New revolutionary Apple MacBook

Wayne Stuart

Apr 13, 2009, 1:27:39 PM4/13/09
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

I could be wrong, but I get the impression they're oh so subtly trying
to say something about stereotypical Mac users here...

Well, anyway, I soooo want one! It's shiny, and it's got an Apple logo
on it! ;-)

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

http://whynotmac.net76.net/

Nashton

Apr 14, 2009, 6:21:59 AM4/14/09
Wayne Stuart wrote:
> http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary
>
> I could be wrong, but I get the impression they're oh so subtly trying
> to say something about stereotypical Mac users here...
>
> Well, anyway, I soooo want one! It's shiny, and it's got an Apple logo
> on it! ;-)

Hilarious

Message has been deleted

MuahMan

Apr 14, 2009, 7:08:53 PM4/14/09
On Apr 14, 8:39 am, speaker <spea...@analogbliss.net> wrote:
> There may not be a typical Apple user but there is a stereotypical Mac
> user -
>
> more affluent (more cash) than the majority of the population
>
> recognizes a quality OS based on ease of use, user friendliness,
> simplicity but also digs those cute animated icons and cheesy Macossounds
>
> hardware phobic, non-technical, not a DIY, would rather pay Apple
> hundreds of dollars more than install a memory card
>
> likes Apple products because of the look and feel of the product and the
> packaging rather than the actual quality of the hardware or software
>
> will rush out to buy the first edition of any software or hardware
> product before all the bugs have been worked out
>
> grooves on packaging marketing slogans like "Designed in California"
> without knowing or caring that the actual product is manufactured and
> assembled in China by cheap labor living in a prison-like compound with
> dorms and a cafeteria

LOL! I love this thread and that story. LOL 45 minutes typing an
email but it was worth because it said "Sent From My iWheel" on it so
everyone knows I have it.

wetpixel

Apr 14, 2009, 8:06:09 PM4/14/09
In article <mv%El.28680$%k2.1...@newsfe07.iad>, speaker
<spe...@analogbliss.net> wrote:

Such a good start, then drains into stupidity and thoughtlessness:

> There may not be a typical Apple user but there is a stereotypical Mac
> user -
>
> more affluent (more cash) than the majority of the population
>
> recognizes a quality OS based on ease of use, user friendliness,
> simplicity but also digs those cute animated icons and cheesy Macossounds
>
> hardware phobic, non-technical, not a DIY, would rather pay Apple
> hundreds of dollars more than install a memory card

Never been true on either point: Apple hasn't charged 'hundreds' more
for memory upgrades, and Mac users are often just as technical. The
stereotype of paying Apple to do it exists only in troll minds.

> likes Apple products because of the look and feel of the product and the
> packaging rather than the actual quality of the hardware or software

Nope; but of actually including look, feel, design, operation,
interface, gracefulness and tact in their assessments, where
competitors and other buyers had not.

> will rush out to buy the first edition of any software or hardware
> product before all the bugs have been worked out

Silly, ridiculous, and speciously 'risky.' You can't give an example of
this because it isn't happening.

> grooves on packaging marketing slogans like "Designed in California"
> without knowing or caring that the actual product is manufactured and
> assembled in China by cheap labor living in a prison-like compound with
> dorms and a cafeteria

Those compounds are the most analysed and checked factories in China.
Only stupid people suggest they are inferior to the previous system of
inexperienced off-site workers paid much less for much more work and
fewer benefits.

Steve Mackay

Apr 14, 2009, 8:26:15 PM4/14/09
wetpixel wrote:
> In article <mv%El.28680$%k2.1...@newsfe07.iad>, speaker
> <spe...@analogbliss.net> wrote:
>
> Such a good start, then drains into stupidity and thoughtlessness:
>
>> There may not be a typical Apple user but there is a stereotypical Mac
>> user -
>>
>> more affluent (more cash) than the majority of the population
>>
>> recognizes a quality OS based on ease of use, user friendliness,
>> simplicity but also digs those cute animated icons and cheesy Macossounds
>>
>> hardware phobic, non-technical, not a DIY, would rather pay Apple
>> hundreds of dollars more than install a memory card
> Never been true on either point: Apple hasn't charged 'hundreds' more
> for memory upgrades, and Mac users are often just as technical. The
> stereotype of paying Apple to do it exists only in troll minds.

Umm, yes, Apple has, and still DOES charge hundreds more for RAM upgrades.

Take for instance... Upgrade from 2gb to 8gb is $1100 from Apple, and
you can BUY 8 GB(2x 4GB) of DDR3 Sodimms for $937 from Crucial OR $699
from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226021

Snit

Apr 14, 2009, 10:06:48 PM4/14/09
Steve Mackay stated in post LW9Fl.14776$pr6....@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com on
4/14/09 5:26 PM:

Is that standard spec memory or high-spec Apple grade memory? :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

wetpixel

Apr 15, 2009, 2:48:17 AM4/15/09
In article <LW9Fl.14776$pr6....@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com>, Steve Mackay
<mackay...@att.net> wrote:

> wetpixel wrote:
> >> hardware phobic, non-technical, not a DIY, would rather pay Apple
> >> hundreds of dollars more than install a memory card
> > Never been true on either point: Apple hasn't charged 'hundreds' more
> > for memory upgrades, and Mac users are often just as technical. The
> > stereotype of paying Apple to do it exists only in troll minds.
>
> Umm, yes, Apple has, and still DOES charge hundreds more for RAM upgrades.
>
> Take for instance... Upgrade from 2gb to 8gb is $1100 from Apple, and
> you can BUY 8 GB(2x 4GB) of DDR3 Sodimms for $937 from Crucial OR $699
> from newegg.

Yeah; Mushkin (?) non-ECC. So don't mix those.

Crucial has 240-pin DIMMs at 1079 today, for the iMac and Mac Pros. 979
for the MacBook Pro.

Apple listed upgrading to 8 GB for the MBP at 900.
iMac upgrades at 900.

Remember, also, we're talking about _installation_, which has always
been taken as a service, and is considered valuable by corporate
buyers, if not individual buyers.

I just don't see the difference for comparable purchases, and I don't
know why, if you find one that could technically fit 'hundreds' more,
you don't also figure you're being unfair to categorize the whole
company as ripping off in that way.

This is about making a fair statement, not about defending Apple.
I used to be a strong critic against the builder RAM upgrades, from
Apple and others.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ed

Apr 16, 2009, 6:34:05 PM4/16/09
On Apr 14, 11:48 pm, wetpixel <wetpi...@news.news> wrote:
> In article <LW9Fl.14776$pr6.2...@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com>, Steve Mackay

> <mackay.st...@att.net> wrote:
> > > Never been true on either point: Apple hasn't charged 'hundreds' more
> > > for memory upgrades, and Mac users are often just as technical. The
> > > stereotype of paying Apple to do it exists only in troll minds.
>
> > Umm, yes, Apple has, and still DOES charge hundreds more for RAM upgrades.
>
> > Take for instance... Upgrade from 2gb to 8gb is $1100 from Apple, and
> > you can BUY 8 GB(2x 4GB) of DDR3 Sodimms for $937 from Crucial OR $699
> > from newegg.
>
> Yeah; Mushkin (?) non-ECC. So don't mix those.
>
> Crucial has 240-pin DIMMs at 1079 today, for the iMac and Mac Pros. 979
> for the MacBook Pro.
>
> Apple listed upgrading to 8 GB for the MBP at 900.
> iMac upgrades at 900.

when i upgraded the memory on my macbook to 4GB, it cost $100 from
newegg vs $500 from apple. the only specs for memory from apple was
ddr5300, and most ddr5300 memory at the time was cas5, and i even
stepped up and bought cas4 memory. :P

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/7a8a077ad022d57f/d477b575258aca90?lnk=gst&q=author%3Aed#d477b575258aca90

> Remember, also, we're talking about _installation_, which has always
> been taken as a service, and is considered valuable by corporate
> buyers, if not individual buyers.

they charge hundreds extra for their consumer line too. (totally
ignoring the fact that there is no extra installation for apple). and
dell at the time i upgraded my macbook was charging $150, while apple
was charging $500. still 'hundreds more,' even accounting for
installation.

Steve de Mena

Apr 17, 2009, 4:06:48 AM4/17/09
wetpixel wrote:
> In article <LW9Fl.14776$pr6....@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com>, Steve Mackay
> <mackay...@att.net> wrote:

>>> Never been true on either point: Apple hasn't charged 'hundreds' more
>>> for memory upgrades, and Mac users are often just as technical. The
>>> stereotype of paying Apple to do it exists only in troll minds.
>> Umm, yes, Apple has, and still DOES charge hundreds more for RAM upgrades.
>>
>> Take for instance... Upgrade from 2gb to 8gb is $1100 from Apple, and
>> you can BUY 8 GB(2x 4GB) of DDR3 Sodimms for $937 from Crucial OR $699
>> from newegg.
>
> Yeah; Mushkin (?) non-ECC. So don't mix those.

The 4GB chips in a MacBook Pro are non ECC.

http://tinyurl.com/dmxucw

I show Corsair and Mushkin at the $699 price.

http://tinyurl.com/csoapa

What's wrong with them?

Steve

wetpixel

May 28, 2009, 1:07:37 PM5/28/09
In article <49e6ddd6$0$90269$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>, speaker
<spe...@analogbliss.net> wrote:

> In article <140420092048170378%wetp...@news.news>,

> wetpixel <wetp...@news.news> wrote:
>
> > In article <LW9Fl.14776$pr6....@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com>, Steve Mackay
> > <mackay...@att.net> wrote:
>
> > > Umm, yes, Apple has, and still DOES charge hundreds more for RAM upgrades.

> [snip]

> > Remember, also, we're talking about _installation_, which has always
> > been taken as a service, and is considered valuable by corporate
> > buyers, if not individual buyers.
>

> Any business who can afford to throw away hundreds of dollars per
> computer for memory upgrades and who doesn't hire a technician to do
> that kind of work is not a business concerned with operating costs and
> either has money to burn or will not be in business very long.

> > I just don't see the difference for comparable purchases, and I don't
> > know why, if you find one that could technically fit 'hundreds' more,
> > you don't also figure you're being unfair to categorize the whole
> > company as ripping off in that way.
>

> Wow, this response is typical of someone who has been indoctrinated and
> brainwashed by a cult - like the "Moonies" - but instead, it is the
> "Maccies."

> > This is about making a fair statement

> [snip]
>
> This is about making an accurate and factual statement not a pro-Apple
> propaganda denial of the facts.

Exactly right: so why do you make the claim above?
You don't have any right to make the assumption about a business
installing RAM that you made, but you did it to illustrate that you
think that decision would be unwise.
You've used an invented example to illustrate an invented problem, and
you've blamed Apple for causing it!

A reasonable non-zealot statement should read:
"many makers charge much more to install upgraded hardware than a
streetwise consumer ould need to pay to install himself."

It isn't about Apple, it isn't about hundreds or thousands of dollars
per unit, and for many people the different kinds of hardware are
unclear -- so let's all stop making blanket condemnations with
hyperbole.