Windows 98 support being dropped in new Intel motherboards?

***** charles

Jul 22, 2004, 10:12:59 AM7/22/04
Hi all,

I have heard that the new Intel motherboards will no longer
install W98.

1. Is this true?
2. What is the last/fastest mb that will install W98FE/SE/or ME?

thanks,
charles......

Bob Bailin

Jul 22, 2004, 11:31:40 AM7/22/04

"***** charles" <shul...@joimail.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I have heard that the new Intel motherboards will no longer
> install W98.
>
> 1. Is this true?
> 2. What is the last/fastest mb that will install W98FE/SE/or ME?

1. Yes, insofar as they no longer supply the INF_INST driver update files for Win ME and
earlier
versions of Windows for the 915 & 925 chipsets. Same situation with the graphics drivers
for the 915G.
You can probably install Win98 successfully, but you'll have a lot of unrecognized system
devices and
be using generic graphics and IDE controller drivers.

2. 875P-based desktop P4 motherboards. Of course, other manufacturers (VIA, SiS) may have
equivalent
or faster chipsets that still support these older Windows versions.

Bob

Pierre Lopan

Aug 8, 2004, 1:51:56 PM8/8/04

"Bob Bailin" <72027...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> "***** charles" <shul...@joimail.com> wrote in message

>> I have heard that the new Intel motherboards will no longer

>> install W98.
>>
>> 1. Is this true?
>> 2. What is the last/fastest mb that will install W98FE/SE/or ME?

And for Windows 3.1 ?