Toshiba Tecra 8000 with Direct3D or OpenGL

java...@email.com

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99

I while ago, johnqliu <john...@earthlink.net> sent en post on a thread with
the same title as this one, saying that the NeoMagic drivers supplied for the
Toshiba Tecra 8000 support some form of Direct3D acceleration.

Here an extract of a report created with Sisoft Sandra Professionnal when
running a test on DirectX capabilities.

As you can see there is no reported 3d capabilites on this graphic card.

Also even if the computer is made for business purpose, it does mean that I
will never run games on it. And if the video card is advertised with 3D
capabilities, I can expect it to REALLY have those capabilities availlable.

Also M. Mark J. Lieberman DDS <mjl...@ix.netcom.com> from Team Toshiba is not
very helpfull is assisting Toshiba Customer. I hope that there are other
Toshiba people browssing this newsgroup that are more customer oriented!!!

Here is the report:

------------------------------------------------------------------- Report
done on 16 mars, 1999 at 11:17:24
--- ---------------

<<< DirectX Information >>>
--- ---------------

<< DirectDraw Devices >>
<< Primary Display Driver (display) >>
< DirectDraw Driver Information >
Driver ID: display
Driver Version: 4.10.01.5200
DirectX Version: 4.06.02.436

< DirectDraw Device Information >
Model: NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV
Total/Free Memory: 2MB / 1080KB, 43%
Total/Free Video Memory: 2MB / 1080KB, 43%
Total/Free Texture Memory: 2MB / 1080KB, 43%
Max. Visible Overlays: 2
Min/Max Overlay Stretch: 0.0 / 8.0
Max/Current Video Ports: 2 / 0

< DirectDraw Interface Information >
Supports DirectDraw v4: Yes
Supports Direct3D v3: Yes

< General Capabilities >
Has 3D Hardware Acceleration: No
Supports Alpha Blending: No
Boundary Aligned Dest Rectangles Only: No
Size Mult Dest Rectangles Only: No
Boundary Aligned Src Rectangles Only: No
Size Mult Src Rectangles Only: No
Stride Alignment Surfaces Only: No
Hardware is Bank-Switched: No
Can Transfer Bitmaps: Yes
Supports Asynchronous Bitmap Transfers: Yes
Can Transfer Bitmaps to/from Memory: Yes
Supports Clipping: No
Supports Clipping while Stretching: No
Supports Colour Space Conversions: No
Stretch/Compress Bitmaps: No
Supports Colour Fills: No
Supports Z-Buffer Depth Fills: No
Supports Colour Keys: Yes
Hardware Assisted Colour Keys: Yes
Shares Display with GDI: Yes
Supports Hardware Overlay: Yes
Cannot Clip Overlays: Yes
Supports Overlay Colour Space Conversions: Yes
Stretch/Compress Overlays: Yes
Supports Individual Surface Palette: Yes
Can Sync Palette Change with Vertical Refresh: No
Can Return Current Scan Line: No
Has Stereo Vision Capabilities: No
Supports Vertical Blank Irq: No
Supports Z-Buffer Bitmap Transfers: No
Supports Overlay Z-Ordering: No
Can Flip Overlay Automatically: No
Can Interleave if Memory Interleave: No
Can Interleave if not Memory Interleave: No
Can Convert 16-bit RGBZ to RGB: No
Can Do Odd/Even Flips: No
Certified Display Driver: No
Primary Surface Has Colour Controls: No
Overlay Surface Has Colour Controls: No
Cannot Interleave 2D & 3D Operations: No
Supports AGP Memory: No
Different Capabilities in AGP Memory: No
Supports DMA Transfer on Unlocked System Memory: No
Supports Live Video: Yes
Supports Wide Surfaces: No

-------
-------
< General Surface Capabilities >
Supports 3D Rendering: No
Supports Alpha Blending: No
Surface is Back Buffer: No
Supports Complex Surfaces: No
Supports Surface Flipping: Yes
Surface is Front Buffer: No
Supports Mip-Mapping: No
Surface is Plain Surface: Yes
Supports Overlay Surfaces: Yes
Supports Palette Based Surfaces: No
Surface is Primary Surface: Yes
Surface is Left Primary Surfaces: No
Surface in System Memory: No
Supports Texture Mapping: No
Surface in Video Memory: No
Surface is Visible: No
Surface is Write-Only: No
Supports Z-Buffering: No
Surface has own Device Context: No
Supports Live Video: No
Supports Hardware Codec Streams: No
Surface is ModeX Surface: Yes

Mark J. Lieberman DDS

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Listen....I am NOT a Toshiba employee. I am just another end user such as
yourself. If you don't like my comments, then you can certainly tell me so in
a private E-Mail, or you don't have to pay attention either, but makeing
general comments like I'm NOT very helpful is a bit uncalled for.

I was only passing on the info I get from certain Toshiba staffers. I don't
pick and choose what the company puts in their machines, nor do I have any
input into the process or the where's and whys they choose to use certain
hardware.

Have a nice day!~

Doc Mark -Team Toshiba- (GO TOSHPORT)
Compuserve 70662,2654
mjl...@ix.netcom.com

Think...@gte.net

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Mark, there's no way to follow what post you're
referring to. Might help to copy all or part of it,
and include it in your posting.

Brad Wilson

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Hi Javatips,

I take it that you are assuming that Direct3D support and Hardware 3D
support are the same thing?
I did not see johnqliu's post, but I did take the time to check out both
the NeoMagic and Toshiba sites, and on both I did not see any claim of
Hardware 3D acceleration, just Direct 3D support, which can be
implemented in software.

As for Dr. Lieberman not being helpful, I think that he is quite helpful,
especially considering that he is not being paid to do anything here on
c.s.l. You get what you pay for here. Dr. Lieberman does not have to
provide customer service, he provides whatever peer support that he is
able to, based on his own experiences with Toshiba laptops.
--
Brad Wilson

Brad Wilson

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Thinkpad,
here ya go.

Hi,

Here is the report:

Think...@gte.net wrote in <36eea6ae...@news.fullwave.net>:

Brad Wilson

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
ThinkPadMan,

Oh, yea, I forgot the header, the message was from Java...@email.com, I
have no idea what his problem was.
--------------------------------------

Mark J. Lieberman DDS

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
In article <36eea6ae...@news.fullwave.net>, wrote:
> Mark, there's no way to follow what post you're
> referring to. Might help to copy all or part of it,
> and include it in your posting.

Sorry, I use an Off Line Reader that attempts to thread these messages, so
you can follow along without the quoteing. Here it is.

From: java...@email.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Toshiba Tecra 8000 with Direct3D or OpenGL
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:36:10 GMT

[...]

<<<<<<<snip the rest>>>>>>

java...@email.com

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Sorry if I mistaken you for a Toshiba employee, but you sign you message with
"Team Toshiba" wich had me tinking your where working for them.

If I knew you where not a Toshiba employee, I would not said that your where
not very helpfull in a public forum.

Sorry if I offend you!

In article <VA.000007c...@hh2149188.ix.netcom.com>,

mjl...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Listen....I am NOT a Toshiba employee. I am just another end user such as
> yourself. If you don't like my comments, then you can certainly tell me so in
> a private E-Mail, or you don't have to pay attention either, but makeing
> general comments like I'm NOT very helpful is a bit uncalled for.
>
> I was only passing on the info I get from certain Toshiba staffers. I don't
> pick and choose what the company puts in their machines, nor do I have any
> input into the process or the where's and whys they choose to use certain
> hardware.
>
> Have a nice day!~
>

> Doc Mark -Team Toshiba- (GO TOSHPORT)
> Compuserve 70662,2654
> mjl...@ix.netcom.com

java...@email.com

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
Here is some info taken right from the NeoMagic 256AV (NM2200) site at
NeoMagic (http://www.neomagic.com/products_mmedia_256av.html): --- Full
support for Microsoft DirectDraw™, DirectVideo™, Direct3D™, DirectShow™,
ActiveMovie™ and DCI

Accelerates MPEG2, Direct3D, DirectDraw and DVD. Reduces CPU overhead,
improves frame rate. ---

It specify that the card accelerate Direct3D. If that does not mean that it
hass 3d hardware capabilities, then what does it means?

In article <8D8B6CE7Abwils...@news.compuserve.com>,

> --
> Brad Wilson
> --
> Windows' best line - An unexpected error has occurred

Mark J. Lieberman DDS

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
In article <7cmh47$sgm$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, wrote:
> Sorry if I mistaken you for a Toshiba employee, but you sign you message with
> "Team Toshiba" wich had me tinking your where working for them.

Just some info,

Team Toshiba is a group of volunteers offering peer support for Toshiba Laptop
users on Compuserve's Toshiba Forum. There are probably 17 of us, and we are
backed up by around 5 or more Toshiba staff employees.

I'm probably the only brave enough sole to wonder out here to offer some
guidance when I can, or just insights into the mind set of Corporate Toshiba.

Applogy accepted :)

Brad Wilson

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
I suppose one would have to ask NeoMagic what that means. I would have
expected them to say "Hardware 3D acceleration" all over the place if
that was what they supported.
Also, I would look to see if Toshiba says that they support 3D Hardware
acceleration, since they are the final vendor of the hardware and have
the final say on which features are enabled.