how do i connect my laptop and desktop?

ry

Nov 22, 2001, 1:10:36 AM11/22/01
my desktop has a netgear USB ethernet adapter, and my laptop has a
ethernet card built in. i have a crossover cable. I have no idea what
to do on the software side of things. i have them both set to the same
workgroup. I have hard drives shared. But in network neighborhood, i
cant see either of them. What do i need to do in windows? (desktop is
98 laptop is 98se)

AJ

Nov 22, 2001, 7:58:21 AM11/22/01

When connecting two computers together you need a crossover cable.
They are often yellow and have a sticker saying "crossover". The
standard (grey) cable will not work.

Jon Parker

Nov 22, 2001, 3:54:52 PM11/22/01
In article <3bfcf4fb.1102816@news>, aj...@hotmail.comremove spoke the
words...

Er, the OP did actually say he has a crossover cable.
--
Jon Parker
Norwich, Norfolk

Jon Parker

Nov 22, 2001, 4:22:58 PM11/22/01
In article <3BFC96EB...@mediaone.net>, rcr...@mediaone.net spoke
the words...

You need to assign each machine an Ip address. Right click network
neighbourhood, click properties, in the configuration tab scroll down and
find where it says TCP/IP -> <your network card>, click properties,
assign one of your machines as IP 192.168.1.1 and put subnet mask to
255.255.255.0. On the other machine do the same but put the IP address as
192.168.1.2

Hope this helps.

cptnkirk

Nov 22, 2001, 11:43:14 PM11/22/01
Just run the Home Networking wizard,it should set all
the Network settings for you.It will ask you if you want file and print
sharing and Turn them on for you.Once that's done you will have to goto each
individual drive you want tot share and set it as shared under individual
drive properties,so you can see it on the other computer.

"ry" <rcr...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

richard

Nov 23, 2001, 1:08:14 PM11/23/01
my crossover cable is a standard grey cable......

aj...@hotmail.comremove

Dennis Webber

Nov 24, 2001, 12:50:54 AM11/24/01

If all you want to do is share files, the best approach is to use a USB
cable.

Advantages include low cost (about $30), easy to use (just plug it into both
computer's USB ports, even while the computers are on) and no hassles to
configure (in fact nothing to configure, the drivers are supplied in a
floppy as well as the connection software, which looks like two copies of
explore, one for the laptop, one for the desktop.)

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.csensors.com/smart-linq.html
http://www.csensors.com/ulk003.html
http://www.connectworld.net/iec/adp3181.html
http://www.lpt.com/Products/HomeNetworkingAndLowCostICS/homenetworkingandlow
costics.htm
http://www.csensors.com/bf100c.html

Jason Court

Nov 22, 2001, 11:53:51 AM11/22/01
he says that he has a cross over cable.

This is where windows xp shines over all others. Its much much easier to do
this with windows xp's connectivity wizard. When I first bought my laptop,
it came with win98se. I wanted to xfer all my files from my desktop to my
laptop (so that I could get rid of the desktop). My desktop had winxp and
it was easy to set up the transfer from that side. Unfortunately Win98se
wasn't so kind and I actually ended up wiping win98se to winxp so that I
could do the transfer. I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually, but
installing a new os did the trick for me.

jason

"AJ" <aj...@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

Jason Court

Nov 22, 2001, 10:20:47 PM11/22/01
Thats only if you are making a network and connecting to the internet at the
same time.

is it not?

jason

"Jon Parker" <jon.parkerN...@vizzavi.net> wrote in message