A Memo on the Secret Features of 6309

Hirotsugu Kakugawa

Feb 22, 1992, 8:10:06 PM2/22/92
Dear 6309 users

I finished my exam and writing the memo on the seacret features of
6309. In the memo, many fearutes of 6309 are reported but I do not
know ALL of them. In addition to that, my 6309 computer is packed and
kept in my hometown: I cannot tried unclear points.

[
NOTE:
You may have questions about the features written in this meno.
Then, please post your question to comp.sys.m6809; do not send mails
to me. I may not answer your questions since I cannot try the
features now, as I write above. Your questions may be answered by
people who has 6309 based computer.
]

The meno is not complete.
Please try and post the results to comp.sys.m6809!

===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===

A MEMO ON THE SECRET FEATURES OF 6309

by Hirotsugu Kakugawa, (kaku...@csl.hiroshima-u.ac.jp)
Computer Systems Lab., Information Engineering Course,
Graduate School of Engineering, Hiroshima Univ., Japan

1. ** INTRODUCTION **

The CPU 6309 by HITACHI has secret features which is not written in
its manual. The purpose of this memo is to introduce them.
The features was originally reported in a magazine,
Oh!FM (1988 Apr.), which was written in Japanese. I did not tried all
of the features reported in the article, but I report the features as
far as I know.

HITACHI says in the manual of 6309 that 6309 is compatible with 6809,
but some OS-9 hackers found that it has secret features.

It has following features:
1. More registers (additional two 8 bit accumulators, 8 bit
register, and a 16 bit register),
2. Two modes (6809 emulation mode and native mode),
3. Reduced execution cycles in native mode,
4. More instructions (16 bit x 16 bit multiplication, 32 bit / 16 bit
division, inter-registers operation, block transfer, bit
manipulating operation which is compatible with 6801 has, etc)
5. Error trap by illegal instruction, zero division.

I substituted 6309 for 6809 in my personal computer, and I changed
OS9/6809 Level II such that the 6309 executes in native mode.
I had to change the interrupt handling routine in the kernel.
I implemented illegal instruction trap; I was really happy because
most bugs are caught by trap handler.

In section 2, new registers are explained. In section 3, two modes of
6309 is explained. In section 4, trapping features of the 6309 is
described. In section 5, new instructions are explained. In section 6,
the instruction tables of the 6309 is shown.

2. ** NEW REGISTERS **

The 6309 has some additional registers that 6809 does not.

1. The E register, the F register
These are 8 bit accumulators. Like the D register is a pair of
the A register and the B register, these two registers can be
used as a 16 bit accumulator. The pair of the E and the F
registers is called the W register.
In addition to that, pair of two 16 bit registers, the D register
and the W register, can be used as a 32 bit accumulator called the
Q register.

2. The V register
This a 16 bit register can be used only by TFR, inter-register
operation, etc. But even if the chip is reseted, contents of
this register does not change. Some people may use this
register to keep constant value (V for value).

3. The MD register
This is a 8 bit register to keep the mode and status of the chip.
The meaning of each bit is as follow.

Read value
bit 7 --- 1 is set if zero division happen.
bit 6 --- 1 is set if illegal instruction is fetched.

Write value
bit 1 --- The mode for FIRQ interrupt.
0 -> the the action for FIRQ is the same as that
of 6809.
1 -> the the action for FIRQ is the same as IRQ.
bit 0 --- The execution mode of 6309.
0 -> the emulation mode.
1 -> the native mode.

(When the chip is reseted, all bits are 0.)

3. ** TWO MODES OF THE 6309 **

The 6309 has two modes, emulation mode and native mode, as described
in the previous section. When the chip is reseted, the initial mode
of 6309 is the emulation mode.

When the 6309 is in the emulation mode, the chip emulates the action
of 6809. But we can use extended registers and extended operations in
this mode. The 6309 executes instructions in the same cycles as 6809
does.
When the 6309 is in the native mode, it executes instructions in
less cycles. And when the chip is interrupted (IRQ, for example),
it pushes extended registers (PC, U, Y, X, DP, W, D, CC, in this
order). If you want to use the 6309, you must rewrite interrupt
handling routine (for example, the entry of system call of OS9).

4. ** TRAPPING **

If the following two events happen, the trap is caused.

1. A illegal instruction is fetched.
2. A number is divided by zero.

The action of the 6309 when a trap is caused is :

1. Pushs the registers on the system stack.
(In the emulation mode, PC, U, Y, X, DP, B, A, CC, in this order
and in the the native mode, PC, U, Y, X, DP, W, B, A, CC in this
order)
2. Reads the trap vector address ($FFF0) and jumps to the vector.
(Note that $FFF0 was reserved by 6809.)

To check the reason of the trap, BITMD instruction is provided. This
instruction is explained in a later section.

5. ** NEW INSTRUCTIONS **

5.1 The Register Addressing Mode
To specify registers in TFR and EXG, the 6809 uses bit pattern of 4 bits.
New registers of the 6309 are specified by bit patterns in TFR and EXG
operations. In addition to that, the bit pattern is also used in
instructions of inter-register operations. We call this bit pattern
used to specify register "register addressing mode".

Bit patterns for new registres are as follows:

W -> 0110,
V -> 0111,
E -> 1110,
F -> 1111.

NOTE: even if the 6309 is in a emulation mode, the action for TFR of 6309
is different from that of the 6809 if new register is specified in
operand. Some hackers found this fact and they guessed that the 6309
has secret registers. At last, they found many features.

5.2 Inter-Register Operations
Operations of 6809 are operations between register and immediate value
or between register and memory. Therefore, we had to store value of
register on memory if opetation between two registers is necessary.
But the 6309 has inter-register operation. Following operations are
provided:
ADDR r0,r1 (ADD of two registers),
ADCR r0,r1 (ADC of two registers),
SUBR r0,r1 (SUB of two registers),
SBCR r0,r1 (SBC of two registers),
ANDR r0,r1 (AND of two registers),
ORR r0,r1 (OR of two registers),
EORR r0,r1 (EOR of two registers),
CMPR r0,r1 (CMP of two registers).
The register addressing mode is used to specify two registers.
(I do not remember exactrlly but the result is stored in r0, the
register of the first operand. Please try and find the behavior of
these instructions.)

5.3 Block Transfer
Block transfer instructions are provided such as Z80 has.
The TFM instruction requires source address and destination address
and block size as its argument. One or two 16 bit registers (X/Y/U/S)
are used to specify source and destination addresses. Block size to be
transfered is specified by the W register.
Four style is provided:
TFR r0+,r1+ (transfered in address is increasing order),
TFR r0-,r1- (transfered in address is decreasing order),
TFR r0+,r1 (poured into the same address, I/O port for instance),
TFR r0,r1+ (read from the same address, I/O port for instance).
I tried this instructions but I do not remember exactly.
Operand registers are pointers of source/destination addresses (,maybe).
Please try and find the behavior of these instructions.

5.4 Multiplication And Division
The 6309 has MULD instruction which performs a 16bit x 16bit multipli-
cation. We can use various addressing modes (immediate, direct, indexed,
extend) The result is stored in the Q register.

Division instructions are also provided. The 6309 has two division
instructions: 16bit / 8bit, 32bit / 16bit divisions.
Various addressing modes (immediate, direct, indexed, extend) can be
used.
(Note:I forget where its result is stored. I tried these instructions.
I remember that modulo is also computed. The quotient and the modulo
are stored D and W resp., maybe. I'm not sure, sorry.)

5.5 Bit Manipulation / Bit Transfer
The 6309 provides AIM, OIM, EIM, TIM instructions which are compatible
with instructions of the Hitachi 6301 CPU. Read the manual of the 6301
to understand thses instructions.

Instructions called BAND, BOR, BEOR, BIAND, BIOR, BIEOR, LDBT, STBT
are provided. Behavior of thses instructions is that a logical
operation is performed for n-th bit of a data in a memory (only direct
mode is allowed) and m-th bit of a register, then the result is stored
in the register. The format of the object is :
$11, x, (post byte), (operand).
The say that the post byte takes strange format. I do not understand
these instructions. Sorry, please try.

5.6 Misc

To change modes ofthe 6309, we have to set the 0th bit of the MD
register. To do this, the LDMD instruction is provided:
LDMD #n (where #n is a immediate n bit data)
When trap is caused, it is necessary to examine the reason of the
trap. The BITMD instruction can be used for this purpose:
BITMD #n (where #n is a immediate n bit data)
The contents of the MD register and #n is ANDed, and changes the CC
register (,maybe, I do not remember exactly).
Once this instruction is executed, the 6th and the 7th bit of the
MD register is CLEARED. Therefore, we can't examine the MD register.

Pushing and poping the W registers on/from stack:
PSHSW (Push the W register on the system stack),
PULSW (Pop the W register from the system stack),
PSHUW (Push the W register on the user stack),
PULUW (Pop the W register from the user stack).

6. ** INSTRUCTION TABLES **

In this section, only additional instructions of the 6309 are
shown.

How to read the following table :
The first column : + ... New instruction of 6309
(blank) ... a instruction of 6089/6309,
--Op-- : Operational code,
--Mnem-- : Mnemonic,
--Mode-- : Addressing mode,
--Cyc-- : Execution Cycles (Parenthesized value is the value
in the native mode),
--Len-- : Length of the instruction,

6.1 Instructions without pre-byte

--Op-- --Mnem-- --Mode-- --Cyc-- --Len --
$00 NEG DIRECT 6 (5) 2
+ $01 OIM DIRECT 6 3
+ $02 AIM DIRECT 6 3
$03 COM DIRECT 6 (5) 2
$04 LSR DIRECT 6 (5) 2
+ $05 EIM DIRECT 6 3
$06 ROR DIRECT 6 (5) 2
$07 ASR DIRECT 6 (5) 2
$08 ASL/LSL DIRECT 6 (5) 2
$09 ROL DIRECT 6 (5) 2
$0A DEC DIRECT 6 (5) 2
+ $0B TIM DIRECT 6 3
$0C INC DIRECT 6 (5) 2
$0D TST DIRECT 6 (4) 2
$0E JMP DIRECT 3 (2) 2
$0F CLR DIRECT 6 (5) 2

$10 (PREBYTE)
$11 (PREBYTE)
$12 NOP IMP 2 (1) 1
$13 SYNC IMP 2 (1) 1
+ $14 SEXW IMP 4 1
$16 LBRA REL 5 (4) 3
$17 LBSR REL 9 (7) 3
$19 DAA IMP 2 (1) 1
$1A ORCC IMMED 3 (2) 2
$1C ANDCC IMMED 3 2
$1D SEX IMP 2 (1) 1
$1E EXG REGIST 8 (5) 2
$1F TFR REGIST 6 (4) 2

$20 BRA REL 3 2
$21 BRN REL 3 2
$22 BHI REL 3 2
$23 BLS REL 3 2
$24 BHS/BCC REL 3 2
$25 BLO/BCS REL 3 2
$26 BNE REL 3 2
$27 BEQ REL 3 2
$28 BVC REL 3 2
$29 BVS REL 3 2
$2A BPL REL 3 2
$2B BMI REL 3 2
$2C BGE REL 3 2
$2D BLT REL 3 2
$2E BGT REL 3 2
$2F BLE REL 3 2

$30 LEAX REL 4+ 2+
$31 LEAY REL 4+ 2+
$32 LEAS REL 4+ 2+
$33 LEAU REL 4+ 2+
$34 PSHS REGIST 5+ (4+) 2
$35 PULS REGIST 5+ (4+) 2
$36 PSHU REGIST 5+ (4+) 2
$37 PULU REGIST 5+ (4+) 2
$39 RTS 5 (4) 1
$3A ABX IMP 3 (1) 1
$3B RTI IMP 6/15 (17) 1
$3C CWAI IMP 22 (20) 2
$3D MUL IMP 11 (10) 1
$3F SWI IMP 19 (21) 1

$40 NEGA IMP 2 (1) 1
$43 COMA IMP 2 (1) 1
$44 LSRA IMP 2 (1) 1
$46 RORA IMP 2 (1) 1
$47 ASRA IMP 2 (1) 1
$48 ASLA/LSLA IMP 2 (1) 1
$49 ROLA IMP 2 (1) 1
$4A DECA IMP 2 (1) 1
$4C INCA IMP 2 (1) 1
$4D TSTA IMP 2 (1) 1
$4F CLRA IMP 2 (1) 1

$50 NEGB IM P 2 (1) 1
$53 COMB IMP 2 (1) 1
$54 LSRB IMP 2 (1) 1
$56 RORB IMP 2 (1) 1
$57 ASRB IMP 2 (1) 1
$58 ASLB/LSLB IMP 2 (1) 1
$59 ROLB IMP 2 (1) 1
$5A ECB IMP 2 (1) 1
$5C NCB IMP 2 (1) 1
$5D STB IMP 2 (1) 1
$5F LRB IMP 2 (1) 1

$60 NEG INDEXD 6+ 2+
+ $61 OIM INDEXD 7+ 3+
+ $62 AIM INDEXD 7 3+
$63 COM INDEXD 6+ 2+
$64 LSR INDEXD 6+ 2+
+ $65 EIM INDEXD 7+ 3+
$66 ROR INDEXD 6+ 2+
$67 ASR INDEXD 6+ 2+
$68 ASL/LSL INDEXD 6+ 2+
$69 ROL INDEXD 6+ 2+
$6A DEC INDEXD 6+ 2+
+ $6B TIM INDEXD 7+ 3+
$6C INC INDEXD 6+ 2+
$6D TST INDEXD 6+ (5+) 2+
$6E JMP INDEXD 3+ 2+
$6F CLR INDEXD 6+ 2+

$70 NEG EXTEND 7 (6) 3
+ $71 OIM EXTEND 7 4
+ $72 AIM EXTEND 7 4
$73 COM EXTEND 7 (6) 3
$74 LSR EXTEND 7 (6) 3
+ $75 EIM EXTEND 7 4
$76 ROR EXTEND 7 (6) 3
$77 ASR EXTEND 7 (6) 3
$78 ASL/LSL EXTEND 7 (6) 3
$79 ROL EXTEND 7 (6) 3
$7A DEC EXTEND 7 (6) 3
+ $7B TIM EXTEND 5 4
$7C INC EXTEND 7 (6) 3
$7D TST EXTEND 7 (5) 3
$7E JMP EXTEND 4 (3) 3
$7F CLR EXTEND 7 (6) 3

$80 SUBA IMMED 2 2
$81 CMPA IMMED 2 2
$82 SBCA IMMED 2 2
$83 SUBD IMMED 4 (3) 3
$84 ANDA IMMED 2 2
$85 BITA IMMED 2 2
$86 LDA IMMED 2 2
$88 EORA IMMED 2 2
$89 ADCA IMMED 2 2
$8A ORA IMMED 2 2
$8B ADDA IMMED 2 2
$8C CMPX IMMED 4 (3) 3
$8D BSR IMMED 7 (6) 2
$8E LDX IMMED 3 3

$90 SUBA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$91 CMPA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$92 SBCA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$93 SUBD DIRECT 6 (4) 3
$94 ANDA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$95 BITA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$96 LDA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$97 STA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$98 EORA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$99 ADCA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$9A ORA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$9B ADDA DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$9C CMPX DIRECT 6 (4) 2
$9D JSR DIRECT 7 (6) 2
$9E LDX DIRECT 5 (4) 2
$9F STX DIRECT 5 (4) 2

$A0 SUBA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A1 CMPA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A2 SBCA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A3 SUBD INDEXD 6+ (5+) 2+
$A4 ANDA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A5 BITA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A6 LDA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A7 STA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A8 EORA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$A9 ADCA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$AA ORA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$AB ADDA INDEXD 4+ 2+
$AC CMPX INDEXD 6+ (5+) 2+
$AD JSR INDEXD 7+ (6+) 2+
$AE LDX INDEXD 5+ 2+
$AF STX INDEXD 5+ 2+

$B0 SUBA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B1 CMPA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B2 SBCA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B3 SUBD EXTEND 7 (5) 3
$B4 ANDA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B5 BITA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B6 LDA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B7 STA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B8 EORA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$B9 ADCA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$BA ORA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$BB ADDA EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$BC CMPX EXTEND 7 (5) 3
$BD JSR EXTEND 8 (7) 3
$BE LDX EXTEND 6 (5) 3
$BF STX EXTEND 6 (5) 3

$C0 SUBB IMMED 2 2
$C1 CMPB IMMED 2 2
$C2 SBCB IMMED 2 2
$C3 ADDD IMMED 4 (3) 3
$C4 ANDB IMMED 2 2
$C5 BITB IMMED 2 2
$C6 LDB IMMED 2 2
$C8 EORB IMMED 2 2
$C9 ADCB IMMED 2 2
$CA ORB IMMED 2 2
$CB ADDB IMMED 2 2
$CC LDD IMMED 3 3
+ $CD LDQ IMMED 5 5
$CE LDU IMMED 3 3

$D0 SUBB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D1 CMPB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D2 SBCB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D3 ADDD DIRECT 6 (4) 3
$D4 ANDB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D5 BITB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D6 LDB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D7 STB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D8 EORB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$D9 ADCB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$DA ORB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$DB ADDB DIRECT 4 (3) 2
$DC LDD DIRECT 5 (4) 2
$DD STD DIRECT 5 (4) 2
$DE LDU DIRECT 5 (4) 2
$DF STU DIRECT 5 (4) 2

$E0 SUBB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E1 CMPB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E2 SBCB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E3 ADDD INDEXD 6+ (5+) 2+
$E4 ANDB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E5 BITB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E6 LDB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E7 STB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E8 EORB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$E9 ADCB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$EA ORB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$EB ADDB INDEXD 4+ 2+
$EC LDD INDEXD 5+ 2+
$ED STD INDEXD 5+ 2+
$EE LDU INDEXD 5+ 2+
$EF STU INDEXD 5+ 2+

$F0 SUBB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F1 CMPB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F2 SBCB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F3 ADDD EXTEND 7 (5) 3
$F4 ANDB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F5 BITB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F6 LDB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F7 STB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F8 EORB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$F9 ADCB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$FA ORB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$FB ADDB EXTEND 5 (4) 3
$FC LDD EXTEND 6 (5) 3
$FD STD EXTEND 6 (5) 3
$FE LDU EXTEND 6 (5) 3
$FF STU EXTEND 6 (5) 3

6.2 Instructions whose pre-byte is $10

--Op-- --Mnem-- --Mode-- --Cyc-- --Len --
$21 LBRN REL 5 4
$22 LBHI REL 5/6 (5) 4
$23 LBLS REL 5/6 (5) 4
$24 LBHS/LBCC REL 5/6 (5) 4
$25 LBLO/LBCS REL 5/6 (5) 4
$26 LBNE REL 5/6 (5) 4
$27 LBEQ REL 5/6 (5) 4
$28 LBVC REL 5/6 (5) 4
$29 LBVS REL 5/6 (5) 4
$2A LBPL REL 5/6 (5) 4
$2B LBMI REL 5/6 (5) 4
$2C LBGE REL 5/6 (5) 4
$2D LBLT REL 5/6 (5) 4
$2E LBGT REL 5/6 (5) 4
$2F LBLE REL 5/6 (5) 4

+ $30 ADDR REGIST 4 3
+ $31 ADCR REGIST 4 3
+ $32 SUBR REGIST 4 3
+ $33 SBCR REGIST 4 3
+ $34 ANDR REGIST 4 3
+ $35 ORR REGIST 4 3
+ $36 EORR REGIST 4 3
+ $37 CMPR REGIST 4 3
+ $38 PSHSW IMP 6 2
+ $39 PULSW IMP 6 2
+ $3A PSHUW IMP 6 2
+ $3B PULUW IMP 6 2
$3F SWI2 IMP 20 (22) 2

+ $40 NEGD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $43 COMD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $44 LSRD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $46 RORD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $47 ASRD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $48 ASLD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $49 ROLD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4A DECD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4C INCD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4D TSTD IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4F CLRD IMP 3 (2) 2

+ $53 COMW IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $54 LSRW IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $56 RORW IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $59 ROLW IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5A DECW IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5C INCW IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5D TSTW IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5F CLRW IMP 3 (2) 2

+ $80 SUBW IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $81 CMPW IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $82 SBCD IMMED 5 (4) 4
$83 CMPD IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $84 ANDD IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $85 BITD IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $86 LDW IMMED 4 4
+ $88 EORD IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $89 ADCD IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $8A ORD IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $8B ADDW IMMED 5 (4) 4
$8C CMPY IMMED 5 (4) 4
$8E LDY IMMED 4 4

+ $90 SUBW DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $91 CMPW DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $92 SBCD DIRECT 7 (5) 3
$93 CMPD DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $94 ANDD DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $95 BITD DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $96 LDW DIRECT 6 (5) 3
+ $97 STW DIRECT 6 (5) 3
+ $98 EORD DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $99 ADCD DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $9A ORD DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $9B ADDW DIRECT 7 (5) 3
$9C CMPY DIRECT 7 (5) 3
$9E LDY DIRECT 6 (5) 3
$9F STY DIRECT 6 (5) 3

+ $A0 SUBW INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $A1 CMPW INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $A2 SBCD INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
$A3 CMPD INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $A4 ANDD INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $A5 BITD INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $A6 LDW INDEXD 6+ 3+
+ $A7 STW INDEXD 6+ 3+
+ $A8 EORD INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $A9 ADCD INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $AA ORD INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $AB ADDW INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
$AC CMPY INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
$AE LDY INDEXD 6+ 3+
$AF STY INDEXD 6+ 3+

+ $B0 SUBW EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $B1 CMPW EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $B2 SBCD EXTEND 8 (6) 4
$B3 CMPD EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $B4 ANDD EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $B5 BITD EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $B6 LDW EXTEND 7 (6) 4
+ $B7 STW EXTEND 7 (6) 4
+ $B8 EORD EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $B9 ADCD EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $BA ORD EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $BB ADDW EXTEND 8 (6) 4
$BC CMPY EXTEND 8 (6) 4
$BE LDY EXTEND 7 (6) 4
$BF STY EXTEND 7 (6) 4

$CE LDS IMMED 4 4

+ $DC LDQ DIRECT 8 (7) 3
+ $DD STQ DIRECT 8 (7) 3
$DE LDS DIRECT 6 (5) 3
$DF STS DIRECT 6 (5) 3

+ $EC LDQ INDEXD 8+ 3+
+ $ED STQ INDEXD 8+ 3+
$EE LDS INDEXD 6+ 3+
$EF STS INDEXD 6+ 3+

+ $FC LDQ EXTEND 9 (8) 4
+ $FD STQ EXTEND 9 (8) 4
$FE LDS EXTEND 7 (6) 4
$FF STS EXTEND 7 (6) 4

6.3 Instructions whose pre-byte is $11

--Op-- --Mnem-- --Mode-- --Cyc-- --Len --
+ $30 BAND 7 (6) 4
+ $31 BIAND 7 (6) 4
+ $32 BOR 7 (6) 4
+ $33 BIOR 7 (6) 4
+ $34 NEOR 7 (6) 4
+ $35 BIEOR 7 (6) 4
+ $36 LDBT 7 (6) 4
+ $37 STBT 8 (7) 4
+ $38 TFR (r1+,r2+) 6+3n 3
+ $39 TFR (r1-,r2-) 6+3n 3
+ $3A TFR (r1+,r) 6+3n 3
+ $3B TFR (r1,r2+) 6+3n 3
+ $3C BITMD IMMED 4 3
+ $3D LDMD IMMED 5 3
$3F SWI2 IMP 20 (22) 2

+ $43 COME IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4A DECE IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4C INCE IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4D TSTE IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $4F CLRE IMP 3 (2) 2

+ $53 COMF IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5A DECF IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5C INCF IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5D TSTF IMP 3 (2) 2
+ $5F CLRF IMP 3 (2) 2

+ $80 SUBE IMMED 3 3
+ $81 CMPE IMMED 3 3
$83 CMPU IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $86 LDE IMMED 3 3
+ $8B ADDE IMMED 3 3
$8C CMPS IMMED 5 (4) 4
+ $8D DIVD IMMED 25 3
+ $8E DIVQ IMMED 34 4
+ $8F MULD IMMED 28 4

+ $90 SUBE DIRECT 5 (4) 3
+ $91 CMPE DIRECT 5 (4) 3
$93 CMPU DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $96 LDE DIRECT 5 (4) 3
+ $97 STE DIRECT 5 (4) 3
+ $9B ADDE DIRECT 5 (4) 3
$9C CMPS DIRECT 7 (5) 3
+ $9D DIVD DIRECT 27 (26) 3
+ $9E DIVQ DIRECT 36 (35) 3
+ $9F MULD DIRECT 30 (29) 3

+ $A0 SUBE INDEXD 5+ 3+
+ $A1 CMPE INDEXD 5+ 3+
$A3 CMPU INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $A6 LDE INDEXD 5+ 3+
+ $A7 STE INDEXD 5+ 3+
+ $AB ADDE INDEXD 5+ 3+
$AC CMPS INDEXD 7+ (6+) 3+
+ $AD DIVD INDEXD 27+ 3+
+ $AE DIVQ INDEXD 36+ 3+
+ $AF MULD INDEXD 30+ 3+

+ $B0 SUBE EXTEND 6 (5) 4
+ $B1 CMPE EXTEND 6 (5) 4
$B3 CMPU EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $B6 LDE EXTEND 6 (5) 4
+ $B7 STE EXTEND 6 (5) 4
+ $BB ADDE EXTEND 6 (5) 4
$BC CMPS EXTEND 8 (6) 4
+ $BD DIVD EXTEND 28 (27) 4
+ $BE DIVQ EXTEND 37 (36) 4
+ $BF MULD EXTEND 31 (30) 4

+ $C0 SUBF IMMED 3 3
+ $C1 CMPF IMMED 3 3
+ $C6 LDF IMMED 3 3
+ $CB ADDF IMMED 3 3

+ $D0 SUBF DIRECT 5 (4) 3
+ $D1 CMPF DIRECT 5 (4) 3
+ $D6 LDF DIRECT 5 (4) 3
+ $D7 STF DIRECT 5 (4) 3
+ $DB ADDF DIRECT 5 (4) 3

+ $E0 SUBF INDEXD 5+ 3+
+ $E1 CMPF INDEXD 5+ 3+
+ $E6 LDF INDEXD 5+ 3+
+ $E7 STF INDEXD 5+ 3+
+ $EB ADDF INDEXD 5+ 3+

+ $F0 SUBF EXTEND 6 (5) 4
+ $F1 CMPF EXTEND 6 (5) 4
+ $F6 LDF EXTEND 6 (5) 4
+ $F7 STF EXTEND 6 (5) 4
+ $FB ADDF EXTEND 6 (5) 4

<EOF>

===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===

--
Hirotsugu Kakugawa
Computer Systems Lab., Information Engineering Course,
Graduate School of Engineering, Hiroshima Univ., Japan

Hirotsugu Kakugawa

Feb 24, 1992, 9:56:25 AM2/24/92

In article <kdarling....@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu> kdar...@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

>A friend of mine has been running 63C09s (the "3MHz" speed version)
>for the last two years in production embedded systems at -5- MHz.

I have heard that some 63C09s can be used at 4MHz (and some doesn't
work at the clock frequency).

But I've never heard that it works at 5MHz. I'ts really great!!
Isn't it necessary to choose a chip which works at 5MHz among
many 63C09s ???

Kevin Darling

Mar 5, 1992, 4:08:52 PM3/5/92
THANK YOU, Hirotsugu Kakugawa!!

You may have just changed 6x09 popular computing history around here :)
We really appreciate the time and effort you took to create your posting!

I have an old Hitachi 63HC09E in my CoCo-3, running OS-9 L-II. Output of
a test program copying 64 bytes, before and after, using the 6309 opcode
for block copy "TFR X+,Y+":

Addr 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 0 2 4 6 8 A C E
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----------------
0000 7468 6973 2069 7320 6174 6573 7420 6F66 this is atest of SOURCE
0010 2074 6865 206D 3633 3039 2062 6C6F 636B the m6309 block
0020 2063 6F70 7920 6D6F 6465 200D 0000 0000 copy mode .....
0030 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ................
0040 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ................ DESTINATION
0050 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ................ (BEFORE)
0060 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ................
0070 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ................

0000 7468 6973 2069 7320 6174 6573 7420 6F66 this is atest of SOURCE
0010 2074 6865 206D 3633 3039 2062 6C6F 636B the m6309 block
0020 2063 6F70 7920 6D6F 6465 200D 0000 0000 copy mode .....
0030 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ................
0040 7468 6973 2069 7320 6174 6573 7420 6F66 this is atest of DESTINATION
0050 2074 6865 206D 3633 3039 2062 6C6F 636B the m6309 block (AFTER!)
0060 2063 6F70 7920 6D6F 6465 200D 0000 0000 copy mode .....
0070 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ................

So it works! So does the other code I tested: 32-bit by 16-bit division.
holding $0020 0F42... which correctly equals $F42 (3906) and remainder of 32!

Many thanks again! Okay gentlemen, now we need an assembler... and a
patch for the L-II kernel to handle the native mode stack. Gee, what
you could do to the CoCo-3 graphics GRFDRV driver with this stuff!
- kevin <kdar...@catt.ncsu.edu>

(Really crude test code for OS-9 L-II follows. I did the following to
get the above result (plus show division results)

OS9> asm xfr.a o=/r0/xfr
OS9> load /r0/xfr
OS9> xfr this is atest of the 6309 block copy mode ! dump

* xfr - test 6309 xfr mode

ifp1
use /dd/defs/defsfile
endc

MOD len,nam,type,revs,start,msize

nam FCS /xfr/
type SET $11 PRGRM+OBJCT
revs SET $81 REENT+1

qtest rmb 4
divtest rmb 4
src rmb 64
dest rmb 64
vars RMB 250 stack
msize EQU .

start
* clear src and dest for test
pshs b
leay src,u
ldb #128
clear
clr ,y+
decb
bne clear
puls b

* copy command line parameters to src
leay src,u
copyparm
lda ,x+
sta ,y+
subb #1
bne copyparm

* dump both to stdout so we can see "before" state

leax src,u
lda #1
ldy #128
os9 I$Write

* now do 6309 block copy!

fdb $1086,$0040 LDW #64 (do 64 bytes)
leax src,u
leay dest,u
fdb $1138 TFR r0+,r1+
fcb $12 (using x,y... see 6809 reference card)

* dump both to stdout so we can see the "after" state

leax src,u
lda #1
ldy #128
os9 I$Write

* DIVQ test tacked on:

fcb $CD ldq #500000
fdb $0007,$A120

fcb $10,$DD,$00 stq <qtest
fdb $118E,$0080 divq #128

fcb $10,$DD,$04 stq <divtest

leax qtest,u dump before/after Q values
lda #1
ldy #8
os9 I$Write

clrb
OS9 F$Exit

EMOD
len EQU *
END

Kevin Darling

Mar 6, 1992, 8:44:39 AM3/6/92
Another note:

A friend of mine has been running 63C09s (the "3MHz" speed version)
for the last two years in production embedded systems at -5- MHz.

kevin <kdar...@catt.ncsu.edu> <76703...@compuserve.com>

Kevin Darling

Mar 7, 1992, 1:27:50 PM3/7/92
Hirotsugu Kakugawa writes:
>> A friend of mine has been running 63C09s (the "3MHz" speed version)
>> for the last two years in production embedded systems at -5- MHz.
>
>I have heard that some 63C09s can be used at 4MHz (and some doesn't
>work at the clock frequency).
>But I've never heard that it works at 5MHz. It's really great!!
>Isn't it necessary to choose a chip which works at 5MHz among
>many 63C09s ???

I just called him to ask. He says his company has built about two
dozen 63C09-based boards, and all have run at 5Mhz for 2-3 years.
He did say he found one cpu chip which wouldn't, altho he didn't
try it at the rated 3MHz speed to see if it was good at all or not.

His other tips: the RAM/ROM/glue must (of course) also be capable
of operating at 5Mhz. In fact, he ended up implementing a DTACK
circuit and using 68K peripheral chips... because normal 68xx
peripherals won't work at that high a speed.

regards - kevin <kdar...@catt.ncsu.edu> <76703...@compuserve.com>

Takeshi Miyazaki

Mar 21, 1992, 12:43:35 PM3/21/92

Undocumented feautures are the feautures that is not tested fully by the
manufacturer. Use with your own risk.

Also, if you want to use at higher frequency than specified, use with
care. There may be critical paths which can occur only in special
cases you might not know.

Usually there is the margin between actual speed limit and the spec.
6309 is an old chip, so it should have a lot of margin. But anyway, be
careful.

--
Takeshi Miyazaki (miya...@ee.princeton.edu)

Kevin Darling

Mar 22, 1992, 6:12:13 AM3/22/92
Takeshi Miyazaki writes:
> Undocumented feautures are the feautures that is not tested fully by the
> manufacturer. Use with your own risk.

Good advice! But I think it'll be greatly ignored in this case :-)

BTW, there's been some discussion on the CoCoList out of princeton.edu
about why Hitachi didn't publicize the extra codes. One possibility that
was raised revolves around the probability that the 6309's 6809 emulation
was done in microcode (apparently the 6301 chip was done this way)...
and that perhaps the engineer who did the coding simply threw in extra
unofficial opcodes because he had microROM and register space left over.

In other words, as a prank :-) Such a romantic notion is very appealing.

H. Kakugawa, did the magazine article detail how the authors found the
codes? Had they been given a hint about their existence, or did they
find everything starting from the TFR reg,reg operation? Were they
home hackers, or engineers, or ?? Not that it really matters, but it's
interesting to conjecture whether Hitachi had even commissioned the codes!

And if this unknown engineer did put them in on his own, isn't it possible
that he also programmed the test equipment to check them? <wider grin>

PS: A note from pau...@sail.LABS.TEK.COM: to find your local Hitachi rep,
call 1-800-634-2248. In his area (Beaverton, Oregon), he found a
place selling HD63C09EPs for ~$7.50 each, in quantities of 25.

best - kevin <kdar...@catt.ncsu.edu>

Takeshi Miyazaki

Mar 22, 1992, 9:25:54 AM3/22/92
>And if this unknown engineer did put them in on his own, isn't it possible
>that he also programmed the test equipment to check them? <wider grin>

6309 use a very mature process. Yield is very high. Probably these
fuction works for most of the chip. But do with your own risk. Nobody
guarantees.

Testing adds the cost. Some ten cents for 1 ms or such. Usually
manufacturer doesn't want to add unnecessary test pattern.

--
Takeshi Miyazaki (miya...@ee.princeton.edu)

Carl Kreider

Mar 25, 1992, 10:19:09 AM3/25/92
kdar...@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

>BTW, there's been some discussion on the CoCoList out of princeton.edu
>about why Hitachi didn't publicize the extra codes. One possibility that
>was raised revolves around the probability that the 6309's 6809 emulation
>was done in microcode (apparently the 6301 chip was done this way)...
>and that perhaps the engineer who did the coding simply threw in extra
>unofficial opcodes because he had microROM and register space left over.

I seems much more likely that Hitachi did it on purpose. They (if memory
serves) got microprocessor technology in exchange for cmos [ram?] technology.
But they developed a habit of enhancing the products. Which ticked Mot off.
They lost market share to the enhanced Hitachi parts. We used the 6301
instead of the 6501 because of the extra features. But Mot sued. Hitachi
can't make 6301s any more and we can't get them. So we have to re-design
the product, but that is another story. In any case, *my* guess is that
Hitachi planned to do the same thing with the 6309, but had to keep quiet
about the enhancements to stay out of court. It is a fact that the chips
run faster than 3 Mhz and it is a fact that Hitachi can't sell them as
faster because of license agreements with Mot.
--
Carl Kreider Usenet ....!nstar!syscon!carl
CIS 71076,76 Internet ca...@syscon.rn.com

Kevin Darling

Mar 27, 1992, 4:39:43 AM3/27/92
Carl Kreider writes:
>>[theory] that perhaps the engineer who did the coding simply threw in extra

>>unofficial opcodes because he had microROM and register space left over.
>
>I seems much more likely that Hitachi did it on purpose.

I agree... but it's amusing to conjecture otherwise :-)

>[...] It is a fact that the chips

>run faster than 3 Mhz and it is a fact that Hitachi can't sell them as
>faster because of license agreements with Mot.

Yah, plus we've known for years that Hitachi knew how to speed up the 6809
opcodes... but again, was restricted by license agreements. Altho as we've
now been told, it was done anyway.

BTW, there's something interesting about the 6309 enhanced opcodes: some
instructions are "missing". For example, there's RORW/ROLW/LSRW, but no
ASL/ASR/LSLW! The 6301 TIM/AIM etc operations only have the direct mode.
The logic operations added for the D register aren't implemented for W.
If planned as an official upgrade, it looks uncompleted in some ways.

best regards - kevin <kdar...@catt.ncsu.edu>

Walter Zambotti DEC

Mar 29, 1992, 9:29:36 PM3/29/92
Hi people,

Kevin writes :

>BTW, there's something interesting about the 6309 enhanced opcodes: some
>instructions are "missing". For example, there's RORW/ROLW/LSRW, but no
>ASL/ASR/LSLW! The 6301 TIM/AIM etc operations only have the direct mode.
>The logic operations added for the D register aren't implemented for W.
>If planned as an official upgrade, it looks uncompleted in some ways.

COMW NEGW
LSRW
RORW ROLW
DECW INCW
TSTW
CLRW
SUBW IMMEDIATE DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED
CMPW IMMEDIATE DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED
LDW IMMEDIATE DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED
ADDW IMMEDIATE DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED
STW DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED

If we look at a section of the opcode table for the 6309 we see :

+ $40 NEGD IMP
+ $43 COMD IMP + $53 COMW IMP
+ $44 LSRD IMP + $54 LSRW IMP
+ $46 RORD IMP + $56 RORW IMP
+ $47 ASRD IMP
+ $48 ASLD IMP
+ $49 ROLD IMP + $59 ROLW IMP
+ $4A DECD IMP + $5A DECW IMP
+ $4C INCD IMP + $5C INCW IMP
+ $4D TSTD IMP + $5D TSTW IMP
+ $4F CLRD IMP + $5F CLRW IMP

That all the instructions for the D register are also there for the W
register but as Kevin pointed out no ASRW or ASLW but we can easily see
the gap that is there that should contain these instructions. Maybe
someone with a 6309 can try these opcodes add see if they actually are
really missing!!!

AIM DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED
OIM DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED
EIM DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED
TIM DIRECT INDEXED EXTENDED

I think you miss read here Kevin because in the memo I found that AIM,
OIM, EIM, TIM claim to support the above addressing modes. From the
memo :

>>The 6309 provides AIM, OIM, EIM, TIM instructions which are compatible
>>with instructions of the Hitachi 6301 CPU. Read the manual of the 6301
>>to understand thses instructions.

>>Instructions called BAND, BOR, BEOR, BIAND, BIOR, BIEOR, LDBT, STBT
>>are provided. Behavior of thses instructions is that a logical
>>operation is performed for n-th bit of a data in a memory (only direct
>>mode is allowed) and m-th bit of a register, then the result is stored
>>in the register. The format of the object is :
>> $11, x, (post byte), (operand).
>>The say that the post byte takes strange format. I do not understand
>>these instructions. Sorry, please try.

The "(only direct mode is allowed)" applies to the BAND, BOR, BEOR,
BIAND, BIOR, BIEOR, LDBT, STBT instructions I would think.

Would anyone like to comment on how these work!?!

Also Peter Wabbit writes :

>[...] It is a fact that the chips
>run faster than 3 Mhz and it is a fact that Hitachi can't sell them as
>faster because of license agreements with Mot.

Would anyone like to comment what is safe upper limit for the Mhz rating
for the 6309!?!

Anyway it appears that there is a whole lot of unanswered and
unresolved/unfound features in this 6309. I would wager a fair bet that
there is still more to find.

So lastly I leave you with my thoughts on the 6309 (extract from a mailing) :

To: decwrl::"mi...@htsmm1.Las-Vegas.NV.US (MAIL-11 Daemon)"
cc:
Subject: Re: 6309.txt - Secret Features
--------
Hello Mike,

thanks for your letter.

This leaves many unanswered questions!

If you know of the extra information I am about to request then please
supply if you have time otherwise please respond anyway that you dont
know.

1. What is the real purpose of the V register?

This register has been supplied but the only instruction that effects it
is the tfr instruction. This make it usefullness extremely limited
because it cannot be saved to the stack during interupts. This would
have to be a kernel only use register in order to guarentee that no
other process changed the contents.

"Or there are undiscovered instructions for is use!?! (wz)"

2. Division

The quotient is stored into the W register; the modulo (remainder) in D.

Is this true of both 16/8 and 32/16 bit divisions? This would work fine
for 16/8 bit division but would fall short for 32/16 bit division. Why!
Because
any 32 bit number devided by the value 1 (and many other small values)
yields a quotient which is also 32 bits in length and the W register
isn't long enough to store this result. Are you sure this is not a
16/16 bit divide instruction?

3. Bit manipulation.

For those of use"us" who cannot obtain a 6301 manual can you please
discuss the use of the instructions :

AIM, OIM, EIM, TIM

Also the instructions :

BAND, BOR, BEOR, BIAND, BIOR, BIEOR, LDBT, STBT

What do they do ?

BAND - Bit AND ???
BOR - Bit OR ???
BEOR - Bit Exclusive OR ???
BIAND - ??? what's the difference between this and BAND
BIOR - ???
BIEOR - ???
LDBT - LoaD ByTe ???
STBT - STore ByTe ???

and what is the format for the post-byte, operand?

To be able to specify :

which register
which n-th bit of data
which m-th bit of register

would require

type 1 ???
two bits to specify which register (A,B,E,F)
3 bits to specify with n-th bit of data (0-7)
3 bits to specify which m-th bit of register (0-7)

or type 2 ???
two bits to specify which register (A,B,E,F)
3 bits to specify start n-th bit of data and register (0-7)
3 bits to specify end m-th bit of data and register (0-7)

so format ???might??? look like :

Bit - 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
use - R R N N N M M M
\ / \ / \ /
register n-th m-th

is this the sort of thing I should be looking for???

type one would allow this sort of thing :

BAND R0,0,3 <DirectByte

this would AND bit 0 of of register R0 with bit 3 of direct page
location DirectByte and store result in R0 (possibly CC effected as
well?) ???

type two would allow this sort of thing :

BAND R0,4,0 <DirectByte

this would AND bits 0-3 of register R0 with bits 0-3 of direct page
location DirectByte and store the result in R0 (possibly CC effected as
well?) ???

Does anyone know ???

4. Seperate PSH instruction for W register.

Well obviously this is required because there are no bits left over in
the PSH[S/U] instruction to specify a an additional register. So in
order to remain compatiable with 6809 PSH it was necessary to provide a
seperate instruction.

But this would lead to an inefficient PSH PUL strategy i.e.

it takes 4 cycles + 1 cycle for every byte pushed with PSH so to push
all the 6809 registers it would take

4 + 2 (PC) + 2 (U) + 2 (Y) + 2 (X) + 1 (DP) + 1 (B) + 1 (A) + 1 (CC)

4 + 12

16 cycles (17 cycles on a real 6809)

To push an additional 2 byte would make that 18 cycles but instead we
have to take 16 + 6 or 22 cycles to perform two seperate PSH
instructions.

This seems to go against the the whole idea of reducing the cycle count
for instructions. There may be a different additional PSH instruction
to compenate for this and the only reason for providing special PSH PUL
instructions for the W register was to maintain compatibility with 6809
PSH PUL.

In order to do this and still specify all the register in one byte such
a new PSH PUL instrcution (if one does exist) would require the merging
of two one byte registers into a word. Obvious candidates for this are
the A & B registers which would all ways be pushed as D so you would
have a PSH register specify byte like so :

BIT - 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
Reg - PC U Y X DP D W CC

That"s" about all I can think of off hand.

Have you tried contacting Hitachi and asking them for the extended
technical specifications for the 6309 ???

"If you talk to the right person you may get the information you want!!! (wz)"

Walter

Walter Zambotti DEC

Mar 29, 1992, 10:56:19 PM3/29/92
Hi people,

this is my second attempt at getting this followup through so if you get
a similar second copy somewhere then disregard one or the other. Or if
you really like reading my waffle then read both and subscribe for the
additional and optional third followup.

Hi Kevin, (Kevin writes) :

>BTW, there's something interesting about the 6309 enhanced opcodes: some
>instructions are "missing". For example, there's RORW/ROLW/LSRW, but no
>ASL/ASR/LSLW! The 6301 TIM/AIM etc operations only have the direct mode.
>The logic operations added for the D register aren't implemented for W.
>If planned as an official upgrade, it looks uncompleted in some ways.

First the missing ASL/ASR/LSLW instructions. Playing Sherlock enables
us to find the following information from the "Secret Memo".

Pre byte is $10 for all the following ops.

+ $40 NEGD IMP
+ $43 COMD IMP + $53 COMW IMP
+ $44 LSRD IMP + $54 LSRW IMP
+ $46 RORD IMP + $56 RORW IMP
+ $47 ASRD IMP
+ $48 ASLD IMP
+ $49 ROLD IMP + $59 ROLW IMP
+ $4A DECD IMP + $5A DECW IMP
+ $4C INCD IMP + $5C INCW IMP
+ $4D TSTD IMP + $5D TSTW IMP
+ $4F CLRD IMP + $5F CLRW IMP

I have only listed the IMP instructions but the same can be shown for
all the other addressing modes.

It appears (as Kevin noted) that there are some missing instructions to
the extended set. It appears very strange that the opcode numbering has
these gaps and maybe the instructions really are there. Could someone
with a 6309 try one of the missing instructions and report back if it is
isn't there.

Although the missing instructions can be aproximated even if they are
not there :

ASRW ==> LSRW
ASLW ==> ANDCC #%11111110 ; RORW
LSLW ==> ANDCC #%11111110 ; RORW

Lack of addressing modes for AIM, OIM, EIM, TIM. From the memo I find
that these instructions support the followinf modes :

+ $02 AIM DIRECT 6 3

+ $62 AIM INDEXD 7 3+

+ $72 AIM EXTEND 7 4

and the same goes for OIM, EIM, TIM. I think what Kevin refers to are the :

BAND, BOR, BEOR, BIAND, BIOR, BIEOR, LDBT, STBT

instructions which only support DIRECT mode.

Can anyone comment on these instructions, what they do etc.

Logic operations for the W register :

+ $14 SEXW IMP
+ $53 COMW IMP
+ $54 LSRW IMP
+ $56 RORW IMP
+ $59 ROLW IMP
+ $5A DECW IMP
+ $5C INCW IMP
+ $5D TSTW IMP
+ $5F CLRW IMP
+ $80 SUBW IMMED DIRECT INDEXD EXTEND
+ $81 CMPW IMMED DIRECT INDEXD EXTEND
+ $86 LDW IMMED DIRECT INDEXD EXTEND
+ $8B ADDW IMMED DIRECT INDEXD EXTEND
+ $97 STW DIRECT INDEXD EXTEND

I found these operations for the W register it may not cover everything
but its not bad!?!

Peter Rabbit rights :

>[...] It is a fact that the chips
>run faster than 3 Mhz and it is a fact that Hitachi can't sell them as
>faster because of license agreements with Mot.

Would anyone like to comment as to what the upper safe mhz limit of this
chip is !?!

It appears that there are still lots of unaswered questions which
probabaly means that there is still lots of undiscovered features still
waiting to be found.

I leave you with some mail from myself to a third party that asks still
more questions :

To: decwrl::"mi...@htsmm1.Las-Vegas.NV.US (MAIL-11 Daemon)"
cc:
--------
Hello Mike,

thanks for your letter.

This leaves many unanswered questions!

If you know of the extra information I am about to request then please
supply if you have time otherwise please respond anyway that you dont
know.

1. What is the real purpose of the V register?

This register has been supplied but the only instruction that effects it
is the tfr instruction. This make it usefullness extremely limited
because it cannot be saved to the stack during interupts. This would
have to be a kernel only use register in order to guarentee that no
other process changed the contents.

"Or that there are still undiscovered instructions that use the V
register (wz)"

2. Division

The quotient is stored into the W register; the modulo (remainder) in D.

Is this true of both 16/8 and 32/16 bit divisions? This would work fine
for 16/8 bit division but would fall short for 32/16 bit division. Why!
Because
any 32 bit number devided by the value 1 (and many other small values)
yields a quotient which is also 32 bits in length and the W register
isn't long enough to store this result. Are you sure this is not a
16/16 bit divide instruction?

3. Bit manipulation.

For those of use who cannot obtain a 6301 manual can you please discuss

the use of the instructions :

AIM, OIM, EIM, TIM

Also the instructions :

BAND, BOR, BEOR, BIAND, BIOR, BIEOR, LDBT, STBT

What do they do ?

would require

BAND R0,0,3 <DirectByte

BAND R0,4,0 <DirectByte

Does anyone know ???

4 + 12

"If you talk to the right person you may get the information you want (wz)"

Walter

Kevin Darling

Mar 30, 1992, 2:51:51 AM3/30/92
zamb...@wpowz.enet.dec.com (Walter Zambotti DEC) writes:

[Hi Walter! Mike H had also sent your questions in email, but I'll post
here instead.]

> [..] all the instructions for the D register are also there for the W

> register but as Kevin pointed out no ASRW or ASLW but we can easily see
> the gap that is there that should contain these instructions. Maybe
> someone with a 6309 can try these opcodes add see if they actually are
> really missing!!!

I did try it :-) The gap was too obvious. And it "blows up real good",
as they say. Maybe it's just my chip? Someone else should try that one.

> I think you misread here Kevin because in the memo I found that AIM,

> OIM, EIM, TIM claim to support the above addressing modes.

You're right; I goofed on those! I'd made a short program to create
an instruction reference card from H.K.'s posting, but the xIMs I added
by hand... and missed seeing that the other address modes were there.
Thanks for pointing that out!

> What is the real purpose of the V register?

Yah, it's not much use in a multitasking system unless the kernel itself
transfers/stacks it. Which it could. Or as you suggested, the kernel
could use it for its own purpose: I've thought of using it to hold
a FIRQ-driven sound pointer, for instance.

> Division

DIVD divides D by a value, stores quotient in B, remainder in A
DIVQ divides Q by a value, stores quotient in W, remainder in D.

If you divide a large number by 1, then you probably get an overflow
error, just as with the 68000/etc. One of the perils of divide :^)

> Bit manipulation.

AIM, OIM, EIM, TIM - these and/or/eor/test an immediate byte value
with a destination byte. For instance, to AND the value at direct
page address <$03 with the value $55, the opcode is 02 55 03.

BAND, BOR, BEOR, BIAND, BIOR, BIEOR, LDBT, STBT - sounds like they
do only one bit at a time. And/or/eor/and, plus maybe Inverted and/or/eor?
The xxbt sounds like load/store bit (for testing or set/clear?). Dunno.
We'll just have to experiment to find out them and their postbytes.
I guess you'd better start on this soon :-) :-)

> Seperate PSH instruction for W register.

Not so inefficient; in native mode the 6309 pushes it during interrupts.
Other code can probably avoid pushing it wherever possible. The extra
push/pull time will be offset by the decrease in need to push the old
regs as much as before, anyway... since we have more regs to use.

cheers - kev <kdar...@catt.ncsu.edu> <76703...@compuserve.com>

Walter Zambotti DEC

Mar 30, 1992, 10:01:40 PM3/30/92
Hi people,

Just as a point of interest ...:::!!!

Could the person/people responsible for determining the cycle lengths
for the 6309 in native mode please write a short article about how this
information was determine.

This is no gripe! I am honestly (must be lying. he said honestly)
would like to know how this was done.

Question. What is the additional cycle length of the 6309 indexed
instructions?

Are the cycle time additions the same as the 6809 or does the 6309
perform these more efficiently?

The table from Lance A. Leventhal shows :-

Form 6809 Cycles + 6309 cycles + (please fill in and return)
,R 0
5bit,R 1
8bit,R 1
16bit,R 4 (rude)
A,R 1
B,R 1
D,R 4 (rude)
,R+ 2
,R++ 3
,-R 2
,--R 3
8bit,pcr 1
16bit,pcr 5 (ruder)
[,R] 3
[8bit,R] 4
[16bit,R] 7 (groser)
[A,R] 4
[B,R] 4
[D,R] 7 (groser)
[,R++] 6 (grose)
[,--R] 6 (grose)
[8bit,pcr] 4
[16bit,pcr] 8 (grosest)
[16bit] 5 (ruder)

I have my fingers crossed that the 6309 is a little more effiecient than
these figures!!!

Walter