Windows 7 - Anything to know related to wargames?

Vincenzo Beretta

Sep 1, 2010, 2:07:00 AM9/1/10
I finally installed Windows 7 on my machine, along with a new GeForce 470GTX
graphic card. I'm quite happy with the setup: graphics under DX11 just
scream... which is not really in-topic here : o)

More IT, is there something I should be aware of regarding wargames? To my
surprise, the CMx1 run just fine, and so does TOAW. Any problem/surprises
with other titles I should be aware of?

HermanH

Sep 1, 2010, 2:15:58 AM9/1/10
On Sep 1, 12:07 am, "Vincenzo Beretta" <reckallNOS...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Some guys report problems getting ANW to run graphics properly on
their Win7 64-bit systems. I'm sure it is high on your list of
priorities. ^___^

eddys...@hotmail.com

Sep 1, 2010, 2:40:57 AM9/1/10

I'd say that with Win7 32-bit you'll be fine, but the 64-bit version
has some problems .. well, it's more like some programs have a problem
with the 64-bit OS but that's not how one tends to look at it.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg

Sep 1, 2010, 6:50:55 AM9/1/10
In article <i5kqi9$dpm$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, reckal...@hotmail.com
says...

I haven't seen a single problem, and I'm running the 64 bit version.

I will always give Microsoft that; they are fucking geniuses at building
systems that legacy software will run on. Good luck running that 1998
version of Photoshop on your new Mac, Apple cultist.

--
Giftzwerg
***

eddys...@hotmail.com

Sep 1, 2010, 7:04:59 AM9/1/10
On Sep 1, 11:50 am, Giftzwerg <giftzwerg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <i5kqi9$dp...@speranza.aioe.org>, reckallNOS...@hotmail.com

> says...
>
> > I finally installed Windows 7 on my machine, along with a new GeForce 470GTX
> > graphic card. I'm quite happy with the setup: graphics under DX11 just
> > scream... which is not really in-topic here : o)
>
> > More IT, is there something I should be aware of regarding wargames? To my
> > surprise, the CMx1 run just fine, and so does TOAW. Any problem/surprises
> > with other titles I should be aware of?
>
> I haven't seen a single problem, and I'm running the 64 bit version.
>
> I will always give Microsoft that; they are fucking geniuses at building
> systems that legacy software will run on.
> Good luck running that 1998
> version of Photoshop on your new Mac, Apple cultist.

Good luck trying to run a 16-bit installer program from 1998 on your
Windows 7 64-bit version.

I've got a 12-page document here I created myself detailing how to get
some legacy app installed and it's just an inch short of magic
incantations.

Also, the 2004 version of Business Objects, the standard SAP reporting
tool, so not a kiddie application, won't work on the 64-bit version.

In general I agree with your observation that M$ does a good, even
great job here, but while we have zero problems with the 32-bit
version, there are some with the 64-bit version. For instance : a 16-
bit wargame : forget about it.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg

Sep 1, 2010, 7:14:24 AM9/1/10
In article <3cd7a361-7b5d-4f0c-8ee3-
77a54e...@h19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
says...

> > I will always give Microsoft that; they are fucking geniuses at building
> > systems that legacy software will run on.
> > Good luck running that 1998
> > version of Photoshop on your new Mac, Apple cultist.
>
> Good luck trying to run a 16-bit installer program from 1998 on your
> Windows 7 64-bit version.

VMWare or Hyper-V? Heck, you even get the software and the licensing
with Win7.

> In general I agree with your observation that M$ does a good, even
> great job here, but while we have zero problems with the 32-bit
> version, there are some with the 64-bit version. For instance : a 16-
> bit wargame : forget about it.

... and 8-bit is right out.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Sep 1, 2010, 7:19:03 AM9/1/10
On Sep 1, 12:14 pm, Giftzwerg <giftzwerg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <3cd7a361-7b5d-4f0c-8ee3-
> 77a54eb15...@h19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, eddyster...@hotmail.com

> says...
>
> > > I will always give Microsoft that; they are fucking geniuses at building
> > > systems that legacy software will run on.
> > > Good luck running that 1998
> > > version of Photoshop on your new Mac, Apple cultist.
>
> > Good luck trying to run a 16-bit installer program from 1998 on your
> > Windows 7 64-bit version.
>
> VMWare or Hyper-V?  Heck, you even get the software and the licensing
> with Win7.

Oh, there are always a work-around I suppose, but the point is that
we're not having these troubles with the 32-bit version - so just a
caveat for the 64-bit version.

> > In general I agree with your observation that M$ does a good, even
> > great job here, but while we have zero problems with the 32-bit
> > version, there are some with the 64-bit version. For instance : a 16-
> > bit wargame : forget about it.
>
> ... and 8-bit is right out.

GOG to the rescue ! :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Jaz

Sep 1, 2010, 6:11:43 PM9/1/10
"eddys...@hotmail.com" <eddys...@hotmail.com> wrote in
m:

Heh, I pulled the trigger on Windows XP x64 (don't ask...), and forgot
about the kids games that are 16-bit. Oops. Hello, VirtualBox! The
kids can figure it out, too.

DirkG

Sep 1, 2010, 9:22:30 PM9/1/10

I suggest you install pre-Vista games in a folder of your own, not the
default Program Files they usually go into. Program Files is a
protected area and some games have problems with that. It's also a
hassle deleting or moving files in there manually since you'll get the
request for Administrator permission every time you do. I just created
a root folder called Games and install in there instead to avoid any
possible problems. Vista and Win 7 aware games should have no problem
installing to their default folders. For the most part I've found most
games that worked in XP work in Win 7. I've been through both Vista x64
and I'm now in Win 7 x64. I use XP Pro x86 in Virtualbox to play
Talonsoft Battleground games. I was dual booting into XP on a second
drive to play Combat Mission 3 which was a hassle, but on a whim I
installed in Win 7 again and it worked with no tweaks at all. I
installed into Games like I described earlier. So I probably won't boot
into XP any more. If you're updating from XP, you may have hardware
issues. Gameport stuff is dead, and scanners and some printers don't
have updated drivers.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Sep 2, 2010, 1:58:59 AM9/2/10
On Sep 2, 2:22 am, DirkG <a...@a.com> wrote:

> I just created
> a root folder called Games and install in there instead to avoid any
> possible problems.

Same here - I've been doing that for a decade now - also notice how
the default install directory for for instance Matrix games is not
"program files" just to avoid these types of problems.

> and scanners and some printers don't
> have updated drivers.

There's that 64-bit issue again. I keep wondering what people's main
reason is to go with 64-bit instead of 32-bit. Are they running an
Oracle SQL server on their desktop ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Holdit

Sep 2, 2010, 4:14:31 AM9/2/10
In article <79c4c251-0709-4a5d-ab0c-
32cc2f...@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
says...

I'd guess that it's because of addressable memory and bigger video cards
that eat into it if you have a 32-bit system.

As for the software, I don't know what wargames would need it but FSX
would probably justify it, particularly if run with 3rd party scenery,
aircraft, ATC...

Holdit

--
"I watched the footage of Saddam being executed, and it really made me
think...it made me think, is there nothing on the Internet that I won't

DirkG

Sep 2, 2010, 6:00:27 AM9/2/10
On 9/2/2010 4:14 AM, Holdit wrote:
> In article<79c4c251-0709-4a5d-ab0c-
> 32cc2f...@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
> says...
>> On Sep 2, 2:22 am, DirkG<a...@a.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just created
>>> a root folder called Games and install in there instead to avoid any
>>> possible problems.
>>
>> Same here - I've been doing that for a decade now - also notice how
>> the default install directory for for instance Matrix games is not
>> "program files" just to avoid these types of problems.
>>
>>> and scanners and some printers don't
>>> have updated drivers.
>>
>> There's that 64-bit issue again. I keep wondering what people's main
>> reason is to go with 64-bit instead of 32-bit. Are they running an
>> Oracle SQL server on their desktop ?
>>

> I'd guess that it's because of addressable memory and bigger video cards
> that eat into it if you have a 32-bit system.
>
> As for the software, I don't know what wargames would need it but FSX
> would probably justify it, particularly if run with 3rd party scenery,
> aircraft, ATC...
>
> Holdit

Yeah, 4 GB of system memory is pretty common nowadays, and 6 GB isn't
uncommon either. I'm running 4 GB with 1 GB on my video card. It's
more a question of why not x64 rather than x86. My hardware wouldn't
run on x86 Vista and Win 7 any more than the x64 version. My wife's
laptop came with Vista x86 and my old Dell laptop I upgraded to x86 Win
7 because it isn't capable of x64. So I've used both.

Giftzwerg

Sep 2, 2010, 7:17:48 AM9/2/10
In article <79c4c251-0709-4a5d-ab0c-
32cc2f...@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
says...

> > and scanners and some printers don't

> > have updated drivers.
>
> There's that 64-bit issue again. I keep wondering what people's main
> reason is to go with 64-bit instead of 32-bit. Are they running an
> Oracle SQL server on their desktop ?

My main reason was that with larger and larger (and now dual) video
cards (and other addressable thingies), I was losing more than *half* of
my 4GB limit on a 32-bit OS. It's one thing to get by with 4GB, but
1.8GB is soooooooooo 2005.

The other thing is that image editing in LIGHTROOM and PHOTOSHOP
*really* takes advantage of the extra memory and a 64-bit system now
that native 64-bit code is available. Put a 64-bit machine with 8GB RAM
next to a 32-bit machine with 4GB, and open your LIGHTROOM catalog, and
you *really* see the difference. It's like night and day.

Even 32-bit stuff goes waaaaaay faster, just because more data gets
along the tubes in the same time. I get better performance (though not
as "better" as in PHOTOSHOP) with 3D games like FALLOUT3.

And the only downside I saw was, yeah, a couple of programs don't run
anymore, and (yeah) I had to get a new scanner - but if you're using
memory-hungry programs that have 64-bit versions available, you'll see a
marked increase in performance.

There are also important security advantages, kernel patch protection,
drivers and the like, but a clueful user probably has his 32-bit system
pretty well protected anyhow.

--
Giftzwerg
***

eddys...@hotmail.com

Sep 2, 2010, 8:28:51 AM9/2/10
On Sep 2, 12:17 pm, Giftzwerg <giftzwerg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> And the only downside I saw was, yeah, a couple of programs don't run
> anymore, and (yeah) I had to get a new scanner - but if you're using
> memory-hungry programs that have 64-bit versions available, you'll see a
> marked increase in performance.

@work there's no limit to the amount of memory I could use, but my
home requirements are much lighter - surfing & wargames take up 95% of
the time so there's no push for me to "go 64". The old IT saying of
"If it works, don't mess with it" plays a role too

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg

Sep 2, 2010, 9:20:45 AM9/2/10
In article <86ab9fd7-e686-47bf-bd4d-
fca24f...@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
says...

My bottom line advice for anyone is:

"If you're into heavy-duty imaging or video production (and I certainly
am...) or cutting-edge 3D gaming (I'm sorta not-that-much...) then the
upside of 64-bit and 8+GB of RAM probably exceeds the downside. And if
you don't have any/much legacy hardware or software around, then you
might just as well get the 64-bit. If you don't need the extra power
and do have legacy hardware / software, then stick with 32-bit for now."

Having said that, though, I was recently setting up two identical HP
laptops, except that one had 64-bit Win7 and the 32-bit Win7. The 64
bit model was significantly snappier to work with.