Baldur's Gate release date slippage. 10/28 according to EB

Olaf

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
FWIW, the EB site has pushed back the date to 10/28, this is definitely not
'late summer'.

http://www.ebworld.com/ebx/

olaf

Mike Upham

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Olaf (ol...@onr.com) wrote:
> FWIW, the EB site has pushed back the date to 10/28, this is definitely not
> 'late summer'.

No, it's a week past the end of summer, but it's also irrelevant since
all retail stores' "release dates" for BG are just guesses. BioWare and
Interplay have never given a specific release date (and still haven't).

Ray's definitive statement last spring was "When it rocks". As of a couple
days ago, he said he thought the most likely release was still in September,
but that depends on how the next month's testing unfolds...

slink

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

No offense, but 10/28 is a lot more than a week past the end of
summer. Summer ends 9/20 or thereabouts.

--
Sandra -> http://www.netins.net/showcase/slink/
GEEK CODE Version 3.12: GS>AT !d(++)@ s:+ a+ C+++($) !U(C/H$) P(+)@

Olaf

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Well, usually (~99.9% of the time) when a store gets a release date wrong,
their date is too optimistic, so I would be very surprised to see it before
November.

Also, I dont think EB throws darts at calendars to get release dates, this
info comes from publishers. so it is a _little_ better than a guess.

olaf

joelm...@geocities.com

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
In article
<481483FAB2A4631C.E7AB586F...@library-proxy.airnews.net
>, "Olaf" <ol...@onr.com> wrote:

> Well, usually (~99.9% of the time) when a store gets a release date wrong,
> their date is too optimistic, so I would be very surprised to see it before
> November.

Store dates are always wrong unless the publisher themselves provide a sign
announcing the date (and sometimes not even then).

> Also, I dont think EB throws darts at calendars to get release dates, this
> info comes from publishers. so it is a _little_ better than a guess.

Actually, given how bad EB is at predicting dates they should throw darts at
a calender.

Joel Mathis

Wayne Dahl

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
this was pulled off the Baldur's Gate message board Ray from Bioware
replies to a release date rumor!

We're trying our best to get the game done ASAP. This could be as early as
August, but September is the most likely time.

Most importantly, we want to make sure that the game is balanced and that
all bugs are fixed before we release - both Interplay and BioWare have made
a commitment to release as good a product with BG as possible. As a
relatively new developer, our reputation rides on it.

ray

Also from the messageboard some info on the Q&A thats going on!

Well, the new page is up. Many, Many thanks goes out to Leviticus (of BG
Chronicles fame) for the set up and all the work he put into the web page.
Content will be added as time allows, but the updates section I will
endevour to keep up to date. Now for the update: QA is going full force and
going better than expected. We are over 1800 bugs found thats like 800
active and 1000 killed. I get asked "what kind of bugs are they", or,"whats
the worst bug found yet". Bugs can be anything, from a bad animation tile,
whacked out GUI problems, AI going all wild, and game ending crashes. The
vast majority of bugs are scripting bugs. Messed up sub plots. The good
thing about that is they are usually VERY easy to fix, there just is a lot
of em. We got a bunch of sounds the other day, it's great to finally hear
the characters walk, open doors etc. I'm amazed how much sound adds to the
gameplay.

Ben

here are a few links to get more acurrate data about the game!

http://www.geminisector.com/cl/
http://www.bioware.com/ben/updates.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/9038/
http://www.bgchronicles.com/
http://www.vaultnetwork.com/
http://www.interplay.com/bgate/index.html

Just a little info to hold us over!

Crumwell

Ian Stephenson

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Olaf <ol...@onr.com> wrote:

>Well, usually (~99.9% of the time) when a store gets a release date wrong,
>their date is too optimistic, so I would be very surprised to see it before
>November.
>

>Also, I dont think EB throws darts at calendars to get release dates, this
>info comes from publishers. so it is a _little_ better than a guess.

Publishers? Or distributors?

Either way, the retailers might as well be throwing a dart - it's likely
to be just as accurate.
--

Ian

Ian Stephenson

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Mike Upham <m...@col.hp.com> wrote:

>Olaf (ol...@onr.com) wrote:
>> FWIW, the EB site has pushed back the date to 10/28, this is definitely not
>> 'late summer'.
>
>No, it's a week past the end of summer

You what? I dunno where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere it's
_well_ into Autumn and is rather closer to winter in the eyes of many.

>, but it's also irrelevant since
>all retail stores' "release dates" for BG are just guesses. BioWare and
>Interplay have never given a specific release date (and still haven't).

Quite. Which makes you wonder where the retailers get their dates from.
Probably the distributors. When will retailers learn they're always
being lied to?

>Ray's definitive statement last spring was "When it rocks". As of a couple
>days ago, he said he thought the most likely release was still in September,
>but that depends on how the next month's testing unfolds...

Careful. A programmer's release is different from a release to the
public. If it's released to the publisher in September, it really
_could_ be the back-end of October before it's filtered through the
distributors and onto the retailers' shelves.

And, as ever, us poor sods who outside of America will be left waiting
several more weeks for the bloody thing. I do wonder if we'll see it in
time for Christmas?
--

Ian

Mike Upham

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Olaf (ol...@onr.com) wrote:
> Also, I dont think EB throws darts at calendars to get release dates, this
> info comes from publishers. so it is a _little_ better than a guess.

My mistake; EB's date is mid-Fall. However, listening to ex-EB employees,
their release dates are at least as bad as anyone else's, and Interplay (BG's
publisher) hasn't made ANY public comments about specific release dates.

Personally, I'd tend to believe BioWare over EB's guess. A quote from
BG's co-producer Ray Muzyka on the message board on 7/16/98:

"We're trying our best to get the game done ASAP. This could
be as early as August, but September is the most likely time.

Most importantly, we want to make sure that the game is
balanced and that all bugs are fixed before we release - both
Interplay and BioWare have made a commitment to release as
good a product with BG as possible. As a relatively new
developer, our reputation rides on it."

EB _might_ be right, but only if their guess on how QA will go from here
is better than the people working on it (which is certainly possible :-)

Wayne K. Edson

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
EB is notorious for having bum release dates.
Although EB also tends to be the first to have new releases in.

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:27:19 +0100, Ian Stephenson
<i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Mike Upham <m...@col.hp.com> wrote:
>
>>Olaf (ol...@onr.com) wrote:
>>> FWIW, the EB site has pushed back the date to 10/28, this is definitely not
>>> 'late summer'.
>>
>>No, it's a week past the end of summer
>
>You what? I dunno where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere it's
>_well_ into Autumn and is rather closer to winter in the eyes of many.

Autumn officially starts in late September. Winter starts December
21st, so I guess Autumn starts September 21st.

>>, but it's also irrelevant since
>>all retail stores' "release dates" for BG are just guesses. BioWare and
>>Interplay have never given a specific release date (and still haven't).
>
>Quite. Which makes you wonder where the retailers get their dates from.
>Probably the distributors. When will retailers learn they're always
>being lied to?

It's all a bunch of chains being jerked up the line. Customer demands
a date from retailer, retailer demands a date from distributor,
distributor demands a date from game company, game company demands
date from development team.

In the end it doesn't really matter to us consumers, since we don't
plan our lives around these games.

Ben Flieger

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

<35b51142....@gatekeeper.impacttech.com>...

>>You what? I dunno where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere
it's
>>_well_ into Autumn and is rather closer to winter in the eyes of
many.

>Autumn officially starts in late September. Winter starts December
>21st, so I guess Autumn starts September 21st.

True. 10/28 _is_ closer to summer than winter, but certainly isn't a
late summer release.

>It's all a bunch of chains being jerked up the line. Customer demands
>a date from retailer, retailer demands a date from distributor,
>distributor demands a date from game company, game company demands
>date from development team.
>
>In the end it doesn't really matter to us consumers, since we don't
>plan our lives around these games.

No matter what Bioware does with the release date, Interplay will get
yelled at. It's vaporware or released too early. However, luckily for
Ray et al., the developer is usually held blameless around these
parts, those e-vil business people usually receive all the blame. But
little of the credit. He's got a sweet deal unless he pulls a Cleve or
Derek, and starts lying and bragging and insulting people.

Barron

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Olaf wrote:

> FWIW, the EB site has pushed back the date to 10/28, this is definitely not
> 'late summer'.
>

> http://www.ebworld.com/ebx/
>
> olaf

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barron

--
"Bird Houses By Barron"
http://www.pyramid.net/barron

Jesse Ciener

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Well, I am a store manager at an EB store and it is very rare that a date
that our home office gives us is later than the actual release. You can be
guaranteed that EB will have the game first though :) (hopefully sooner
rather than later). Typically, games are delayed 2-4 times on our release
list and are almost always pushed back - not forward. Of course, Bioware
and Interplay are going to say the game is progressing well - it generates
more interest in the game if it is a month away instead of 3 months away. I
seem to recall that in magazines last year Baldur's Gate was scheduled for
October 1997 release (and this was an Interplay ad - not EB).

I am not saying that I don't want to this to be wrong - I have been on our
release list since the minute I heard of the game :). BTW, if anyone is
waiting for Everquest, our date has slipped to 11/30 on that too
(((( (which I believe even more than BG as it is in its first closed public
beta and it will be an enormous task to Beta-test).

Jesse Ciener
Store Manager
EB #290 Littleton, CO

BTW - any opinions expressed in this post are my personal opinion and don't
reflect EB as a whole.

Mike Upham wrote in message <6p2jba$60k$1...@nonews.col.hp.com>...

>Olaf (ol...@onr.com) wrote:
>> FWIW, the EB site has pushed back the date to 10/28, this is definitely
not
>> 'late summer'.
>

>No, it's a week past the end of summer, but it's also irrelevant since

>all retail stores' "release dates" for BG are just guesses. BioWare and
>Interplay have never given a specific release date (and still haven't).

Sean T Barrett

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Jesse Ciener <jci...@dimensional.com> wrote:
>Well, I am a store manager at an EB store.

>Of course, Bioware and Interplay are going to say the game is
>progressing well - it generates more interest in the game if it
>is a month away instead of 3 months away.

Of course, a retail store prefers to get customers to come
into their store sooner rather than later in the hopes that
those customers will buy something else even if the product
they were hoping for isn't in yet.

At least, that's the spin I could put on this if I wanted to
be extremely cynical. Maybe it *really* *is* their best guess.
But then, maybe those last two sentences should be applied
to your post as well.

Sean

Ian Stephenson

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Ben Flieger <a...@primenet.com> wrote:

><35b51142....@gatekeeper.impacttech.com>...
>>>You what? I dunno where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere
>it's
>>>_well_ into Autumn and is rather closer to winter in the eyes of
>many.
>>
>>Autumn officially starts in late September. Winter starts December
>>21st, so I guess Autumn starts September 21st.
>
>True. 10/28 _is_ closer to summer than winter, but certainly isn't a
>late summer release.

Just to clarify, I _did_ say "in the eyes of many", rather than
referring to the official start of winter. In the UK we tend to have a
cold snap during early- to mid-November. When that happens, summer
seems _such_ a long time ago.
--

Ian

Skip...@clr.com

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
In article <cROPUFAX...@gsymud.demon.co.uk>,
Ian Stephenson <i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Mike Upham <m...@col.hp.com> wrote:
>
> >No, it's a week past the end of summer
>
> You what? I dunno where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere it's
> _well_ into Autumn and is rather closer to winter in the eyes of many.

Eyes have nothing to do with it. It's 1 month into Autumn, which is by any
measure closer to summer than winter. And given this year, it'll still
probably be close to 100 degrees outside.

Skip

Jesse Ciener

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

Sean T Barrett wrote in message ...

>Of course, a retail store prefers to get customers to come
>into their store sooner rather than later in the hopes that
>those customers will buy something else even if the product
>they were hoping for isn't in yet.
>
>At least, that's the spin I could put on this if I wanted to
>be extremely cynical. Maybe it *really* *is* their best guess.
>But then, maybe those last two sentences should be applied
>to your post as well.
>
>Sean

Yes, I would agree with this in most cases but the EB date is later than the
Bioware date, so nobody looking for Baldur's Gate only will be coming into
the store looking for it sooner. I have worked for EB for 7 years and 99%
of the time a title on our release list is later rather than earlier than
its listed date (and if earlier typically only a couple of days).

I was not trying to start a flame war of EB or Bioware here, just stating my
opinion based on 7 years of delayed product releases and the reasoning
behind the dates.

Jesse

Didier Duchet

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
The latest release schedule, dated July 21st, of VLM Distribution
-distributors to the Trade- says 15th September (1998) at a _trade_
price of $46.20

If the distributor sells Baldur's Gate @ $46.20 to retailers, I dread
to think about the price retailers will sell to customers.

It should be noted that VLM are usually optimistic about release
dates. As an exemple, their release schedule dated 5th June gave a
release date of June 20th for Dune 2000 ....

To follow the thread of the post quoted below, it seems that one might
as well throw a blunt dart with a shaky hand, then add 3 months to
wait for the price to come down.

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:22:02 +0100, Ian Stephenson
<i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Olaf <ol...@onr.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, usually (~99.9% of the time) when a store gets a release date wrong,
>>their date is too optimistic, so I would be very surprised to see it before
>>November.
>>

>>Also, I dont think EB throws darts at calendars to get release dates, this
>>info comes from publishers. so it is a _little_ better than a guess.

Didier Duchet

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On 21 Jul 1998 17:32:26 GMT, m...@col.hp.com (Mike Upham) wrote:

>Olaf (ol...@onr.com) wrote:
>> FWIW, the EB site has pushed back the date to 10/28, this is definitely not
>> 'late summer'.
>

>No, it's a week past the end of summer,

Summer ends on September 20th
10/28 is October 28th, which makes it a 38 day week

> but it's also irrelevant since
>all retail stores' "release dates" for BG are just guesses. BioWare and
>Interplay have never given a specific release date (and still haven't).
>
>Ray's definitive statement last spring was "When it rocks".

On June 1st he said:
"We'll release the game when it's ready, and it looks like that will
be in the late summer"

Ben Flieger

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

Ian Stephenson wrote in message ...

>Just to clarify, I _did_ say "in the eyes of many", rather than
>referring to the official start of winter. In the UK we tend to have
>cold snap during early- to mid-November. When that happens, summer
>seems _such_ a long time ago.

Dude, I live in Cleveland. The normal weather for late October is
freezing rain/sleet.

Meghan Jenks (Interplay)

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:27:19 +0100, Ian Stephenson
<i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

>Careful. A programmer's release is different from a release to the
>public. If it's released to the publisher in September, it really
>_could_ be the back-end of October before it's filtered through the
>distributors and onto the retailers' shelves.

I've only been here at Interplay for a year, but having seen the
shipping of... geez *think* 30-50 titles in that time I've learned
that most titles go from mastering to the shelves in less than a
week's time. In fact it's usually on the shelves before we even get
our copies here!

--
Meghan S. Jenks Interplay Productions By Gamers. For Gamers.
mje...@interplay.com http://www.interplay.com alt.games.interplay

Lyle J. Mackey

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
In article <6p53sf$lmq$1...@nnrp02.primenet.com>,

Ben Flieger <a...@primenet.com> wrote:
>Dude, I live in Cleveland. The normal weather for late October is
>freezing rain/sleet.

Dude, I live in Austin. The normal weather for DECEMBER is 85 degrees plus.

-LjM

--
[ who | where | what ]
Lyle J. Mackey | Freeside Communications | TechSupportSysAdmin

Ian Stephenson

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Skip...@clr.com wrote:

>In article <cROPUFAX...@gsymud.demon.co.uk>,

> Ian Stephenson <i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Mike Upham <m...@col.hp.com> wrote:
>>
>> >No, it's a week past the end of summer
>>
>> You what? I dunno where you live, but in the Northern Hemisphere it's
>> _well_ into Autumn and is rather closer to winter in the eyes of many.

>Eyes have nothing to do with it. It's 1 month into Autumn, which is by any
>measure closer to summer than winter.

Hence my statement that it's "well into autumn". The original statement
that it's "a week after summer" is invalid, therefore I made the
assumption that the poster was basing his statement upon impression
rather than fact. However, "in the eyes of many", the statement would
still come across as invalid. In the UK, end-October is when the clocks

So, you say "by any measure". As far as time itself goes, I agree. As
far as impressions go, I certainly do not.

> And given this year, it'll still
>probably be close to 100 degrees outside.

True. When does summer start again? Where I live, judging by the
weather you certainly wouldn't think it was mid-July.
--

Ian

Ian Stephenson

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Meghan Jenks (Interplay) <mje...@interplay.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:27:19 +0100, Ian Stephenson
><i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

>>Careful. A programmer's release is different from a release to the
>>public. If it's released to the publisher in September, it really
>>_could_ be the back-end of October before it's filtered through the
>>distributors and onto the retailers' shelves.

>I've only been here at Interplay for a year, but having seen the
>shipping of... geez *think* 30-50 titles in that time I've learned
>that most titles go from mastering to the shelves in less than a
>week's time. In fact it's usually on the shelves before we even get
>our copies here!

Does your Company oversee the production of UK copies, and release them
at the same time as in the US?

What about Fallout? I gather there was a very significant delay. Very
odd, considering we speak the same language.

Could it be that you're being economical with the truth?
--

Ian

Ian Stephenson

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Didier Duchet <washi...@duchet.globalnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>>Ray's definitive statement last spring was "When it rocks".
>
>On June 1st he said:
>"We'll release the game when it's ready, and it looks like that will
>be in the late summer"

Release it for beta testing? Release it to the distributors for
remastering? Or release it in the shops?
--

Ian

SFC's Chris

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Ian Stephenson (i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam) probably wrote:
: Does your Company oversee the production of UK copies, and release them

: at the same time as in the US?

Interplay UK, a division of Interplay, handles our UK and european
releases. We try to ship all versions close to each other, but often
do not. Reasons: 1) translations to foreign languages, 2) duplication
and production takes longer in the UK than in the US, 3) manual must
be translated/reprinted, 4) other changes based on localizations
(violence, drug use, language, whatever). Often times, we developers
would not like to do #4, but we are required by local laws and/or
selling regulations/requirements.

: What about Fallout? I gather there was a very significant delay. Very

: odd, considering we speak the same language.

The UK version of Fallout was done pretty early in the translation
process, as it only required some minor changes (removal of children,
drug/chem changes). However, it had to wait for the other European
versions, specifically French and German, to keep the gray market
sales to a minimum. Not Interplay US's call. We did have a heck
of a problem translating Fallout into foreign languages due to the
size of the text strings, amount of text and the little nuances like
context and slang.

And one can argue that we do not speak the same language... :)

: Could it be that you're being economical with the truth?

Meghan is one of the most honest people at Interplay, and one of
the most honest and trustworthy people I have ever met. In laymans
terms, She's Good People.

She has always called it as she sees it. Always.

pax,

--
Chris Taylor - Game Designer - A biased employee of Interplay Productions
Stonekeep, Fallout, M.A.X.2 and now: Starfleet Command (s...@interplay.com)

Olaf

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Uh, no it isnt.

olaf

Sarah Koto

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
In article <6p5onn$k...@freeside.fc.net>, l...@freeside.fc.net (Lyle J. Mackey) wrote:
+ In article <6p53sf$lmq$1...@nnrp02.primenet.com>,
+ Ben Flieger <a...@primenet.com> wrote:
+ >Dude, I live in Cleveland. The normal weather for late October is
+ >freezing rain/sleet.
+
+ Dude, I live in Austin. The normal weather for DECEMBER is 85 degrees plus.

Dude, I live in Houston and spent alot of time in Austin where my SO went to
school.

Normal weather in December is more like the 60s and 50s, maybe a little lower
or higher on some days. It's 85 in early October.

-- Sarah Koto

"Imagine how thick Japanese people's photo albums must be."
-- George Carlin

Meghan Jenks (Interplay)

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:31:06 +0100, Ian Stephenson
<i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:

>Does your Company oversee the production of UK copies, and release them
>at the same time as in the US?

It depends on the title. If there are no changes to be made to the
game, it is released either simultaneously or very close to the US
release.

>What about Fallout? I gather there was a very significant delay. Very
>odd, considering we speak the same language.

Except that the UK has different standards than the US, and changes
had to be made to the game before it was released there. This delayed
the game. References to drugs were taken out, child NPCs were taken
out; things that are fine for the US are not necessarily fine for the
rest of the world.

>Could it be that you're being economical with the truth?

Nope, could be that I'm talking about North American releases :) TBH
I wasn't even thinking of Europe, because our UK office handles most
of the activity there and I don't have much to do with it.

Lyle J. Mackey

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
In article <3E068062D5013DC5.C12649B9...@library-proxy.airnews.net>,
Olaf <ol...@onr.com> wrote:
>Uh, no it isnt.

Were you here last year?

It's been getting warmer. When I got to Austin some 24 years ago, it was
cooler in December, but last year, it was in the 80's on *Christmas*.

Bill

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
mje...@interplay.com (Meghan Jenks (Interplay)) wrote:

>Ian Stephenson<i...@gsymud.demon.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
>
>>What about Fallout? I gather there was a very significant delay. Very
>>odd, considering we speak the same language.
>
>Except that the UK has different standards than the US, and changes
>had to be made to the game before it was released there. This delayed
>the game. References to drugs were taken out, child NPCs were taken
>out; things that are fine for the US are not necessarily fine for the
>rest of the world.

Just to satisfy my curiosity -- who was it that decided UK citizens were
too mentally fragile to endure the full version of Fallout? If the
decision was made by Interplay I'd have to say it seems a rather strange
stance to take, particularly considering the unsavoury themes you
describe are also present in Grand Theft Auto, an entirely British game.
I bought my copy of Fallout direct from the US, so I was able to play
the game as god intended. I have so far managed to resist the resultant
urge to gouge the eyes out of local children with a combat knife
retrieved from the corpse of a junkie....... although one can never say
never.

Back to reality, do you know if similar cuts will be made to the UK
version of Fallout 2, and should I therefore be placing my order
stateside?

SFC's Chris

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
Bill (Bi...@kavana.u-net.com) probably wrote:
: Just to satisfy my curiosity -- who was it that decided UK citizens were

: too mentally fragile to endure the full version of Fallout? If the
: decision was made by Interplay I'd have to say it seems a rather strange
: stance to take, particularly considering the unsavoury themes you
: describe are also present in Grand Theft Auto, an entirely British game.
: I bought my copy of Fallout direct from the US, so I was able to play
: the game as god intended. I have so far managed to resist the resultant
: urge to gouge the eyes out of local children with a combat knife
: retrieved from the corpse of a junkie....... although one can never say
: never.

It was the Interplay UK office who told us to make the changes.
Who told them? I don't know. You can ask them:

eur...@interplay.com

It might have had something to do with the Dunblane, Scotland
massacre. A topical event.

We developers would prefer not to make any changes, but we
don't want to be cold-hearted or accused of not caring.

: Back to reality, do you know if similar cuts will be made to the UK

: version of Fallout 2, and should I therefore be placing my order
: stateside?

I don't know.

Nick Ali

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
Just a thought, by delaying the UK release to coincided with other
European versions I would have thought grey importing would be
encouraged. Far more likely UK users are gona click on US web sites to
get a native language version in the interim than French games
players jumping on trains to score a non-native tongue copy from the
UK ?
Anyway thanks for the insight to Interplay.

Viva the global market !
Nick

>Interplay UK, a division of Interplay, handles our UK and european
>releases. We try to ship all versions close to each other, but often
>do not. Reasons: 1) translations to foreign languages, 2) duplication
>and production takes longer in the UK than in the US, 3) manual must
>be translated/reprinted, 4) other changes based on localizations
>(violence, drug use, language, whatever). Often times, we developers
>would not like to do #4, but we are required by local laws and/or
>selling regulations/requirements.
>

>: What about Fallout? I gather there was a very significant delay. Very

>: odd, considering we speak the same language.
>

>The UK version of Fallout was done pretty early in the translation
>process, as it only required some minor changes (removal of children,
>drug/chem changes). However, it had to wait for the other European
>versions, specifically French and German, to keep the gray market
>sales to a minimum. Not Interplay US's call. We did have a heck
>of a problem translating Fallout into foreign languages due to the
>size of the text strings, amount of text and the little nuances like
>context and slang.
>
>And one can argue that we do not speak the same language... :)
>
>: Could it be that you're being economical with the truth?
>
>Meghan is one of the most honest people at Interplay, and one of
>the most honest and trustworthy people I have ever met. In laymans
>terms, She's Good People.
>
>She has always called it as she sees it. Always.

ttammi

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
mje...@interplay.com (Meghan Jenks (Interplay)) wrote:

>Except that the UK has different standards than the US, and changes
>had to be made to the game before it was released there. This delayed
>the game. References to drugs were taken out, child NPCs were taken
>out;

Were these child NPCs replaced with adult NPCs you could kill in every
conceivable way, or were they removed completely?

>things that are fine for the US are not necessarily fine for the
>rest of the world.

True, and vice versa. I have noticed myself that in e.g. German they
are very sensitive to violence (and any references to nazis, that's
why quite a few great SSI WW2 strategy games have been banned there in
the past, I think) in games and movies, while in US they seem to be
much more sensitive to sex and bare breasts in movies/games, than in
German.

Mike Simpson

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
On 23 Jul 1998 20:57:26 -0500, l...@freeside.fc.net (Lyle J. Mackey)
wrote:

>In article <3E068062D5013DC5.C12649B9...@library-proxy.airnews.net>,

>Olaf <ol...@onr.com> wrote:
>>Uh, no it isnt.
>
>Were you here last year?
>
>It's been getting warmer. When I got to Austin some 24 years ago, it was
>cooler in December, but last year, it was in the 80's on *Christmas*.

Most of us living in Texas will agree that the winter of 97-98 was a
non-typical cold season. We had mucho rain and very mild temperatures.
According to 'the experts', this was due to our good friend El Niño.

We'll pay for it, certainly. And probably this coming winter, with
dry, cold conditions.

And now, back on topic....

So, when is the Baldur's Gate release date again? :)

Mike Simpson
-Can you say Umberto Eco? It's less filling.
-ICQ #543245
-Abulafia[D!] for all things Quake
-'98 Ibis Alibi

ttammi

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
ni...@dontspamme.voiceanddata.com (Nick Ali) wrote:

>Just a thought, by delaying the UK release to coincided with other
>European versions I would have thought grey importing would be
>encouraged.

It was, at least here in Finland the shops were importing US Fallout
as soon as it came out. When I bought Fallout some time ago, I was
wondering why there were two kinds of Fallout boxes. The other ones
were apparently the imported US version, but I went to buy the 1.2
(UK) version because they were selling it cheaper in one shop.

Oh well, although I would have preferred the uncensored version,
I guess I can live without shooting little children and hearing about
drugs in the game. I hope they didn't change the gameplay or plot in
anyway with that censoring.

As I Die

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
In article <35bd5d56...@news.netlife.fi>, tta...@netlife.fi says...

> Oh well, although I would have preferred the uncensored version,
> I guess I can live without shooting little children and hearing about
> drugs in the game. I hope they didn't change the gameplay or plot in
> anyway with that censoring.

That's awful! I loved how Ian would thoughtlessly help me slaughter every
child, bum, hooker, farmer, etc, etc in sight after I'd blow out some
little kid's entire midsection. Those fatalities were great. >:)

Very cartoonish, though. I think it's sad that they felt a need to remove
them from the game, because IMHO they added something to the whole combat
thing. Something a little sick, yeah, but definately something...

Didier Duchet

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:31:59 GMT, ana...@netcom.com (SFC's Chris)
wrote:

> However, it had to wait for the other European
>versions, specifically French and German, to keep the gray market
>sales to a minimum.

Under the terms of articles 85 / 86 of current EC Legislation, what
you call "gray market" is in fact encouraged within the EU.

Trying to "keep the gray market sales to a minimum" is illegal and
makes you liable to a fine equal to 10% of your _global_ turnover.

If you need more details, please email for advice (£ 245 per hour +
VAT)

Christoph Nahr

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:52:06 GMT, tta...@netlife.fi (ttammi) wrote:

>True, and vice versa. I have noticed myself that in e.g. German they
>are very sensitive to violence (and any references to nazis, that's
>why quite a few great SSI WW2 strategy games have been banned there in
>the past, I think) in games and movies, while in US they seem to be
>much more sensitive to sex and bare breasts in movies/games, than in
>German.

While this is true in general, not a single SSI WW2 strategy game has
ever been banned in Germany. Nor any other strategy game I'm aware
of. WW2 or not, SSI or not.

SSI had problems with the BPjS concerning the original Panzer General
(which would have prevented them from selling the game to kids) but
they rewrote the manual (apparently too Nazi-friendly and militaristic
in the eyes of the BPjS) and then it was OK.
--
Chris Nahr (cn...@hal.net, replace hal with ibm to reply by e-mail)
MM6 Quick Reference at http://home.t-online.de/home/Christoph.Nahr

Jason Workman

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98

Jesse Ciener wrote in message ...

>Sean T Barrett wrote in message ...
>

>>Of course, a retail store prefers to get customers to come
>>into their store sooner rather than later in the hopes that
>>those customers will buy something else even if the product
>>they were hoping for isn't in yet.
>>
>>At least, that's the spin I could put on this if I wanted to
>>be extremely cynical. Maybe it *really* *is* their best guess.
>>But then, maybe those last two sentences should be applied
>>to your post as well.
>>
>>Sean
>
>Yes, I would agree with this in most cases but the EB date is later than
the
>Bioware date, so nobody looking for Baldur's Gate only will be coming into
>the store looking for it sooner. I have worked for EB for 7 years and 99%
>of the time a title on our release list is later rather than earlier than
>its listed date (and if earlier typically only a couple of days).

>Jesse

Sorry, but EB's release dates are always wrong. The date list gets updated 4
or 5 times before the release date gets even close. So don't tell us Bioware
makes unrealistic release dates to generate hype, while EB gives the
customer a simple guess to get them to come back every other week. My proof
is in your own words...99% of the time a title on our release list is later
rather than earlier. I understand your store loyalty but don't call the
kettle black if you're the pot.

Bioware has said looks like September. We would be kidding ourselves if we
didn't expect late September. After that what's a few more weeks.

Marc Baime

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
EB's release dates are often wrong. But when they are later than the dates
people believe a game is coming out they are almost always correct that the
game will be later (I can't think of even one example where that wasn't the
case though it may have ocurred once or twice). EB gets their updates from
the game distributors who get their information from the marketing arms of
the game companies. If EB says October 28 you can almost bank on it being
then or later....not earlier.

Regards...Marc Baime

Jason Workman wrote in message

>Sorry, but EB's release dates are always wrong. The date list gets updated
4
>or 5 times before the release date gets even close.

Olaf

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
Well, we all agree that release dates are always initially wrong, but the
point is, I have NEVER seen them have a _late_ release date. Meaning the
game is released before the last date they publish on their site.

olaf

Jason Workman wrote in message <6pdgpn$o0c$1...@supernews.com>...

>Sorry, but EB's release dates are always wrong. The date list gets updated
4

Jason Workman

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
I wasn't arguing about the release date. I didn't like the fact that someone
accused Bioware of telling us the wrong date to gain attention, while they
tuted EB's horn about release dates. Their dates suck. What purpose do they
serve when they are always wrong. You admit it yourself.

>EB's release dates are often wrong.

"If EB says October 28 you can almost bank on it being then or later....not
earlier."

They show their customers these dates to get them back in the store every
two weeks.

Jason

Jesse Ciener

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Well,

The easiest response I can say to this is that the Ebworld website is
updated practically every weekday and that if someone is looking for a
specific title they can check this site daily - instead of coming into the
store every two weeks. Also, the dates EB gets are through Distributors and
are just as good or better than the dates most magazines get. I can't tell
you the number of people that get upset at the store personnel when a date
slips 2 months, when EB has absolutely nothing to do with setting the date.
If a title slips on the EB release list, it is because the distributor has
stated that the date has slipped - EB does not give early dates and then
change them to generate business - the release dates are from distributors
who get the info from whatever their sources are - probably someone at the
publisher themselves. An example of this is the date for Zelda 64 for
Nintendo. The first official date EB had on their site is 11/24/98 and I can
probably tell you this will slip but most people are upset that it is so far
away. If you think EB puts early dates in to generate business and then
pushes them back, don't you think the date would be like 8/1 and then slip
to 9/1 and so on?? No, this is the date from distributors and if the date
slips, it is because problems are being had with the game itself or the
distribution of the game. Game companies are notorious for delays in
software and blaming the retailer for problems with the dates they provide
is not the answer. Call the game company themselves and complain to them -
not that this will accomplish anything.

The point I was trying to make in my original post last week is that I
believe the EB date to be as accurate as the Bioware date for this title as
Bioware has more to gain with this particular title if the date is too early
rather than too late - it generates more preorders everywhere (not just at
EB).

Jesse Ciener

Chris Woods

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Didier Duchet wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:31:59 GMT, ana...@netcom.com (SFC's Chris)
> wrote:
>
> > However, it had to wait for the other European
> >versions, specifically French and German, to keep the gray market
> >sales to a minimum.
>
> Under the terms of articles 85 / 86 of current EC Legislation, what
> you call "gray market" is in fact encouraged within the EU.
>
> Trying to "keep the gray market sales to a minimum" is illegal and
> makes you liable to a fine equal to 10% of your _global_ turnover.

This doesn't really qualify. Interplay can hold off release in one
European Country until all language versions are done if they wish or
not, and they can do so for whatever reason they choose be it reducing
Greay Market sale or because the company VP's left toe aches.

Articles 85/86 are similar (not wholly) to US Anti-Trust laws in that
they involve anti-competitive agreements. Interplay is not leveraging
or using Fallout in any way to harm compition directly, they did not
make treatise with certain retailers to be the 'sole carriers' of
Fallout, etc etc etc

While the EC can be leveraged in certain ways if Interplay took extreme
measures to stop Greay Market sales (ie- Terms with vendors not to
sell/ship out of state, not to allow foreign copies in the stores, etc.)
they did no such thing. Just because they wanted to keep down a network
of sales across Borders does not mean they have immediatly violated the
EC Treaty.

Chris Woods whos never heard of a country specific law with the power to
affect global income.

Paulius Stepanas

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
In article <anarchyE...@netcom.com>, ana...@netcom.com (SFC's Chris) writes:
>Bill (Bi...@kavana.u-net.com) probably wrote:
>: Just to satisfy my curiosity -- who was it that decided UK citizens were
>: too mentally fragile to endure the full version of Fallout?
>
> It was the Interplay UK office who told us to make the changes.
>Who told them? I don't know.
>
> It might have had something to do with the Dunblane, Scotland
>massacre. A topical event.
>
> We developers would prefer not to make any changes, but we
>don't want to be cold-hearted or accused of not caring.

I think the producers of Duke Nukem 3D had the right idea:

For some inexplicable reason, the Australian version of Duke Nukem 3D
had to be modified to remove references to nudity (what's the ratings
system for, I ask). The solution, for those with Internet access, was
to download a patch that returned everything back to the original US
version.

I'm hoping that if the Australian release of Baldur's Gate gets
censored, then Interplay/Bioware will supply a similar patch for
download that removes the censorship.

Paulius
--

~|~ It's a mistake trying to cheer up camels. ~|~ Paulius G Stepanas

~|~ Maintainer of The Simpsons Australian Broadcast Info website: ~|~
~|~ http://simpsons.sofcom.com ~|~