Ironclads : American Civil War - Released

eddys...@hotmail.com

Oct 13, 2008, 3:38:17 AM10/13/08

This ACW naval turned-based wargame is available as of now. There's
also an updated demo.

http://www.totemgames.ru/main_en.html

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg

Oct 13, 2008, 7:16:22 AM10/13/08
In article <2ba7cb7d-b797-4b80-8e28-
72213c...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
says...

> This ACW naval turned-based wargame is available as of now. There's
> also an updated demo.
>
> http://www.totemgames.ru/main_en.html

Released! A month ago it was an alpha that didn't even work.

Released!?!

--
Giftzwerg
***

Mike Kreuzer

Oct 13, 2008, 7:30:21 AM10/13/08
"Giftzwerg" <giftzw...@NOSPAMS.hotmail.com> wrote in message

The demo runs on vista now ... but I'm not sure I understand what's going
on now it does run. Possibly that's just me.

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com

eddys...@hotmail.com

Oct 13, 2008, 7:44:33 AM10/13/08
On 13 okt, 13:30, "Mike Kreuzer" <m...@FIRSTNAMEkreuzer.com> wrote:

> The demo runs on vista now ... but I'm not sure I understand what's going
> on now it does run. Possibly that's just me.

Although I didn't even bother to try the new demo I can assure you
that most likely it's not just you.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg

Oct 13, 2008, 7:46:49 AM10/13/08
In article <48f3...@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, mi...@FIRSTNAMEkreuzer.com
says...

> The demo runs on vista now ... but I'm not sure I understand what's going
> on now it does run. Possibly that's just me.

What a sparkling endorsement.

Giftzwerg

Oct 13, 2008, 8:09:40 AM10/13/08
In article <727f9113-38dc-458d-bb9f-a94b92862d80
@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com says...

> > The demo runs on vista now ... but I'm not sure I understand what's going
> > on now it does run. Possibly that's just me.
>
> Although I didn't even bother to try the new demo I can assure you
> that most likely it's not just you.

I got it working this time, but mouse response is so quirky and
unresponsive that it's just not ready. Much of the time, I just have to
randomly click until I can get a shot off, and the firing procedure
doesn't work as described.

Color me, "still interested."

Giftzwerg

Oct 13, 2008, 9:24:55 AM10/13/08
In article <MPG.235d048ad...@news-east.giganews.com>,
giftzw...@NOSPAMS.hotmail.com says...

> > > The demo runs on vista now ... but I'm not sure I understand what's going
> > > on now it does run. Possibly that's just me.
> >
> > Although I didn't even bother to try the new demo I can assure you
> > that most likely it's not just you.
>
> I got it working this time, but mouse response is so quirky and
> unresponsive that it's just not ready. Much of the time, I just have to
> randomly click until I can get a shot off, and the firing procedure
> doesn't work as described.
>
> Color me, "still interested."

Yeah, the mouse responsiveness is just nonexistent. Click-click-click-
click .... nothing. Before this can go anywhere, it's gotta be a nice,
crisp "click" and <icon here> responds.

Giftzwerg

Oct 13, 2008, 6:28:44 PM10/13/08
In article <MPG.235d16355...@news-east.giganews.com>,
giftzw...@NOSPAMS.hotmail.com says...

> Yeah, the mouse responsiveness is just nonexistent. Click-click-click-
> click .... nothing. Before this can go anywhere, it's gotta be a nice,
> crisp "click" and <icon here> responds.

Much better, though, on a muuuuuuuuch faster graphics rig. Not bad,
even.

Ultimately, though, this game is completely ridiculous since the turns
are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long for a system that
features no opportunity fire; the game devolves into a series of
maneuvers on both sides where ships zip past each other *completely
immune from fire* and cutting right through the opposing fleet dealing
out broadsides in each direction.

Total arcade action!

"Crossing the enemy's T" - a strategy which, in real life, works
beautifully - fails totally here since *you can't fire* while the enemy
approaches your line. You just sit there, impotent, as the enemy sails
right up, breaks your battle line, and tears you up. Oh, sure, next
turn you return the favor ... but 100 turns of this would be ludicrous.
Most hilariously, I managed to sail a fast gunboat in an "S" pattern
through two Union steam frigates and give them *both* a broadside
without receiving a single Minie ball of return fire. Wheeeee! Hahaha!
Beware my sting!

The solution is to either install a TacAI that can fire your weapons as
they bear during the enemy's turn ... or just shorten the turns.

Daddy

Oct 13, 2008, 8:34:01 PM10/13/08
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:16:22 -0400, Giftzwerg wrote:

> In article <2ba7cb7d-b797-4b80-8e28-
> 72213c...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
> says...
>
>> This ACW naval turned-based wargame is available as of now. There's
>> also an updated demo.
>>
>> http://www.totemgames.ru/main_en.html
>
> Released! A month ago it was an alpha that didn't even work.
>
> Released!?!

Hey, when the rents due.... ya do what ya gotta do... :-)