68230 obsolete ???

Peter Welten

May 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/3/95
We are planning to use the 68230.
But we have heard some rumours that it becomes obsolete soon.

Can anyone confirm or deny these rumours?

If these rumours are true, are there replacements?

Thanks,

Peter Welten.

belan...@wcsub.ctstateu.edu

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
> Peter Welten <pet...@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl> wrote:
>>We are planning to use the 68230.
>>But we have heard some rumours that it becomes obsolete soon.
>>
>>Can anyone confirm or deny these rumours?

According to the Mot OEM price book, 1/7/95,
the last order dat for the 68230 is 12/01/95.
The same applies to the 68000, 68008, 68010.

The HC and EC 68k parts are still ok.
Gerry Belanger.

Thomas J. Trebisky

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
In article <3o7qjo$1...@tuegate.tue.nl>,

Peter Welten <pet...@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl> wrote:
>We are planning to use the 68230.
>But we have heard some rumours that it becomes obsolete soon.
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny these rumours?

I cannot officially do either, but I would be quite surprised.
We have been buying lots of VME board level products with the
(in)famous PIT chip (68230) on them, so there will be lots of
disappointed manufacturers, at least in this country. Not to
say that such things haven't happened before.

As one data point, I am holding an industry pack module with a
Motorola manufactured MC68230P8 with a 9451 date code (week 51
of 1994) in my hand ... for what that is worth.

Not that I am any great fan of this chip, nor am I a great
detractor. It has more modes and options than Carter has liver
pills. At least I can say I have suffered with it and know how
to put it thru its paces now. Perfectly servicable once you
come to terms with it and its documentation.

Hopefully someone with official knowledge from Moto will
give the offical word.
--
Tom Trebisky Steward Observatory
ttre...@as.arizona.edu University of Arizona

Jim Reinhart

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
In article <3oupd4$r...@news.ccit.arizona.edu>, t...@canopus.as.arizona.edu
(Thomas J. Trebisky) wrote:

OK.

An end-of-life notification for the 68230 was issued
to current purchasers of this product on 1 December 1994.

Motorola will continue to accept orders, as per the EOL terms, until
1 December 1995 and will ship product against these orders until
1 June 1996.

--
Jim Reinhart
Motorola Microprocessor & Memory Technologies Group

Toni Zollikofer

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95
In article <1995May1...@wcsub.ctstateu.edu>,
belan...@wcsub.ctstateu.edu wrote:

> > Peter Welten <pet...@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl> wrote:
> >>We are planning to use the 68230.
> >>But we have heard some rumours that it becomes obsolete soon.
> >>
> >>Can anyone confirm or deny these rumours?
>

> According to the Mot OEM price book, 1/7/95,
> the last order dat for the 68230 is 12/01/95.
> The same applies to the 68000, 68008, 68010.
>
> The HC and EC 68k parts are still ok.
> Gerry Belanger.

(I did not watch this group for some weeks, sorry I could have answered
this before)

That is correct.
We had end-of-life announcements in November last year for the devices
named above plus 68901, 68681, 68440, 68450.
This is because of the HMOS process which will be discontinued.
For the 68901 and the 68681 are CMOS equivalents in development.

Cheers,
Toni

--
________/ ______/ Toni Zollikofer