Alert -- PS/Screwed (trackpoint keyboard)

Charles Lasitter

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Part 84G2524 / FRU 84G2529, mfg date 09/28/99, vendor: Unicomp;
IBM has managed to do the unthinkable. It now makes PS/2 input
devices that can't stand the sight of the only PS/2 equipment
that was ever worth a damn.

Specifically, keyboards made by this vendor for IBM work great in
crAptivas, but don't like Model 77s, 95s, and so on. Generates
the "301" keyboard error right away in the Model 95 computers,
and generates nonsense keyboard output attached to a Model 77.

I had several TrackPoint keyboards with sticky / weak left mouse
button bars, and I submitted them for service. The failure was
really one of annoyance / hindrance, as opposed to just plain
broken keyboards.

Well, these keyboards were returned in their place, and the
manufacturer was a new one. I can't remember the first
manufacturer, but I'd advise you to try FIND OUT before you go
buying or giving up any currently working trackpoint keyboard of
this type.

CL.
cl(at)ncdm.com

| Make payments to > | Charles Lasitter | H/W: 919/286-0100 |
| Mail money to: --> | PO Box 2478 | Durham, NC 27715 |
| Ship parts to: --> | 1304 Broad St | Durham, NC 27705 |