LattisNet vs 10Base-T -- what was it?

Gary Paul Gortmaker

Oct 25, 1994, 2:39:12 AM10/25/94

I recently got some old Western Digital wd8003wt cards
that have a modular RJ-45 port for UTP. The manual states that
they are "LattisNet" compatible. The UTP ports don't work on
a normal 10Base-T network, but the cards are ok, as I can use
them via the AUI port with an AUI --> 10Base-T transciever (when
jumpered for AUI output.)

I assume then that this LattisNet was some sort of precursor
to the 10Base-T standard? In the manual, it shows the wiring to
be the same as 10Base-T (i.e. 1,2 3,6 used - same polarity) but
something must be different. They have "LINK OK" LEDs which don't
light when plugged into a standard 10Base-T port.

Anyone heard of LattisNet, and know how it differs from
10Base-T ? I believe that when these cards were made, only 10Base-2
and 10Base-5 existed, with 10Base-T being a proposed standard.

Thanks,
Paul.

Manfred Kwiatkowski

Oct 25, 1994, 8:59:59 AM10/25/94
In article <38i96g$m...@huxley.anu.edu.au>, gpg...@huxley.anu.edu.au (Gary Paul Gortmaker) writes:

> I recently got some old Western Digital wd8003wt cards
> that have a modular RJ-45 port for UTP. The manual states that
> they are "LattisNet" compatible. [..]

> Anyone heard of LattisNet, and know how it differs from
> 10Base-T ? I believe that when these cards were made, only 10Base-2
> and 10Base-5 existed, with 10Base-T being a proposed standard.

You CAN use these cards on a 10BaseT Hub provided it allows
the link test to be disabled. E.g. they work fine on a
Lantronix LTX Hub.

Hope this helps...

--
Manfred Kwiatkowski kwiat...@zrz.tu-berlin.de