CM:SF Preview from Wargamer..

bil.hard...@earthlink.net

May 26, 2007, 5:52:59 PM5/26/07
Looking more and more like a must have game to me:
http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/cmsf_preview/default.asp

Bil

Giftzwerg

May 26, 2007, 8:57:07 PM5/26/07
In article <1180216379.1...@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
bil.hard...@earthlink.net says...

> Looking more and more like a must have game to me:
> http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/cmsf_preview/default.asp

Looking more and more like a must-avoid game to me:

http://www.battlefront.com/elicense_faq.html

Whee. Won't fucking with *this* nightmare be fun:

"I'm getting an error message when I try to get my license. What does it
mean?"

Here is a list of error messages, their meanings, and what you
should do. Note that the messages are by number - error messages
generally have a text message, often telling you what to do, but the
number is the primary reference. Also note that when the number has a
minus (-) sign, that is important: error 11 and error -11 mean different
things. The minus sign is used for errors which have to do with
communication between the eLicense software on your computer and the
license servers.

If you are having a problem and you need to contact us please
email us at elic...@battlefront.com. Be sure to give us the exact
message you see, including the number.

-3
Error on license servers.
Indicates a problem with the data returned from the
license server. This may be remedied by correct proxy settings.
Sometimes it can be caused by the presence of personal firewall software
on the computer. Contact us using at elic...@battlefront.com at once!
Please provide exact details on the steps leading up to the error
occurring.

-4
Error in parsing data returned from license servers.
Indicates a problem with the data returned from the
license server. This may be remedied by correct proxy settings.
Sometimes it can be caused by the presence of personal firewall software
on the computer. Contact us using at elic...@battlefront.com at once!
Please provide exact details on the steps leading up to the error
occurring.

-9
The connection to the license servers has timed out.
This means the eLicense software is unable to connect to
the internet or to a proxy server from your computer. Check your network
connections, and try different proxy settings if applicable.

-10
A connection to the license servers could not be
established.
This means the eLicense software is not establishing a
two-way conversation with the eLicense servers. Check your proxy
settings and try different combinations of proxy configuration to
connect.

-11
Windows sockets initialization failed.
This indicates a problem with your Windows sockets
configuration. It is usually a system problem and not specific to
eLicense. Getting your browser to work properly will usually provide a
solution.
-12
This error occurs when you have a personal
firewall/proxy installed on your computer. You may need to disable the
personal firewall/proxy software temporarily to get your license. The
specific process to do this is listed above here

8
License installation failure.
This indicates an internal error on the license servers.
Please
contact technical support at elic...@battlefront.com
11
There are no licenses currently available for this Order
ID.
There are a restricted number of licenses available with
product (usually two). This error means that all the available licenses
are in use. You should unlicense the product on one of the systems it is
installed on to "free up" a license.

23
"Sorry, could not get a license at this time..."
This error indicates a problem with the eLicense
software on your computer. " ...get a license" does not refer to license
acquisition from the eLicense servers, it refers to the eLicensed
application being unable to retrieve license data on your computer. With
older versions of eLicense, this error may occur on Windows XP when
using the Fast Switch feature, and the logged-on user is not the owner
of the program. This error will also occur when trying to run eLicensed
software via Terminal Server or Remote Desktop.

96
License installation failure.
This error indicates that you generated a offline
license request but did not use it, then you generated a new offline
request and went to the website but pasted in the original request. In
order to resolve this issue, create a new offline request and be sure
that is the one you use when you go to the license website
www.license.net

97
License installation failure.
This error shows that your off-line license is incorrect
or incomplete. It can also appear when you're trying to install an "off-
line license" using your "license REQUEST" file. In such a case, you
have to first enter your request on the www.license.net website to
generate your off-line license, and use THAT file (usually called
license.txt) to install the license.

98
License installation failure.
Please make sure you have pasted all of the offline
license data into the dialog. If you still receive this error, this
indicates an internal error on the license servers. Please contact
technical support at elic...@battlefront.com

999
Unknown error. Try again, and if the problem persists,
contact us at elic...@battlefront.com. Please provide exact details on
the steps leading up to the error occurring.

12004
Request date is invalid. Check your system clock.
Processing terminated.
This error indicates that your system clock on your
computer is mis-set. Check your clock and make sure that the year, date
and day are correct. Once you have fixed your clock setting, retry to
submit your license key. "

Oh. Joy. Oh. Rapture.

"Battlefront: Not *Too* Many Fucking Ways To Lose!!!!"

--
Giftzwerg
***

We are giving the Islamists the message that we are theirs for the
taking. This is how liberalism may disappear up its own backside."
- Melanie Phillips

Rob Pollard

May 27, 2007, 5:21:54 AM5/27/07
This sounds really bad. I'm glad I got my combat mission games before this
crap came out. Are they applying it to digital downloads only or are DVD/CD
products going to be affected to? If this is the case then that is a deal
breaker for me....

RobP

"Giftzwerg" <giftzw...@NOSPAMZ.hotmail.com> wrote in message

eddys...@hotmail.com

May 27, 2007, 5:51:59 AM5/27/07
On 27 mei, 11:21, "Rob Pollard" <robertapoll...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds really bad. I'm glad I got my combat mission games before this
> crap came out. Are they applying it to digital downloads only or are DVD/CD
> products going to be affected to? If this is the case then that is a deal
> breaker for me....

AFAIK the delivery format doesn't matter, so both digital download and
DVD/CD are in/affected by this

Then again : at Battlefront it's the developers call as Major H's
TacOps doesn't have *any* copy protection whatsoever.

As a Combat Mission fan this one might undermine my default eLicence-
No Sale policy provided they managed to work around the problems
associated with asymmetrical warfare - which I think are a bigger
hurdle than most people realize.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

MJB

May 27, 2007, 8:47:37 AM5/27/07

<eddys...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 27 mei, 11:21, "Rob Pollard" <robertapoll...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> This sounds really bad. I'm glad I got my combat mission games before
>> this
>> crap came out. Are they applying it to digital downloads only or are
>> DVD/CD
>> products going to be affected to? If this is the case then that is a deal
>> breaker for me....
>
> AFAIK the delivery format doesn't matter, so both digital download and
> DVD/CD are in/affected by this

No sale from me either then. And I was really looking forward to combat
mission: shock force.

<shrug>

Oh well, I've got other equally interesting games I haven't even installed
on my computer yet. Yet alone played. And to be completely honest, I
haven't really played CM:AK to enough to justify buying CM:SF.

Too many games available to play but too little available play-time to be
willing to deal with intrusive e-licenses.

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

James D Burns

May 27, 2007, 10:16:28 AM5/27/07
"Rob Pollard" <roberta...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> This sounds really bad. I'm glad I got my combat mission games before this
> crap came out. Are they applying it to digital downloads only or are
> DVD/CD products going to be affected to? If this is the case then that is
> a deal breaker for me....
>
> RobP

The shame of it is I used to be a sight unseen buyer of all their games. Now
I will never buy another product from them again. Of course with all the
thwarted pirates they are forcing into buying their games (read - none,
nadda, zilch) due to this e-license crap they are shoving down everyone's
throats, I guess they could give a crap about losing a great customer like
me.

E-licensing = NO SALE!

Jim

sideways - Brewski in one hand - cigar in the other - body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Charles Foster Kane

May 27, 2007, 12:20:13 PM5/27/07
bil.hard...@earthlink.net wrote:
> Looking more and more like a must have game to me:
> http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/cmsf_preview/default.asp

Did anyone else notice the preview is done exclusively from the US side?
Yes, the US player will get the cooler stuff, so the pictures are more
attractive, but shouldn't a (p)review also show a bit how it is to play
the Syrian side? After all you supposedly CAN play this against another
human, right?

Rob Pollard

May 27, 2007, 12:51:35 PM5/27/07
Lol!!! If the reviewer lives in the States and played the otherside in the
game, the way things are going on the otherside of the pond, the patriot act
would get thrown at him and he will be playing CM:SF from Guantanamo Bay...
:)

RobP

"Charles Foster Kane" <cf_...@online.de> wrote in message

JAB

May 27, 2007, 1:01:16 PM5/27/07
Rob Pollard wrote:
> Lol!!! If the reviewer lives in the States and played the otherside in the
> game, the way things are going on the otherside of the pond, the patriot act
> would get thrown at him and he will be playing CM:SF from Guantanamo Bay...
> :)

Consorting with the enemy no doubt. Maybe it's not a e-license issue but
monitoring those people who want to play against the US forces ... :-)

MJB

May 27, 2007, 1:26:39 PM5/27/07

"JAB" <noch...@nohope.com> wrote in message

Hmmm, you could make a legitimate argument (in terms of the USA 'Patriot
act') that playing the OPFOR in a game like CM:SF is engaging in terrorist
training via a personal computer. If would-be terrorists can learn how to
fly passenger jets using commerical flight simulators and the US military
uses FPShooters as 'recruiting / training' tool, how it being the OPFOR not
open to being construed as potential terrorist training? With the goal of
learning how to defeat the US military using the tools the 'Syrian' regime
in CM:SF has available to it. Certainly one more reason why I would NOT
want an e-license from the publishers on file when the justice department
and department of homeland security comes calling.

<weak grin>

NO SALE!

JAB

May 27, 2007, 2:15:46 PM5/27/07

Well in the UK it look's they are going to make another amendment to out
anti-terrorist laws which will help not one little bit.

JAB

May 27, 2007, 2:24:07 PM5/27/07

Oh and this comes a week after politicians voted to exclude themselves
from the Freedom of Information act. Strangely enough their normal
mantra of 'If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear."
didn't apply in this case.