New Marketshare Numbers - OSX 7.57% / Linux 0.67%

1 view

Oxford

Feb 1, 2008, 3:16:46 PM2/1/08
New, true Marketshare Numbers are in... and it appears even the iPhone
will surpass Linux share in the next 16 months.

Wow! the hugely successful iPhone will totally eclipse the Linux
installed "user base" in less than 16 months, no wonder Linus has given
up!

Congrats to people that still want QUALITY in their lives!

---

As of Feb 1st:

Windows 91.46%
Mac 7.57%
Linux 0.67%
iPhone 0.13%
Playstation 0.03%
SunOS 0.01%

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

-

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 1, 2008, 3:20:45 PM2/1/08

Nice to see the Mac climbing.
It's truly a professional platform with professional programs.

Get ready for the Linux loonies to attack everything in this post though.
The one thing they have not been able to explain is the extremely low Linux
share and it doesn't matter where you look.
The w3schools site (I forget the exact URL) shows similar numbers as does
just about every study one can find.

Except of course here in COLA and on various Linux shill sites where Linux
is taking over the desktop.

Sooner or later they will realize Linux just can't compete on the desktop
and stick to servers and embedded devices which is a great place for Linux.

Linonut

Feb 1, 2008, 4:28:22 PM2/1/08
* Oxford peremptorily fired off this memo:

> New, true Marketshare Numbers are in... and it appears even the iPhone
> will surpass Linux share in the next 16 months.

Those are true market-share numbers.

> Wow! the hugely successful iPhone will totally eclipse the Linux
> installed "user base" in less than 16 months, no wonder Linus has given
> up!

Idiot.

> Congrats to people that still want QUALITY in their lives!

Obviously a small minority <grin>.

> As of Feb 1st:
>
> Windows 91.46%
> Mac 7.57%
> Linux 0.67%
> iPhone 0.13%
> Playstation 0.03%
> SunOS 0.01%
>
> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

For 2007:

Windows 92.91%
Mac 6.40%
Linux 0.46%
iPhone 0.04%

For 2008:

Windows 91.46%
Mac 7.57%
Linux 0.67%
iPhone 0.13%

Difference (percent of percent):

Windows -1.56%
Mac +18.28%
Linux +45.64%
iPhone +225.00%

So, if you're foolish enough to trust figures that can vary on order of
magnitude on the low end (e.g. 0.6% to 6.0%), it looks to me like Linux
is benefitting quite well.

As for the iPhone numbers, well, that's cool. But, somehow, I doubt the
Linux numbers reflect the Linux-based phones and PDAs in service right
now.

By the way, I'm happy to see the Mac increase as well. The enemy of my
enemy is my friend, as Niccolo might say.

--
The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily
comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous.

Rick

Feb 1, 2008, 4:18:56 PM2/1/08
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:16:46 -0700, Oxford wrote:

> New, true Marketshare Numbers are in... and it appears even the iPhone
> will surpass Linux share in the next 16 months.

Keep this in CSMA, Oxford.

--
Rick

MuahMan

Feb 1, 2008, 6:20:55 PM2/1/08

"Oxford" <a...@bbv.org> wrote in message

They still manufacture iPhones?I thought they quit making them. I haven't
heard anything about them in months.

7

Feb 2, 2008, 1:25:05 AM2/2/08
Appil Corporation Fraudulent Asstroturfer Oxford wrote on behalf of Appil
Corporation:

BWWAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

This is just complete quackery!

There are no approved ways of measuring Linux!

If so, please demonstrate!

Linux is distributed not sold.

One possible way to measure it that is at least independently
verifiable is to count press releases. The rate is
something like 1 million to 2 million Desktop Linux per month
and it is increasing.
Embedded Linux sells 1 million Embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

All free with source code here

http://www.livecdlist.com
http://www.distrowatch.com

And superior technology too..
http://www.youtube.com search for beryl and compiz and see
videos of why free Linux is superior to overpriced appil crap.

Matt

Feb 2, 2008, 11:15:57 AM2/2/08
Linonut wrote:
> * Oxford peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> New, true Marketshare Numbers are in... and it appears even the iPhone
>> will surpass Linux share in the next 16 months.
>
> Those are true market-share numbers.

I think you meant, "Those are not true market-share numbers."

Linonut

Feb 2, 2008, 1:07:25 PM2/2/08
* Matt peremptorily fired off this memo:

You have just witnessed a Linonut brain-fart. <phew!>

--
There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But
there's no one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.[3]

John Slade

Feb 2, 2008, 2:19:52 PM2/2/08

"Moshe Goldfarb" <brick....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:16:46 -0700, Oxford wrote:
>
>> New, true Marketshare Numbers are in... and it appears even the iPhone
>> will surpass Linux share in the next 16 months.
>>
>> Wow! the hugely successful iPhone will totally eclipse the Linux
>> installed "user base" in less than 16 months, no wonder Linus has given
>> up!
>>
>> Congrats to people that still want QUALITY in their lives!
>>
>> ---
>>
>> As of Feb 1st:
>>
>> Windows 91.46%
>> Mac 7.57%
>> Linux 0.67%
>> iPhone 0.13%
>> Playstation 0.03%
>> SunOS 0.01%
>>
>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
>
> Nice to see the Mac climbing.
> It's truly a professional platform with professional programs.
>
> Get ready for the Linux loonies to attack everything in this post though.

I wonder how the Mac Kook Zealot loonies would react if I brag about
Microsoft's massive numbers. Oh wait, I thought Mac users have said that
numbers don't matter since they aren't near as big as Microsoft. LOL My my
my, how things change.

John

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 2, 2008, 2:27:25 PM2/2/08

Microsft currently owns the market and it's not even close.
Like it or not, that's the way it is and the Mac people realize this for
the most part.
I don't see Mac users spamming their own groups with 1000's of messages a
month.
I also don't see them suggesting insane useage figures on a regular basis.
The Mac market is growing.
The Linux market has flat lined and it has been like that for years.

Snit

Feb 2, 2008, 2:37:50 PM2/2/08
"John Slade" <sa...@candyman.com> stated in post
kn3pj.54058$Pv2....@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net on 2/2/08 12:19 PM:

To a certain extent market share and use base matter... but only to a
certain extent. It does not matter to the general user how many others use
the platform they do, but it does matter to developers... and that effects
users.

--
Is Swiss cheese made out of hole milk?

Lefty Bigfoot

Feb 2, 2008, 3:59:29 PM2/2/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:27:25 -0600, Moshe Goldfarb wrote
(in article <1juathmd45o96$.1ha7guixoz9mm$.d...@40tude.net>):

More importantly, apart from a few children in this group, most
Mac users don't care what Microsoft does or doesn't do, or what
the relative market shares are. They want their computers to
work, and that's the goal. Not converting people to yet another
flavor or religion.

--
Lefty
All of God's creatures have a place..........

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 2, 2008, 4:03:33 PM2/2/08
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 20:59:29 GMT, Lefty Bigfoot wrote:

> More importantly, apart from a few children in this group, most
> Mac users don't care what Microsoft does or doesn't do, or what
> the relative market shares are. They want their computers to
> work, and that's the goal. Not converting people to yet another
> flavor or religion.

Pretty much true.
Mac users tend to be very applications and results oriented and for the
most part are not operating system tinkerers.
Linux users tend to focus on the operating system, compiling kernels,
installing the latest themes (so they can look like Vista and OSX machines)
and of course installing the distribution of the week.
Linux users tend to stay far from applications, for obvious reasons.
Windows users are somewhere in between.

tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com

Feb 2, 2008, 4:30:38 PM2/2/08
Oxford <a...@bbv.org> wrote:
> New, true Marketshare Numbers are in... and it appears even the iPhone
> will surpass Linux share in the next 16 months.

Only true if Linux share does not change during that time.
Using the historical data from the exact web site you reference,
we see that Linux has increased its share from 0.35 to 0.67 in
the past year (almost doubled). Even assuming a linear
progression, your prediction is bunk.

Thad
all the ingredients on the label.

Rick

Feb 2, 2008, 6:04:32 PM2/2/08

It matters a great deal to the general user how many others use the
platform they do. They want to use what everyone else uses.

--
Rick

Tim Murray

Feb 2, 2008, 6:33:09 PM2/2/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 01:25:05 -0500, 7 wrote:
> The rate is something like 1 million to 2 million Desktop Linux
> per month and it is increasing.

Downloads, maybe, but not installs. The population of the U.S. is about 302
million, so in 150 days, every person in the U.S. has Linux. Hell, I bought
Red Hat in a retail box ... and it's still in the box.

Tim Murray

Feb 2, 2008, 6:34:42 PM2/2/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 01:25:05 -0500, 7 wrote:
> One possible way to measure it that is at least independently verifiable
> is to count press releases. The rate is something like 1 million to 2
> million Desktop Linux per month and it is increasing.

Ohhh, wait, you said PRESS RELEASES. So the Linux world puts out a couple
million press releases a month? Sheesh. No wonder the world considers
keeping track of distros to be a burden!

RonB

Feb 2, 2008, 6:37:06 PM2/2/08
Tim Murray wrote:

> Downloads, maybe, but not installs. The population of the U.S. is about
> 302 million, so in 150 days, every person in the U.S. has Linux. Hell, I
> bought Red Hat in a retail box ... and it's still in the box.

Yep, Linux is no problem for Microsoft at all. So, unlike Microsoft
Corporation, just ignore Linux and go back your Microsoft Advocacy
newsgroup, or Mac group... or whatever.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 2, 2008, 6:41:20 PM2/2/08

Mine is in the trash can.....

Tim Murray

Feb 2, 2008, 6:41:38 PM2/2/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:04:32 -0500, Rick wrote:

> It matters a great deal to the general user how many others use the
> platform they do. They want to use what everyone else uses.

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to use: The platform everyone on the office
floor is bitching about for crashing, being slow, can't print, programs won't
quit....

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 2, 2008, 6:42:30 PM2/2/08

And now we know why Linux runs on super computers.
They NEED a super computer to keep track of how many Linux distributions
are released per month.

Snit

Feb 2, 2008, 6:45:22 PM2/2/08
"Rick" <no...@nomail.com> stated in post 13q9to0...@news.supernews.com
on 2/2/08 4:04 PM:

>>> Microsoft's massive numbers. Oh wait, I thought Mac users have said
>>> that numbers don't matter since they aren't near as big as Microsoft.
>>> LOL My my my, how things change.
>>
>> To a certain extent market share and use base matter... but only to a
>> certain extent. It does not matter to the general user how many others
>> use the platform they do, but it does matter to developers... and that
>> effects users.
>
> It matters a great deal to the general user how many others use the
> platform they do. They want to use what everyone else uses.

Define "general user".

--
Picture of a tuna soda: http://snipurl.com/f351
Feel free to ask for the recipe.

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 2, 2008, 6:55:13 PM2/2/08

Oh it's a problem for Microsoft alright, but not in the way you might
think.

The problem Microsoft has is in dealing with the bottom feeders, lusers and
Linux zealots who SPAm the Internet daily with their tripe, much of which
is unsubstantiated and totally false.

This is going to end shortly however as Microsoft, Novell, Xandros,
LinSpire and others band together and track these libel/slandering worms
down.

Some are easy to find.

Roy Schestowitz for example.

Roy Schestowitz can be located right here, hiding behind a toilet stall.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/

The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK | Tel:
+44 (0) 161 306 6000

Others are a little more difficult, but not impossible.

Linonut

Feb 2, 2008, 8:24:46 PM2/2/08
* Tim Murray peremptorily fired off this memo:

Linux and Mac offer two ways out of that purgatory (except you never
quite get purged <grin>).

--
Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city is
cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do.

Snit

Feb 3, 2008, 3:50:24 PM2/3/08
"Rick" <no...@nomail.com> stated in post 13q9to0...@news.supernews.com
on 2/2/08 4:04 PM:

>>> Microsoft's massive numbers. Oh wait, I thought Mac users have said

>>> that numbers don't matter since they aren't near as big as Microsoft.
>>> LOL My my my, how things change.
>>
>> To a certain extent market share and use base matter... but only to a
>> certain extent. It does not matter to the general user how many others
>> use the platform they do, but it does matter to developers... and that
>> effects users.
>
> It matters a great deal to the general user how many others use the
> platform they do. They want to use what everyone else uses.

Define "general user".

Moshe Goldfarb

Feb 3, 2008, 3:57:44 PM2/3/08
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:50:24 -0700, Snit wrote:

> "Rick" <no...@nomail.com> stated in post 13q9to0...@news.supernews.com
> on 2/2/08 4:04 PM:

>>> To a certain extent market share and use base matter... but only to a
>>> certain extent. It does not matter to the general user how many others
>>> use the platform they do, but it does matter to developers... and that
>>> effects users.
>>
>> It matters a great deal to the general user how many others use the
>> platform they do. They want to use what everyone else uses.
>
> Define "general user".

He's General Failure's cousin.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Snit

Feb 3, 2008, 4:05:49 PM2/3/08
"Moshe Goldfarb" <brick....@gmail.com> stated in post
1vzpbejjs6xvc$.1340wxfq...@40tude.net on 2/3/08 1:57 PM:

> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:50:24 -0700, Snit wrote:
>
>> "Rick" <no...@nomail.com> stated in post 13q9to0...@news.supernews.com
>> on 2/2/08 4:04 PM:

>>> It matters a great deal to the general user how many others use the
>>> platform they do. They want to use what everyone else uses.
>>
>> Define "general user".
>
> He's General Failure's cousin.

A much, much better answer than Rick will be able to supply. :)

--
I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.

Rick

Feb 3, 2008, 4:12:24 PM2/3/08
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:50:24 -0700, Snit wrote:

> "Rick" <no...@nomail.com> stated in post
> 13q9to0...@news.supernews.com on 2/2/08 4:04 PM:

>>> To a certain extent market share and use base matter... but only to a
>>> certain extent. It does not matter to the general user how many
>>> others use the platform they do, but it does matter to developers...
>>> and that effects users.
>>
>> It matters a great deal to the general user how many others use the
>> platform they do. They want to use what everyone else uses.
>
> Define "general user".

.. the 'general user' in your statement "It does not matter to the

general user how many others use the platform they do,"

--
Rick

Snit

Feb 3, 2008, 4:15:42 PM2/3/08
"Rick" <no...@nomail.com> stated in post 13qcbho...@news.supernews.com
on 2/3/08 2:12 PM:

Follower.

:)

--
What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.

birre

Feb 4, 2008, 8:34:22 AM2/4/08
On 2008-02-01 21:16, Oxford wrote:
> New, true Marketshare Numbers are in... and it appears even the iPhone
> will surpass Linux share in the next 16 months.
>
> Wow! the hugely successful iPhone will totally eclipse the Linux
> installed "user base" in less than 16 months, no wonder Linus has given
> up!
>
> Congrats to people that still want QUALITY in their lives!
>
> ---
>
> As of Feb 1st:
>
> Windows 91.46%
> Mac 7.57%
> Linux 0.67%
> iPhone 0.13%
> Playstation 0.03%
> SunOS 0.01%
>
> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
>
> -

I must be a very odd freak, I ONLY use Linux,SunOS and playstations.
(I have an very old mac classic + gator box somewhere, not booted for years)

For big irons, the top500 of the world, there is another picture:

Operating system Family Share %
Linux 85.20 %
Windows 1.20 %
Mac OS 0.40 %

<http://top500.org>

The marketshare.hitslink.com numbers only show that Mac and Linux will go up
and windows down.
You don't buy stocks that are on the peak do you?

As a Linux freak, I don't care a bit if everyone use it or not,
but it's hard to understand why windows drones think it's so damn
cool with restricted formats that only work for windows, and will be a part
of the monopoly and digital restrictions.
It's like not having the red book in China, or not vote for Saddam in Iraq,
or not be a jugent in Germany. A group pressure from fanatics.
While others now are free, or on the way to be,
you windows guys are still in it and have the worst part to see forward too.

/bb