C&C Official FAQ 1/4

Arthur Zards

Oct 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/13/95

I called Westwood about the story line when I purchased the game and they were
kind enough to send this if you javn't seen it yet.

Westwood Studios Official
Command & Conquer Frequently Asked Questions List
Last Update: October 6th, 1995

Version 2.1

About this document....

I have made a vain attempt to answer every question anyone could ever
ask regarding our newest real-time strategy game, COMMAND & CONQUER:
TIBERIAN DAWN. If you see something that needs to be added, please email
me here at Westwood with your question and I'll consider its inclusion
into the next FAQ sheet.

All information contained herein is copyright 1995 by Westwood Studios. You
are allowed to distribute it freely, but not to make changes.

(virtu...@westwood.com)

--- PART 1 : GENERAL INFORMATION -------------------------------------------

1.1 What is Command & Conquer?
1.2 System Requirements.
1.3 Is this Dune III?
1.4 When is the game going to be released in North America? Elsewhere?
1.5 Are there screenshots or maybe a Demo available to download?
1.6 Can I play Command & Conquer against a friend?
1.7 Will Command & Conquer support MY sound card?

--- PART 2 : GENERAL QUESTIONS ABOUT GAME PLAY -----------------------------

2.1 How many units are in the game?
2.2 Are the air units similar to the ones in DUNE II? Can I control them?
2.3 How many missions are there in Command & Conquer?
2.4 Am I limited in how many units I can create?
2.5 Can I create teams of units? Is it easy to do?
2.6 Do I need to buy two copies for multiplayer games?
2.7 How is the computer A.I. in comparison to other real-time games?
2.8 Is it possible to team up with or against friends on a network?

--- PART 3 : PLAYING THE GAME ----------------------------------------------

3.1 Special keyboard shortcuts - not in the manual.
3.2 Miscellaneous Hints/Tactics.
3.3 Any cheat codes?
3.4 Charts for obtaining units.
3.5 Charts for obtaining structures.
3.6 Description of Multi-player crates.

--- PART 4 : PLAYING THE GAME WITH KALI ------------------------------------

4.1 What is KALI?
4.2 How do I get the KALI software?
4.3 How to set up KALI to run COMMAND & CONQUER.

--- PART 5 : MODEM/NETWORK HELP --------------------------------------------

5.1 Sample Modem INIT strings you can use.
5.2 How to increase modem performance.
5.3 Network notes to remember.

--- PART 6 : TROUBLESHOOTING -----------------------------------------------

6.1 What to do when the game doesn't want to work.
6.2 How to get Command & Conquer installed under Windows 95.
6.3 How to get Command & Conquer running with Windows 95 and 8 megabytes.
6.4 Improving video playback performance under Windows 95.
6.5 How to fix modem problems under Windows 95.
6.6 Mouse is not identified, or does not behave correctly.
6.7 Command & Conquer Patch file (1.08a).

--- PART 7 : GETTING HELP --------------------------------------------------

7.1 How to Order Command & Conquer.
7.2 Contacting Westwood Studios directly.
7.3 Our internet www and ftp sites.

--- PART 8 : IN THE FUTURE -------------------------------------------------

8.1 When is Command & Conquer II going to be released?
8.2 Where can I get extra missions for Command & Conquer?

GENERAL INFORMATION ********************************************************

1.1 WHAT IS COMMAND & CONQUER?

Command & Conquer is a real-time strategy-combat game developed by
Westwood Studios, the creators of DUNE II.

The Press Release :

WESTWOOD STUDIOS INTRODUCES : COMMAND & CONQUER

Imagine a brutal, devastating conflict of global proportions.
Now imagine it all fitting on two CDs.

Introducing COMMAND & CONQUER, from the creators of DUNE II.
A frighteningly realistic glimpse into the near future, when the
planet is divided between two forces battling for world domination.

Players can fight for a peacekeeping alliance called the
Global Defense Initiative. Or their mortal enemy, a terrorist
organization called the Brotherhood of Nod. Either way, they'll
have their strategies tested in a real-time world, complete with
over 60 minutes of intense full-motion video and 3-D rendered
graphics that are as visceral as they are visual. Which of
course, is unfortunate for those with weaker stomachs.

COMMAND & CONQUER's real-time combat system is designed to be
deep and meaningful, yet accessible. Those familiar with
Westwood's earlier award winning strategy game DUNE II will
remember the ease of use in a fast-paced race of destruction and
mayhem. However, we've made a few modifications you might want
to look into...

Build and better your bases, unite or divide your forces, develop
and utilize guerrilla tactics and a wealth of potent electronic
hardware, and make sure that "Reduce the Opposition to pulp" is at
the top of you list of things to do today.

As one person put it...

"The attention to detail is exemplary - it's like having a
fully-functioning miniature world-gone-mad crawling with
armies of intelligent beings, all secured in a big glass box,
and all at your disposal."

1.2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Command & Conquer (2 CD-ROMs) requires at least the following system
configuration :

CPU: 486/66 or higher.
RAM: 8MB total, 6MB free XMS or EMS, 560KB conventional RAM.
HD space: 30MB.
CD: 2xCD-ROM drive.
SOUND: Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro, Sound Blaster 16,
Sound Blaster AWE32 and 100% Sound Blaster compatibles,
Gravis UltraSound, Gravis UltraSound MAX, Ensonic
Soundscape, Roland RAP-10, ESS Audiodrive, Microsoft
Sound System, Gold Sound Standard, Pro Audio Spectrum.
DISPLAY: MCGA graphics (256 color, 320x200 pixel resolution).
MOUSE: Microsoft Mouse or 100% compatible.
DOS: 5.0 or higher.
WINDOWS: 3.1 or higher.

For multi-player:

SERIAL: 2 players over minimum 9,600 bps modem, 14,400 bps
modem or higher recommended. 2 players over null
modem connection.
NETWORK: 2-4 players over IPX compliant network.

Command & Conquer will stream and mix all music directly from the CD
with sound effects in the game. Any Soundblaster compatible card
capable of playing digital audio will be supported. Audio quality
for both 8 bit and 16 bit cards is nothing less than superb.

1.3 Is this DUNE III?

Command & Conquer is not DUNE III. The only item borrowed from our
earlier real-time strategy game is the cool interface, and even that
has been updated. The game engine has been totally rewritten to
support more units and an enhanced artificial intelligence.

1.4 When will Command & Conquer be released?

Command & Conquer is available world wide NOW. Check with
A local software store for a release date if you don't see it, since
there have been many reports of stores running out of stock.

We appreciate everyone's patience while we finished work on C&C.
Thanks again for your support.

1.5 Is there a demo or screenshots available?

You can download .AVI movies, screenshots, and music clips from either
our ftp site at ftp.westwood.com or our web site at www.westwood.com.

1.6 Can I play Command & Conquer against a friend?

Yes. C&C will support Network, Null Modem and Modem play. Network
mode allows four players to go head-to-head. A computer opponent can
also be added to increase any game by one more player.

Each player must have one of the Command & Conquer CD-ROM's in their
system before play can begin.

1.7 How about my GUS/ProAudio Spectrum/Whizbang 3000 sound card? Support?

We will not support any card in direct or "native" mode. Our new
sound drivers enable us to play and mix music and voices directly
from the CD-ROM. Instead of hearing a computer generated version
of a guitar or drums, you'll be hearing the real thing right off
the CD. Command & Conquer is one of the first Westwood products
to support DDA (Direct Digital Audio).

If your card is capable of playing digital sounds (and most
cards are), you should have no problem with sound support.