Wierd problem with slowing machine

deja user

Mar 23, 2003, 3:05:51 PM3/23/03
Hey all,

First, some info (from the Intel Frequency ID check plus others):

Clone Laptop, 256MB RAM
CPU Type : 0 Reported/Expected Frequency : 1200
CPU Family: 6 Reported/Expected Bus Speed : 100

THE ABOVE FREQUENCIES DO NOT CHANGE, I HAVE CHECKED AND RECHECKED THAT

Ok... whenever we play a DVD, after about 40 minutes, the video goes
jerky and we can't watch the DVD anymore. I thought it was the CPU,
but the testing seems to say otherwise. If we turn off the laptop then
turn it on again AFTER A WHILE, the video plays, but sure enough the
problem comes back.

Option 2, could be the DVD drive? Checked the secondary IDE channel,
and the drive was operating in PIO mode (USE DMA if available was
selected), so I changed the controller mode to PIO only (just in case
it was switching from DMA into PIO etc messing things up). Didn't
work.. still slows down. I know DMA uses less resources, but this is a
1200Mhz laptop, the video shouldn't be jerky, plus it plays for a
while in this mode perfectly well.

Finally, this laptop is ALWAYS plugged into the mains, so all power
saving is disabled in XP. The BIOS has no settings for the CPU, and XP
doesn,t let u play with the Speedstep settings. Besides, the Intel
tests seem to keep showing nothing in that area has changed.

Phew... well, that's all of it. I have never been this stuck before,
so am really grateful for all the input you guys have on this ^_^ I
still think it's the CPU, but well, the utils keep telling me I'm
wrong >:(

O... DVD drive model is : Toshiba SD-C2502 ;-)

cheers!!!
Raj

C.Joseph Drayton

Mar 25, 2003, 6:32:05 PM3/25/03
Hi Raj,

I had the same problem a month or so ago. When the computer came back
from the service center. Even though it was set to 'Use DMA if
available', it was in PIO mode. To correct this problem, delete the
Secondary IDE Channel, and reboot. The system will then set that channel
to DMA.

Ciao . . .
C.Joseph

++ Let know man judge me until . . .