ACW tactical battles game in progress

eddys...@hotmail.com

Apr 16, 2010, 5:40:47 AM4/16/10

Hints given by Gil R. of WCS indicate they're working on a stand-alone
hex-based tactical ACW battles game based on a modified version of the
tactical game in their Forge of Freedom game.

"we will first be producing a series of releases using a greatly
modified version of the FOF tactical engine for historical battles,
starting with 1st Bull Run and a few other early battles. More on this
soon... "

-

Sounds interesting as the HPS "Battleground" games are currently the
only shop in town and we could *really* need some new blood in this
genre.

... but wouldn't it be nice if once, just once, pc wargame developers
had a look at these kind of ACW battle designs.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36400/the-guns-of-gettysburg

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68187/gettysburg-the-wheatfield

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Nine Train

Apr 16, 2010, 7:14:00 AM4/16/10
On Apr 16, 5:40 am, "eddyster...@hotmail.com"

This is an interesting interview with the designer of an ACW wargame
due out sometime in the next year or two. The description of the
command mechanic sounds similar - in effect - to the Panther command
ops (airborna assault) engine.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/kris_hall_dean_essig_and_none_but_heroes/

eddys...@hotmail.com

Apr 16, 2010, 7:32:09 AM4/16/10
On 16 apr, 13:14, Nine Train <09.tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > ... but wouldn't it be nice if once, just once, pc wargame developers
> > had a look at these kind of ACW battle designs.
>
> >http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36400/the-guns-of-gettysburg
>
> >http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68187/gettysburg-the-wheatfield

> This is an interesting interview with the designer of an ACW wargame

> due out sometime in the next year or two. The description of the
> command mechanic sounds similar - in effect - to the Panther command
> ops (airborna assault) engine.
>

> http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/kris_ha...-

Yup - looks exactly like the Command Ops engine brought to the board.

Isn't it a shame that if you compare modern boardgames on the ACW with
what gets produced on the pc, you notice that the ones who got stuck
in the eighties are not the boardgames ...

I've played the new Martin Wallace game on Gettysburg recently (area
based with uncertain unit activation) and while certainly not
historically accurate clearly focusses on command & control and
getting your attacks synchronized.

Anyway, I see the second game in the Dean Essig series is also going
to be Gettysburg which is a much better battle setting imho.

Also, this mechanic isn't exactly new, even in boardgames - Punic Wars
does something similar as well - check out the rules here :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/49096/battleground-historical-warfare-basic-game-second

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Gil R.

Apr 16, 2010, 11:00:38 PM4/16/10
Yes, I can confirm the rumor I started. We'll have a "coming soon"
forum at Matrix quite, er, soon. First screenshots are probably a
month away, but there's no harm in talking about the game sooner.

Nine Train,
Thanks for the link. I'm hoping that's the game I saw at Origins last
year, because someone -- and I stupidly didn't jot down their name --
was showing off an unreleased Antietam game with an outstanding map.
I don't mean this to sound arrogant, since I'm far from an expert on
Antietam, but when you've been working on Civil War tactical games and
researching battlefields, and have walked on them in person trying to
figure out how to convert the reality of what you see into hexes and
terrain types, you see things in a different way from other people,
and I've now been to Antietam several times in the past two years and
know just insanely difficult it is to get that particular map right,
and it looked to me like they did a perfect job. I'm very much
looking forward to it.

Nine Train

Apr 17, 2010, 12:53:33 AM4/17/10

Hi Gil - I bought Crown of Glory at Origins the year it was released.
Was it you demo-ing it that year? If so, we've met :)

Antietam is a great battlefield. I was there and at Gettysburg this
past fall and it was a real treat. I enjoyed the visit to Antietam a
lot as it was a real education for me. A park guide walked us through
the cornfield and gave us the blow-by-blow for what happened to the
12th Mass. It was quite a colorful little talk beginning with the
story of the Irish priest riding a horse back and forth in front of
the ranks of the 12th shouting absolution to the soldiers before they
moved forward. I caught the ACW bug on that trip!

Looking forward to your screen shots!

Nine Train

Apr 17, 2010, 12:59:21 AM4/17/10
On Apr 16, 7:32 am, "eddyster...@hotmail.com"
<eddyster...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Also, this mechanic isn't exactly new, even in boardgames - Punic Wars
> does something similar as well - check out the rules here :
>

> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/49096/battleground-historical-...

Thanks! Completely forgot about this one. I own the fantasy version
of this game (a couple decks anyway). I almost pulled the trigger on
the historical version because I'm too cheap to buy minis. But
ultimately I have enough games to play right now to keep me busy for a
while.

Gil R.

Apr 19, 2010, 3:36:47 PM4/19/10
> Hi Gil - I bought Crown of Glory at Origins the year it was released.
> Was it you demo-ing it that year?  If so, we've met :)

There's a good chance it was me, though it could have been someone
else from WCS or else someone from Matrix. If the person who demoed
it had a sub-optimal amount of hair then it was indeed me.

Miowarra Tomokatu (aka Tomo)

Apr 21, 2010, 4:04:01 PM4/21/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:36:47 -0700 (PDT), "Gil R." <gi...@west-civ.com>
wrote:

Outline for us, if you would be so kind, just what IS the optimal
amount of hair.

Fascinating!

Gil R.

Apr 21, 2010, 4:18:31 PM4/21/10
On Apr 21, 3:04 pm, "Miowarra Tomokatu (aka Tomo)" <n...@thistime.net>
wrote:

> Outline for us, if you would be so kind, just what IS the optimal
> amount of hair.

It is less than I had when I was young and optimal.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Apr 22, 2010, 2:38:02 AM4/22/10
On 21 apr, 22:04, "Miowarra Tomokatu (aka Tomo)" <n...@thistime.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:36:47 -0700 (PDT), "Gil R." <g...@west-civ.com>

> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Gil - I bought Crown of Glory at Origins the year it was released.
> >> Was it you demo-ing it that year?  If so, we've met :)
>
> >There's a good chance it was me, though it could have been someone
> >else from WCS or else someone from Matrix.  If the person who demoed
> >it had a sub-optimal amount of hair then it was indeed me.
>
> Outline for us, if you would be so kind, just what IS the optimal
> amount of hair.
>
> Fascinating!

Amount AND location ! :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

MJB

Apr 22, 2010, 3:21:05 PM4/22/10

<eddys...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

MJB: Whatever you had on your head when you were twelve years old? Or
before hair started migrating from my forehead down my back?

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/