Yet Antoher iMac Thread!

Steve Jones

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Just had to jump in here on the discussion of the iMac's expandablility. I
just found a quote that makes a lot of sense:

CompUSA's Halpin doesn't think the lack of
internal expansion options will hinder sales. "My
13-year-old daughter won't ask about
expandability. She will just want to buy one
because it's cool," he said.

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,21902,00.html?dtn.head

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the iMac. Many power
users out there are screaming, "How can you buy a computer that's so
un-expandable?!?" That's just it. It's for consumers, who for the most
part, probably have no idea what a PCI slot is, why SCSI is better than
IDE, or the difference between a SIMM and a DIMM. They want something they
can plop down on their desk and have it work, which the iMac, with it's
all-in-one design and G3 processor should excell at. I think this
superficial way of buying a computer goes perfectly well with it's design:
sleek and industrial. I'm sure there are going to be people who buy the
iMac simply on the basis of how it looks. And that's a lot of what the
consumer market is. People in the consumer market the last few years have
been going into stores, seeing the Apple logo, and running away because
"Apple's dying." (and pricing for that matter, which the iMac takes a step
in the right direction to solve) Maybe the iMac will get them to stop and
say, "Ooooh, what's that?", long enough for them to acutally see that the
Mac is a great platform.

Granted, there are a few things that I would change for the iMac. I think
the lack of a floppy drive is a bad thing. Even though Apple says the
internet will take care of everything, a floppy drive is a nice backup to
have. And that's a little hypocritical of them to say to use the internet,
and then not put in a 56k modem, which seems like it is becoming the
standard. I say upgrade the modem, at least have an optional floppy drive,
and the iMac is well on it's way to being a huge hit for Apple.

Steve
sjones...@columbus.rr.com

Goin' Nova

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

And your opinion on printing would be?

--
Of course, wilhelp is Bill Palamer's copyrighted property.

World Famous Usenet "writer", "my name is wilhelp"
wil...@ix.netcom.com (Bill Palmer) demonstrating
proofreading is not an option in <6i3rh6$2...@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>

Bruce Meyers

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

> Just had to jump in here on the discussion of the iMac's expandablility. I
> just found a quote that makes a lot of sense:
>
> CompUSA's Halpin doesn't think the lack of
> internal expansion options will hinder sales. "My
> 13-year-old daughter won't ask about
> expandability. She will just want to buy one
> because it's cool," he said.
>
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,21902,00.html?dtn.head
>
> I think a lot of people are missing the point of the iMac. Many power
> users out there are screaming, "How can you buy a computer that's so
> un-expandable?!?" That's just it. It's for consumers, who for the most
> part, probably have no idea what a PCI slot is, why SCSI is better than
> IDE, or the difference between a SIMM and a DIMM.

I've heard this consumer-doesn't-care arguement a few times, and I don't
believe it. The success of Pentiums teaches us that non-computer savvy
people (which is still most people) still want a machine with all the
totally modern and well-known buzzwords like "56k" and even "floppy". I'm
afraid it's pretty in the cheesy way, not the cool and testosterone way.
You know "More Power uh uh uhhhh" even if they can't define how. Apple
haters can still have a field day with this thing. The network computer
defense makes more sense, but that info hasn't come from Apple yet. At
present, I wouldn't recommend this to my parents, which is the real test.

Just please tell me Olestra chips won't get popular..

Bruce Meyers

Your Name

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

Read at macosrumors.com
a good answer :

Many readers have written in with concern over the apparent lack
of external SCSI, PCI slots, or a floppy drive. So, we dialed up a
few of the people who'd only been at liberty to call the iMac by its
other name, "Steve's Baby." (Once confused with AMP, this little
box had been sitting right under our noses for some time). Finally,
we got a few straight answers from one extremely reliable source.

"The feature set of the 'i' isn't complete yet. There
could very easily be changes between now and August
(if you believe that timeline). However, right now, it
is expansionless with the exception of its USB
ports....which we'll be announcing some cool
products for in the future, like the USB floppy the
boys in hardware dev are playing with. Do you know
why that is?"

We didn't, so Tron (not his real name) -- talking to us from the
infamous Leaky Phone Booth at a popular Apple employee hangout
(Space Paranoids, eat your hearts out) -- told us.

"Steve's grunts put this thing in front of a half-dozen
focus groups and asked them what they'd like to see
in it. Virtually 100% of the time, people who didn't
already own a computer or had a budget under $1500
-- the only people we're really trying to reach with
this box, everyone else should be waiting for the
Gossamer II G3s, which have a few surprises of their
own -- people wanted low cost, fast graphics, a fast
processor, and compatible connectivity (USB). All
else was secondary. So we gave them what they
wanted."

So, we asked, what was Apple doing for people who wanted
something with more expansion?

"Watch Steve between now and August. Gossamer
II's first appearance should be around the release of
the iMac, or soon after. I haven't seen it in a case, but
suffice it to say it's everything PowerExpress was, at
half the cost and with USB and all kinds of other cool
stuff PEx never had.

iMac isn't for the geeks. It's for the people who
bought a Mac 128k because it was cool, because it
was easy, and because it was (at the time) priced for a
home user. If the geeks are worried about limitations,
they can spend a couple hundred more on desktop G3
and get their PCI slots. 'The rest of us,' the other
70% of the population of the world, probably will
never use them anyway and would rather get a
cheaper, faster, cooler, more compatible box in a
heartbeat."
sjones...@columbus.rr.com (Steve Jones) writes:

>Just had to jump in here on the discussion of the iMac's expandablility. I
>just found a quote that makes a lot of sense:

>CompUSA's Halpin doesn't think the lack of
>internal expansion options will hinder sales. "My
>13-year-old daughter won't ask about
>expandability. She will just want to buy one
>because it's cool," he said.

>http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,21902,00.html?dtn.head

>I think a lot of people are missing the point of the iMac. Many power
>users out there are screaming, "How can you buy a computer that's so
>un-expandable?!?" That's just it. It's for consumers, who for the most
>part, probably have no idea what a PCI slot is, why SCSI is better than

>IDE, or the difference between a SIMM and a DIMM. They want something they
>can plop down on their desk and have it work, which the iMac, with it's
>all-in-one design and G3 processor should excell at. I think this
>superficial way of buying a computer goes perfectly well with it's design:
>sleek and industrial. I'm sure there are going to be people who buy the
>iMac simply on the basis of how it looks. And that's a lot of what the
>consumer market is. People in the consumer market the last few years have
>been going into stores, seeing the Apple logo, and running away because
>"Apple's dying." (and pricing for that matter, which the iMac takes a step
>in the right direction to solve) Maybe the iMac will get them to stop and
>say, "Ooooh, what's that?", long enough for them to acutally see that the
>Mac is a great platform.

>Granted, there are a few things that I would change for the iMac. I think
>the lack of a floppy drive is a bad thing. Even though Apple says the
>internet will take care of everything, a floppy drive is a nice backup to
>have. And that's a little hypocritical of them to say to use the internet,
>and then not put in a 56k modem, which seems like it is becoming the
>standard. I say upgrade the modem, at least have an optional floppy drive,
>and the iMac is well on it's way to being a huge hit for Apple.

>Steve
>sjones...@columbus.rr.com

Matthew Vaughan

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

In article
<brushwood-080...@sdn-ts-001njnbrup02.dialsprint.net>,
brus...@sprintmail.com (Bruce Meyers) wrote:

> > I think a lot of people are missing the point of the iMac. Many power
> > users out there are screaming, "How can you buy a computer that's so
> > un-expandable?!?" That's just it. It's for consumers, who for the most
> > part, probably have no idea what a PCI slot is, why SCSI is better than
> > IDE, or the difference between a SIMM and a DIMM.
>

> I've heard this consumer-doesn't-care arguement a few times, and I don't
> believe it. The success of Pentiums teaches us that non-computer savvy
> people (which is still most people) still want a machine with all the
> totally modern and well-known buzzwords like "56k" and even "floppy". I'm
> afraid it's pretty in the cheesy way, not the cool and testosterone way.

Maybe _women_ will start buying computers for once, not just men?

MATTHEW VAUGHAN
matthewv at best dot com (damn spammers...)
http://www.best.com/~matthewv/

Robin

May 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/8/98

In article <6j0ofa$8...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>, postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
(Michael J. Stango) wrote:

> In article <see-below-080...@209.24.241.28>,

> see-...@not-my-address.com (Matthew Vaughan) wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><brushwood-080...@sdn-ts-001njnbrup02.dialsprint.net>,
> >brus...@sprintmail.com (Bruce Meyers) wrote:
> >
> >Maybe _women_ will start buying computers for once, not just men?
>

> Yeah, they can keep their recipes on them, or something. <g>

Already covered. Hypercard...:)

Morbius

Michael J. Stango

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

In article <see-below-080...@209.24.241.28>,
see-...@not-my-address.com (Matthew Vaughan) wrote:

>In article
><brushwood-080...@sdn-ts-001njnbrup02.dialsprint.net>,
>brus...@sprintmail.com (Bruce Meyers) wrote:
>
>Maybe _women_ will start buying computers for once, not just men?

Yeah, they can keep their recipes on them, or something. <g>

~Philly

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Michael J. Stango -known as 'mjstango' at his ISP, 'worldnet.att.net'

"The internet will not render print media *completely* obsolete until
a computer is invented that you can roll up and use to swat a fly."
-- Me

Kreme

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

In article <6iu32f$m...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>,
NeedALight?@NOT.netcom.com (Goin' Nova) wrote:

> > Granted, there are a few things that I would change for the iMac. I think
> > the lack of a floppy drive is a bad thing. Even though Apple says the
> > internet will take care of everything, a floppy drive is a nice backup to
> > have. And that's a little hypocritical of them to say to use the internet,
> > and then not put in a 56k modem, which seems like it is becoming the
> > standard. I say upgrade the modem, at least have an optional floppy drive,
> > and the iMac is well on it's way to being a huge hit for Apple.
>

> And your opinion on printing would be?

What, you expect a printer with that $1299 machine? Sorry, you'll
actually have to BUY a printer.