9577 Bermuda: Memory Expansion Beyond 32MB?

1 view

Matthew Melendy

Mar 2, 2001, 6:30:05 PM3/2/01
I have several 9577 systems with the "Bermuda" board and the Evergreen
5x86/133 upgrade. These systems work well on my LAN as light-duty
servers (DNS, WINS, etc.); however I'd like to know if anyone has
successfully put more than 32MB in them (either by motherboard or add-in
32-bit MCA card.)

Matt "MiCAh" Melendy
Fresno, CA

Christian Hansen

Mar 2, 2001, 8:08:44 PM3/2/01

Matthew Melendy

Mar 2, 2001, 9:56:11 PM3/2/01
I figured the motherboard wouldn't be expandable past 32MB, but how
about memory adapters (eg., like the Kingston KTM PS/64 or MC/64?)

I have some older 16-bit Kingston adapters, but I think they will be too
slow for a 77. I'm really interested in any experiences folks have had
with 32-bit memory adapters.

Thanks for the feedback,

--

Matt "MiCAh" Melendy
Fresno, CA

In article <97pg6f$iku3i$1...@ID-68817.news.dfncis.de>,
ska...@vip.cybercity.dk says...

Jim Shorney

Mar 2, 2001, 10:35:21 PM3/2/01

Matthew Melendy wrote:

> I figured the motherboard wouldn't be expandable past 32MB, but how
> about memory adapters (eg., like the Kingston KTM PS/64 or MC/64?)
>
> I have some older 16-bit Kingston adapters, but I think they will be too
> slow for a 77. I'm really interested in any experiences folks have had
> with 32-bit memory adapters.

Generally speaking, RAM cards don't do well in the faster machines.
This is because the onboard memory subsystem is matched to the CPU
speed, while the RAM card still runs at the MCA bus speed. This will be
especially noticable with, say, OS/2, which loads itself top-down in
memory and will run at the speed of the slower memory. It's a bit like
chaining a dump truck to the rear bumper of your <favorite sports car
name here>; sure you will have a lot more trunk space, but you won't be
going anywhere very fast.

Allen and Erin Brandt

Mar 3, 2001, 3:51:03 AM3/3/01
I don't think that works. I've heard rumors that there are cards available for
faster machines, but I've never seen one work. Chip Chat had some that were
suppossed to work in faster machines. www.chipchat.com

Matthew Melendy wrote:

--
"Wer nichts zu sagen hat, sagt es auf Englisch."
(-Walter Krämer, bezügl. Anglizismen.)