VGA monitor and adapter choices

ROBIN

Nov 3, 1988, 2:59:27 PM11/3/88
Thanks to all of you who answered my request for info about VGA
monitors and adapters. I've ordered a Princeton Graphics Ultrasynch
and a Paradise VGA Professional adapter. I'll let you know how this works
in a couple of weeks or so. A summary of the resonses I received
will be found at the end of this message.

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Room 7C-004
10 Whippany Road
Whippany, NJ 07981

email: whuts!2212msr

voice: 201-386-6865 (days)
201-627-5460 (eve.)
or 201-627-5895 (eve.)

From att!texbell!jclyde!john Wed Oct 26 01:08:56 1988
From: jo...@jclyde.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.)

Max, I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I am leaning towards
a VEGA VRAM and a Mitsubishi DiamondScan. I would be interested in what
---
John B. Meaders, Jr. 1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX 78752
ATT: Voice: +1 (512) 451-5038 Data: +1 (512) 371-0550
UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!bigtex!jclyde!john or jo...@jclyde.cactus.org

From att!texbell!jclyde!john Wed Oct 26 01:08:56 1988

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 12:25:43 EDT
From: Rajiv Sarathy <utgpu!sarathy>
To: whuts!2212msr
Subject: Re: VGA board/monitor
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

I'm interested in purchasing a VGA card as well. Can you please post a
summary or email me?

Thanks.

--
-- Raj

| Disclaimer: I'm just an undergrad. |
| All views and opinions are therefore my own. |
| |
| Rajiv Partha Sarathy sar...@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca |
|______________________________________________________________________________|

From att!gatech!tektronix!vice.ICO.TEK.COM!glennl Wed Oct 26 23:10:36 1988
From: gatech!tektronix!vice.ICO.TEK.COM!glennl (Glenn C. Le Vernois)
News-Path: tekcae!tektronix!uunet!seismo!sundc!pitstop!sun!decwrl!labrea!rutgers!att!whuts!2212msr

I'ms using a Orchid Designer VGA on a Compaq 386/20. The card is
great. I've had no major problems and am delighted with the board.
I can view a 800x600x256 color program just fine! With the research
I've done, the Orchid is the only board that does 256 colors. Most
of the other only support 16 colors.

The only problem I had was with Borland Products, TurboC
inparticularly. The Borland software had a problem figuring out what
kind of display adapter I was using. I ended up configuring my
multisync and VGA card for Analog and the problem went away. Since
then, I've had nothing but happy graphics!!!

I hope this is useful.

Glenn C. Le Vernois
gle...@budda.UUCP
tektronix!vice!budda!glennl

From att!gatech!harvard!yale!galvin-peter Thu Oct 27 10:23:58 1988
From: Peter Baer Galvin <gatech!harvard!yale!galvin-peter>

I have an AT clone running in a similar configuration: I have an
Orchid VGA card and an Thompson Ultrascan monitor. I got the Thompson
pretty inexpensively from Computer Direct (or is it PC Direct) during
on of their sales, and haven't seen it for that price again. The only
problem with the Orchid board is that it uses slow (512K though)
memory which caused me to have to add a wait state to my system (it
used to run at 12mhz, no waits). They now have a bulletin board you
can dial up to to get the newest software drivers, which is nice.
They posted one of those ROM cache programs there which relocates the
VGA rom code into ram for faster operation: it works perfectly.

--Peter

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------
Peter Baer Galvin (203)432-1254
Senior Systems Programmer, Yale Univ. C.S. galvin...@cs.yale.edu
51 Prospect St, P.O.Box 2158, Yale Station ucbvax!decvax!yale!galvin-peter
New Haven, Ct 06457 galvin...@yalecs.bitnet

From att!rutgers!njin!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh Wed Oct 26 15:09:35 1988
From: p...@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg)

The word among the cognescenti on IBMNET on CompuServe is Sony 1302A,
hands down. There is also some talk about VGA being a shortterm
solution that can also be addressed with a significantly cheaper combo
of an EGA card and "UltraVision", a doohickey that plugs into the EGA
feature connector. Ads for UV in the latest PC Mag.

--
Pete Holsberg UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College CompuServe: 70240,334

From att!gatech!cepu!retix.retix.com!garry Fri Oct 28 14:40:18 1988
From: gatech!retix.retix.com!garry (Garry Star)

I'm in the same boat. Planning to buy a '386 with VGA by the end
of the year. I'd love to see the responses you get.

Thanks in advance...
Garry Star, Retix, (213) 399-2200 ga...@retix.retix.com

From att!sun!nosun!escargot!donf Tue Nov 1 01:35:24 1988
From: sun!nosun!escargot!donf (Don Flinn)

I have the VGA Fastwrite and I am only moderately pleased with it.
It has conflicts with my AST Advantage if the 16 bit ROM access is
active. It works fine with 8 bit ROM access selected. I still get
about 8 wait states on a 9MHz IBM AT. I have no applications where
the graphics speed performance is noticably improved. The text scrolling
speed is noticably better than the Video 7 VEGA I had previously installed.
The best value and one of the best cards out today appears to be the
Paradise VGA Plus card. See Steve Gibson's last few columns in InfoWorld
(and take some of it with a grain of salt.) I do agree with him on the
best monitor - get the SONY Multiscan 1302A. The 1303 isn't great but
you can't beat the 1302A. Side by side with the NEC, the NEC looks terrible,
and the NEC Multisync is a very good monitor. The Princeton Graphics is
not bad, but the SONY is much better.

Don Flinn

From att!masscomp.masscomp.com!wr Sat Oct 29 07:10:48 1988
From: masscomp.masscomp.com!wr

In article <49...@whuts.UUCP> you write:
>I'm planning to purchase a VGA adapter and multisynch type monitor
>in the near future. My current leanings are toward a VEGA Fastwrite
>card and a Princeton Graphics Ultrasynch monitor. If anyone has
>experience w/VGA boards/monitors in a 80286 machine, I'ld appreciate
>hearing from them. If sufficient interest, I'll post a summary to the net.

These are both very good choices. I like Vega's stuff..Good Luck

From att!anvil!cloud9!dts Wed Nov 2 21:15:49 1988

With regard to the Princeton monitor, I have used two as review units, both
have had alignment problems. Also the screen is smaller than on most of the
others.

I currently am testing out a V7 VRAM VGA card, which is the same as the
Fastwrite except it has faster memory than the fastwrite. The board is
OK, but I have had some problems. With 512K on it (my review unit came
with that much) it won't work with some esoteric multitasking software
such as VM/386. The speed so far is not as outstanding as I was
led to believe. I think the VEGA VGA (availiable for around 239 mail order)
is a better buy.

One additional note on the V7 stuff: They claim to be the most compatible
board around, but AutoCAD's IBM VGA driver did wierd things to it. A bunch
of extra pixels seemed to get lit up from time to time...

Dan

---
Daniel Senie UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc. ARPA: anvil!cloud9!d...@harvard.harvard.edu
55 Fairbanks Blvd. CSRV: 74176,1347
Marlboro, MA 01752 TEL.: 508 - 460 - 2686

David Mundhenk

Nov 4, 1988, 6:04:50 PM11/4/88

I wanted to add my experience to the numerous responses to this
article (that's why I left them out ^^^^^^^^):
I recently bought a Princeton UltraSync. I am using it with a
Paradise AutoSwitch EGA, since I presently cannot afford a VGA
card (although they look better all the time). It has made me
extremely happy, after hours of CGA! The only complaint is the
physical size of the UltraSync (12" diag) but I can live with it.
I bought it as a used demo for a greatly reduced price....

-Dave "Credo quia absurdum"

Disclaimer:
My opinions do not reflect those of anyone I work for or with, or
anyone who does not look like me.