Fallout 3 - lost megaton residents workaround

Justisaur

Nov 4, 2008, 3:56:56 PM11/4/08
A pretty major problem with dead and/or missing residents of megaton.
In my current game I found Lucy West dead on the ground after only
entering it one time before, In my previous one Walter was dead on the
ground too...

I found a couple fixes after some searching...

First if you've got a randomly dead npc...
tilde key:
`
select the dead npc
type:
Resurrect 1

For a missing NPC...
From "wertpoiu"

I finally figured out the whole problem. NPCs from Megaton are somehow
falling to inaccesible place in game, which appears to be above or
under worldmap marker (by the river). There is easy way how to summon
those NPCs by console commands as in Oblivion. There is no way to
duplicate unique NPCs, so you have to move those lost one back to
their positions.

To summon Moriarty you have to do this:

1)Go to his bar

2)Go into console mode (press ~ )

3)Write and confirm: prid 00003b3c (that is Moriartys object ID)

4)now you have selected Moriarty and can move him to any item in the
world, so you can put him right next to bar stool, so write down this:

moveto 00003f61

5) He should be here and act normally

For other lost NPCs you have to find out their Object IDs, either by
appear after disappaering( player.moveto 00003b3c ) ...Object Id
appears when you click on character in console mode. Personally I had
three NPCs lost: Moriarty, Walter and Billy so there are their Ids:

Walter´s ID - 00003b59

Billy´s ID - 00003b5a

I hope this will help anyone who s having this kind of trouble and i m
glad i could help... :P

have fun plaing game and lets hope that there would be no more game
spoiling glitches...

- Justisaur

morvak

Nov 4, 2008, 4:01:08 PM11/4/08
On Nov 4, 3:56 pm, Justisaur <justis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A pretty major problem with dead and/or missing residents of megaton.
> In my current game I found Lucy West dead on the ground after only
> entering it one time before, In my previous one Walter was dead on the
> ground too...
>
> I found a couple fixes after some searching...
>
> First if you've got a randomly dead npc...
> tilde key:
> `

*polite snip*

I don't understand, why would you " cheat " ? Maybe this is not a
problem and part of the game?

Or IS it a problem, a bug, that people are reporting?

morvak

Nov 4, 2008, 4:25:49 PM11/4/08
nevermind. i just read about the BUG on bethsoft forums. That sucks.

I may just hold off on playing until there's a patch. Got to finish
The Witcher anyway and I still want to get Dead Space and Left 4 Dead.

Memnoch

Nov 4, 2008, 5:23:42 PM11/4/08
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:56:56 -0800 (PST), Justisaur <just...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>A pretty major problem with dead and/or missing residents of megaton.

What is it with Bethsoft and their games!? I had problems like this in both
Morrowind and Oblivion. And yet I don't believe I have had it in any other
game. Is it the engine? It seems strange that the same problem should occur.
It never happened in Daggerfall though so I would guess that it is the engine?

WDS

Nov 4, 2008, 5:35:53 PM11/4/08
On Nov 4, 4:23 pm, Memnoch
<memn...@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:56:56 -0800 (PST), Justisaur <justis...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >A pretty major problem with dead and/or missing residents of megaton.
>
> What is it with Bethsoft and their games!? I had problems like this in both
> Morrowind and Oblivion. And yet I don't believe I have had it in any other
> game. Is it the engine? It seems strange that the same problem should occur.
> It never happened in Daggerfall though so I would guess that it is the engine?

Actually, Daggerfall was horrible with people falling through the
scenery, especially you. And it is fairly common for most (if not
all) "real" 3D games. I had it happen with great regularity in the
Gothic games for instance, especially the last one.

Memnoch

Nov 4, 2008, 10:05:26 PM11/4/08

I remember falling into the Void in the dungeons in Daggerfall and actually
used it a few times to make short work of them. But I don't remember having to
'cheat' NPCs back in to existence. I had to do that with both Morrowind and
Oblivion. It just seemed amusing to me. I'm betting that for Elder Scrolls 5
it will be happening again. Perhaps Bethsoft could have a bit of code that
checks for stuff like this. Either that or give them all mining helmets!

John Lewis

Nov 5, 2008, 2:03:17 AM11/5/08
<just...@gmail.com> wrote:

>A pretty major problem with dead and/or missing residents of megaton.
>In my current game I found Lucy West dead on the ground after only
>entering it one time before, In my previous one Walter was dead on the
>ground too...

No problem for me so far, and I have re-entered Megaton probably
dozens of times. FO3 Retail Version 1.0.0.12.

Could be a very erratic bug. Did you try reloading from a save-game
well before the bad event and try retracing your activities just to
see whether the bug is systematic?

Something wrong with your pirated copy? LOL.......

John Lewis

Pibbur Dragon

Nov 5, 2008, 2:23:23 AM11/5/08
Memnoch skrev:
There's of course "Might and Magic 9", only in that game dead NPC's were
still around. I know. I played it all the way through.

--
Pibbur

Memnoch

Nov 5, 2008, 2:01:31 PM11/5/08

I played it almost to the end. I think the last bit I saw was this weird
bridge where different platforms kept going up and down. Nice game while it
lasted.

Justisaur

Nov 5, 2008, 6:54:23 PM11/5/08
On Nov 4, 11:03 pm, john....@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:56:56 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
>
> <justis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >A pretty major problem with dead and/or missing residents of megaton.
> >In my current game I found Lucy West dead on the ground after only
> >entering it one time before, In my previous one Walter was dead on the
> >ground too...
>
> No problem for me so far, and I have re-entered Megaton probably
> dozens of times. FO3 Retail Version 1.0.0.12.
>
> Could be a very erratic bug. Did you try reloading from a save-game
> well before the bad event and try retracing your activities just to
> see whether the bug is systematic?

It is a very erratic bug. From what I've read one person saw a couple
of the NPCs bump into each other and one got shoved through the
railing falling to his death (why they write it so NPCs even take
falling damage I don't know). I haven't actually had any of them
missing so far, but I think the weapon caravan is missing in my first
game, it's hard to tell though since they rotate, and I haven't
bothered to check hourly.

Since I've gotten dogmeat I've had him disappear on me a couple times,
fortunately I had a save right before hand and didn't have to try
summoning him.

I did resurrect Lucy West though. That was really funny, She started
raising at a moderate speed straight up into the sky as if she were
ascending to heaven, It was about noon, so there was the light of the
sun shining down on her in a halo too. Only instead of Angels
attending her there were the circling crows. I watched her for a few
minutes, my wife commented on it since I was giggling historically.
After I got bored watching her, I left, and next time I came back to
Moriarty's she was sitting in her usual spot in her skivvies (I
couldn't pass up the opportunity to loot her when she was dead).

> Something wrong with your pirated copy? LOL.......

I'm getting really tired of this, John. I ought to shove my
collector's edition Fallout 3 CD up your ass. That might shut you up
since you're talking out of it.

This game is really turning into a bugfest for me, at least if I had a
pirated copy I wouldn't have to reinsert the CD every time I started
the game, so that would be one less issue to worry about. I can't
comment on if pirating would alleviate any of the other issues I've
been experiencing since I didn't. It's awfully tempting to try to get
a pirated copy so i can see if any of my other issues go away too. Of
course the DRM from Mass Effect probably wouldn't be too happy, and
I've no idea what the hell that would do... or perhaps that's whats
causing all my problems.

- Justisaur

Mark Morrison

Nov 5, 2008, 7:42:09 PM11/5/08
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:54:23 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<just...@gmail.com> wrote:

>This game is really turning into a bugfest for me, at least if I had a
>pirated copy I wouldn't have to reinsert the CD every time I started
>the game, so that would be one less issue to worry about.

You don't - change the shortcut to link to Fallout3.exe, rather that
FalloutLauncher.exe, and it doesn't look for the CD.

Be interesting to see if it makes a difference. I did it right away,
and have never need an NPC bug in the way you have (although one guy
in Megaton seemed to go missing, in my first game).

Michael Cecil

Nov 5, 2008, 10:30:44 PM11/5/08

If that guy who works in the water processing plant during the day
vanishes, it's apparently a known bug. Apparently he falls off a path and
dies or something. You can resurrect him with the console though.

Find his body. Open the console with the ` (tilde).
Use the mouse to click on his body so you can see his ID#.

type into the console:
prid [the ID #]
resurrect
enable

Then exit the console and he should be back to normal.
--
Michael Cecil
Turos the Champion, Krond the Guard and Malmo the Burglar

Pibbur Dragon

Nov 5, 2008, 10:38:29 PM11/5/08
Memnoch skrev:

I enjoyed it, although it was extremely buggy. But for some reason I
found a very well hidden gem behind all the "undocumented features".

--
Pibbur

Greg Johnson

Nov 5, 2008, 11:12:24 PM11/5/08
On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 21:30:44 -0600, Michael Cecil <mac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:42:09 +0000, Mark Morrison <bl...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:54:23 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
>><just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>This game is really turning into a bugfest for me, at least if I had a
>>>pirated copy I wouldn't have to reinsert the CD every time I started
>>>the game, so that would be one less issue to worry about.
>>
>>You don't - change the shortcut to link to Fallout3.exe, rather that
>>FalloutLauncher.exe, and it doesn't look for the CD.
>>
>>Be interesting to see if it makes a difference. I did it right away,
>>and have never need an NPC bug in the way you have (although one guy
>>in Megaton seemed to go missing, in my first game).
>
>If that guy who works in the water processing plant during the day
>vanishes, it's apparently a known bug. Apparently he falls off a path and
>dies or something. You can resurrect him with the console though.
>
>Find his body. Open the console with the ` (tilde).
>Use the mouse to click on his body so you can see his ID#.
>
>type into the console:
>prid [the ID #]
>resurrect
>enable

If you can see the body, then clicking on it will select the ID - you
don't need to type it AFAIK.

Andrew Rybenkov

Nov 6, 2008, 5:16:58 AM11/6/08
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 06:38:29 +0300, Pibbur Dragon <oopsREM...@tele2CA.PSno> wrote:

> But for some reason I found a very well hidden gem behind all the "undocumented features".

What is it?

--
Andrew Rybenkov

Lara Croft had died in The Last Revelation - say NO to impostors

Pibbur Dragon

Nov 6, 2008, 6:02:55 AM11/6/08

Andrew Rybenkov skrev:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 06:38:29 +0300, Pibbur Dragon <oopsREM...@tele2CA.PSno> wrote:
>
>> But for some reason I found a very well hidden gem behind all the "undocumented features".
>
> What is it?

A good and well designed game, if you discarded the bugs. Which I for
some reason did in that case (I normally don't).

I think it would have been ranked as one of the better Might and Magics
if it had been given another 3-6 months so that it was finished before
release.

--
Pibbur

Memnoch

Nov 6, 2008, 9:58:37 AM11/6/08
On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 21:30:44 -0600, Michael Cecil <mac...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 00:42:09 +0000, Mark Morrison <bl...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:54:23 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
>><just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>This game is really turning into a bugfest for me, at least if I had a
>>>pirated copy I wouldn't have to reinsert the CD every time I started
>>>the game, so that would be one less issue to worry about.
>>
>>You don't - change the shortcut to link to Fallout3.exe, rather that
>>FalloutLauncher.exe, and it doesn't look for the CD.
>>
>>Be interesting to see if it makes a difference. I did it right away,
>>and have never need an NPC bug in the way you have (although one guy
>>in Megaton seemed to go missing, in my first game).
>
>If that guy who works in the water processing plant during the day
>vanishes, it's apparently a known bug. Apparently he falls off a path and
>dies or something. You can resurrect him with the console though.
>
>Find his body. Open the console with the ` (tilde).
>Use the mouse to click on his body so you can see his ID#.
>
>type into the console:
>prid [the ID #]
>resurrect
>enable
>
>Then exit the console and he should be back to normal.

I've lost Moriarty in my game. The indicator points to Megaton but the
indicator on the World Map shows him North near the river. I presume he has
fallen beneath the ground. I'll have a look at the post that mentions how to
summon him back. Hopefully this won't be happening a lot.

Justisaur

Nov 6, 2008, 2:25:54 PM11/6/08
On Nov 5, 4:42 pm, Mark Morrison <bl...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:54:23 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
>
> <justis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >This game is really turning into a bugfest for me, at least if I had a
> >pirated copy I wouldn't have to reinsert the CD every time I started
> >the game, so that would be one less issue to worry about.
>
> You don't - change the shortcut to link to Fallout3.exe, rather that
> FalloutLauncher.exe, and it doesn't look for the CD.

Can you change the graphics settings without the launcher? I'm still
trying to find a setting I can live with. I was getting some pretty
bad choppiness fighting the fire ants last night even outside of VATS,
and I dropped the textures back to medium again. I swear the game is
somehow deteriorating the more I play it.

- Justisaur

Memnoch

Nov 7, 2008, 11:09:27 AM11/7/08
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:25:54 -0800 (PST), Justisaur <just...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Nov 5, 4:42 pm, Mark Morrison <bl...@aol.com> wrote:

I guess my setup is okay then. I've had no performance issues at all so far.
The only thing I have noticed when exiting the game was in the bottom right of
the toolbar the ffdshow icons. So I put an exception for the game in both the
audio and video configs for it. When I then started playing the game all the
audio was wobbly, including in game music and the radio. I switched the audio
exception off and the audio was then okay again.

But graphically it is stunning. Massive draw distance, LOD appears to work
well and have only noticed it working a few times.

My setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo X6800
MSI Platinum P.E.
4GB Corsair Dominator
XFX Nvidia 9800 GX2
C.Labs. Xi-Fi Fatal1ty
Vista x64 Business

Andrew Rybenkov

Nov 8, 2008, 7:46:47 AM11/8/08
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:02:55 +0300, Pibbur Dragon <oopsREM...@tele2CA.PSno> wrote:

> A good and well designed game, if you discarded the bugs. Which I for some reason did in that case (I normally don't).
>I think it would have been ranked as one of the better Might and Magics if it had been given another 3-6 months so that it was finished before release.

I wholeheartly agree. Seems I just misunderstood that "gem" part - thought you had found in the game
something unknown.