Theatre of War - another demo impressions

Maciek

Apr 20, 2007, 5:16:29 AM4/20/07
1) Great great great graphics. Beautifully made tanks. Really nice piece of
work.
2) Maxed settings + AAx4 = 30 FPS in tutorial, 10 FPS zooming on 3 tanks in
first battle.
8800 GTS 320MB + E6300
I will have to reduce the settings :((
Engine could use some optimization - it really should run smoother on
this hadware.
3) Terrible sound - sound of MG34 of the tutorial mission - the first big
disappointment. Sounds
like a child's toy. Not even close to Combat Mission quiality of sound. I
have crappy sound card
though - please write how it sounds on Audigy/X-Fi
Tans shooting is also not that impressive - Combat Mission camera shake
is missing here.
Maybe I just need to turn on valume of effects vs speech?

4) I find it very difficult to control my forces. I am combat mission
veteram, Total War veteran -
yet I find it very annoing to play Theatre of War. I hope it's just
matter of getting used to - but still I am so disappointed that this game
is so unintuitive.

5) IS-2 being fired on by 2 panthers and a JagdPanther - 800m distance. Come
on - in Combat Mission
ot would be slaughtered in 10-20 seconds. Here my tanks can't seem to
knock it out. After a
minute IS-2 has no tracks but still returns fire. Somethings wrong here.

To sup up. I need to spend more time learning this game to give a final
verdict. But right now I am disappointed.
Excellent graphics, poor sound, terrible gameplay (so far).

Maciek

Bloodstar

Apr 20, 2007, 5:43:58 AM4/20/07
> To sup up. I need to spend more time learning this game to give a final
> verdict. But right now I am disappointed.
> Excellent graphics, poor sound, terrible gameplay (so far).

We need more negative reviews here.

BTW, full German campaign has 15 missions and that is fact strong point of
this game. We have a review of a demo. Buy the full game and then do a
review.
Review of a demo??? Blah. That is really something.

Mario

Maciek

Apr 20, 2007, 6:04:25 AM4/20/07
> We need more negative reviews here.
>
> BTW, full German campaign has 15 missions and that is fact strong point of
> this game. We have a review of a demo. Buy the full game and then do a
> review.
> Review of a demo??? Blah. That is really something.

I don't get you. I wrote my impressions of the demo - I don't expect full
game to be much different in terms of gameplay. I think my impressions are
much more interesting than your download problems.
To anyone but you of course.

I still hope that after I invest some time in learning the game - It will
turn out as awesome in gameplay as it is in graphics.
Too bad it's not as "immediate fun" as for example Total War.

Maciek

Maciek

Apr 20, 2007, 6:05:55 AM4/20/07
> Too bad it's not as "immediate fun" as for example Total War.

On the other hand Combat Mission took me some heavy using-to - I consider it
the best war game ever created.

Maciek

Bloodstar

Apr 20, 2007, 6:17:55 AM4/20/07
> I don't get you. I wrote my impressions of the demo - I don't expect full
> game to be much different in terms of gameplay. I think my impressions are
> much more interesting than your download problems.
> To anyone but you of course.

Haha yes... certanly your impressions are better than my downloading
problems. But I am sure that you didn't even wanted to buy full game so
after playing a demo let's slam the game. And impressions of playing full
game is different than playing a demo. Do you get experience on troops while
playing demo? Do you advance in campaign? Etc... Can you make a missions?
You need to invest some time in each game.

> I still hope that after I invest some time in learning the game - It will
> turn out as awesome in gameplay as it is in graphics.
> Too bad it's not as "immediate fun" as for example Total War.

I am also fan of Total War. Don't get me wrong shit on this game as much as
you want or others. But I see too much negativity around this game and many
people like it on BF forum. Oh this is Usenet I forgot...

Well, people will get my review once I get the game. Download is slow...

Mario

Giftzwerg

Apr 20, 2007, 6:29:29 AM4/20/07
In article <f0a224$cm5$1...@sunce.iskon.hr>,
george.w...@microsoft.com says...

> > To sup up. I need to spend more time learning this game to give a final
> > verdict. But right now I am disappointed.
> > Excellent graphics, poor sound, terrible gameplay (so far).
>
> We need more negative reviews here.

Don't say that too loud.

> BTW, full German campaign has 15 missions and that is fact strong point of
> this game. We have a review of a demo. Buy the full game and then do a
> review.
> Review of a demo??? Blah. That is really something.

In fairness, though, the guys here are just giving their impression of
exactly those things the demo is meant to demonstrate; the game engine
and gameplay.

And I get the feeling if their "reviews" were positive, you'd find their
comments less logically invalid? No?

--
Giftzwerg
***

Maciek

Apr 20, 2007, 6:40:03 AM4/20/07
> But I am sure that you didn't even wanted to buy full game so
> after playing a demo let's slam the game.

You are wrong, I was (still may!) going to buy the game - I am fan of
realistic WW2 simulations, and Combat Mission is my favorite. I see some
resemblance here with detailed simuation of armor penetrations and
ballistics. I hate to see it spoiled by gameplay/contol issues.
One more time - I hope that I will learn to enjoy this game. After all I
sent only an hour or two.

> game is different than playing a demo. Do you get experience on troops
> while
> playing demo? Do you advance in campaign? Etc... Can you make a missions?
> You need to invest some time in each game.

Gameplay of the battle is clearly the most important - and can be assessed
by playing the demo. That's the purpose of the demo.

> I am also fan of Total War. Don't get me wrong shit on this game as much
> as
> you want or others. But I see too much negativity around this game and
> many
> people like it on BF forum. Oh this is Usenet I forgot...

I don't shit on the game, I am as fair as possible - told you the graphics
are amazing :)
I also hate when people rant on someting much. I guess that we heard for so
long that the game is goind to be soo awesome yet easy to play that our
expectations can't be satisfied now.

> Well, people will get my review once I get the game. Download is slow...

Looking forward to it :)
Check the sounds for me :)

Maciek

Bloodstar

Apr 20, 2007, 6:38:28 AM4/20/07
>> We need more negative reviews here.
>
> Don't say that too loud.

I guess that this would be then :)

>> BTW, full German campaign has 15 missions and that is fact strong point
>> of
>> this game. We have a review of a demo. Buy the full game and then do a
>> review.
>> Review of a demo??? Blah. That is really something.
>
> In fairness, though, the guys here are just giving their impression of
> exactly those things the demo is meant to demonstrate; the game engine
> and gameplay.
>
> And I get the feeling if their "reviews" were positive, you'd find their
> comments less logically invalid? No?

No, I have no problem with someone saying negative stuff about something.
But, I am still waiting for paying customers who you know made that effort
to take their credit cards and dish some money on it - I am still wainting
their reviews here.
Well, I will see it hopefully by myself is this so bad or it is just a very
opinioned slam dunk opinion of some people who expected Combat Mission in
Real Time.

And on Battlefront.com there are many happy players here. But well some guys
on Usenet thinks that only Usenet is merit of all things. I disagree here.

Mario

Øystein Tvedten

Apr 20, 2007, 6:45:30 AM4/20/07

In the options, did you select "Use only one CPU"? If you have a dual-core
system you need to select this or it runs like a hog.

Øystein
--
Roy Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships
on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the

Maciek

Apr 20, 2007, 6:49:47 AM4/20/07
> In the options, did you select "Use only one CPU"? If you have a dual-core
> system you need to select this or it runs like a hog.

I did use check this - so it runned only on one core.

Bloodstar

Apr 20, 2007, 9:02:41 AM4/20/07
> You are wrong, I was (still may!) going to buy the game - I am fan of
> realistic WW2 simulations, and Combat Mission is my favorite. I see some
> resemblance here with detailed simuation of armor penetrations and
> ballistics. I hate to see it spoiled by gameplay/contol issues.
> One more time - I hope that I will learn to enjoy this game. After all I
> sent only an hour or two.

No problem but to say that gameplay is terrible is wrong.
So there are not just this gradation terrible > awesome or terrible > great.

>> game is different than playing a demo. Do you get experience on troops
>> while
>> playing demo? Do you advance in campaign? Etc... Can you make a missions?
>> You need to invest some time in each game.
>
> Gameplay of the battle is clearly the most important - and can be assessed
> by playing the demo. That's the purpose of the demo.

Yes, but for overall picture final product is there to be used as reference.
And again on Usenet is already very negative picture about this game. I
really don't get those guys that in fact enjoy this game on BF forum. Do
they speak truth or are biased?

> I don't shit on the game, I am as fair as possible - told you the graphics
> are amazing :)
> I also hate when people rant on someting much. I guess that we heard for
> so long that the game is goind to be soo awesome yet easy to play that our

> expectations can't be satisfied now...

>> Well, people will get my review once I get the game. Download is slow...
>
> Looking forward to it :)
> Check the sounds for me :)

Only one hour or so to download. Then we will se :)

Maciek

Apr 20, 2007, 9:35:35 AM4/20/07
> Only one hour or so to download. Then we will se :)

You may be right about my unfortunate selection of words.
Good luck to you, and to me - my second approach to demo with antialiasing
turned off - this evening :)

Maciek

eddys...@hotmail.com

Apr 20, 2007, 10:08:41 AM4/20/07
On 20 apr, 12:04, "Maciek" <imorth...@wp.pl> wrote:
> > We need more negative reviews here.
>
> > BTW, full German campaign has 15 missions and that is fact strong point of
> > this game. We have a review of a demo. Buy the full game and then do a
> > review.
> > Review of a demo??? Blah. That is really something.
>
> I don't get you.

Welcome on joining the club, new member #3546 :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Bloodstar

Apr 20, 2007, 10:43:53 AM4/20/07
> You may be right about my unfortunate selection of words.
> Good luck to you, and to me - my second approach to demo with antialiasing
> turned off - this evening :)

Just downloaded the game. My initial impression - very, very good!!!

GAWK!

Mario

Epi Watkins

Apr 20, 2007, 11:46:04 AM4/20/07
In article <f0ajhv$bu4$1...@sunce.iskon.hr>,
george.w...@microsoft.com says...

That's your first impression? This seriously surprises me.
--
Just like a thousand words. Somehow...I suppose:
http://catherinebuca.com/index.php?showimage=55

eddys...@hotmail.com

Apr 20, 2007, 11:49:23 AM4/20/07
On 20 apr, 17:46, Epi Watkins <epicat1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <f0ajhv$bu...@sunce.iskon.hr>,
> george.washing...@microsoft.com says...

> > > You may be right about my unfortunate selection of words.
> > > Good luck to you, and to me - my second approach to demo with antialiasing
> > > turned off - this evening :)
>
> > Just downloaded the game. My initial impression - very, very good!!!
>
> > GAWK!
>
> > Mario
>
> That's your first impression? This seriously surprises me.

He choked because he suddenly realized he bought a 10-year old design
for the full price :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Bloodstar

Apr 20, 2007, 1:32:13 PM4/20/07
> That's your first impression? This seriously surprises me.

Well, I am not dissapointed with the game. It is really fun. :)

Mario

Bloodstar

Apr 20, 2007, 1:33:09 PM4/20/07
> He choked because he suddenly realized he bought a 10-year old design
> for the full price :)

I would actually send them 50$ on top for this marvelous diamond.
:)

Mario

Frank E

Apr 24, 2007, 7:53:54 AM4/24/07

Now there's a shocking and unexpected development!