USB 2 Card Bus for DELL Laptop

Chungacs

Jul 11, 2003, 4:08:47 AM7/11/03
My system is a DEll Lattitude C640. The spec under PC Card says : Card Bus
Controller - Texas Iinstru PCI1420 CarBus Controller.

I bought a 2 port USB 2.0 which comes with its power supply (5V DC, 1000mA).
After attaching it to the card slot( this supports 2 type I or II cards or 1
type III card) and installing the drivers, I checked My
Comp/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager and saw under USB Controllers:-
~ NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
~USB 2.0 Root Hub Device.
So have i properly set up the cardbus? The problem is i can't get any usb
device like mouse, thumb drive etc to work when i plug it into one of the 2
ports available. When i turn on the power supply that comes with the card, I
get the message " Power surge on hub port- a usb device has exceeded the
power limits of its hub port."

Can someone help me figure out what i did wrong or i missed? Thanks .

Quaoar

Jul 11, 2003, 12:24:15 PM7/11/03

"Enhanced" is the key to its being Hi-Speed USB (formerly USB 2), so
that's OK. What does the Root Hub properties report for power
consumption, empty, connected w/o external power, and connected w/
external power?

Also, did you install the drivers before inserting the card? This can
be important for a stable driver installation. You might remove the USB
and card (in that order) from device manager with the card inserted.
Shut down, remove the card, boot, and install the drivers before
inserting the card.

Musashi

Jul 11, 2003, 2:38:32 PM7/11/03
Similarly on my Dell8500. I tried everything that I could think of and
everything suggested to me. Downloaded the drivers from the
manufacturer to see if that would help. Nada.

When I took it back to CompUSA they didn't seem suprised and said they
get them back all of the time for the reasons I described.

Good luck tho, maybe you can get it to work.

Musashi

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:08:47 +0800, "Chungacs" <chun...@streamyx.com>