Replace dead SCC-1 or buy something else?

Tol & Harriet

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Dear all,

My marvellous Roland SCC-1 just died. Roland can't repair it, but are
offering me a new one for about £165. Should I go for this, or is there now
something better on the market? When I bought the Roland it was by far the
best, and best value.

Please reply by private e-mail if possible.

Yours,

Tol

The Lord Leto II

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

In article <01bc3aca$9a4d6720$22f0...@xdv63.dial.pipex.com> "Tol & Harriet" <xd...@dial.pipex.com> writes:
>Dear all,
>
>My marvellous Roland SCC-1 just died. Roland can't repair it, but are
>offering me a new one for about #165. Should I go for this, or is there now

>something better on the market? When I bought the Roland it was by far the
>best, and best value.

I thought Roland stopped selling the SCC-1 and only sold the
SCD-15 + MPU-401/AT combo.

********** The Lord Leto II *** God Emperor of Arrakis **********
* Check out my and other Yamaha XG MIDI files at (not my page) *
* http://www.ids.net/~marshall/xg.htm *
* "In the morning I will see what you were trying to say to me *
* As I respond into the sink, need not again hear myself think *
* Bleeding from nose, throat, and ears" -- Mr. Bungle *

Tol & Harriet

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

The Lord Leto II <T9...@ACADEMIC.NEMOSTATE.EDU> wrote in article
<28MAR97.00...@ACADEMIC.NEMOSTATE.EDU>...

> In article <01bc3aca$9a4d6720$22f0...@xdv63.dial.pipex.com> "Tol &
Harriet" <xd...@dial.pipex.com> writes:

> I thought Roland stopped selling the SCC-1 and only sold the
> SCD-15 + MPU-401/AT combo.

They have stopped it, but the office here in the UK has two still in stock.
Should I take one, or get something else off the market? What's the best
music card, if you've got a good SB16 already?

Ben Blystone

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

The SCD-15 is the daughterboard version of the SCC-1. The DAC on the
SCC-1 is still much better than that of a SB-16 and the patchset on the
SCC-1 and the SCD-15 are vitually identical. The SCC-1 Sound Canvas
patchset is still the De Facto standard for MIDI on the PC. I'd either
replace the SCC-1 or get an SCD-15/MPU-401/AT combo (vitually the same
thing). Or if money isn't much of a factor you could go for one of the
external SC modules like an SC-55 mkII or even an SC-88(which is what I
have). They even have a new SC-88 Pro which is supposed to sound
terrific. Check out http://www.edirol.com for info about all the sound
canvas stuff(Internal PC hardware and external tone modules).

Ben Blystone

Kevin Andresen

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Ben Blystone <"bnb...@concentric.net"@concentric.net> writes:
>The SCD-15 is the daughterboard version of the SCC-1. The DAC on the
>SCC-1 is still much better than that of a SB-16 and the patchset on the
>SCC-1 and the SCD-15 are vitually identical. The SCC-1 Sound Canvas
>patchset is still the De Facto standard for MIDI on the PC. I'd either
>replace the SCC-1 or get an SCD-15/MPU-401/AT combo (vitually the same
>thing). Or if money isn't much of a factor you could go for one of the
>external SC modules like an SC-55 mkII or even an SC-88(which is what I
>have). They even have a new SC-88 Pro which is supposed to sound
>terrific. Check out http://www.edirol.com for info about all the sound
>canvas stuff(Internal PC hardware and external tone modules).

Let's clarify this:
The SCD-15 (actually an SCB-55 daughterboard) is the daughterboard
equivalent of the external SC-55mkII module (as well as the MIDI
portion of the SCP-55 PCMCIA card).
It is 28-voice (vs. the SCC-1's 24 voice engine) and there are some
extremeley minor GS additions.
It does have the identical patchset to the later SCC-1s (354 sounds + drums).
The SCB-55 (aka SCD-15) does not have the 18-bit DAC of the external
SC-55mkII.

The combination of MPU-401AT and SCB-55 is marketed as the SCM-15(AT?).

I had a later model U.S. version of the SCC-1 and I highly recommend
the MPU-401AT/SCD-15 combo.
The sound is much better (although not as good as my external
18-bit SC-55mkII).
One tricky thing is that the early SCB-55(SCD-15)s had their Left and
Right reversed. This has been fixed on nearly all models now
(mine had been re-wired at the factory before shipping).

I recommend buying the MPU-401AT and SCD-15 separately to get 2 serial
numbers and because it's less expensive (no BalladeGS).
It's easier also to sell the one you don't need in the future.

Kevin Andresen
k...@world.std.com
Roland SC-55mkII, MPU-401AT/SCD-15, (SCC-1B)
AVM Summit, Yamaha DB50XG (a real disgrace to the music industry),
Turtle Beach Tropez Plus (had what I needed at the time)