Birth of America by Ageod - a nice looking package

1 view

Adam Parker

Dec 12, 2006, 6:35:21 AM12/12/06
Well, some here have touted this game as the "wargame of 2006" and a
"blast to play" and being late to the party so many times this year, I
just downloaded it.

A seamless digital download at 278 megs straight from Ageod's site and
a blessed rulebook of only 44 pages including cover, I look at this
game with a smile for two reasons:

1. Not only have I absolutely no idea how to play straight off looking
at the map and not reading a word of rules but this game looks
beautiful, especially in its take-off of the look of the Avalon Hill
board game "We the People" - with its armies and commanders on 3d
stands. Mark Herman would be proud.

2. When buying Matrix's Forge of Freedom recently, I got all excited
about seeing a lovely Civil War era map - and though FoF's is indeed
nice to look at - what I in fact had in mind, was AGEOD's forthcoming
Civil War game! I thought FoF was it.

One thing Ageod could do is to make it even more blatantly clear that
BoA is available via digital download from its site. I really had to
hunt around for the download page and I actually did search a couple of
weeks ago and gave up thinking it was only available via disc. I even
went shopping locally for it. And then this evening, I had a pleasant
surprise. Basically I'd stick the download link at the top of the Ageod
home page in big, bold font and on its forum pages too. Why risk
missing out on a sale? For now go to http://www.ageod.com/ and scroll
to the bottom of the page for instructions. A very affordable price.

The game is now up to patch 1.10c and I'm not familiar with the patch
history but it seems it's had its share of issues - I can't compare it
with my experiences of FoF straight out of the wrapper. But I am
looking forward to reading its small set of rules shortly and getting
playing asap. I just love the innovation Ageod has taken with is
graphics.

One other thing, the game downloads as verson 1.02. This could reflect
that a patch 1.10d is forthcoming. But as with making it easier to buy,
having the latest version retail, is always a better idea than having a
customer hunt for a patch.

Happy gaming,
Adam.

Adam Parker

Dec 12, 2006, 6:47:21 AM12/12/06
That's quick! 1.10d just came out;

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1816

Seems to also retrofit the UI to the forthcoming ACW game standards.
Nice,

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 12, 2006, 6:57:47 AM12/12/06

Adam Parker schreef:

The link to the updated manual there is not working - this one is :

http://www.ageod.com/download_patches/BIRTH%20OF%20AMERICA_109.pdf

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Adam Parker

Dec 12, 2006, 7:00:08 AM12/12/06
Thanks that's another big thing with this game...

You can read the rules before you buy. Always a great marketing tool.

eddys...@hotmail.com

Dec 12, 2006, 7:08:12 AM12/12/06

Adam Parker schreef:

> Thanks that's another big thing with this game...
>
> You can read the rules before you buy. Always a great marketing tool.

I agree - if you're not using the manual as a copy protection device
(as done by Shrapnel) a developer should consider this. Could be
counter-productive though. Example : people looking for a less complex
game might think Cota is extremely complex given it's 500+ page manual
- while it truely is easy to get into.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg

Dec 12, 2006, 7:26:00 AM12/12/06
In article <1165923321....@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>,
joa...@bigpond.com says...

> Well, some here have touted this game as the "wargame of 2006" and a
> "blast to play" and being late to the party so many times this year, I
> just downloaded it.
>
> A seamless digital download at 278 megs straight from Ageod's site and
> a blessed rulebook of only 44 pages including cover, I look at this
> game with a smile for two reasons:
>
> 1. Not only have I absolutely no idea how to play straight off looking
> at the map and not reading a word of rules but this game looks
> beautiful, especially in its take-off of the look of the Avalon Hill
> board game "We the People" - with its armies and commanders on 3d
> stands. Mark Herman would be proud.

That's how I ended up learning to play it; trial-and-error style. It
was all just so cool I couldn't wait to start moving the pieces.
Disaster after disaster ensued, but it sure was fun.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Brett S.

Dec 12, 2006, 8:34:46 AM12/12/06
Whoa! I didn't realize this game covered the French & Indian War too.
Looks like AGEOD has another convert while I wait for their Civil War
game. It can't hurt to get used to their UI...

Brett

Giftzwerg

Dec 12, 2006, 8:39:46 AM12/12/06
In article <1165930486....@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com>,
br...@brettschulte.net says...

> Whoa! I didn't realize this game covered the French & Indian War too.
> Looks like AGEOD has another convert while I wait for their Civil War
> game. It can't hurt to get used to their UI...

If there are other people out there who haven't bought this excellent
game yet, they outta grab themselves an early Xmas^h^h^h^h secular
holiday-based derivative present. They won't regret it.

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 12, 2006, 9:31:25 AM12/12/06
> One thing Ageod could do is to make it even more blatantly clear that
> BoA is available via digital download from its site.

It is available on Steam too - even if I wonder who will look for a game of
this kind there.

Pocus

Dec 12, 2006, 9:47:37 AM12/12/06
Support our company and buy direct from us please :)

"Vincenzo Beretta" <rec...@hotmail.com> wrote

Pocus

Dec 12, 2006, 9:50:35 AM12/12/06

"Adam Parker" <joa...@bigpond.com> wrote in

> The game is now up to patch 1.10c and I'm not familiar with the patch
> history but it seems it's had its share of issues - I can't compare it
> with my experiences of FoF straight out of the wrapper. But I am
> looking forward to reading its small set of rules shortly and getting
> playing asap. I just love the innovation Ageod has taken with is
> graphics.

Hi Adam,

Not really, 1.00 was very stable and with a good AI. We fixed bugs in all
patch, true, but 80% of my time was devoted to adding content & improving
the AI in fact. You can always discuss with some early players if you want
some confirmation :) but I would be sad to know that people can think we
produced a buggy game at start.

korri...@hotmail.com

Dec 12, 2006, 9:55:56 AM12/12/06

Brett S. wrote:
> Looks like AGEOD has another convert while I wait for their Civil War
> game.

Brett:
Did you receive any of my two e-mails? I didn't get any answer from
you.
(Sorry Group for this piece of private correspondance :o) )

Adam:
Nice insight about the Digital download process. I'm going to see if I
can improve the visibility of your on-line shop in the forum.

Korrigan

Vincenzo Beretta

Dec 12, 2006, 10:15:15 AM12/12/06
>> It is available on Steam too - even if I wonder who will look for a game
>> of this kind there.

I already did.

I could tell you the vote I gave to the game in my review for GMC, but then
I would have to kill Alan :o)

Epi Watkins

Dec 12, 2006, 3:30:17 PM12/12/06
In article <457ec1ba$0$16735$426a...@news.free.fr>, sup...@ageod.com
says...

I can't remember if it had any bugs. Birth of America was playable
right away though. It didn't have anything like the siege bug in Forge
of Freedom.
--
Album of the moment:
Mingus Moves by Charles Mingus.

Epi

Adam Parker

Dec 12, 2006, 4:17:47 PM12/12/06
Epi Watkins wrote:

> I can't remember if it had any bugs. Birth of America was playable
> right away though. It didn't have anything like the siege bug in Forge
> of Freedom.

Thanks Epi and Pocus for setting me straight there. Very good to hear!

Mike Kreuzer

Dec 12, 2006, 4:25:43 PM12/12/06
Adam Parker wrote:
> Well, some here have touted this game as the "wargame of 2006" and a
> "blast to play" and being late to the party so many times this year,
> I just downloaded it.
>
> A seamless digital download at 278 megs straight from Ageod's site
> and a blessed rulebook of only 44 pages including cover, I look at
> this game with a smile for two reasons:
>
> 1. Not only have I absolutely no idea how to play straight off
> looking at the map and not reading a word of rules but this game
> looks beautiful, especially in its take-off of the look of the Avalon
> Hill board game "We the People" - with its armies and commanders on
> 3d stands. Mark Herman would be proud.
>
> 2. When buying Matrix's Forge of Freedom recently, I got all excited
> about seeing a lovely Civil War era map - and though FoF's is indeed
> nice to look at - what I in fact had in mind, was AGEOD's forthcoming
> Civil War game! I thought FoF was it.

[snip]

BoA and FoF are chalk & cheese. BoA is & has been a pleasure since the
get go. FoF has been quite the, err, "different experience".

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com

Contumeliorus Florius

Dec 12, 2006, 6:45:54 PM12/12/06
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:30:17 -0500, Epi Watkins wrote:

> I can't remember if it had any bugs. Birth of America was playable
> right away though. It didn't have anything like the siege bug in Forge
> of Freedom.

What kind of copy protection is the download version of BoA using? If it's
just a serial number then I'll get it but if it's using limited installs
and/or tied to the hardware then I won't.

BobW

Dec 12, 2006, 7:43:25 PM12/12/06

"Contumeliorus Florius" <n...@email.invalid> wrote in message

Not sure about the download version but I bought the CD version from NWS and
it takes a serial number. I just checked and I can run it without the CD in
the drive!!!! Thank you AGEOD!

Bob W.

Epi Watkins

Dec 12, 2006, 7:59:04 PM12/12/06
In article <ro4pyi30esz3$.hexr6slapi43$.d...@40tude.net>,
n...@email.invalid says...

Just a serial number. If the installs are limited, it didn't say
anything about that (at least not that I noticed), and I haven't run
into the limit either.

Adam Parker

Dec 12, 2006, 9:15:01 PM12/12/06
Contumeliorus Florius wrote:

> What kind of copy protection is the download version of BoA using? If it's
> just a serial number then I'll get it but if it's using limited installs
> and/or tied to the hardware then I won't.

Simple serial number. I've got it installed on my PC and laptop to
compare performance.

>From what I've read however, 2 players with the same serial are not
able to play each other.

Giftzwerg

Dec 13, 2006, 7:25:00 AM12/13/06
In article <ro4pyi30esz3$.hexr6slapi43$.d...@40tude.net>,
n...@email.invalid says...

> > I can't remember if it had any bugs. Birth of America was playable

> > right away though. It didn't have anything like the siege bug in Forge
> > of Freedom.
>
> What kind of copy protection is the download version of BoA using? If it's
> just a serial number then I'll get it but if it's using limited installs
> and/or tied to the hardware then I won't.

None of that bullshit. It's a straight serial number. Enjoy your game.

Rob Pollard

Dec 13, 2006, 12:57:25 PM12/13/06
Glad this group is here otherwise I would not have seen this gem. Downloaded
the demo and was hooked straight away. When I get time over the weekend I'm
a-buying this one!

--
RobP
'There are only 10 types of people in this world - Those that understand

"Epi Watkins" <epica...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

bimbo...@yahoo.com

Dec 13, 2006, 2:24:25 PM12/13/06
I am loving FOF myself. I havent gotten into BOA but have had it for
quite some time.

What I love about FOF is that there is so much variation throughout a
game even when playing the same campaign numerious times. And, as
the campaign goes on, there are always things to do...I love when
randomness is built in. And, if you enjoy tactical battles, which I
don't, that's another whole aspect you can get into.

But, I've been waiting since Hunters game for another Civil War game
and this one is making me happy right now.

Epi Watkins

Dec 13, 2006, 3:45:05 PM12/13/06
In article <1166037865.5...@16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com>,
bimbo...@yahoo.com says...

> I am loving FOF myself. I havent gotten into BOA but have had it for
> quite some time.
>
> What I love about FOF is that there is so much variation throughout a
> game even when playing the same campaign numerious times. And, as
> the campaign goes on, there are always things to do...I love when
> randomness is built in. And, if you enjoy tactical battles, which I
> don't, that's another whole aspect you can get into.
>
> But, I've been waiting since Hunters game for another Civil War game
> and this one is making me happy right now.

I have some see some big problems with Forge of Freedom. However, I'm
loving it too. It and Microsoft Flight Simulator are the only games I'm
playing right now.

I love Hunter's games. If he ever gets around to redoing his Civil War
game, they say eventually, I think it'll be the best.

I don't bother with the tactical part. I did once.

Contumeliorus Florius

Dec 13, 2006, 4:28:16 PM12/13/06
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:59:04 -0500, Epi Watkins wrote:

> Just a serial number. If the installs are limited, it didn't say
> anything about that (at least not that I noticed), and I haven't run
> into the limit either.

OK, thx. Off to purchase now.

Contumeliorus Florius

Dec 13, 2006, 4:34:53 PM12/13/06
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:25:00 -0500, Giftzwerg wrote:

> None of that bullshit. It's a straight serial number. Enjoy your game.

I will, thx. I purchased a download game called rFactor and it's tied to
your hardware AND has a 5 install limitation. I've already reinstalled it
three times and I've only had it about three months. Everytime I resintall
it it says I have used up one of my "FREE" activations. After five installs
I have to email the company and beg for another activation. Live and learn.
I won't be buying any downloadable games that use crap like that again.
Last week I bought the download version of First Eagles (WWI flight sim)
and it doesn't even require a serial number. That's how to win cuntomers.

Contumeliorus Florius

Dec 13, 2006, 4:38:01 PM12/13/06
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:45:05 -0500, Epi Watkins wrote:

> I have some see some big problems with Forge of Freedom. However, I'm
> loving it too. It and Microsoft Flight Simulator are the only games I'm
> playing right now.
>
> I love Hunter's games. If he ever gets around to redoing his Civil War
> game, they say eventually, I think it'll be the best.
>
> I don't bother with the tactical part. I did once.

FSX or FS9? I play FS9 but I am weary of getting FSX after reading about
how poorly it performs on even the best hardware available.

Epi Watkins

Dec 13, 2006, 5:59:15 PM12/13/06
> FSX or FS9? I play FS9 but I am weary of getting FSX after reading about
> how poorly it performs on even the best hardware available.

FS9. I'm getting X Deluxe for christmas. I'm not to worried about the
performance because, I just got a new computer (I'm doing the dual core
thing now), and you can always adjust things that affect the frame rate.