Maple Story, one week later.

Michael Vondung

Nov 5, 2004, 1:12:10 PM11/5/04
Last week I discovered Maple Story, a free MMORPG that is unlike other
MMORPGs. In essence, it is a side-scrolling platform game (think Super
Mario Brothers or Sonic here, or even Pitfall) with RPG and character
development elements, as well as a Diablo II "stuff" touch. It features
painfully cute anime artwork, which makes it look like a kiddie game,
but there is actually some substance beneath the sugary surface. I've
played it for a week now, and rather excessively, so here are some
observations.

Pros:

- The game is very easy to get into, and can be played intuitively.
There is no complex user interface that needs to be learned. New
characters start on a newbie island where they will stay until level
8-10. The class is picked only then. (Though characters need to be
planned when they are created, or stat points are wasted.)

- Almost every monster drops something. There are common and rare items,
and of course "gold" (called "mesos"). Loot is plentiful, so for people
who like "stuff", this game is great for treasure hunting.

- Respawn of monsters is dynamic. The more people are in an area, the
faster monsters respawn. If there are twenty people in the same area
(multiple screens wide and tall), then you'll be killing monsters nonstop.

- Most basic items up to level 30 can be bought from NPC vendors. In
addition, players can have NPCs make specific items, provided the player
supplies the raw materials. It can be rather involved to get the
incredients, but the motivation factor is high. It's not unusual to
spend days on collecting what you need.

- Many items can be upgraded and enchanted, so buying or finding items
is not necessarily the only way to get better equipment.

- There are raw materials and refined materials. Monsters only drop raw
materials, but NPCs will gladly refine them, for a fee. For instance, to
make a specific wand, the player needs sapphires and processed wood. In
order to get this, you'll first have to collect tree branches (dropped
by certain monsters) and get them refined to processed wood (10 branches
give 1 processed wood). For the sapphire, the player needs to find 10
ore with sapphires included, and then refine those.

- The game has level-based quests. Some of them are of the fedex type,
others require "skill" or involve killing specific monsters. They are
not overly original, but it's something to do. There are also quest
rewards, both XP and items.

- There is a number of quests specially for parties.

- The game uses a job advancement system. At levels 10, 30 and 70 (and
later 120), the character can "branch off" and specialize. For instance,
a character can decide to be a magician at level 10, then specialize to
cleric at level 30, and eventually become a priest at level 70. Already
learned skills/spells remain available even after a job advancement. The
advantage here is that advancement to a new class is only possible if no
skill points are left, so "lower" skills need to be used. There's no
point in not using low level skills/spells because something better will
be available later on.

- Both skill and attribute points can be saved up, but must be spent
before a job advancement (10, 30, 70, 120).

- There are "bank" NPCs that work like a shared stash. All characters on
an account can access the same (small) stash, for a fee, which allows
for 100% secure item transfers between characters.

- The world is huge. There are many "screens" (remember, it's a 2D
side-scrolling platform MMORPG) with a wide variety of monsters. There
are different monsters of a similar level, so it's possible to choose an
area to play in. (This means you can avoid crowded hotspots and still
get experience).

- XP points that a monster gives are fixed. A slime bubble gives 10 xp,
no matter if you kill it at level 10 or 50. Each new level requires more
experience points, and higher level monsters give more experience, but
killling low level monsters isn't entirely useless.

- There's a vivid economy. People trade and sell items, and there's a
secure trading system. Raw materials and rare items are often auctioned
off, and it's a good way to raise cash.

- The game has a fame system. You can fame or defame one player per day,
though you cannot fame or defame the same player in the next thirty
days. Some people sell their fame points for money, but all in all, this
is a good way to reward good behaviour and punish jerks.

- There's a buddy system allowing people to talk to all of their friends
at the same time (group chat). Whisper and party chat is also supported.

- Maple Story does not support PvP. This also means there is no PKing,
and nobody can kill you.

- There is no level limit. You can level your character as high as you want.

- The game is free and will stay free. There will be a "cash shop" that
will allow players to buy additional items (that can then be traded),
but there are no plans for a monthly fee.

Cons:

- The cute artwork attracts a lot of kids, so expect some cavemen
speech, though in general people don't talk too much.

- The server is in Korea, so lag is a reality for anyone not living in Asia.

- The artwork is extremely cute. Even monsters are cute. Everything is
cute, and disgustingly so ;)! See here:
http://img25.exs.cx/img25/5108/Maple0026.jpg The mushroom is a monster,
as are the armoured pigs!

- There are some hacks around that give the abusers some advantages
(like invulnerability). The game is still in development, so this is not
too bad -- the company bans accounts for such offenses. Hacks don't
affect other players usually.

- The game is item-dependent, much like Diablo II, which is an advantage
and a disadvantage. Useful equipment up to level 35 can be found in NPC
stores (level 35 is not easy to achieve).

- It really helps to start with the perfect stats, otherwise the
character will be weak later on.

- People are grabby. If an item drops, it's free for everyone. Ten out
of nine bystanding people will try to grab it. Fortunately, there are
very rarely ten people standing near by!

- Picking up items is cumbersome. You walk on it, and press the pick-up
key. Sounds nice, but is a problem if there is a pile of item, as you
cannot select which item you want to pick up. Can be annoying if there
is a weapon you want, buried under coins and other stuff, and by the
time you have picked up all the other stuff, someone else comes by and
snatches the weapon.

- There is no story. There are quests, but the game is all about
character development/advancement and "finding stuff".

- The translation of text is not always flawless, and frequently simple.
You don't find an "emerald enclosed in a rock", you find an "ore of
emerald". It's not a big problem, and it's even cute, but don't expect
well-written texts.

- Mages are overly powerful. Most classes are balanced, but mages have
it much easier past level 13-15 (they have it harder before).

- This is a grind game. It's all about finding stuff, killing monsters
and gaining experience. It's not a story-driven game, at least not now.

- There are many Asian players, and most of them do not speak English
well. I'm not one of those who mind Koreans or other Asians, but I know
that some people have issues with them. I always thought it was racist,
however. That said, I've added this to the "cons" section, since there
are sometimes language barriers, and people who cannot handle poor
spelling won't enjoy chatting in Maple Story. Personally, I've found it
interesting to learn some Singaporean words (yes, I asked when I didn't
understand something. :)).

- The game is full of stereotypes and cliches. Wizards wear pointed hats
with little moons on them, archers look like Robin Hood, thieves have a
backstreet look to them, and so on.

- At lower levels "kill stealing" is frequent. It's not too bad, since
the experience is shared between everyone who did damage to a monster,
and based on how damage someone did. Kill stealing isn't efficient after
the lower levels.

All in all I am having a good time with Maple Story. In many ways it is
Diablo2-like, though the graphics take some time getting used to. I'm
sure there are people who won't be able to get over them at all. After
that point it's a pretty addictive, entertaining game. I have only two
level 20 and 22 characteres, which is still on the first advancement
level, so I will post more once I get into the 30s. :)

Maple Story can be downloaded at http://www.mapleglobal.com/ -- yes,
it's "cute". :)

Tip: Roll the die until you get a 4 in the two stats that your character
will *not* need. Stats needed by classes: Magicians = INT and LUK,
Warriors = DEX and STR, Thieves = DEX and LUK, Bowmen = DEX and STR. One
of the is always a secondary stat that is chiefly needed to equip items.
Never, ever put points into Mana or Hitpoints. There'll be skills to
increase those later, and you WILL need the points in the main stats.
Expect to remake your first character.

M.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Nov 5, 2004, 1:32:33 PM11/5/04
Michael Vondung <mvon...@gmail.com> writes:

> Tip: Roll the die until you get a 4 in the two stats that your
> character will *not* need. Stats needed by classes: Magicians = INT
> and LUK, Warriors = DEX and STR, Thieves = DEX and LUK, Bowmen = DEX
> and STR. One of the is always a secondary stat that is chiefly needed
> to equip items. Never, ever put points into Mana or Hitpoints.
> There'll be skills to increase those later, and you WILL need the
> points in the main stats. Expect to remake your first character.

Also: Make sure you have enough in the primary stat when you hit the
level where you can change from Beginner to one of the professions:
Delaying the profession choice by a level in effect will "cost" you
three skill points you will never get back. To summarize:

Profession Level Stat Value
Warrior 10 Str 35
Magican 8 Int 20
Thief 10 Dex 25
Bowman 10 Dex 25

The killstealing *is* really abundant: I always get frustrated when my
lowly level 12 warrior is trying to whack monsters near the warrior
city and every monster is overkilled by level 25+ wizards or bowmen.
When you do 30 damage and the other guy does 250, your share of the
pithy exp is miniscule.

Nostromo

Nov 5, 2004, 5:32:46 PM11/5/04
Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvon...@gmail.com>, Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:12:10
+0100, Anno Domini:

Monsters drop *tree branches* now? Even my suspension of disbelief may
suffer from this. I know Chainbreaker's wouldn't survive. >8^D

>give 1 processed wood). For the sapphire, the player needs to find 10
>ore with sapphires included, and then refine those.
>
>- The game has level-based quests. Some of them are of the fedex type,
>others require "skill" or involve killing specific monsters. They are
>not overly original, but it's something to do. There are also quest
>rewards, both XP and items.
>
>- There is a number of quests specially for parties.
>
>- The game uses a job advancement system. At levels 10, 30 and 70 (and
>later 120), the character can "branch off" and specialize. For instance,
>a character can decide to be a magician at level 10, then specialize to
>cleric at level 30, and eventually become a priest at level 70. Already
>learned skills/spells remain available even after a job advancement. The
>advantage here is that advancement to a new class is only possible if no
>skill points are left, so "lower" skills need to be used. There's no
>point in not using low level skills/spells because something better will
>be available later on.
>
>- Both skill and attribute points can be saved up, but must be spent
>before a job advancement (10, 30, 70, 120).

Interesting - why this mechanic? What's the point of not letting people save
them up to use them as part of their new profession (even though I know that
smells 'wrong') - game balance mainly?

>- There are "bank" NPCs that work like a shared stash. All characters on
>an account can access the same (small) stash, for a fee, which allows
>for 100% secure item transfers between characters.

Until someone hacks it with a trade hack. And given the game is free, what's
the incentive of the devs to hear out your grievances...?

>- The world is huge. There are many "screens" (remember, it's a 2D
>side-scrolling platform MMORPG) with a wide variety of monsters. There
>are different monsters of a similar level, so it's possible to choose an
>area to play in. (This means you can avoid crowded hotspots and still
>get experience).
>
>- XP points that a monster gives are fixed. A slime bubble gives 10 xp,
>no matter if you kill it at level 10 or 50. Each new level requires more
>experience points, and higher level monsters give more experience, but
>killling low level monsters isn't entirely useless.

If you're still lookin for tree branches? ;-p *duck*

>- There's a vivid economy. People trade and sell items, and there's a
>secure trading system. Raw materials and rare items are often auctioned
>off, and it's a good way to raise cash.
>
>- The game has a fame system. You can fame or defame one player per day,
>though you cannot fame or defame the same player in the next thirty
>days. Some people sell their fame points for money, but all in all, this
>is a good way to reward good behaviour and punish jerks.

Ahhh, no. *Rich* jerks will buy off their 'defamed' behaviour. QED.

>- There's a buddy system allowing people to talk to all of their friends
>at the same time (group chat). Whisper and party chat is also supported.
>
>- Maple Story does not support PvP. This also means there is no PKing,
>and nobody can kill you.

1 good point so far in my books :) (actually I'm being harsh - I like a lot
of the rest you've posted, but I just couldn't bring myself to 2 things:
1. The cutedsy Anime
2. side-scroller/platform based gaming

>- There is no level limit. You can level your character as high as you want.
>
>- The game is free and will stay free. There will be a "cash shop" that
>will allow players to buy additional items (that can then be traded),
>but there are no plans for a monthly fee.

Cool. One question: what's in it for them? Ads?

>Cons:
>
>- The cute artwork attracts a lot of kids, so expect some cavemen
>speech, though in general people don't talk too much.
>
>- The server is in Korea, so lag is a reality for anyone not living in Asia.
>
>- The artwork is extremely cute. Even monsters are cute. Everything is
>cute, and disgustingly so ;)! See here:
>http://img25.exs.cx/img25/5108/Maple0026.jpg The mushroom is a monster,
>as are the armoured pigs!
>
>- There are some hacks around that give the abusers some advantages
>(like invulnerability). The game is still in development, so this is not
>too bad -- the company bans accounts for such offenses. Hacks don't
>affect other players usually.

Last famous words lol! >;-)

>- The game is item-dependent, much like Diablo II, which is an advantage
>and a disadvantage. Useful equipment up to level 35 can be found in NPC
>stores (level 35 is not easy to achieve).

Have you tried muleing yet or is it unnecessary with the vaults? I guess
with no cd-key multi-pcs are also redundant, unless you want your
friends/partner to play...?

>- It really helps to start with the perfect stats, otherwise the
>character will be weak later on.

Great. And there is are on-rails guides to tell you what this is? So much
for experimentation & unconventional builds ala D2.

>- People are grabby. If an item drops, it's free for everyone. Ten out
>of nine bystanding people will try to grab it. Fortunately, there are
>very rarely ten people standing near by!

Ummm...you did say Korea & you did say *KIDS*, errr, right? ;-p

>- Picking up items is cumbersome. You walk on it, and press the pick-up
>key. Sounds nice, but is a problem if there is a pile of item, as you
>cannot select which item you want to pick up. Can be annoying if there
>is a weapon you want, buried under coins and other stuff, and by the
>time you have picked up all the other stuff, someone else comes by and
>snatches the weapon.

Just like RL :) Hey, it's just another way to make someone 'pop' (is this
case, a vein in their forehead :).

>- There is no story. There are quests, but the game is all about
>character development/advancement and "finding stuff".

That's the 3rd thing that I *really* don't like, right there.

>- The translation of text is not always flawless, and frequently simple.
>You don't find an "emerald enclosed in a rock", you find an "ore of
>emerald". It's not a big problem, and it's even cute, but don't expect
>well-written texts.
>
>- Mages are overly powerful. Most classes are balanced, but mages have
>it much easier past level 13-15 (they have it harder before).
>
>- This is a grind game. It's all about finding stuff, killing monsters
>and gaining experience. It's not a story-driven game, at least not now.

Maybe you will get CB in >8^D

>- There are many Asian players, and most of them do not speak English
>well. I'm not one of those who mind Koreans or other Asians, but I know
>that some people have issues with them. I always thought it was racist,
>however. That said, I've added this to the "cons" section, since there
>are sometimes language barriers, and people who cannot handle poor
>spelling won't enjoy chatting in Maple Story. Personally, I've found it
>interesting to learn some Singaporean words (yes, I asked when I didn't
>understand something. :)).

So, Koreans don't read Usenet, like white men can't jump? Fair enuff.

>- The game is full of stereotypes and cliches. Wizards wear pointed hats
>with little moons on them, archers look like Robin Hood, thieves have a
>backstreet look to them, and so on.
>
>- At lower levels "kill stealing" is frequent. It's not too bad, since
>the experience is shared between everyone who did damage to a monster,
>and based on how damage someone did. Kill stealing isn't efficient after
>the lower levels.

A good thing. Have you tried CoH yet Michael? NO KSing, lots of story,
plenty of grind (if you really want it) & fantastic teamplay/ppl. Or were
you the one that didn't like the spandex genre, so now you've gone to
kiddie-fantasy? ;-p *duck*

--
Replace 'spamfree' with ('k__umcgl_' + ascii 123456789) to reply via email.

Michael Vondung

Nov 5, 2004, 6:14:05 PM11/5/04
Nostromo wrote:

> Monsters drop *tree branches* now? Even my suspension of disbelief may
> suffer from this. I know Chainbreaker's wouldn't survive. >8^D

Well! The monsters that drop tree branches ARE trees, so it does make
sense! ;) You can see one of them here:
http://www.mapleglobal.com/library/info_images/info_monster/1130100.jpg
These are actually fun to kill. Slow, dumb, nice sound when hit.

> Interesting - why this mechanic? What's the point of not letting people save
> them up to use them as part of their new profession (even though I know that
> smells 'wrong') - game balance mainly?

You usually have enough skill points per "job advancement" to max out
most of the skills available to you. You can't have ALL skills, but many
of them. Game balance is the most probable reason, but it actually helps
the game play, too. You won't end up getting totally frustrated while
trying to get to a higher level while spending as few points as humanly
possible (like getting a D2 Meteor/FO sorceress from 1 to 30 without
rushing). Leveling in Maple Story is not as fast as in D2. Getting to
level 10 is easy, and I managed 20, too, but it slows down then. It
would be very painful if you didn't invest in some skills. You get 3
skill points per level, plus an extra one when you advance to a new
job/class. Skills max out between 10 and 20. You also get 5 stat points
per level ... no stat caps.

> Until someone hacks it with a trade hack. And given the game is free, what's
> the incentive of the devs to hear out your grievances...?

They will want to sell cash items. People won't pay for items if they
can be easily stolen or hacked.

> Ahhh, no. *Rich* jerks will buy off their 'defamed' behaviour. QED.

It does happen. People have offered me 3000 coins for a fame point. I
did sell one, because I really needed cash for new equipment, but my
other points were either spent to defame idiots or fame people who
didn't grab that nice piece of ore that I desperately tried to get into
my inventory. Oh, the inventory space depends on your level, by the way.
It increases at level 10/30/70/120. The fame system isn't perfect, but
there is at least *something* you can do. I think most decent people
will have very little fame.

> 1 good point so far in my books :) (actually I'm being harsh - I like a lot
> of the rest you've posted, but I just couldn't bring myself to 2 things:
> 1. The cutedsy Anime
> 2. side-scroller/platform based gaming

I had not played platform games since Pitfall on an Atari 2600 in 1982
or '83. Well, no, I also played some Sonic games when I lived with an ex
and her son, some ten years ago. I'd never buy a platform game, but
oddly enough, it's quite fun in Maple Story. It's very smooth to play,
and doesn't feel tedious. I'm surprised that it grew on me -- didn't
expect it, at all. I share your opinion about the anime artwork, but it
works for the game. I play it for the items and the levels. :p

> Cool. One question: what's in it for them? Ads?

The international version doesn't have the cash shop implemented yet,
but the Japanese and Korean servers do. You'll be able to buy vanity
items, and pets, for real money -- you can also trade them with others,
or buy them for others. They apparently only last for 90 days, then
you'll have to re-purchase them. Having worked for a company that ran an
item-based online world for years, I can say that this is a good
approach. The alternative is item/database bloat, paired with insane
inflation, which tends to kill games. In Maple Story, you can see
whatever your character wears, even the ear rings. People are vain when
it comes to appearance, so I'm sure that this system will work -- people
will pay money just to look differently than the rest. Worked that way
in WorldsAway (now vzones.com -- I worked for them until late 2000), so
it's a proven system. I think Gunbound also uses this approach.

> Have you tried muleing yet or is it unnecessary with the vaults? I guess
> with no cd-key multi-pcs are also redundant, unless you want your
> friends/partner to play...?

You can make as many accounts as you want, but each account only holds
three characters, and the vaults are tied to an account, so only these
three characters can use it. The vault currently only holds four items
plus gold, so it's really only useful to safely tranfer items between
your characters. Materials, gems, metals, potions, etc. stack, by the
way, so inventory space is not as big of a problem as it is in D2.
Leveling is slow, so you are unlikely to play fifty characters. More
than two or three will almost be too much, and chances are that you'll
focus on just one character that you frequently play. I have three, but
I'm still in the experimental stages. For instance, I'm leveling two
mages to 30, so that I can compare a cleric to a ice/lightning wizard. I
want to know which I enjoy more. But I won't keep leveling both of them.
I also have a dagger-using thief that will advance to a bandit. It's a
different playstyle, and I pick him when I feel like melee. Thieves are
also the most under-played class, and I do like playing under-used
classes. :)

> Great. And there is are on-rails guides to tell you what this is? So much
> for experimentation & unconventional builds ala D2.

There aren't so many different builds like in D2, but each of the four
basic classes split into sub-classes at levels 30, 70 and 120, so the
higher you get, the more options you are given for character
customization. It's a good system insofar that you are not overwhelmed
with decisions right when you start, but get a chance to learn the
basics, and then slowly turn your character into a more
sophisticated/specialized build. In some ways this is a brilliant design.

> Ummm...you did say Korea & you did say *KIDS*, errr, right? ;-p

Well, look at the graphics. :P It attracts kids like shit attracts
flies. It's still a good game. :)

> Maybe you will get CB in >8^D

I'd love that. But he's a stubborn old goat! :P (Just testing of he
reads this thread!)

> A good thing. Have you tried CoH yet Michael? NO KSing, lots of story,
> plenty of grind (if you really want it) & fantastic teamplay/ppl. Or were
> you the one that didn't like the spandex genre, so now you've gone to
> kiddie-fantasy? ;-p *duck*

Yes, that was me. I don't like the super hero theme. It's worse even
than sugary anime artwork. :p I also don't feel like paying a monthly
fee right now.

M.

Nostromo

Nov 5, 2004, 7:22:27 PM11/5/04
Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvon...@gmail.com>, Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:14:05
+0100, Anno Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>
>> Monsters drop *tree branches* now? Even my suspension of disbelief may
>> suffer from this. I know Chainbreaker's wouldn't survive. >8^D
>
>Well! The monsters that drop tree branches ARE trees, so it does make
>sense! ;) You can see one of them here:
>http://www.mapleglobal.com/library/info_images/info_monster/1130100.jpg
>These are actually fun to kill. Slow, dumb, nice sound when hit.

Aha! Well, why didn't you say so in the 1st place! ;-)

>> Interesting - why this mechanic? What's the point of not letting people save
>> them up to use them as part of their new profession (even though I know that
>> smells 'wrong') - game balance mainly?
>
>You usually have enough skill points per "job advancement" to max out
>most of the skills available to you. You can't have ALL skills, but many
>of them. Game balance is the most probable reason, but it actually helps
>the game play, too. You won't end up getting totally frustrated while
>trying to get to a higher level while spending as few points as humanly
>possible (like getting a D2 Meteor/FO sorceress from 1 to 30 without
>rushing). Leveling in Maple Story is not as fast as in D2. Getting to
>level 10 is easy, and I managed 20, too, but it slows down then. It
>would be very painful if you didn't invest in some skills. You get 3
>skill points per level, plus an extra one when you advance to a new
>job/class. Skills max out between 10 and 20. You also get 5 stat points
>per level ... no stat caps.

Cool. You know what's cooler? Respecs in CoH! >8^D

>> Until someone hacks it with a trade hack. And given the game is free, what's
>> the incentive of the devs to hear out your grievances...?
>
>They will want to sell cash items. People won't pay for items if they
>can be easily stolen or hacked.

HUH? Is this like another ebay scam game or something? What did I miss? :-/

>> Ahhh, no. *Rich* jerks will buy off their 'defamed' behaviour. QED.
>
>It does happen. People have offered me 3000 coins for a fame point. I
>did sell one, because I really needed cash for new equipment, but my
>other points were either spent to defame idiots or fame people who
>didn't grab that nice piece of ore that I desperately tried to get into
>my inventory. Oh, the inventory space depends on your level, by the way.
>It increases at level 10/30/70/120. The fame system isn't perfect, but
>there is at least *something* you can do. I think most decent people
>will have very little fame.

So the powermongers & richies will have the most? Explain to me again how
this is a good system? ;-p

>> 1 good point so far in my books :) (actually I'm being harsh - I like a lot
>> of the rest you've posted, but I just couldn't bring myself to 2 things:
>> 1. The cutedsy Anime
>> 2. side-scroller/platform based gaming
>
>I had not played platform games since Pitfall on an Atari 2600 in 1982
>or '83. Well, no, I also played some Sonic games when I lived with an ex
>and her son, some ten years ago. I'd never buy a platform game, but
>oddly enough, it's quite fun in Maple Story. It's very smooth to play,
>and doesn't feel tedious. I'm surprised that it grew on me -- didn't
>expect it, at all. I share your opinion about the anime artwork, but it
>works for the game. I play it for the items and the levels. :p

You l00t l0va!

>> Cool. One question: what's in it for them? Ads?
>
>The international version doesn't have the cash shop implemented yet,
>but the Japanese and Korean servers do. You'll be able to buy vanity
>items, and pets, for real money -- you can also trade them with others,
>or buy them for others. They apparently only last for 90 days, then
>you'll have to re-purchase them. Having worked for a company that ran an
>item-based online world for years, I can say that this is a good
>approach. The alternative is item/database bloat, paired with insane
>inflation, which tends to kill games. In Maple Story, you can see
>whatever your character wears, even the ear rings. People are vain when
>it comes to appearance, so I'm sure that this system will work -- people
>will pay money just to look differently than the rest. Worked that way
>in WorldsAway (now vzones.com -- I worked for them until late 2000), so
>it's a proven system. I think Gunbound also uses this approach.

Hmmm...I still prefer to know what I'm up for up front (monthly). Call me a
bean counter, but I do have to budget for these things ya know? ;-)

>> Have you tried muleing yet or is it unnecessary with the vaults? I guess
>> with no cd-key multi-pcs are also redundant, unless you want your
>> friends/partner to play...?
>
>You can make as many accounts as you want, but each account only holds
>three characters, and the vaults are tied to an account, so only these
>three characters can use it. The vault currently only holds four items
>plus gold, so it's really only useful to safely tranfer items between
>your characters. Materials, gems, metals, potions, etc. stack, by the
>way, so inventory space is not as big of a problem as it is in D2.
>Leveling is slow, so you are unlikely to play fifty characters. More
>than two or three will almost be too much, and chances are that you'll
>focus on just one character that you frequently play. I have three, but
>I'm still in the experimental stages. For instance, I'm leveling two
>mages to 30, so that I can compare a cleric to a ice/lightning wizard. I
>want to know which I enjoy more. But I won't keep leveling both of them.
>I also have a dagger-using thief that will advance to a bandit. It's a
>different playstyle, and I pick him when I feel like melee. Thieves are
>also the most under-played class, and I do like playing under-used
>classes. :)

I do know that about you! ;-p

>> Great. And there is are on-rails guides to tell you what this is? So much
>> for experimentation & unconventional builds ala D2.
>
>There aren't so many different builds like in D2, but each of the four
>basic classes split into sub-classes at levels 30, 70 and 120, so the
>higher you get, the more options you are given for character
>customization. It's a good system insofar that you are not overwhelmed
>with decisions right when you start, but get a chance to learn the
>basics, and then slowly turn your character into a more
>sophisticated/specialized build. In some ways this is a brilliant design.

I was talking more about the stat/skill choices - if you go unconventional
you severely hamstring yourself, to the point of being unplayable, if I read
between the lines correctly. Now THAT sux!

>> Ummm...you did say Korea & you did say *KIDS*, errr, right? ;-p
>
>Well, look at the graphics. :P It attracts kids like shit attracts
>flies. It's still a good game. :)

LOL!

>> Maybe you will get CB in >8^D
>
>I'd love that. But he's a stubborn old goat! :P (Just testing of he
>reads this thread!)

Oh, he's an English teacher - he reads *everything*! :)

>> A good thing. Have you tried CoH yet Michael? NO KSing, lots of story,
>> plenty of grind (if you really want it) & fantastic teamplay/ppl. Or were
>> you the one that didn't like the spandex genre, so now you've gone to
>> kiddie-fantasy? ;-p *duck*
>
>Yes, that was me. I don't like the super hero theme. It's worse even
>than sugary anime artwork. :p I also don't feel like paying a monthly
>fee right now.

2 reasons that are hard to argue with. But I have to tell ya, the monthly
fee seems quite worth it, considering the time 'investment' & the content
they keep adding, *especially* non-elite content available to low-mid
levels. Seems like someone at Cryptic has half a brain after all. :)
With CoV coming, it will be like an almost entire new game! The main reason
I came back was because of the *respec* trial - I changed my main
*completely* @ 24th & I tell ya, it's almost like a completely new game.
Even if it gets old, there's another at 34th & another @ 44th :). If D2 had
done this, I'd probably still be playing :).
As far as spandex goes, get over it. Make a 'normal' looking superhero, or
an alien one, or a dwarf/elf looking one (you virtually can you know!). And
come play. And bring CB back, the old fart! ;-p

Michael Vondung

Nov 5, 2004, 7:43:27 PM11/5/04
Nostromo wrote:

> HUH? Is this like another ebay scam game or something? What did I miss? :-/

No, it's just a system where most items are free, and some are "premium"
items that can be bought for real money. I sort of like that system. I'm
unlikely to actually buy an item (which is ironic, since my income has
been dependent on similar systems for years now), and would rather trade
a rare, hard to find item for a cash item, but it does keep games free
and can help to make the playing field a bit more even.

> So the powermongers & richies will have the most? Explain to me again how
> this is a good system? ;-p

Fame, right now, doesn't do anything. It is planned that you will be
able to charter a guild if you have at least 100 fame, and then will get
a percentage of the experience that your guild members get when killing
monsters (5%, I believe). I'm not sure if I like -that-. But for now
it's just a gimmick, and obnoxious jerks will constantly have to buy
fame points if they want to keep their high fame level. A character can
only give one point to a specific character per *month*. So you'd have
to pay 100 different players to get a fame level of 100. New characters
also cannot give *any* fame points (they have to be level 15, which is
half a day's work), so making fake accounts is also not an efficient option.

> You l00t l0va!

That's me! I hate games with no loot or non-random loot. How boring!

> I was talking more about the stat/skill choices - if you go unconventional
> you severely hamstring yourself, to the point of being unplayable, if I read
> between the lines correctly. Now THAT sux!

Stat-wise, yes, definitely. Skill-wise you have more options, and gain
even more as you advance to new jobs/classes. How is that different from
other games, though? If you waste skill points in D2, you end up with a
weaker character, too. The only system that prevents that is a by-use
skill system, like in UO and partly in Morrowind, and you do hate that!

> 2 reasons that are hard to argue with. But I have to tell ya, the monthly
> fee seems quite worth it, considering the time 'investment' & the content
> they keep adding, *especially* non-elite content available to low-mid
> levels.

But CB quit it. His taste in games matches mine almost perfectly, and if
he doesn't like a game, I know for sure that I won't like it, either. I
kept an eye on CoH, and when CB quit, I was mentally done with it also.
I bought an expensive LCD display and a TV card (that I know hardly ever
use!), so extra money is tight for a couple of months. I don't want to
buy a boxed game, especially one with a monthly fee, if I don't know if
I'll enjoy it. I also don't have broadband, so there's an added risk
that something will lag like hell with ISDN (bit faster than 56k).

> And bring CB back, the old fart! ;-p

Old fart is so nasty! At least I called him old goat! :P (I really like
him, though, he's an admirable man.)

M.

Nostromo

Nov 5, 2004, 8:25:36 PM11/5/04
Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvon...@gmail.com>, Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:43:27
+0100, Anno Domini:

>> I was talking more about the stat/skill choices - if you go unconventional
>> you severely hamstring yourself, to the point of being unplayable, if I read
>> between the lines correctly. Now THAT sux!
>
>Stat-wise, yes, definitely. Skill-wise you have more options, and gain
>even more as you advance to new jobs/classes. How is that different from
>other games, though? If you waste skill points in D2, you end up with a
>weaker character, too. The only system that prevents that is a by-use
>skill system, like in UO and partly in Morrowind, and you do hate that!

Yeah, but D2 made *unconventional* builds viable (depending on player's
skills). Yo made it sound like MS made them unplayable. Maybe I read too
much into your words - it's been known to happen ;-)

>> 2 reasons that are hard to argue with. But I have to tell ya, the monthly
>> fee seems quite worth it, considering the time 'investment' & the content
>> they keep adding, *especially* non-elite content available to low-mid
>> levels.
>
>But CB quit it. His taste in games matches mine almost perfectly, and if
>he doesn't like a game, I know for sure that I won't like it, either. I
>kept an eye on CoH, and when CB quit, I was mentally done with it also.

You having a virtual r/ship with CB or somethin? ;-p

He quit too early & yet he hung in too long, in a way. Issue #2 & the
forthcoming expansion(s) have resurrected the game for me (*especially* the
respec trials). Your (& CB's) loss Michael...:(

>I bought an expensive LCD display and a TV card (that I know hardly ever
>use!), so extra money is tight for a couple of months. I don't want to
>buy a boxed game, especially one with a monthly fee, if I don't know if
>I'll enjoy it. I also don't have broadband, so there's an added risk
>that something will lag like hell with ISDN (bit faster than 56k).

How's that LCD workin for ya?

And CoH is *eminently* playable on dial-up - ask Xocyll or a few others in
the coh ng.

>> And bring CB back, the old fart! ;-p
>
>Old fart is so nasty! At least I called him old goat! :P (I really like
>him, though, he's an admirable man.)

Oh yes, for a l00t-l0vin construction worker <grin> *duck*

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Nov 6, 2004, 3:47:17 AM11/6/04
Michael Vondung <mvon...@gmail.com> writes:

> Well! The monsters that drop tree branches ARE trees, so it does make
> sense! ;) You can see one of them here:
> http://www.mapleglobal.com/library/info_images/info_monster/1130100.jpg
> These are actually fun to kill. Slow, dumb, nice sound when hit.

No, that's the one with an axe in it, they drop firewood. The branches
are droppeds from the tree stumps that look like that but without the
axe.

> Oh, the inventory space depends on your level, by
> the way. It increases at level 10/30/70/120.

Not automatically, it increases when you change job, and those are the
levels you can do that at.

> The international version doesn't have the cash shop implemented yet,
> but the Japanese and Korean servers do.

Which is why I can't understand why there seems to be relatively many
Asian players on the international servers. Are these people who were
kicked out of the Asian servers for excessive killstealing? :)

> Well, look at the graphics. :P It attracts kids like shit attracts
> flies. It's still a good game. :)

Disney's Toontown Online (3D) and the upcoming Hello Kitty "online
world" (isometric) will also be for kids. Howerver, the former is also
of interest to adults, especially jaded gamers looking for the essence
of cooperative MMORPG gaming.

Clay

Nov 6, 2004, 10:02:45 PM11/6/04
> Last week I discovered Maple Story, a free MMORPG that is unlike other
> MMORPGs. In essence, it is a side-scrolling platform game (think Super
> Mario Brothers or Sonic here, or even Pitfall) with RPG and character
> development elements, as well as a Diablo II "stuff" touch. It features
> painfully cute anime artwork, which makes it look like a kiddie game,
> but there is actually some substance beneath the sugary surface. I've
> played it for a week now, and rather excessively, so here are some
> observations.

Well, I downloaded it, but it keeps giving me an error.

Can't play the silly thing... it sounds fun, though.

-Clay

Xocyll

Nov 7, 2004, 1:29:08 PM11/7/04
Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvon...@gmail.com>, Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:12:10
>+0100, Anno Domini:
<snip>

>>- There are raw materials and refined materials. Monsters only drop raw
>>materials, but NPCs will gladly refine them, for a fee. For instance, to
>>make a specific wand, the player needs sapphires and processed wood. In
>>order to get this, you'll first have to collect tree branches (dropped
>>by certain monsters) and get them refined to processed wood (10 branches
>
>Monsters drop *tree branches* now? Even my suspension of disbelief may
>suffer from this. I know Chainbreaker's wouldn't survive. >8^D

But a tree branch could be the most primitive weapon - a club.

<snip>

>>- People are grabby. If an item drops, it's free for everyone. Ten out
>>of nine bystanding people will try to grab it. Fortunately, there are
>>very rarely ten people standing near by!
>
>Ummm...you did say Korea & you did say *KIDS*, errr, right? ;-p

Well you could always play during Korean school hours.

<snip>

>>- There are many Asian players, and most of them do not speak English
>>well. I'm not one of those who mind Koreans or other Asians, but I know
>>that some people have issues with them. I always thought it was racist,
>>however. That said, I've added this to the "cons" section, since there
>>are sometimes language barriers, and people who cannot handle poor
>>spelling won't enjoy chatting in Maple Story. Personally, I've found it
>>interesting to learn some Singaporean words (yes, I asked when I didn't
>>understand something. :)).
>
>So, Koreans don't read Usenet, like white men can't jump? Fair enuff.

Don't think he means that, but there are people who know no english and
only ever read the country/language specific usenet groups, not the "in
english" general ones.
Then there's all the other ones who can't tell the difference between
the web and the internet and wouldn't recognize usenet if it walked up
and kicked them in the ass.

Xocyll

Xocyll

Nov 9, 2004, 12:21:24 PM11/9/04
Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvon...@gmail.com>, Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:43:27

>+0100, Anno Domini:
>
>>> I was talking more about the stat/skill choices - if you go unconventional
>>> you severely hamstring yourself, to the point of being unplayable, if I read
>>> between the lines correctly. Now THAT sux!
>>
>>Stat-wise, yes, definitely. Skill-wise you have more options, and gain
>>even more as you advance to new jobs/classes. How is that different from
>>other games, though? If you waste skill points in D2, you end up with a
>>weaker character, too. The only system that prevents that is a by-use
>>skill system, like in UO and partly in Morrowind, and you do hate that!
>
>Yeah, but D2 made *unconventional* builds viable (depending on player's
>skills). Yo made it sound like MS made them unplayable. Maybe I read too
>much into your words - it's been known to happen ;-)

Well D2 did that until 1.10 and the boosted critter hp and resists made
the whole synergy structure and unique items _necessary_.
There's no place in 1.10 D2 for a Beekeeper, for instance, since
charged bolts get almost no synergy boost.

>>> 2 reasons that are hard to argue with. But I have to tell ya, the monthly
>>> fee seems quite worth it, considering the time 'investment' & the content
>>> they keep adding, *especially* non-elite content available to low-mid
>>> levels.
>>
>>But CB quit it. His taste in games matches mine almost perfectly, and if
>>he doesn't like a game, I know for sure that I won't like it, either. I
>>kept an eye on CoH, and when CB quit, I was mentally done with it also.
>
>You having a virtual r/ship with CB or somethin? ;-p
>
>He quit too early & yet he hung in too long, in a way. Issue #2 & the
>forthcoming expansion(s) have resurrected the game for me (*especially* the
>respec trials). Your (& CB's) loss Michael...:(

The new content keeps the game "fresh" for me and you I guess, but CB's
complaint was mostly due to all the running around and lack of loot and
that hasn't changed. Badges are something to collect, but it's not
quit the same as treasure to be hunted for.

Some of that new content _can't_ be seen until you're level 40.

Imagine a world with no continents, just islands.
Now cut all the islands free of the world, and leave them floating in
air at different heights. Remove the planet entirely.
Welcome to the Shadow Shard.

One kinda neat thing, fruit gathering missions.
Sounds pretty silly doesn't it?

Only, gathering the fruit also gives you inspirations, 1 for each plant
harvested, stage 3 inspirations.

Nice way to stock up on the higher level inspirations you may _need_ to
complete another mission.

>>I bought an expensive LCD display and a TV card (that I know hardly ever
>>use!), so extra money is tight for a couple of months. I don't want to
>>buy a boxed game, especially one with a monthly fee, if I don't know if
>>I'll enjoy it. I also don't have broadband, so there's an added risk
>>that something will lag like hell with ISDN (bit faster than 56k).
>
>How's that LCD workin for ya?
>
>And CoH is *eminently* playable on dial-up - ask Xocyll or a few others in
>the coh ng.

It is indeed, though it requires a bit more work on the player's part,
to "shop around" the servers to finds the one that runs the
fastest/smoothest for the player. Not exactly great if you have a
bunch of friends who have chosen one server and that one runs like crap
for you.
Hit 43 last night on my scrapper.

Nostromo

Nov 9, 2004, 3:33:17 PM11/9/04
Thus spake Xocyll <Xoc...@kingston.net>, Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:21:24 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>>He quit too early & yet he hung in too long, in a way. Issue #2 & the
>>forthcoming expansion(s) have resurrected the game for me (*especially* the
>>respec trials). Your (& CB's) loss Michael...:(
>
>The new content keeps the game "fresh" for me and you I guess, but CB's
>complaint was mostly due to all the running around and lack of loot and
>that hasn't changed. Badges are something to collect, but it's not
>quit the same as treasure to be hunted for.

He shoulda just got CJ & SS by 14th - problem solved. Add SJ by 16th &
you'll never want for travel speed again.

>Some of that new content _can't_ be seen until you're level 40.

Look forward to it :)

>Imagine a world with no continents, just islands.
>Now cut all the islands free of the world, and leave them floating in
>air at different heights. Remove the planet entirely.
>Welcome to the Shadow Shard.

Keeeeeewl!!! MA! Watch me jump off the worrrrrrllllllldddddddddd....

>One kinda neat thing, fruit gathering missions.
>Sounds pretty silly doesn't it?
>
>Only, gathering the fruit also gives you inspirations, 1 for each plant
>harvested, stage 3 inspirations.
>
>Nice way to stock up on the higher level inspirations you may _need_ to
>complete another mission.

Hmmm.

>>>I bought an expensive LCD display and a TV card (that I know hardly ever
>>>use!), so extra money is tight for a couple of months. I don't want to
>>>buy a boxed game, especially one with a monthly fee, if I don't know if
>>>I'll enjoy it. I also don't have broadband, so there's an added risk
>>>that something will lag like hell with ISDN (bit faster than 56k).
>>
>>How's that LCD workin for ya?
>>
>>And CoH is *eminently* playable on dial-up - ask Xocyll or a few others in
>>the coh ng.
>
>It is indeed, though it requires a bit more work on the player's part,
>to "shop around" the servers to finds the one that runs the
>fastest/smoothest for the player. Not exactly great if you have a
>bunch of friends who have chosen one server and that one runs like crap
>for you.
>Hit 43 last night on my scrapper.

Grats! I hit 26 with Kelvin. Slowpoke :-/

Xocyll

Nov 10, 2004, 10:48:58 AM11/10/04
Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Thus spake Xocyll <Xoc...@kingston.net>, Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:21:24 -0500,

>Anno Domini:
>
>>>He quit too early & yet he hung in too long, in a way. Issue #2 & the
>>>forthcoming expansion(s) have resurrected the game for me (*especially* the
>>>respec trials). Your (& CB's) loss Michael...:(
>>
>>The new content keeps the game "fresh" for me and you I guess, but CB's
>>complaint was mostly due to all the running around and lack of loot and
>>that hasn't changed. Badges are something to collect, but it's not
>>quit the same as treasure to be hunted for.
>
>He shoulda just got CJ & SS by 14th - problem solved. Add SJ by 16th &
>you'll never want for travel speed again.

I used to have the SS+SJ combo, and while it is about as fast as you can
go, traveling multiple zones to a mission gets tedious, and that's
exactly CB's complaint.

>>Some of that new content _can't_ be seen until you're level 40.
>
>Look forward to it :)

It's a buzz.

>>Imagine a world with no continents, just islands.
>>Now cut all the islands free of the world, and leave them floating in
>>air at different heights. Remove the planet entirely.
>>Welcome to the Shadow Shard.
>
>Keeeeeewl!!! MA! Watch me jump off the worrrrrrllllllldddddddddd....

At which point you get teleported back to the start of the zone.
If you don't have Fly or TP, the only way between "islands" is these
gravity geyser thingies - and if you hit them too fast, you'll overshoot
the landing point.

Go too far up, down, or n/s/e/w and you end up getting teleported back
to start - quite handy when you want to get there and you're on the
other side of the zone, just jump off.

>>One kinda neat thing, fruit gathering missions.
>>Sounds pretty silly doesn't it?
>>
>>Only, gathering the fruit also gives you inspirations, 1 for each plant
>>harvested, stage 3 inspirations.
>>
>>Nice way to stock up on the higher level inspirations you may _need_ to
>>complete another mission.
>
>Hmmm.

Very, very handy. Finally cleared a nasty mission last night, a
certain Arch Villain called Anti-Matter.
This guy is essentially a Rad/Rad defender, only he does way more
damage, and has so much end he never even comes close to running low.

4 stage3 heals and 10 stage3 rages it took for me to finally "arrest"
the bugger.

>>>How's that LCD workin for ya?
>>>
>>>And CoH is *eminently* playable on dial-up - ask Xocyll or a few others in
>>>the coh ng.
>>
>>It is indeed, though it requires a bit more work on the player's part,
>>to "shop around" the servers to finds the one that runs the
>>fastest/smoothest for the player. Not exactly great if you have a
>>bunch of friends who have chosen one server and that one runs like crap
>>for you.
>>Hit 43 last night on my scrapper.
>
>Grats! I hit 26 with Kelvin. Slowpoke :-/

My main impetus at this point is to hit 50 before update 3 comes out so
I can try out the epic race that's supposed to be in it.

Course I do also spend hours gaining now experience at all, flying back
and forth, forth and back, removing all the "fog of war" from the shadow
shard zones (well ok, the part that actually has stuff in it - I
circumnavigate then clear inside that space.)

Hey, 4 more levels and you get to have an aura.

Found a nice one for my current costume - went with a light gray "vapor"
on the hands.
It both meshes well with the Hasten "flames" and leaves a nice
plane-like vapor trail behind me as I fly which adds that little
something to fly.

Nostromo

Nov 10, 2004, 2:33:52 PM11/10/04
Thus spake Xocyll <Xoc...@kingston.net>, Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:48:58 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>>He shoulda just got CJ & SS by 14th - problem solved. Add SJ by 16th &
>>you'll never want for travel speed again.
>
>I used to have the SS+SJ combo, and while it is about as fast as you can
>go, traveling multiple zones to a mission gets tedious, and that's
>exactly CB's complaint.

Strange. It's less than 2-3 mins *tops* to get to any mission for me now.
And on avg it's more like a min or less. I don't even notice the travel time
any more.

>>>Some of that new content _can't_ be seen until you're level 40.
>>
>>Look forward to it :)
>
>It's a buzz.

Just had a sneak preview of being SKed to some missions in FF/Peregrine last
night - lot of fun. Never seen so many status effects to the right of he
teammates names - nearly went off the RHS from the middle.

>>>Imagine a world with no continents, just islands.
>>>Now cut all the islands free of the world, and leave them floating in
>>>air at different heights. Remove the planet entirely.
>>>Welcome to the Shadow Shard.
>>
>>Keeeeeewl!!! MA! Watch me jump off the worrrrrrllllllldddddddddd....
>
>At which point you get teleported back to the start of the zone.
>If you don't have Fly or TP, the only way between "islands" is these
>gravity geyser thingies - and if you hit them too fast, you'll overshoot
>the landing point.
>
>Go too far up, down, or n/s/e/w and you end up getting teleported back
>to start - quite handy when you want to get there and you're on the
>other side of the zone, just jump off.

This IS CoH we're still talkin about, errr, right? :-/

>>>One kinda neat thing, fruit gathering missions.
>>>Sounds pretty silly doesn't it?
>>>
>>>Only, gathering the fruit also gives you inspirations, 1 for each plant
>>>harvested, stage 3 inspirations.
>>>
>>>Nice way to stock up on the higher level inspirations you may _need_ to
>>>complete another mission.
>>
>>Hmmm.
>
>Very, very handy. Finally cleared a nasty mission last night, a
>certain Arch Villain called Anti-Matter.
>This guy is essentially a Rad/Rad defender, only he does way more
>damage, and has so much end he never even comes close to running low.

HaX0R!!!

>4 stage3 heals and 10 stage3 rages it took for me to finally "arrest"
>the bugger.

Grats!

>>>Hit 43 last night on my scrapper.
>>
>>Grats! I hit 26 with Kelvin. Slowpoke :-/
>
>My main impetus at this point is to hit 50 before update 3 comes out so
>I can try out the epic race that's supposed to be in it.

Lookin fwd to that one too. I think if they do PvP in CoV well, they'll
cream all the other mmogs, hands down.

>Course I do also spend hours gaining now experience at all, flying back
>and forth, forth and back, removing all the "fog of war" from the shadow
>shard zones (well ok, the part that actually has stuff in it - I
>circumnavigate then clear inside that space.)

Another compulsive cartographer like me ;-)

>Hey, 4 more levels and you get to have an aura.
>
>Found a nice one for my current costume - went with a light gray "vapor"
>on the hands.
>It both meshes well with the Hasten "flames" and leaves a nice
>plane-like vapor trail behind me as I fly which adds that little
>something to fly.

Show off. ;-p

Xocyll

Nov 11, 2004, 9:27:15 AM11/11/04
Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Thus spake Xocyll <Xoc...@kingston.net>, Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:48:58 -0500,

>Anno Domini:
>
>>>He shoulda just got CJ & SS by 14th - problem solved. Add SJ by 16th &
>>>you'll never want for travel speed again.
>>
>>I used to have the SS+SJ combo, and while it is about as fast as you can
>>go, traveling multiple zones to a mission gets tedious, and that's
>>exactly CB's complaint.
>
>Strange. It's less than 2-3 mins *tops* to get to any mission for me now.
>And on avg it's more like a min or less. I don't even notice the travel time
>any more.

You will.
See what you don't have to experience yet are the zones that have no
train and contacts in them. If you have contacts deep in Founder's
Falls, and they send you to Crey's Folly (or worse - the Rikti Crash
site), you've got to cross the zone, change zones to Talos, cross part
of zone to reach the train in Talos, change zones via train to
Brickstown, cross about a third of the zone to the gate, change zones
again to Crey's Folly (and yet again cross zone, change zone to the
RCS.)

>>>Look forward to it :)
>>
>>It's a buzz.
>
>Just had a sneak preview of being SKed to some missions in FF/Peregrine last
>night - lot of fun. Never seen so many status effects to the right of he
>teammates names - nearly went off the RHS from the middle.

>>>Keeeeeewl!!! MA! Watch me jump off the worrrrrrllllllldddddddddd....
>>
>>At which point you get teleported back to the start of the zone.
>>If you don't have Fly or TP, the only way between "islands" is these
>>gravity geyser thingies - and if you hit them too fast, you'll overshoot
>>the landing point.
>>
>>Go too far up, down, or n/s/e/w and you end up getting teleported back
>>to start - quite handy when you want to get there and you're on the
>>other side of the zone, just jump off.
>
>This IS CoH we're still talkin about, errr, right? :-/

Yep, though you're in another dimension/world.

>>>Hmmm.
>>
>>Very, very handy. Finally cleared a nasty mission last night, a
>>certain Arch Villain called Anti-Matter.
>>This guy is essentially a Rad/Rad defender, only he does way more
>>damage, and has so much end he never even comes close to running low.
>
>HaX0R!!!

Yeah. Cryptic has a distressing tendency to make all the AVs the
so-called Tank-Mages it would be "unbalanced" to let players be.

>>4 stage3 heals and 10 stage3 rages it took for me to finally "arrest"
>>the bugger.
>
>Grats!

He killed me about 4 times in total, but in the end, I triumphed (it's
comics, the hero always wins in the end.) :)

>>>Grats! I hit 26 with Kelvin. Slowpoke :-/
>>
>>My main impetus at this point is to hit 50 before update 3 comes out so
>>I can try out the epic race that's supposed to be in it.
>
>Lookin fwd to that one too. I think if they do PvP in CoV well, they'll
>cream all the other mmogs, hands down.

Quite possibly, though I have exactly zero interest in PvP.
It will of course depend on exactly how the hero powers affect villains
and vice versa.

>>Course I do also spend hours gaining now experience at all, flying back
>>and forth, forth and back, removing all the "fog of war" from the shadow
>>shard zones (well ok, the part that actually has stuff in it - I
>>circumnavigate then clear inside that space.)
>
>Another compulsive cartographer like me ;-)

I just like to see where i'm going.

It's always bugged me to have a mission located in the middle of
blackness.

I never liked the blackness in the city zones, since you should be able
to get a map. Hazard zones could be expected to be less well mapped and
the Shard is unmapped since it is another dimension that the Paragon
City humans have only been in for a short time.

>>Hey, 4 more levels and you get to have an aura.
>>
>>Found a nice one for my current costume - went with a light gray "vapor"
>>on the hands.
>>It both meshes well with the Hasten "flames" and leaves a nice
>>plane-like vapor trail behind me as I fly which adds that little
>>something to fly.
>
>Show off. ;-p

That's me. I even went to Atlas and did flybys on the newbies. :)

Konrad Gaertner

Nov 12, 2004, 9:59:16 PM11/12/04
Clay wrote:

> Well, I downloaded it, but it keeps giving me an error.
>
> Can't play the silly thing... it sounds fun, though.

I just finished downloading it myself. I'm still on dialup, so
I got the rar version, and there's a CRC error in part08. I
deleted it, downloaded that part again, still get an error. Any
advice?

--KG

meo...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2005, 2:13:20 AM1/7/05