Stunt Driving Terrain editor

1 view

sa...@roads.sa.gov.au

May 1, 1993, 7:23:45 AM5/1/93
In article <1993Apr23.184513.1800@vaxa>, acc...@vaxa.hofstra.edu writes:
A question to all Stunts Fans (4D sports driving to the second generation
users)

would anyone out there be interested in a terrain editor?

My mates and I had many hours of fun with stunts until we realised the
limitation for track design was the limited number of terain types.
So being the people we are we just had to fix that hassle.

PS. being new to the net I may be offering something that already exists
out there somewhere so a polite NO! will suffice.

my opinions and experiences are just that.

Scott.

Martin

May 1, 1993, 4:36:13 PM5/1/93
In article <1993May1....@roads.sa.gov.au> sa...@roads.sa.gov.au writes:
=> would anyone out there be interested in a terrain editor?
=>
=> My mates and I had many hours of fun with stunts until we realised the
=> limitation for track design was the limited number of terain types.
=> So being the people we are we just had to fix that hassle.

I think you'll find there is a small group of us that would be interested
in getting that. I know I would.

Stunts. We're going to try to run a Stunts race season. It hasn't
started yet and we're still working out how we'll do it, but your terrian
editor would be a good way to come up with tracks that are sure to be unique.

To anybody else interested in this "race" idea please e-mail the address
above and simply request that he send you whatever preliminary info he
has. We're hoping to get up and running in a week or so once we finalize
who will participate. It wouldn't take much of your time since we only
intend to run 1 track every week or so.

Martin "wow, I haven't played Stunts in a quite awhile until this thread
started" Saxer

Mark 'Mark' Sachs

May 1, 1993, 5:56:25 PM5/1/93
I have the feeling that there *is* a terrain editor out there, or at least
someone who is able to hack the terrain files. At least one of the tracks
in the big archives that have been booming across the net recently had a
terrain unlike any of the five you get on the normal list -- it was almost
entirely a large elevated plateau.

One other nifty thing I noticed on another of the tracks -- the automatic
sanity checking that it does to make sure a track is boring and ordinary,
only makes sure that it's possible to get from the starting line to the
finish, and ignores anything else.

On the track "BUBBY", there's a tiny loop leading back to the starting gate.
But if you zoom out of it and onto a nonconnecting road you get to drive
on truly insane track with broken bridges, floating elevated sections,
unexpected breaks in tilted roads... it's a kick to do, although I suspect
impossible to complete. :) More tracks like this would be neat to see,
now that we know that one can get around the sanity checking...

"...so I propose that we destroy the moon, neatly solving that problem."
[Your blood pressure just went up.] Mark Sachs IS: mbs...@psuvm.psu.edu
DISCLAIMER: If PSU knew I had opinions, they'd try to charge me for them.

acc...@vaxa.hofstra.edu

May 2, 1993, 11:40:18 AM5/2/93

I wish to hell that there was a terrain editor too - changing terrains are
just a pain in the ass for some of the tracks I design.

Mark 'Mark' Sachs

May 2, 1993, 4:05:23 PM5/2/93
In article <1993May2.104018.1912@vaxa>, acc...@vaxa.hofstra.edu says:

>In article <93121.175...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Mark 'Mark' Sachs sez:
>> I have the feeling that there *is* a terrain editor out there, or at least
>> someone who is able to hack the terrain files. At least one of the tracks
>> in the big archives that have been booming across the net recently had a
>> terrain unlike any of the five you get on the normal list -- it was almost
>> entirely a large elevated plateau.
>>
>I wish to hell that there was a terrain editor too - changing terrains are
>just a pain in the ass for some of the tracks I design.

There is! The author of the track I mentioned e-mailed me and informed me
that you can hit SHIFT-F1 on the track editing screen and it switches to
a new palette with pieces of hills and rivers. Yes, you can get total
control of the landscape. Neat! And no, it's not mentioned anywhere in
the manual...

This works on both the IBM (his) and Amiga (mine) versions too.

Keith Smith

May 3, 1993, 11:52:51 PM5/3/93
G'day all,
sorry about not being able to quote anything, this comms package is terrible
and won't let me use cusor keys..anyways, enough preamble...
Mark Sachs mentioned that the track BUBBY had a small circuit as the main track, but had a huge section of "illegal" jumps and roads that stunts didn't
check because it wasn't part of the track.

I designed that track myself last year to see if the concept would work...
Any reactions to it?

The only drawback is that if you're playing for a fast time, there will always
be one smart ass who comes along and just goes along the tiny "main" track :)

I'm surprised the track is still around, I didn't think anyone would be interested! Excuse any bits that are virtually impossible, I didn't really refine the idea.

Comments welcome!

Cheers,

Keith

- ksm...@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au | Keith Smith, Monash Uni, -
- ksm...@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au | Melbourne, Australia -

Keith Smith

May 4, 1993, 12:00:23 AM5/4/93
A while ago, I had a stunts mailing list going, for the trading of tracks for
this great game. The traffic slowed eventually, though, and the list stopped.
I still have most of the tracks that were swapped though. Sadly, I don't keep
them in separate directories, so you'll never know who made the tracks. I can
identify my own, but not other ppls.
Nevertheless, there are 100-150 tracks sitting on my HD at home, of which 50 or
so are mine (or my brother's).
I think I'll upload a ZIP of them tonight to WUARCHIVE, as I've had a few
requests for the tracks in the past few days. It seems stunts is becoming
quite popular again....COOL :)

Comments?

Keith Smith

N.B. Bast

May 6, 1993, 8:58:07 PM5/6/93
In article <1993May2.104018.1912@vaxa> acc...@vaxa.hofstra.edu writes:
>In article <93121.175...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Mark 'Mark' Sachs <MBS...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>> I have the feeling that there *is* a terrain editor out there, or at least
>> someone who is able to hack the terrain files. At least one of the tracks
>> in the big archives that have been booming across the net recently had a
>> terrain unlike any of the five you get on the normal list -- it was almost
>> entirely a large elevated plateau.
>
>I wish to hell that there was a terrain editor too - changing terrains are
>just a pain in the ass for some of the tracks I design.

When editing a track hit 'F2' or maybe alt-F2... brings up a menu of
terrain options... Most Awesome for ultimate tracks...

--
# Noah Bast (feel free to ignore me! :) | call: The Vanishing Point #
| Information Technology Undergrad at | Fido 1:2613/444 (716)889-3353 |

Ralph Wirthlin

May 7, 1993, 9:38:38 AM5/7/93
MBS...@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark 'Mark' Sachs) writes:

>In article <1993May2.104018.1912@vaxa>, acc...@vaxa.hofstra.edu says:
>>In article <93121.175...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Mark 'Mark' Sachs sez:
>>> I have the feeling that there *is* a terrain editor out there, or at least
>>> someone who is able to hack the terrain files. At least one of the tracks
>>> in the big archives that have been booming across the net recently had a
>>> terrain unlike any of the five you get on the normal list -- it was almost
>>> entirely a large elevated plateau.
>>>
>>I wish to hell that there was a terrain editor too - changing terrains are
>>just a pain in the ass for some of the tracks I design.

>There is! The author of the track I mentioned e-mailed me and informed me
>that you can hit SHIFT-F1 on the track editing screen and it switches to
>a new palette with pieces of hills and rivers. Yes, you can get total
>control of the landscape. Neat! And no, it's not mentioned anywhere in
>the manual...

>This works on both the IBM (his) and Amiga (mine) versions too.

My three-year old daughter discovered an undocumented feature (that
everyone probably already knows). If you hit 't' while driving or in
playback mode, you switch to the opponent's racecar (you can't control
it though :(). I think I'll go home after work and try out every key
combination and see what other good stuff is out there.

Ralph