Help! Stuck notes with SB16 and SCD-15

Greg Sargent

Mar 13, 1995, 9:25:05 PM3/13/95
Does anyone know how to fix or where I can get patches to correct stuck
notes with this combo? It only seems to happen on LucasArts games. It
is very, very, very annoying. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

Greg
gsar...@iquest.net

Archana S. Prasad

Mar 14, 1995, 6:46:37 PM3/14/95
In article <D5Es1...@dorite.use.com> gsar...@iquest.net (Greg Sargent) writes:
>From: gsar...@iquest.net (Greg Sargent)
>Subject: Help! Stuck notes with SB16 and SCD-15
>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 02:25:05 GMT

Lucas Arts should have patches to fix this for Tie Fighter.

Do you have a CSP chip? If so, what version? It can be found
by running DIAGNOSE.

Aloke Prasad

Galasso Emilio N

Mar 14, 1995, 9:28:19 PM3/14/95

Greg Sargent <gsar...@iquest.net> wrote:
>Does anyone know how to fix or where I can get patches to correct stuck
>notes with this combo? It only seems to happen on LucasArts games. It
>is very, very, very annoying. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Well, I hope some technical wizard can shed some light onto your problem,
but I thought I'd add something (and it will probably make your problem
worse).

Apparently those SB16s which have DSP v4.11 or v4.12 (possibly earlier,
I'm not sure) seem to have a problem with hanging notes and their
daughtercards. Those SB16s with DSP v4.05 (apparently) do not. Although
LucasArts seems to be famous for this hanging note (Tie Fighter being
the most famous -- which also had a fix) it happens in other games as well.
Both a friend and myself own Turtle Beach RIOs. My friend's system
suffered hanging notes from various games including X-Wing CD, Dark Forces,
and Relentess: Twinsen's Adventure (not by LucasArts). I never had any
problems with the above games (except Tie Fighter). My card has v4.05
DSP... my friend's was v4.12. Well, we swapped his card with another
friend who bought his SB16 around the same time I did... and it ended up
having a v4.05 DSP. Wouldn't you know it?!? All the games that were
suffering hanging notes worked perfectly. Strangely enough, a LOT of
people have this problem yet (unless I missed it) there hasn't been
much talk in the way of solutions or the cause of the problem.

Right now, I'm convinced it is the DSP. It wasn't until after reading
someone else's post that we decided to check our DSP versions. Could
it be coincidence that our cards fell into the exact same situation
(where the DSP v4.12 was having problems and the DSP v4.05 not)?!?

If I've learned anything about Creative Labs... they are the worst at
admitting or correcting mistakes. I'm just happy that my card has a v4.05
DSP and I haven't had to endure the hanging note problem.

--

Emilio Galasso
a260...@cdf.toronto.edu