Combat Mission : Normandy - new screenshots & info

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 24, 2009, 3:44:14 AM12/24/09

All to be found here :

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90197

Looking good and it surprisingly sounds like they're almost finished
with it. It also looks like they've finally caved in on the QB issue,
probably as a gesture of peace towards the old fanbase.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 24, 2009, 4:25:18 AM12/24/09

<eddys...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

Either that or towards intelligence.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 24, 2009, 4:48:48 AM12/24/09
On 24 dec, 10:25, "Vincenzo Beretta" <reck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> <eddyster...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggionews:48f16034-ef76-4a1a...@21g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...

> > Hi,
>
> > All to be found here :
>
> >http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90197
>
> > Looking good and it surprisingly sounds like they're almost finished
> > with it. It also looks like they've finally caved in on the QB issue,
> > probably as a gesture of peace towards the old fanbase.
>
> Either that or towards intelligence.

It's quit funny that almost every change to CM:SF since it first got
released was to bring it closer to what CMx1 used to be, all the while
stating at the forum that the CMx1 way of doing things was old & wrong
and that they wouldn't go there *ever* again.

In a while they'll end up with a game that plays just like CMx1, but
looks 10 times better. I can live with that :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

RobP

Dec 24, 2009, 8:21:32 AM12/24/09
<eddys...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Looking forward to this one. Just been playing the British Campaign in CM:SF
and have been having a blast. So far I have not had any issues with the AI.
In fact on one or two occasions it surprised me at how well it worked. For
example I had two squads in a building and set up one of them to move
quickly across a road to assault the building opposite. As my troops left
their building the enemy started to open fire from the upper windows, but
luckily my over watch squad immediately returned fire and suppressed them. I
was surprised because I had not given the over watch squad any particular
orders.

To have this translated to WW2 will be a blast and extremely challenging.

When this one comes out I'll be dropping my cash :)

RobP
www.AncientArmies.co.uk

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 24, 2009, 8:40:17 AM12/24/09
On 24 dec, 14:21, "RobP" <robertapoll...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> To have this translated to WW2 will be a blast and extremely challenging.

Yeah, us WW2 freaks are thanking the ancient gods Battlefront is using
the modern setting to iron out the kinks in their CMx2 engine. Let
those guys do the beta testing we say :)

This time they're staying away from Paradox too, so it will probably
be a playable game on release as well.

> When this one comes out I'll be dropping my cash :)

.. and I'll be reading the forums first :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 24, 2009, 9:38:40 AM12/24/09
> In a while they'll end up with a game that plays just like CMx1, but
> looks 10 times better.

...While covering 1/10 of the timespan covered by CM1...

I really can't wait for CMx3: West Omaha.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 24, 2009, 9:53:02 AM12/24/09
On 24 dec, 15:38, "Vincenzo Beretta" <reck...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > In a while they'll end up with a game that plays just like CMx1, but
> > looks 10 times better.
>
> ...While covering 1/10 of the timespan covered by CM1...

Yeah, I know, teensy-weensy modules scope-wise and incompatible base
games, but as the future of Panzer Command is iffy at best it looks
like they'll be the only brewery in town when it comes to 3D tactical
WWII warfare games.

The original CMx1 games are really showing their age now so they've
become somewhat unplayable for me.

There's still the little matter of the DRM, but I might overlook that
if they manage to produce a real classic.

> I really can't wait for CMx3: West Omaha.

LOL - well, at least it'll have Point du Hoc then - East Omaha will be
pretty dreary :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 25, 2009, 2:57:57 AM12/25/09
> The original CMx1 games are really showing their age now so they've
> become somewhat unplayable for me.

Talking about the "wargame of the decade" made me to fire up the original CM
and CM:BB, and I still like them a lot. The graphics are dated - which means
nothing, and, BTW, they can be modded - but the gameplay and the feeling are
still unique.

KG_Jag

Dec 28, 2009, 2:50:28 PM12/28/09
As a "bonus" more Steve at his "best", starting at post #78 here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90197&page=8

Anyone feel like flying a plane into a building?! ...didn't think
so.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 29, 2009, 2:43:00 AM12/29/09
On 28 dec, 20:50, KG_Jag <wburb...@netscape.net> wrote:
> As a "bonus" more Steve at his "best", starting at post #78 here:
>
> http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90197&page=8

Against Geordie no less, who is probably the most evenhanded,
knowledgeable and fair person I know regarding CM:SF

Let me quote Steve once again : "I'll put it out right now that an
artificially positive Forum has far, far more value than one that has
completely "gone to the dogs".

The funny thing is that all the things they're now putting into CM:N
are the things that were discussed at length at the "gone to the dogs"
forum, and *not* in his own fanboy-only place. That's gotta sting.
Having to turn back on his vision of where the CM series was going
must sting even more. The feature list of the new CM:N game almost
openly says "you guys at GS were right, we were wrong" but he's not
going to admit that in a million years and he's madder than hell about
it.

Oh, well, at least it makes for an entertaining read :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 29, 2009, 5:13:58 AM12/29/09
On 29 dec, 08:43, "eddyster...@hotmail.com" <eddyster...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Oh, well, at least it makes for an entertaining read :)

So here's me thinking "what's up with that other company with the
stellar pr department" and sure enough :

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1239174&postcount=1

A guy complaining about the SES DRM locking him out of his paid for
game over the X-Mas period who is then called a troll by a brown-nosed
fanboy *and* a SES company employee.

It's always a good idea to visit the SES forum if you think some other
company couldn't possibly be topped in unprofessional behaviour.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg

Dec 29, 2009, 7:38:50 AM12/29/09
In article <12e69912-005b-4913-9e3a-a95e63915bb5
@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com says...

> > Oh, well, at least it makes for an entertaining read :)
>
> So here's me thinking "what's up with that other company with the
> stellar pr department" and sure enough :
>
> http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1239174&postcount=1
>
> A guy complaining about the SES DRM locking him out of his paid for
> game over the X-Mas period who is then called a troll by a brown-nosed
> fanboy *and* a SES company employee.
>
> It's always a good idea to visit the SES forum if you think some other
> company couldn't possibly be topped in unprofessional behaviour.

I like it, too, that the brown-noser mentions Microsoft, as though there
was a parallel between the problem resolution systems for both company's
activation schemes.

I reinstall MS products all the time, and (as you might imagine)
sometimes I'm not able to re-activate via the automatic process. It's
never taken me more than five minutes to get in touch with MS via phone
and get a new activation code. Problem solved. Didn't even have to beg
anyone or plead that I'm not a software pirate; just a friendly voice
taking down my product code and dealing me a new activation.

If you don't have the resources to do this right, don't fucking do it.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Briarroot

Dec 29, 2009, 10:02:46 AM12/29/09
eddys...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 29 dec, 08:43, "eddyster...@hotmail.com" <eddyster...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Oh, well, at least it makes for an entertaining read :)
>
> So here's me thinking "what's up with that other company with the
> stellar pr department" and sure enough :
>
> http://forums.gamesquad.com/showpost.php?p=1239174&postcount=1

LMAO!

> A guy complaining about the SES DRM locking him out of his paid for
> game over the X-Mas period who is then called a troll by a brown-nosed
> fanboy *and* a SES company employee.
>
> It's always a good idea to visit the SES forum if you think some other
> company couldn't possibly be topped in unprofessional behaviour.

They're not running a business, they're running a private club. General
public? Not welcome!

;-)

--
"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for
the public to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke

thewood

Dec 29, 2009, 11:42:44 AM12/29/09
On Dec 29, 10:02 am, Briarroot <briarr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Unfortunately, BFC is heading the same way if they don't smarten up.
And not by choice.

Holdit

Dec 30, 2009, 4:12:17 AM12/30/09
In article <64815bc2-7b70-4197-818c-
6bc834...@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, eddys...@hotmail.com
says...

> On 28 dec, 20:50, KG_Jag <wburb...@netscape.net> wrote:
> > As a "bonus" more Steve at his "best", starting at post #78 here:
> >
> > http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90197&page=8
>
> Against Geordie no less, who is probably the most evenhanded,
> knowledgeable and fair person I know regarding CM:SF

There's a follow-up here:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=89874

Holdit

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 30, 2009, 4:45:19 AM12/30/09
On 30 dec, 10:12, Holdit <holditREM...@THEindigoCAPS.ie> wrote:
> In article <64815bc2-7b70-4197-818c-
> 6bc8349ce...@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, eddyster...@hotmail.com

> says...
>

> > On 28 dec, 20:50, KG_Jag <wburb...@netscape.net> wrote:
> > > As a "bonus" more Steve at his "best", starting at post #78 here:
>
> > >http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90197&page=8
>
> > Against Geordie no less, who is probably the most evenhanded,
> > knowledgeable and fair person I know regarding CM:SF
>
> There's a follow-up here:
>
> http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=89874

I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but the current situation
is *hugely* beneficial to Battlefront.

Their own, artificially positive forum is sending out nothing but good
vibes to the believers, thereby being a near perfect pr and marketing
tool while an extremely motivated bunch over at GS - let’s call them
the gamma brigade - is identifying problems with the game and coming
up with good ideas and suggestions for improvement for free. Doesn’t
anyone else notice that the CM:N feature list looks pretty much like
the GS gripe list ? If I were them I’d start charging Steve et al for
forum access :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx