: <665156$9...@usenet45.supernews.com>#1/1

Once it was dead and buried he moved on to Linux.

"Believe it or not, I really do want to like Linux. I really do. There
are just certain issues standing in my way of doing that",
- Erik Funkenbusch, Jan 30 2003
msg: <_w3_9.85575$rM2.46054@rwcrnsc53>

See also msg: <bb2lrv$50i9e$1...@ID-168140.news.dfncis.de>
See also msg: <tdlh6v8kh0pk48f96...@4ax.com>

Tim Smith

Jan 24, 2004, 2:52:17 PM1/24/04
In article <buk35r$irb09$1...@ID-168140.news.uni-berlin.de>, Daeron wrote:
> You use words to confound and confuse people.

It seems to work in your case--you are evidently very confused.

--
--Tim Smith