Has anyone else had problems installing Promise Ultra133 on Win2K?

瀏覽次數:2 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Jo

未讀,
2002年6月27日 下午6:34:472002/6/27
收件者:
I have a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 card that I am trying to install into a
Win2k Pro system but I cannot get past the installation stage.

On PC startup I get the hardware found but all I ever get is the
message 'The installation failed - a file was not found'

I have spoken with Promise Tech Support but they seem a bit clueless.

Odie

未讀,
2002年6月28日 凌晨2:49:042002/6/28
收件者:
If this Win2K is an existing installation, you apparently need to load
the drivers BEFORE installing the card.

If it is a new installation (i.e. on a clean disk) then I am rather
baffled.

Odie

Ed Jamison

未讀,
2002年6月28日 上午10:02:482002/6/28
收件者:
If it is a new install, you need to boot from the Windows CDROM, and
immediately watch the bottom of the screen for "Press F6 to load SCSI
device drivers" or something similar. Hit F6, load the drivers for that
card, then run through the install process. That should solve the
problem. You've always had to install Promise drivers like that.
If Windows is already up and running, you have to boot into Windows
before installing the card. Install the Promise drivers from the floppy
that came with the card, then shut the system down, install the card,
and power the system back on. At this point, it should work...

Ed

Jo

未讀,
2002年6月28日 上午10:51:262002/6/28
收件者:
Finally have the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 working after following this
advice I found on usenet

I wish windows had a feature that would force it to 'forget' about
hardware of which it has incorrectly loaded drivers.

1. remove all drives (hds AND cdroms) and all controllers (ide AND
scsi) in
system settings,
2. reboot into save mode and check again for drives and controllers
(there may also be several other doubled entries, but you should
fix
that later),
3. delete all entries in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\ESDI\",
4. delete all entries in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\SCSI\",
5. delete all entries in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\",
6. search in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\PCI\VEN_*************" for
registered
ide and scsi controllers
and delete whole the "VEN_***" entries of the controllers,
7. delete all entries in
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\hdc\" .

After that shutdown (and for safety poweroff for at least 5 seconds),
reboot
and Windows9x will find the now "unknown devices" and reinstall them.

It may take several reboots until Windows has reinstalled all stuff,
but if you're not REALY shure about continue or reboot, do the reboot,
when
Windows wants to!!!

This procedure worked for me several times, when changing motherboards
(Intel to VIA chipsets and vis a vi),
different ide and scsi controllers, graphic, sound and other addon
cards.

I've one system, that I built a long time ago on a late PCI 486 with
AMD
133mhz, Adaptec 1542B, took it to a FIC board with Intel P100, later
Asus P55T2P4, AMD K6 200 with Adaptec 2940U, and now Tyan Trinity
100AT,
K6-2 500 at 550 mhz with ide drives and from Windows 95 over
Windows98 to
Windows98SE. And the system runs stable!!!
(I didn't want to reinstall, because I don't know how to save and
restore
all the newsgroups, I've on that system. I don't delete them.)

Stinky Sox

未讀,
2002年7月2日 下午4:54:542002/7/2
收件者:

"Jo" <usenet_AT_tec...@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote in message

> I have a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 card that I am trying to install into a
> Win2k Pro system but I cannot get past the installation stage.
>
> On PC startup I get the hardware found but all I ever get is the
> message 'The installation failed - a file was not found'

The key point is that with Win2K and Win XP (and I presume Win NT), you need
to install the drivers for the Promise Ultra (or any other UltraATA card
such as the one from Siig) **before** connecting your hard disk drive to it.
(In my experience, even pressing F6 and S to load the drivers, as others
have suggested, when booting/installing the OS doesn't work correctly.)

Leave the drive connected to your motherboard's integrated IDE controller.
(The Promise card can remain in a PCI slot, as long as thge hard disk isn't
connected to it.) Then, install the Promise drivers. Shut down, disconnect
the hard disk from the motherboard and connect it to the Promise card. It
should boot and run fine upon restarting. (NOTE: As soon as you restart the
system, be sure to adjust your BIOS boot-order settings! You will need to
specify "SCSI Boot Device" or something similar, rather than a hard disk
connected IDE1 on the motherboard).

0 則新訊息