Goldbox type Gaming engine being made!!! Download beta!

Ziroc

Sep 7, 2000, 4:57:52 PM9/7/00
Check it out here, www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/dungeoncraft/ we're working on
all the art, and Richard is plugging away on the programming and a few
others are too!

--------------------------------->
Dungeon Craft is a gaming engine -- A RPG game maker (Much like Unlimited
Adventures and the Goldbox Games), but DC has full windows support, is High
res, 24-bit color, and extremely high detailed artwork! Plus, their are new
added options that we're missing from the goldbox game that needed to be
added.

The Project was started by Richard Turner, and Art by Dan Huling and others.
You can download the BETA of Dungeon Craft and see just how much detail, and
work has gone into the creation of this program! I've been doing all the
artwork for the game so far, and will be creating even more as the program
advances in production.

Features Include:

Dungeon Craft is an adventure creator that is based on the AD&D gaming
system. It mimics the features and functionality of SSI's Forgotten Realms
Unlimited Adventures. While FRUA is DOS based, DC is Win32 based and
currently runs under Windows 95/98/NT using DirectX 3.

We've attempted to recreate the functionality of the original FRUA/Gold Box
as closely as possible,
However, some improvements have been made. Most notably:

- Supports 8/16/24/32 bit color
- Supports BMP, PCX, TGA, WAV, and MIDI file types
- 640x480 screen size for now, but hope to allow larger sizes
- Editable items, spells and monsters
- Increased capacity for maps, events, quests, special items, and text
- Each design is self-contained, the editor is not required to play the game
- All art can be customized, even the fonts and frames
- Area view can be configured to auto map, display the whole map, or no map.
- Text events can use scripted conversations, Ultima style
- Map walls/blockages can be altered at runtime by text events
- old designs can be imported from FRUA
<------------------------------------

The Ironworks CRPG Gaming Magazine
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/

Ykalon Dragon

Sep 8, 2000, 10:15:31 AM9/8/00
Ziroc wrote:

> Dungeon Craft is an adventure creator that is based on the AD&D gaming
> system. It mimics the features and functionality of SSI's Forgotten Realms
> Unlimited Adventures. While FRUA is DOS based, DC is Win32 based and
> currently runs under Windows 95/98/NT using DirectX 3.

Don't you need some sort of permission from WotC to use the AD&D rules?

Mark R.

Sep 8, 2000, 4:47:32 PM9/8/00

Maybe not. I know if they leave some FRUA code in their construction
set they should be covered by SSI giving us permission to hack FRUA all
we wanted. Besides, if they don't charge for it they should be fine.

I am curious if we will see some of the people who made FRUA so great
pop back up to make stuff for this game.

I should prolly go blow the dust off that Undermountain module I was
working on for FRUA :)

Later
--

Mark R.

SPAM IS BAD, remove it from my E-Mail to reply!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you
are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Jeremy Reaban

Sep 8, 2000, 5:24:12 PM9/8/00

Ykalon Dragon wrote in message <39B8F483...@softhome.net>...
<snip>

>Don't you need some sort of permission from WotC to use the AD&D
rules?

Wotc's usage rules are pretty liberal these days. I think it's
basically do anything you want, so long as it's in reasonably good
taste and you don't charge money for it.

These days, they might be even more liberal, with their open gaming
license thingie.

Anyway, this is very very cool.

Not Sasquatch

Sep 8, 2000, 8:44:03 PM9/8/00
On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:15:31 +0200, this matter stream from Ykalon
Dragon <yka...@softhome.net> appeared:

I believe there was some discussion recently about WotC releasing a
sort of "Public Domain" version of their D&D rules. Perhaps if the
engine used those, although I honestly doubt WotC really cares.

hkc...@hkchan.pc.my

Sep 8, 2000, 11:44:25 PM9/8/00
"Jeremy Reaban" <j...@Xconnectria.com> wrote:

Didn't Wotc force the free Magic: The Gathering game to be shutdown?

Jeremy Reaban

Sep 9, 2000, 2:29:11 AM9/9/00

hkc...@hkchan.pc.my wrote in message
<39b9b1d3...@nntp.jaring.my>...
<snip>

>Didn't Wotc force the free Magic: The Gathering game to be shutdown?

Beats me. But even if true, a collectible card game is vastly
different than an RPG. For one, WOTC has the patent on CCGs (which is
hard to believe, but apparently true). And the whole point of a CCG is
to sell new cards to suckers (er, players), while an RPG mostly sells
rule books. A computer game would probably increase sales of those.

Anyway, they have separate legal guidelines. The ones for TSR stuff
are at

http://www.wizards.com/contactinfo/TSR_Online_Policy.asp

"Go ahead and create your own MUD, MUSH, or even video game, but (i)
don't use any of our illustrations and (ii) don't try to make any
money from it. "

The artwork bit was waived for FRUA. I dunno what they'd think of an
update to it...

Frongoid

Sep 9, 2000, 5:43:34 AM9/9/00
How compatible is this part so far? Could I, say, load in a module
from Ray's Realm series and play it, or would the extensive hacking
make it unusable?

Anyway, I'm just loving the idea of playing it windows-native... my
ATI card doesn't do gamma values in DOS boxes very well, and
Game26/ToEE is *very* dark.

"Ziroc" <zi...@tgeweb.com> wrote in message
snip

Flymo

Sep 9, 2000, 11:30:47 AM9/9/00
As a newbie to RPGs (BG, ToSC & DSotSC my first ventures into this genre,
but well and truly hooked now), what are we talking about here?

Flymo
Frongoid <fron...@shlocking.com> wrote in message

Snuggles the Psycho Shepherd

Sep 9, 2000, 8:23:01 PM9/9/00

Ok ok so I been a little out of it. So I collected all of the gold
boxes I could. So I have almost all the FR stuff you can get. So I'm a
loser that's 30 years old hasn't seen my penis in 15 years and neither
has anyone else. So WHAT!1 what is this FRUA thingy?? I aint' ever
heard of it. Please enlighten me.

--
-Snuggles the Psycho Shepherd
**Shepherd, Philosopher, Handyman, Strange One, & Warrior of Oz**

Adam West

Sep 9, 2000, 8:46:33 PM9/9/00
In article <39BAD465...@thepasture.com>, Snuggles the Psycho Shepherd <she...@thepasture.com> wrote:

>Ok ok so I been a little out of it. So I collected all of the gold
>boxes I could. So I have almost all the FR stuff you can get. So I'm a
>loser that's 30 years old hasn't seen my penis in 15 years and neither
>has anyone else. So WHAT!1 what is this FRUA thingy?? I aint' ever
>heard of it. Please enlighten me.

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures. Actually, if you look at the box
cover, it just says "Unlimited Adventures." It came out in 1993 after the Gold
Box games had run their course. It allows you makes your own adventures in the
Gold Box engine. It came with a scenario called "The Heirs to Skull Crag."
Afterward, it became (and remains) a cult classic with a fairly large
following. Many of the original pen-and-paper AD&D modules have been
translated to this engine (256-color VGA graphics and all).

Adam

Check out the BEST FREE CRPG Game/Maker: RuneSword
http://www.runesword.com To E-Mail, remove spamproof

Chad Dylan Long

Sep 9, 2000, 9:06:39 PM9/9/00

"Adam West" <ad...@spamproof.runesword.com> wrote in message

> In article <39BAD465...@thepasture.com>, Snuggles the Psycho
Shepherd <she...@thepasture.com> wrote:

> >Ok ok so I been a little out of it. So I collected all of the gold
> >boxes I could. So I have almost all the FR stuff you can get. So I'm a
> >loser that's 30 years old hasn't seen my penis in 15 years and neither
> >has anyone else. So WHAT!1 what is this FRUA thingy?? I aint' ever
> >heard of it. Please enlighten me.
>
> Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures. Actually, if you look at the box
> cover, it just says "Unlimited Adventures." It came out in 1993 after the
Gold
> Box games had run their course. It allows you makes your own adventures in
the
> Gold Box engine. It came with a scenario called "The Heirs to Skull Crag."
> Afterward, it became (and remains) a cult classic with a fairly large
> following. Many of the original pen-and-paper AD&D modules have been
> translated to this engine (256-color VGA graphics and all).

Are the modules freely distributable and is there a good fansite to visit?
Chad

Adam West

Sep 10, 2000, 12:03:47 AM9/10/00

Sure. Try http://members.aol.com/autery/ and be amazed. There are many, many
sites with FRUA material. Probably the best site for modules is:
http://www.readynet.net/frua/ModuleList.htm.

Mikko P Vuorinen

Sep 10, 2000, 6:04:06 AM9/10/00

>>Are the modules freely distributable and is there a good fansite to visit?
>>Chad

>Sure. Try http://members.aol.com/autery/ and be amazed. There are many, many
>sites with FRUA material. Probably the best site for modules is:
>http://www.readynet.net/frua/ModuleList.htm.

However, you need FRUA itself to be able to play the games.

--
)))) (((( + Mikko Vuorinen + mvuo...@cc.helsinki.fi
)) OO `oo'((( + Dilbon@IRC&ifMUD + http://www.helsinki.fi/~mvuorine/

mik...@onemain.com

Sep 10, 2000, 6:43:07 AM9/10/00
that begs the questions... is still FRUA available? and how do I get
it?

mike

tristan

Sep 10, 2000, 8:14:57 AM9/10/00
I saw it on ebay for $12. Besides there, they tend to package it in some of
the old adventure packs with 5-10 games, or with empty CD cases as an
incentive.

--
Tristan
Don't feed the trolls & read the FAQ!

Magius

Sep 10, 2000, 10:06:57 AM9/10/00
You can try some of the abandonware sites. They might have it. I know that
I was able to download the rule book for Death Knight s of Krynn after I
couldn't find mine.

I suggest trying www.theunderdogs.com

Lynley

Knight37

Sep 11, 2000, 9:07:39 AM9/11/00
Quoting an...@genesiscomputers.fsnet.co.uk (Flymo) from Sat, 09 Sep 2000
15:30:47 GMT:

>As a newbie to RPGs (BG, ToSC & DSotSC my first ventures into this genre,
>but well and truly hooked now), what are we talking about here?

Way back in the late 80's early 90's there was a series of computer RPG's
based on the AD&D rules, today known as the "AD&D Gold Box" games (since
they came in, you know, a gold colored box). After about 10 games like that
or so, 6 set in Forgotten Realms I believe, and 4 in Dragonlance, SSI came
out with the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. This was a construction
set type program that let gamers build their own "Gold Box Style"
adventures. Well, apparently there were a LOT of fans of this editor (and
if you do a web search for FRUA, you'll see a lot of fans STILL use and
support this editor), and so now apparently there's a group of folks who
are making a "FRUA-clone" called Dungeon Craft. Here's hoping it's as great
as FRUA was or better!

If you're interested in finding out first hand what we're talking about,
either buy FRUA (you can get it used on Ebay or from one of the FRUA web
sites), or get the Forgotten Realms Archives Silver Edition from Interplay
(www.interplay.com) for a good sample of the original Gold Box games. While
the graphics for these games are not as high-tech as, say Baldur's Gate,
and the gameplay is turn-based instead of real-time, these games are still
in the great AD&D Forgotten Realms setting, and offer great tactical combat
and a pretty good story.

--

Knight37

"You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use the key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination"
-- Rush "The Twilight Zone"

Donovan Hawkins

Sep 11, 2000, 4:01:29 PM9/11/00
In article <39BAD465...@thepasture.com>,
Snuggles the Psycho Shepherd <she...@thepasture.com> wrote:

>Ok ok so I been a little out of it. So I collected all of the gold
>boxes I could. So I have almost all the FR stuff you can get. So I'm a
>loser that's 30 years old hasn't seen my penis in 15 years and neither
>has anyone else. So WHAT!1 what is this FRUA thingy?? I aint' ever
>heard of it. Please enlighten me.

Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. It was a program that allowed you
to create your own Gold-Box adventures for other FRUA users. Some people
just called it "Unlimited Adventures" or UA.
--
Donovan Hawkins "The study of physics will always be
Department of Physics and Astronomy safer than biology, for while the

Gimble

Sep 12, 2000, 3:34:52 PM9/12/00
"Jeremy Reaban" <j...@Xconnectria.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> Anyway, they have separate legal guidelines. The ones for TSR stuff
> are at
>
> http://www.wizards.com/contactinfo/TSR_Online_Policy.asp
>
> "Go ahead and create your own MUD, MUSH, or even video game, but (i)
> don't use any of our illustrations and (ii) don't try to make any
> money from it. "

<snip>
Thanks for the link and snippet. It answered some questions I had about
wrinting some software tools myself... it sounds like I may have some
hobbying to do now.