Fallout Team: Besides Wasteland...

JW

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

What were your main influences for making Fallout (besides Wasteland and
Gurps)? Which past CRPG's/Pen-Paper games/Books/movies did you draw
from?

also, it seems as if there are some Blade Runner fans on your
development team... I spotted Decker and Rutger & the .223;
Anybody spot anything else?

JW

Timothy Cain

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

In article <34709E...@jjj.edu>,

JW <jwest...@jjj.edu> wrote:
>What were your main influences for making Fallout (besides Wasteland and
>Gurps)? Which past CRPG's/Pen-Paper games/Books/movies did you draw
>from?

I don't think I can answer this, since so many people has a hand in the design
and scripting, and it seems everyone put in their own little in-joke or reference.
I mean, I'm surprised by some of the things in the game!

But some of the movies the inspired us were Road Warrior, Brazil, City of Lost
Children, Blade Runner, Batman, Ghost in the Shell, On the Beach and of course,
Star Wars. A lot of adventure ideas were variations on things I've seen in MUD's
about 7 years ago at the peak of my playing.

As far as books, oddly enough the book "Lord of Light" by Zelazny was an
inspiration. Not so much for material but for the main character Sam. He was
driven by a morality in that he was actually trying to help people from being
oppressed, and I used to think "What would Sam do?" when testing an adventure
seed that required the player to want to help a town.

Of course, others on the team like to think "What would Brian Boytano do..." :)

>also, it seems as if there are some Blade Runner fans on your
>development team... I spotted Decker and Rutger & the .223;
>Anybody spot anything else?

While we are fans of the movie and did put in references, the Decker in the
game is named after my original producer, Tom Decker. He's in the credits.
He's exactly the same in real life as the game... :)

Tim.

----------------------
Fallout Producer and Lead Programmer
Interplay Productions

Sbennie

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

>>What were your main influences for making Fallout (besides Wasteland and
Gurps)? Which past CRPG's/Pen-Paper games/Books/movies did you draw from?

I think the real question was what crpgs, pen-paper games, books, movies
*haven't* we experienced. Every member on the team probably has different
things they threw into the mix. We're about as eclectic as it gets, and
there's a lot of in-jokes and pop references in the game.

But the stuff that a lot of us get together and watch are things like Babylon
Five, South Park, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Reboot. And we like dogs too.

Scott Bennie
Team Fallout