JR/SES next EULA

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 12, 2008, 6:19:11 PM12/12/08
http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2008/12/tom_offers_us_t.html?source=rss

"In the event that a [user] ... either develops a software application,
markets or sells a software application and/or already has developed a
software application, that is either similar to and/or identical to
SchoolCheckIN shall be deemed in violation of this EULA.... Should the
[user] develop and/or cause to be developed a software application either
similar to or identical to SchoolCheckIN, then the AU and/or NAU agrees to
immediately cease distribution of such software. Furthermore, the [user]
will immediately transfer all ownership rights, intellectual property,
copyrights, patents, trademarks, and development rights to such software to
SI. In addition, the [user] shall also immediately transferred to SI all
customers and/or business sales that may have arisen from the sale and/or
use by the marketing of such software by the AU and/or NAU. In addition, as
damages, the [user] agrees to immediately pay to SI the sum of TWO MILLION
DOLLARS ($2,000,000.00)."

Words fail me on this one.

Giftzwerg

Dec 12, 2008, 8:37:36 PM12/12/08
In article <_jC0l.13501$J84....@tornado.fastwebnet.it>,
rec...@hotmail.com says...

Words? Comprehension fails me. WTF? WTFF?

--
Giftzwerg
***

Raymond O'Hara

Dec 12, 2008, 9:58:00 PM12/12/08

"Vincenzo Beretta" <rec...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

it would never stand up in court.

Alan Bernardo

Dec 12, 2008, 11:01:54 PM12/12/08
Hogwash. Two-million dollars? Certainly, right away.

I don't mind the e-license thing a la Strategic Command, but this seven-day
thing is over the top.

Alan

Bloodstar

Dec 13, 2008, 5:36:02 AM12/13/08
Ah, this ng has become some kind of self therapy.

Sobbing and crying out loud of anti DRM crowd who would like to play Jutland
so bad but urm principles are principles :)))))

Mario

ps. will respond to other things later busy right now

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 13, 2008, 6:14:44 AM12/13/08
> Sobbing and crying out loud of anti DRM crowd who would like to play
> Jutland so bad but urm principles are principles :)))))

Having played "Distant Guns", I wouldn't really looking forward to Jutland
anyway.

Now, with an interlocking feature "a la" Panzer Command, where you are able
to install the games toghether *and* start to build an OOB to be used with a
scenario editor or a random scenario generator... then I would be sad to be
missing this series of games. But, as they stand, they offer MUCH LESS than
the venerable "Fightning Steel" with NWS' mods and campaigns built over it.

Bloodstar

Dec 13, 2008, 6:54:31 AM12/13/08
> Having played "Distant Guns", I wouldn't really looking forward to Jutland
> anyway.
>
> Now, with an interlocking feature "a la" Panzer Command, where you are
> able to install the games toghether *and* start to build an OOB to be used
> with a scenario editor or a random scenario generator... then I would be
> sad to be missing this series of games. But, as they stand, they offer
> MUCH LESS than the venerable "Fightning Steel" with NWS' mods and
> campaigns built over it.

I think that you Italian should stick with womanizing as other things don't
suits you well :o)))

BTW, beter even so than to chase goats like some Balkans peasants do or
sheeps :o)))

Well, chasing young German ladies in Stuttgart is a plus in my book.

Raymond O'Hara

Dec 13, 2008, 7:37:08 AM12/13/08

"Bloodstar" <george.w...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

principles,something you don't seem to have.

Jonathan Mars

Dec 13, 2008, 7:38:33 AM12/13/08
"Vincenzo Beretta" <rec...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Someone should notify them that April, 1st 2008 has already come and gone.

Jonathan Mars

Dec 13, 2008, 7:41:58 AM12/13/08

> I think that you Italian should stick with womanizing as other things
> don't suits you well :o)))

In 2008 nor does womanizing.

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 13, 2008, 7:50:00 AM12/13/08

"Bloodstar" <george.w...@microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> [...]

Spring has come earlier for Mario...

Briarroot

Dec 13, 2008, 11:52:10 AM12/13/08
Bloodstar wrote:
> Ah, this ng has become some kind of self therapy.
>
> Sobbing and crying out loud of anti DRM crowd who would like to play Jutland
> so bad but urm principles are principles :)))))

But it isn't *just* a matter of principles, it's also a desire to avoid
getting screwed over by software policies that seem *designed* to annoy
the paying customers. If I want to be annoyed, I can find plenty of
that in everyday life - and without having to pay for the privilege! ;-)

--
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are
shocked and offended to discover that there *are* other views." -

rus4...@hotmail.com

Dec 13, 2008, 12:06:15 PM12/13/08

I'm a collector of things that aren't worth a hell of a lot to begin
with.

I have a boatload of computer games that are still in the wrapper,
most of them from Matrix Games.

I purchase their software because whatever they are worth, as
collector's items, is transferable.

Enter DRM and the notion that the game which I paid for doesn't belong
to me, I'm just sorta borrowing it.

Well, guess what?

If a developer and/or publisher creates a system whereby they can rob
my games of what little value that they DO have, forget it.

I'm not gonna buy the crap.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 15, 2008, 2:10:14 AM12/15/08
On 13 dec, 17:52, Briarroot <briarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bloodstar wrote:
> > Ah, this ng has become some kind of self therapy.
>
> > Sobbing and crying out loud of anti DRM crowd who would like to play Jutland
> > so bad but urm principles are principles :)))))
>
> But it isn't *just* a matter of principles, it's also a desire to avoid
> getting screwed over by software policies that seem *designed* to annoy
> the paying customers.

Here's $10 this 2nd generation DRM will be retro-fitted to the
original Distant Guns. It's soooo much better for the customer after
all.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 15, 2008, 2:13:40 AM12/15/08
On 13 dec, 00:19, "Vincenzo Beretta" <reck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2008/12/tom_offers_us_...

Oh, I thought it would be :

"Dear stinkin' pirate - this software will phone home every 5 minutes
and if for whatever reason it cannot be validated, your game will be
permanently invalidated, your harddisk wiped and your cat neutered."

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Briarroot

Dec 15, 2008, 12:57:25 PM12/15/08

Heh. Their customers must feel like they're enlisting in the service:
"You *will* obey orders - and you will *like* it!"

--
"When it becomes dominated by a collectivist creed, democracy will
inevitably destroy itself." - Fredrich August von Hayek

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 17, 2008, 6:34:44 AM12/17/08
On 15 dec, 18:57, Briarroot <briarr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> eddyster...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >> But it isn't *just* a matter of principles, it's also a desire to avoid
> >> getting screwed over by software policies that seem *designed* to annoy
> >> the paying customers.
>
> > Here's $10 this 2nd generation DRM will be retro-fitted to the
> > original Distant Guns. It's soooo much better for the customer after
> > all.
>
> Heh.  Their customers must feel like they're enlisting in the service:
> "You *will* obey orders - and you will *like* it!"

Well, some don't - and this guy sure made a dent in JR's ego :

"Your comments on this forum have lost you more sales than piracy ever
will. Too bad your DRM can't keep you away from your keyboard..."

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1089891&postcount=102

Post of the day :)

Notice as well that JR et al are getting *no* help at all from the
GameSquad moderators - on the contrary - I see them setting up a forum
of their own just to rectify that mistake.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 17, 2008, 6:49:51 AM12/17/08
> "Your comments on this forum have lost you more sales than piracy
> ever will. Too bad your DRM can't keep you away from your
> keyboard..."

> http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1089891&postcount=102

I'm finding myself envying JR more and more: he has a s*itload of money
*and* the best consultants one could hope for (*) - and for free! I wish I
had his luck. ^_^

(*) Not that he does seem what to do with either...

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 17, 2008, 7:11:59 AM12/17/08
On 17 dec, 12:49, "Vincenzo Beretta" <reck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "Your comments on this forum have lost you more sales than piracy
> > ever will. Too bad your DRM can't keep you away from your
> > keyboard..."
> >http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1089891&postcount=102
>
> I'm finding myself envying JR more and more: he has a s*itload of money
> *and* the best consultants one could hope for (*) - and for free! I wish I
> had his luck. ^_^

The more posts I see by him the more I'm thinking "projection".

Here's a guy, my sources tell me, you can't trust, who'll screw you
without even thinking twice about it if he'll profit from it. A guy
who has (legally) robbed more people than most would think and he sees
pirates trying to rob him everywhere.

Clearest case of projection I've seen for a long time and you've got
to admire the Karma aspects of this as well in that the very thing
which made him rich is now stopping him to gain what he really desires
above all : respect, fame and recognition.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 17, 2008, 8:23:07 AM12/17/08
> Clearest case of projection I've seen for a long time and you've got
> to admire the Karma aspects of this as well in that the very thing
> which made him rich is now stopping him to gain what he really desires
> above all : respect, fame and recognition.

This still doesn't explains why Norm Koger is working for this guy. However,
it could very well explain why Koger isn't putting out his best work under
the SES banner.

Holdit

Dec 17, 2008, 8:26:02 AM12/17/08
In article <98f66aa3-cf30-4c17-b49d-
bed448...@k24g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
says...

Or more simply, the people who are least likely to trust other people
are people who can't be trusted themselves...

Paul

--
As regular readers will know, I'm a happy little atheist and have no truck with
religion -- but beware the pious on either side of the debate...And

Holdit

Dec 17, 2008, 8:30:02 AM12/17/08
In article <4f0084e8-2b20-426b-a790-9acbcdcca3e8
@c36g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com says...

> On 15 dec, 18:57, Briarroot <briarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > eddyster...@hotmail.com wrote:

> > > Here's $10 this 2nd generation DRM will be retro-fitted to the
> > > original Distant Guns. It's soooo much better for the customer after
> > > all.
> >
> > Heh.  Their customers must feel like they're enlisting in the service:
> > "You *will* obey orders - and you will *like* it!"
>
> Well, some don't - and this guy sure made a dent in JR's ego :
>
> "Your comments on this forum have lost you more sales than piracy ever
> will. Too bad your DRM can't keep you away from your keyboard..."
>
> http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1089891&postcount=102
>
> Post of the day :)

It certainly made my day. Did you notice this gem too?

"Sorry the standard demo activation for the software industry is too
hard for you..."

Admittedly, I'm not at the cutting edge of current game technology, but
has activating demos really become standard practice? Shome mishtake
shurely...

Giftzwerg

Dec 17, 2008, 8:40:50 AM12/17/08
In article <MPG.23b30f335...@news.indigo.ie>,
hold...@SPAMindigoPLEASE.ie says...

> > Post of the day :)
> >
> It certainly made my day. Did you notice this gem too?
>
> "Sorry the standard demo activation for the software industry is too
> hard for you..."
>
> Admittedly, I'm not at the cutting edge of current game technology, but
> has activating demos really become standard practice? Shome mishtake
> shurely...

You know what I'm seeing more and more of? *Fake* activations.

Just yesterday, I installed some nameless, budget-bin .pdf-making
software (Adobe has gotten a bit obnoxious with their pricing on
Acrobat...) and, after putting in my serial#, it opened a dialog box for
"activation."

Trouble is, my firewall / security software didn't register any network
traffic.

So I installed the software on another machine with a Wireshark trap in
place. Not a byte of traffic.

--
Giftzwerg
***

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 17, 2008, 8:49:03 AM12/17/08
On 17 dec, 14:23, "Vincenzo Beretta" <reck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Clearest case of projection I've seen for a long time and you've got
> > to admire the Karma aspects of this as well in that the very thing
> > which made him rich is now stopping him to gain what he really desires
> > above all : respect, fame and recognition.
>
> This still doesn't explains why Norm Koger is working for this guy.

They're buddies. Says JR. What Norm Koger thinks is anyone's guess but
as long as that monthly paycheck arrives on time and he can program
wargames I can imagine him not caring too much.

> However,
> it could very well explain why Koger isn't putting out his best work under
> the SES banner.

For all I know it's a fine game - but I'm not even going to bother
downloading the demo as it needs to communicate back with the SES
server to work and I'm not having any of that on a pc with my banking
software on it.

Paranoid ? With a guy as JR you need to be - trust me.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

rus4...@hotmail.com

Dec 17, 2008, 2:57:00 PM12/17/08
On Dec 17, 7:49 am, "eddyster...@hotmail.com"

Same here.

No spyware please.

Graham Thurlwell

Dec 18, 2008, 10:47:39 AM12/18/08
On the 17 Dec 2008, Giftzwerg <giftzw...@NOSPAMS.hotmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

> You know what I'm seeing more and more of? *Fake* activations.

> Just yesterday, I installed some nameless, budget-bin .pdf-making
> software (Adobe has gotten a bit obnoxious with their pricing on
> Acrobat...) and, after putting in my serial#, it opened a dialog box for
> "activation."

> Trouble is, my firewall / security software didn't register any network
> traffic.

> So I installed the software on another machine with a Wireshark trap in
> place. Not a byte of traffic.

Could be that the programmers told the publisher "of course we'll put
in activation, guv" then knocked up a fake activation window and spent
the rest of the six months DRM development time down the pub. ;-)

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nos...@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

Giftzwerg

Dec 18, 2008, 3:59:48 PM12/18/08
In article <c066ad0f...@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com>,
nos...@jades.org says...

> > You know what I'm seeing more and more of? *Fake* activations.
>
> > Just yesterday, I installed some nameless, budget-bin .pdf-making
> > software (Adobe has gotten a bit obnoxious with their pricing on
> > Acrobat...) and, after putting in my serial#, it opened a dialog box for
> > "activation."
>
> > Trouble is, my firewall / security software didn't register any network
> > traffic.
>
> > So I installed the software on another machine with a Wireshark trap in
> > place. Not a byte of traffic.
>
> Could be that the programmers told the publisher "of course we'll put
> in activation, guv" then knocked up a fake activation window and spent
> the rest of the six months DRM development time down the pub. ;-)

I think they - perhaps correctly - assumed that the mere appearance of
an activation scheme would keep casual piracy down somewhat, without any
expenditure of effort.

It's like the old saying about door locks; "They only keep the honest
people out."

von Schmidt

Dec 18, 2008, 5:12:07 PM12/18/08
On Dec 18, 8:59 pm, Giftzwerg <giftzwerg...@NOSPAMS.hotmail.com>
wrote:
> In article <c066ad0f50.ja...@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com>,

> nos...@jades.org says...
>

> > > You know what I'm seeing more and more of?  *Fake* activations.
>
> > > Just yesterday, I installed some nameless, budget-bin .pdf-making
> > > software (Adobe has gotten a bit obnoxious with their pricing on
> > > Acrobat...) and, after putting in my serial#, it opened a dialog box for
> > > "activation."
>
> > > Trouble is, my firewall / security software didn't register any network
> > > traffic.
>
> > > So I installed the software on another machine with a Wireshark trap in
> > > place.  Not a byte of traffic.
>
> > Could be that the programmers told the publisher "of course we'll put
> > in activation, guv" then knocked up a fake activation window and spent
> > the rest of the six months DRM development time down the pub. ;-)
>
> I think they - perhaps correctly - assumed that the mere appearance of
> an activation scheme would keep casual piracy down somewhat, without any
> expenditure of effort.
>
> It's like the old saying about door locks; "They only keep the honest
> people out."
>
> --
> Giftzwerg

"Locks are to keep honest people honest"

-von Schmidt

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 2:18:46 AM12/19/08
On 18 dec, 21:59, Giftzwerg <giftzwerg...@NOSPAMS.hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <c066ad0f50.ja...@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com>,

> nos...@jades.org says...
> > > You know what I'm seeing more and more of?  *Fake* activations.
>
> > > Just yesterday, I installed some nameless, budget-bin .pdf-making
> > > software (Adobe has gotten a bit obnoxious with their pricing on
> > > Acrobat...) and, after putting in my serial#, it opened a dialog box for
> > > "activation."
>
> > > Trouble is, my firewall / security software didn't register any network
> > > traffic.
>
> > > So I installed the software on another machine with a Wireshark trap in
> > > place.  Not a byte of traffic.
>
> > Could be that the programmers told the publisher "of course we'll put
> > in activation, guv" then knocked up a fake activation window and spent
> > the rest of the six months DRM development time down the pub. ;-)
>
> I think they - perhaps correctly - assumed that the mere appearance of
> an activation scheme would keep casual piracy down somewhat, without any
> expenditure of effort.

These guys are on to something :)

As to telling your boss you've put a feature in, while you didn't
because it was too daft for words ... Ahum ... <whistles>

We once had a boss who didn't even know the basics of IT so you ended
up with assignments like "program a WWII simulation on a 1-1 scale in
3D in a week". Luckily we always managed to get additional "projects"
approved like "reindex the databases for faster access" (got us a week
at least because there where *millions* of records) or "make the
program printer-independant" (another week).

Another time we modified a program so that it would show a particular
behaviour, but just when a specific guy was using it, the guy who
*insisted* we put that (useless) behaviour in there. Purely cosmetic
stuff.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 19, 2008, 4:35:15 AM12/19/08
> Could be that the programmers told the publisher "of course we'll put
> in activation, guv" then knocked up a fake activation window and spent
> the rest of the six months DRM development time down the pub. ;-)

JS does seem able to do both things at the same time ^_^

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 4:58:37 AM12/19/08

Could the explanation for his posts and general behaviour be that
simple ? Drinking too much "juice" at the pub ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 19, 2008, 4:52:48 PM12/19/08
> Could the explanation for his posts and general behaviour be that
> simple ? Drinking too much "juice" at the pub ?

...*While* programming the activation scheme. This would explain a lot. :^)

Raymond O'Hara

Dec 20, 2008, 12:28:04 PM12/20/08

"von Schmidt" <von_s...@mail.com> wrote in message

-von Schmidt

"Laws are pointless, honest people don't need them, crooks ignore them"
U Utah Phillips, acclaimed folk singer and renowned anarchist.

Miowarra Tomokatu (aka Tomo)

Dec 20, 2008, 3:20:32 PM12/20/08
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:11:59 -0800 (PST), "eddys...@hotmail.com"
<eddys...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 17 dec, 12:49, "Vincenzo Beretta" <reck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > "Your comments on this forum have lost you more sales than piracy
>> > ever will. Too bad your DRM can't keep you away from your
>> > keyboard..."
>> >http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1089891&postcount=102
>>
>> I'm finding myself envying JR more and more: he has a s*itload of money
>> *and* the best consultants one could hope for (*) - and for free! I wish I
>> had his luck. ^_^
>
>The more posts I see by him the more I'm thinking "projection".
>
>Here's a guy, my sources tell me, you can't trust, who'll screw you
>without even thinking twice about it if he'll profit from it. A guy
>who has (legally) robbed more people than most would think and he sees
>pirates trying to rob him everywhere.

News from the Home Front, Eddie.

That's how you get to BE rich in the first place!

I look at "rich" and that's a prima facie case for "criminal,
unconvicted" and "personally obnoxious - do not let him know your
hoime address".