Mac Problems/Limitations

Sarah Roberts

Nov 26, 2007, 3:09:19 PM11/26/07
As a long-time PC user, I am considering a new computer for school. My
campus is PC/MS and does not support Macs, though Mac connectivity is
allowed. You're just "on your own", in regards to support and
troubleshooting. Because of the compatibility and relatively low incident
of virus attacks, I am considering a switch to the Mac platform. If you've
watched any US television in the last year (or a YouTube fan), you're bound
to have seen the PC vs. Mac commercials and know the benifits of the Mac.
What I'm interested in learning are the drawbacks of Mac/OS X* from users
who know the machines. What problems are common? What limitations do they
pose? When (what circumstances or for what users) would you NOT recommend
one? What concerns should every potential new user be aware of before
buying?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Sarah Roberts
xsa...@xkboykoolx.com
(remove e'x'es to reply)

Dave Fritzinger

Nov 26, 2007, 3:59:50 PM11/26/07
> xsar...@xkboykoolx.com

> (remove e'x'es to reply)

While Macintoshes certainly aren't perfect, there can be problems. If
you are a long-time PC user, you may have trouble getting used to OSX,
since it just does some things differently than Windows. I'm sure many
of the Windows advocates will tell you that it is worse, but in many
cases, it is just different. An example is that, on a Windows PC,
closing all the windows in a program also shuts down the program. In
most cases, this doesn't happen on the Mac, where the program will
continue to run even though it has no open windows. Is one better than
the other? Probably not-it is just what you are used to.

If you feel comfortable supporting your own computer, than the lack of
support at your school for Macs shouldn't be too big a problem.
However, some people are used to the support they get from their IT
departments, and wouldn't like to be without it. If this describes
you, stay with the PC. Additionally, while the Mac has a number of
programs available to accomplish most tasks (despite what some of the
more asnine Windows advocates will tell you), there are certain
vertical markets that are less-well served (or, in some cases, not
served at all) for Macs. Again, you have to look at the software
available and decide if your needs are well enough served by what is
available for Macs.

As you may be aware, Macs can now boot Windows, either by using the
built-in Boot Camp, or by purchasing a program like Parallels. Note
that in either case, you have to supply your own copy of Windows, as
Apple doesn't supply one. However, if you think you will be spending
much of your time running Windows, you may just as well stick with a
Windows computer, as that would save you the cost of the additional
Windows license. Finally, while Macs are very competitive costwise
with Windows PCs that are similarly outfitted, Apple doesn't allow as
many configuration options as most PC manufacturers. For example, if
you want a computer that can hold multiple internal hard drives,
multiple optical drives, or that has internal slots, your only choice
from Apple is the Mac Pro, which is pretty expensive (though
comparable in cost to Windows machines with similar specs). The less
expensive Macs don't offer as many configuration options, which is OK
for some, but not for others.

I hope I gave you a balanced answer. You are likely to get some less
balanced replies from some of the Windows advocates, and even from
some of the Mac advocates here. I much prefer using the Mac for my
work, and I would recommend the Mac to others. But I realize that
there are some situations where a Mac is a less appropriate choice
than a PC.

Good luck in your choice, whatever it may be.
--
Dave Fritzinger
Honolulu, HI

Thundercleets

Nov 26, 2007, 4:16:12 PM11/26/07
> xsar...@xkboykoolx.com

> (remove e'x'es to reply)

In general Windows is a magnet for scum-ware. Some will say that it
is popularity and others that it is bad design either way it is true.
Mac users will have far far less problems with scum-ware and Windows
tends to have it in buckets.

M$ has problems lately with Outlook on Windows. File size limitations
force Outlook to split it's offline file/s which would be fine except
that it also likes to corrupt them. Defragging helps and if you do
not use offline mode in Exchange then that is not a problem. This is
also not a problem with Entourage which is M$' version of Outlook for
Mac. When using PowerPoint on Mac sometimes video, slide animation,
transition and color can change. This happens for a variety of reasons
but is often caused by embedding rather than importing and improper
version matching. M$ still does not make it easy to go between the
different versions of their various office products.

If you buy a Mac you should have a generally problem free experience
with it but it will cost.
If you have to go cheap bu the x86 hardware but avoid Windows and
install Linux.

zara

Nov 26, 2007, 5:06:29 PM11/26/07

"Sarah Roberts" <xsa...@xkboykoolx.com> wrote in message

> As a long-time PC user, I am considering a new computer for school. My
> campus is PC/MS and does not support Macs, though Mac connectivity is
> allowed. You're just "on your own", in regards to support and
> troubleshooting. Because of the compatibility and relatively low incident
> of virus attacks, I am considering a switch to the Mac platform. If
> you've
> watched any US television in the last year (or a YouTube fan), you're
> bound
> to have seen the PC vs. Mac commercials and know the benifits of the Mac.
> What I'm interested in learning are the drawbacks of Mac/OS X* from users
> who know the machines. What problems are common? What limitations do
> they
> pose? When (what circumstances or for what users) would you NOT recommend
> one? What concerns should every potential new user be aware of before
> buying?

It doesn't matter - they are computers, appliances, if you will.
The WINDOWS platform is vastly more popular - 97% of the worlds computer
users, use WINDOWS. Most third party apps run on WINDOWS. Viruses are a
thing of the past.

But I know several people using macs - they seem to be able to muddle
through ok.

My suggestion; use whatever the dominant platform at your school is. You
will avoid a myriad of problems.

Wayne Stuart

Nov 26, 2007, 5:37:38 PM11/26/07
Sarah Roberts <xsa...@xkboykoolx.com> wrote:

Games... although even that's not so much a problem nowadays being as
you can still have Windows on it, even if it's only used as a games
bootloader.

Some people take longer than others to get used to Mac OS if they're
ingrained within the Windows way of working. And some people just can't
adapt at all, so set in their ways are they. Have you had play with one
to see how adaptable *you* are?

What about software? Do you have an investment of software on your PC?
Would you be okay buying all new software? Or at least the software
that doesn't come bundled, e.g. office apps?

Oh, and in an almost wholly Windows environment, there may be a fair
splattering of Windows fanboys who will always try and belittle you for
not buying a 'proper' computer. And if at any point your Mac fails to
behave impecably, they will jump on that with, "Huh, I thought Macs just
worked/never crashed/were supposed to be perfect... huh huh huh!" - That
can be slightly irritating.

Anyway, try one, see if you like it first.

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

Reasons why not to choose Macintosh...
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/whynotmacfaq/>

Jim Lee Jr.

Nov 26, 2007, 5:41:35 PM11/26/07
In article <krH2j.5921$rc2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
"zara" <heddon...@optonline.net> wrote:

> Viruses are a thing of the past.

In your alky induced fantasies.

> But I know several people using Macs, they seem to be able to muddle
> through okay.

Again, in your alky induced fantasies.

> My suggestion: use whatever the dominant platform at your school is. You
> will avoid a myriad of problems.

And what if the dominant school platform is Apple? But wait, that would
put your pretty pink panties and bra into a giant bind.

--
Posted from my 1999 Apple G4 Sawtooth
A 450 MHz G4 running OS X 10.4.11

Edwin

Nov 26, 2007, 5:42:32 PM11/26/07
> xsar...@xkboykoolx.com

> (remove e'x'es to reply)

By the computer your school favors so you can spend your time thinking
about what you're there to study instead of compatibility issues and
computer problems you'll have to fix on your own.

Buy a Windows PC. It's cheaper, it works, and it'll fit in with what
you want it to do.

Alan Baker

Nov 26, 2007, 6:36:21 PM11/26/07
In article <PJF2j.20714$4V6....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>,
"Sarah Roberts" <xsa...@xkboykoolx.com> wrote:

I haven't noticed any significant limitations for what I want to do (web
browsing, email, reading Usenet, desktop publishing, 3D modelling), but
the best way to consider the purchase of any computer is to ask yourself
what you plan to be doing and then make sure that the tools you want to
use are all going to be available to you.

If your primary reason for buying a computer was to play computer games,
I definitely wouldn't recommend a Mac.

Other than that, I'd say get a Mac, because even if there were a couple
of progams that you needed to use that weren't available for Mac OS X,
you can always run Windows in Parallels and have the best of both worlds:

Windows when you absolutely must and the Mac for everything else!

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

zara

Nov 26, 2007, 7:06:31 PM11/26/07

"Jim Lee Jr." <peejs...@insightbb.com> wrote in message

> In article <krH2j.5921$rc2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
> "zara" <heddon...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> Viruses are a thing of the past.
>
> In your alky induced fantasies.
>
>> But I know several people using Macs, they seem to be able to muddle
>> through okay.
>
> Again, in your alky induced fantasies.
>
>> My suggestion: use whatever the dominant platform at your school is. You
>> will avoid a myriad of problems.
>
> And what if the dominant school platform is Apple? But wait, that would
> put your pretty pink panties and bra into a giant bind.

Do you understand: "My suggestion: use whatever the dominant platform at
your school is."

If not, I'm sure someone here could help you.

OldCSMAer

Nov 26, 2007, 7:48:11 PM11/26/07
In article
<alangbaker-361E62.15362426112007@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net> wrote:

I'm a Mac user, but honestly, save yourself the hassle and get a PC this
time around. You'll end up hating Apple if your support people turn up
their noses when you need help.

If you are bound and determined to get a Mac, install Parallels or VM
Ware with Windows XP, so you can switch back and forth between Mac and
PC.

C Lund

Nov 27, 2007, 5:15:00 AM11/27/07
In article <PJF2j.20714$4V6....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>,
"Sarah Roberts" <xsa...@xkboykoolx.com> wrote:

> As a long-time PC user, I am considering a new computer for school. My
> campus is PC/MS and does not support Macs, though Mac connectivity is
> allowed. You're just "on your own", in regards to support and
> troubleshooting. Because of the compatibility and relatively low incident
> of virus attacks, I am considering a switch to the Mac platform. If you've
> watched any US television in the last year (or a YouTube fan), you're bound
> to have seen the PC vs. Mac commercials and know the benifits of the Mac.
> What I'm interested in learning are the drawbacks of Mac/OS X* from users
> who know the machines. What problems are common? What limitations do they
> pose? When (what circumstances or for what users) would you NOT recommend
> one? What concerns should every potential new user be aware of before
> buying?

There aren't that many games available for the mac. But since you can
run Windows on it then that shouldn't be a problem.

However, since you're in a Windows environment you'll have to be
prepared to take a lot of flak from the Windows users for choosing
something else.

--
C Lund, www.notam02.no/~clund

nospamatall

Nov 27, 2007, 7:52:39 AM11/27/07

In a world where there are choices, being able to think for yourself is
possible. In operating systems right now, for most of us there are only
two choices, which is far from ideal. The best thing to do is to make
sure that whatever choice you make, it is your choice, so if you choose
windows, don't do it because the IT people told you to. Asking around
like this is good, and it shows that you are questioning things. That
matters more than your actual choice.

What do you want to be doing when you leave education? It isn't just
what qualifications you get that determine this, in fact that is the
smallest factor. Are you going to allow those who are supposed to serve
you to dictate to you? Of the available options, both Linux and Mac
support the open standards of interoperability on which networking is
based. There is no rational reason not to support a Unix system.

If you take the slightly harder path it might benefit you in the long
run. With a little effort you will be in a position to support yourself
and not rely on others whose main purpose is to keep themselves in a job
by your continuing dependence on them.

After a relatively short time, with some effort reading articles online
or in books, you'll be in a position to fix anything not hardware
related on your machine yourself. You could do this with Windows too,
but it is more opaque and one gets the distinct feeling it is not one's
own computer. Not having 'support' could turn to your advantage as you
would have to learn the system yourself.

It depends what your interests are. Do you need to understand and
control your machine, or are computers not that important a part of your
future plans? If the latter, go with the flow.

Andy

Mitch

Nov 27, 2007, 8:15:21 AM11/27/07
In article
<peejster01-08901...@unlimited.newshosting.com>, Jim Lee
Jr. <peejs...@insightbb.com> wrote:

> In article <krH2j.5921$rc2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
> "zara" <heddon...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > Viruses are a thing of the past.

> > But I know several people using Macs, they seem to be able to muddle
> > through okay.

> > My suggestion: use whatever the dominant platform at your school is. You

> > will avoid a myriad of problems.
>
> And what if the dominant school platform is Apple?

You should have asked just how using the same as the 'dominant'
platform makes any damn difference at all. Why should the end-user care
what two guys down the hall are using?

It's like zara assumes that the majority elsewhere matters to what you
can do on your own computer. No wonder he's so mystified that people
are using Mac OS effectively and happily -- they don't fit with his
presumption of difficulties.

It's partly true -- when a school or company IT department decides to
couch everything in terms of a particular OS (which is obviously not
necessary), they often start doing things specifically for one OS. They
provide spyware protection and tell everyone to install it. They
provide anti-virus and tell everyone to install it. They buy license OS
upgrades for every student from Microsoft, splitting the cost among
everyone. It's so clearly foolish that I don't know how anyone
tolerates it.

zara

Nov 27, 2007, 10:56:05 AM11/27/07

"Mitch" <mi...@hawaii.rr> wrote in message

> In article
> <peejster01-08901...@unlimited.newshosting.com>, Jim Lee
> Jr. <peejs...@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <krH2j.5921$rc2....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
>> "zara" <heddon...@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Viruses are a thing of the past.
>
>> > But I know several people using Macs, they seem to be able to muddle
>> > through okay.
>
>> > My suggestion: use whatever the dominant platform at your school is.
>> > You
>> > will avoid a myriad of problems.
>>
>> And what if the dominant school platform is Apple?
>
> You should have asked just how using the same as the 'dominant'
> platform makes any damn difference at all. Why should the end-user care
> what two guys down the hall are using?

> It's like zara assumes that the majority elsewhere matters to what you
> can do on your own computer. No wonder he's so mystified that people
> are using Mac OS effectively and happily -- they don't fit with his
> presumption of difficulties.

Read what YOU wrote below - then tell me again how "mystified" I am. Do you
people even read what is posted ,before you, "shoot from the lip"?

iMojo

Nov 28, 2007, 6:04:44 AM11/28/07
In article <PJF2j.20714$4V6....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>,
"Sarah Roberts" <xsa...@xkboykoolx.com> wrote:

Get a Mac. It is the best computer platform bar none. Tons of cool
software and peripherals available. Fun, easy to use, very powerful.
No viruses, malware and crap that windozes users have to put up
with on a daily basis.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/

Heck, if you must, you can even run windoze on the same box. Although
this just wastes hard disk space:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

Get an Mac and you'll fall in love with all things Apple.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Enjoy!