Harpoon: F-14's would not use their cannons.

Kintak Yue

Jan 19, 1994, 6:40:47 PM1/19/94

I have not been able to shooting down any airplanes with cannons.
The manual said you can only shoot down airplanes that are on the
same altitude. In GIUK, I send a few F-14's to intercept the Backfires.
After firing all the missiles, the F-14's would approach the Backfires.
At this time, I would make sure the F-14's are on the same altitude
as the Backfires. It seems that the F-14's would only follow the
remaining Backfires. They would not shoot the Backfires using their
cannons. Am I doing something wrong? I am using 1.32a, the ones that
comes with HDS II.

Thanks in advance,

KY

Gregory Deych

Jan 20, 1994, 3:52:51 AM1/20/94
Kintak Yue (ky...@sal-sun37.usc.edu) wrote:

: Hi,

: Thanks in advance,

: KY

O.K, this is just a guess, since I haven't played Harpoon for ages, take
it with a grain of salt.
The Backfire is a high-speed bomber, sort of Soviet knock off of B-1.
I seem to remember it's top speed being in excess of Mach 2.2. It's
possible F-14 just can't get close enough to engage them with guns.
Again, this is just a guess.

Fast, Good, Cheap. Pick any
two. --Solomon Short

gde...@netcom.com

Lars Martin Hansen

Jan 24, 1994, 7:40:30 AM1/24/94
In article <gdeychCJ...@netcom.com>, gde...@netcom.com (Gregory Deych) writes:
|> Kintak Yue (ky...@sal-sun37.usc.edu) wrote:
|>

|> : Hi,
|>
|> : I have not been able to shooting down any airplanes with cannons.
|> : The manual said you can only shoot down airplanes that are on the
|> : same altitude. In GIUK, I send a few F-14's to intercept the Backfires.
|> : After firing all the missiles, the F-14's would approach the Backfires.
|> : At this time, I would make sure the F-14's are on the same altitude
|> : as the Backfires. It seems that the F-14's would only follow the
|> : remaining Backfires. They would not shoot the Backfires using their
|> : cannons. Am I doing something wrong? I am using 1.32a, the ones that
|> : comes with HDS II.
|>
|> : Thanks in advance,
|>
|> : KY

The harpoon database might tell you that the aircraft have a gun, and
so-and-so many rounds of ammunition for it, BUT, in the game, each aircraft
only have ammo for 5 shots (this is from the Harpoon Battlebook). Also, the Pk
(probability of kill) for the cannon is rather low. So, your F-14's are trying
to kill the Backfires, but they miss, or is out of ammunition. Send out more
F-14's to finish them of.

| Lars M. Hansen | To be is to program. |
| AID, Grimstad, Norway. | To program is to be. |
| Computer Engineering Dept. | I program, therefore I am |
| ha...@aid.no | |

gil...@decvaxrobins.af.mil

Jan 24, 1994, 4:53:05 PM1/24/94

RE: F14's using cannon

Your F14's must be within 3 nm of the target a/c. They will only engage 4
times (?) before running out of ammo.

Charlie