who has the most games in their collection?!

freestone

Feb 8, 2001, 10:11:11 AM2/8/01
hello everyone.

I was sorta apologizing to someone for my most recent purchase of a
Game, and to myself as well...as i have now about 20 unplayed games
on my shelf, in my cupboards, in my closet....all awaiting Play, some
day!
I justify my slight obsessiveness as many of these games are "old" and
bargin bin-y....when they sell, i may never see them again!
thus i have the older games awaiting my someday play.
---Arena...Dungeon master...redguard...Interplay's compilations of old
rpgs...Albion...alone in the dark...police quest...etc...etc...

the guy that i am aquainted with at the local EB, told me, after i told
him what i say above...."you only have 20 games?! Why I know a customer
with THOUSANDS of games...from several systems and consoles"!

!!!!
thousands!
that to me is awesome...why i know that Playstation alone has over 1500
to 2000 games. if you count the Commodore and the older computer
systems...there are thousands and thousands yet more that one could
collect.

so people....
I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
collections...played or unplayed...??

do not count how many games have you played and then sold...just count
the number that are with you in your home....right now.

freestone

--
Freestone Wilson
frees...@yahoo.com

AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU LAUGH!

---seen on a road overpass...Rochester, ny 1970

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Revok

Feb 8, 2001, 10:41:13 AM2/8/01
Heh - I suffer from the 'might be last chance to buy it' syndrome as well.
I also suffer from the 'this game is temporarily reduced so I'll buy it save
myself money in the long run' syndrome.

My games collection: -

PC Games - about 250 (of which 50% were bought new - i.e. full price).
Commodore 64 games - about 300 (a lot bought at boot fares etc.)
Playstation and Nintendo games - about 30
Amiga - about 30

Add to that the various emulated old school arcade games (e.g. Mame etc.) -
another 300 odd (I think - might not have them now).

Not quite thousands - but not that bad.

Note I have completed about 5% of the above.

Rob

"freestone" <free...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Knight37

Feb 8, 2001, 11:19:39 AM2/8/01
freestone <free...@my-deja.com> babbled something about:

>so people....
>I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
>collections...played or unplayed...??
>
>do not count how many games have you played and then sold...just count
>the number that are with you in your home....right now.

I don't think I'm going to be the "winner" of this inquiry, but I'm
probably a contender.

These are approximate numbers:

800 PC games (I've been collecting PC games since 1985)
75 Playstation games
100 NES games
50 SNES games
25 N64 Games
50 Sega Genesis
6 Sega CD games
15 Saturn games
20 Dreamcast games
---
1141

I have a few miscellaneous other sytems but it's pretty insigificant.

A bunch of my PC games are only on floppy disks or 3.5" disks, and quite
frankly many of them probably don't work anymore. I have a ton of PC game
boxes but I'm getting rid of most of them. Just don't have the space to
collect boxes anymore. I'll still collect boxes for RPG titles, though,
since those are truely my favorite genre.

--

Knight37

"Can I play with madness?
The prophet stared at his crystal ball.
Can I play with madness?
There's no vision there at all!"
-- Iron Maiden

Knight37

Feb 8, 2001, 11:32:09 AM2/8/01
"Revok" <robert...@capgemini.co.uk> babbled something about:

>Heh - I suffer from the 'might be last chance to buy it' syndrome as
>well. I also suffer from the 'this game is temporarily reduced so I'll
>buy it save myself money in the long run' syndrome.

Guilty as charged, on both counts. ;)

>PC Games - about 250 (of which 50% were bought new - i.e. full price).

Merely 10-15% of my collection was paid full price. A significant portion
of my collection was built from used game purchases (maybe 25%). I try to
save where I can. I'd say at least 40% of my collection is from "bargain
bin" price ranges. Actually a significant number of mine were gifts also
(maybe 10%).

>Add to that the various emulated old school arcade games (e.g. Mame
>etc.) - another 300 odd (I think - might not have them now).

Well shit, I wasn't counting emulator stuff. I was only counting games I
legally own. I do have quite a bit of emulator stuff, but frankly I prefer
to play in the original format in most cases. Ie, I'd rather go find the
old SNES cart and play it on my TV than grab a ROM. Sometimes it's not
feasible, though. I also have a fair bit of abandonware I did not count.
When possible if I find a piece of abandonware that I really like, I try to
find a used copy of it somewhere. This is not always feasible. It used to
be a lot easier because I had a local shop that dealt with old used games,
but it went out of business.

I also did not count shareware titles that I have not registered or
freeware titles. For example, I have a pretty large collection of
"interactive fiction" text adventures that I didn't include.

>Not quite thousands - but not that bad.

Respectable. :)

>Note I have completed about 5% of the above.

I don't even want to think about the number of games I still have to
finish. ;)

Knight37

FredQ

Feb 8, 2001, 12:46:16 PM2/8/01
>I'll still collect boxes for RPG titles, though,
> since those are truely my favorite genre.

I used to do this but I stopped about a year ago. The boxes just are not as
interesting as they once were. I still have about 25 RPG titles still in
boxes. Most of the Ulimas, a few wizadry, Magic Candle 2&3. I had a boxed
copy of Drakkhan but I do not know what happened to it.

FQ

Wax

Feb 8, 2001, 1:37:23 PM2/8/01
"freestone" <free...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

[SNIP]

> so people....
> I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
> collections...played or unplayed...??
>
> do not count how many games have you played and then sold...just count
> the number that are with you in your home....right now.
>
> freestone

If you're just talking games, I have 110 games on CD and about 25 games on
floppy disk from years ago for the PC. I have 11 games for the Sega Genesis
which mainly consists of hockey. People I know comment that I have a large
collection of software, but I should direct them to this thread because I
see my collection has been dwarfed. :)

I'd say a good 80% of my collection of PC games came from the bargain bin.
I live in Canada, so when I say "bargain bin", I'm talking games that cost
between $5 and $25 Canada (although most hover in the $15 to $20 range). I
very rarely have paid "full price" for a game in the last 3 years. None of
my Sega Genesis games cost more than $15 and most were $3 and $5 (all used).

Most of the games I'm interested in today are either racing or pinball. I
have approximately 30 racing games and 25 pinball games (many of those
pinball games have multiple tables).

It is necessary for me to have two computers to maintain compatibility with
older and newer software. I still play a lot of the older pinball games
(along with other games) but I found a second machine was necessary because
compatibility has become harder and harder to achieve as I continue to
upgrade and improve my main computer. The price of a second computer to
play those old titles doesn't require much of an investment. My second
machine is running Windows 95 and has a 36X CD-ROM drive, Sound Blaster 16,
16 megabytes of memory and a 6.4 gigabyte hard drive. The MOSLO utility is
most helpful in some cases. I have all of my DOS-level drivers for that
machine including mouse, sound and CD-ROM, so I'm not missing out on
anything.

I find it's a blast to visit some of the old games here and there.

Jarno Kaarinen

Feb 8, 2001, 1:54:17 PM2/8/01
"Revok" <robert...@capgemini.co.uk> wrote:

>Heh - I suffer from the 'might be last chance to buy it' syndrome as well.

Me too, and mostly because I've (and many others) have learned the
hard way that this is a real threat. For example now I see quite a few
people asking after games like Grim Fandango (shouldn't be hard to
find second hand though) and the original release of Outlaws (as the
re-release has this bug which shows only part of the intro movie).

I think I used more like a year trying to find games like Dark Earth,
The Last Express, Realms of Haunting, Toonstruck and several other
games. Finally I got them.

Knight37

Feb 8, 2001, 4:22:54 PM2/8/01
Jarno Kaarinen <ja...@remotel.com> babbled something about:

Try getting The Neverhood. ;)

You are correct, it is a very real threat that some games just do not have
a very long shelf life. The first game I experienced this with and suffered
greatly (paying excessive money for a used copy) was with the Wing
Commander Kilrathi Saga.

--

Knight37

"You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use the key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination"
-- Rush "The Twilight Zone"

JP

Feb 8, 2001, 6:48:58 PM2/8/01

"freestone" <free...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> so people....
> I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
> collections...played or unplayed...??

I only have about 80 for the PC, and a similar number for various consoles.
I did have a few hundred for the Spectrum though. Not really a huge
collection, but not too bad.

--
JP

Ken Robertson

Feb 8, 2001, 10:32:44 PM2/8/01
The last time I did an inventory was 10/24/97, according to the date on my
spreadsheet file, and I had 275 games. So it's well over 300 by now. All
PC games, no console games.

--
Ken
------

Geoff Black

Feb 8, 2001, 10:36:24 PM2/8/01

freestone <free...@my-deja.com> wrote

> so people....
> I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
> collections...played or unplayed...??
>
> do not count how many games have you played and then sold...just count
> the number that are with you in your home....right now.

I have no real idea how many games I've got. There's a filing cabinet (4
drawer) full (newer games), and multiple boxes of them (older games going
back to things like Earl Weaver Baseball) in a closet in my computer room.
I've never sold a game that I bought and kept. A couple of years ago I
finally gave away my C64 with all the games (a couple boxes full) to a
friend's kid. Otherwise I occasionally lend out a game or two, but rarely
if ever part with one. Since I've been gaming on the PC platform since 1988
I'd figure that I've got well over 400 games around - but there is no way
I've got 1000, even counting multi game CD-packs etc. That would be just
about 7 games a month for 12 years. I don't think I'm quite that obsessed -
but my wife might argue differently.

Geoffrey

freshie

Feb 8, 2001, 10:54:12 PM2/8/01
On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:11:11 GMT, freestone <free...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> hello everyone.
>
>I was sorta apologizing to someone for my most recent purchase of a
>Game, and to myself as well...as i have now about 20 unplayed games
>on my shelf, in my cupboards, in my closet....all awaiting Play, some
>day!

I suffer from this.

It's usually just compulsive buying. I read something in previews for
monthes and monthes, and I think it's gonna be great and I get it
home, and I play for 2 hours, then go back to the main game I'm
working on at the moment.

JUst look up at my collection of CD's, all these have been played for
2 hours or less, Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack, Europe in Flames, Deus
Ex, Master of Orion II, Imperium Galactium, Darkstone, and Earth 2150.

Colonization and Civ II Haven'
t even been unboxed or installed.

got some time in on The Sims, and Fallout 2.

Mostly played Icewind Dale, BG2, Nox, Dungeon Keeper 2, Unreal
Tournament.

These are all games I bought since getting my new computer last june.

I don't even want to start in on my playstation or dreamcast. The
amount of barely touched titles eclipses my PC.

Jarno Kaarinen

Feb 9, 2001, 3:37:07 AM2/9/01
knig...@gamespotmail.com (Knight37) wrote:

>Jarno Kaarinen <ja...@remotel.com> babbled something about:

>>I think I used more like a year trying to find games like Dark Earth,
>>The Last Express, Realms of Haunting, Toonstruck and several other
>>games. Finally I got them.
>
>Try getting The Neverhood. ;)

Funny you should mention it, because Neverhood was one of the games I
was looking for eagerly, and it was about the only one I could not
find anywhere. I've already given up trying to get it. Oh yeah and
I've had problems finding some of the Tex Murphy adventures too.

Edward Cowling 'Games - Addict'

Feb 9, 2001, 3:37:10 AM2/9/01
In article <95ucu6$pj7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, freestone <freestone@my-
deja.com> writes

>collections...played or unplayed...??
>
>do not count how many games have you played and then sold...just count
>the number that are with you in your home....right now.

78 all neatly stacked in their boxes..........

--
Edward Cowling 'Games - Addict'

don

Feb 9, 2001, 7:35:45 AM2/9/01
After seeing some of the responses, I know I don't have anywhere near
the most games, but I may hold the record for Most Unplayed Games since
I've got well over 100 that I haven't played yet and probably another
100 which I started (or at least looked at) and haven't finished.

don

Feb 9, 2001, 7:41:57 AM2/9/01

I just missed getting Last Express, ROTH, and Toonstruck in the stores.
Our local stores don't usually mark them down. They just remove them
from the shelves and return them. I did manage to get all 3 games
through an online retailer, but it took about 4 months to get one of
them.

The Neverhood is frequently sold on eBay, but it brings more money than
the game sold for originally. I've seen it sell for over $70.00, and
from what I've read, I don't think it's worth that much.

freestone

Feb 9, 2001, 8:53:14 AM2/9/01
In article <95ucu6$pj7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

freestone <free...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> hello everyone.
>
> I was sorta apologizing to someone for my most recent purchase of a
> Game, and to myself as well...as i have now about 20 unplayed games
> on my shelf, in my cupboards, in my closet....all awaiting Play, some
> day!

yes everyone!

the 14 responses, so far, lead me to feel that i Have Just begun to
collect! Amazing.....

yes games are like the book publishing business, in some respects, i
guess. there are titles that come out and then when they get sold off
of the shelf, they are Gone For Good! then there are the games that
just plain are over-hyped and are no durn good and they are constantly
advertised and constantly are on the shelf. thus if i see a old classic
game in the bargin bin i just *must* buy it as when it sells from that
bin, i may never never see it again!

I look forward to the Annual tallahassee democrat's sponsered 400
table/people yard sale at the tallahasse mall's parking lot; betcha
there are games there that are OLD!

I see that there is a site...
www.theunderdogs.org
they archieve articles about older games for the PC and the commodore
with DOWNLOADS of complete games and links to sale sites that carry
them, if these games are not abandonware...
many of these older games are under 1 meg, so that i can download them.
of COURSE i downloaded a bunch...heaven or hell help me when i will try
to actually install them!! i might get one out of four to actually
install and to play!! some of them really DO go back to dos 3 and
Commodore days...moslow the moslow, i guess!

Knight37

Feb 9, 2001, 10:01:46 AM2/9/01
don <d...@no.spam> babbled something about:

I probably hold the record for number started and not finished. Of course,
depends on how you define "finished." The way I look at it, it's my time,
and if I'm not having fun with a game anymore, I'm "finished" with it.

--

Knight37

Knight: "Are all men in the future as arrogant as you?"
Ash: "No. Just me, baby."
-- "Army of Darkness"

Knight37

Feb 9, 2001, 10:00:07 AM2/9/01
don <d...@no.spam> babbled something about:

>The Neverhood is frequently sold on eBay, but it brings more money than

>the game sold for originally. I've seen it sell for over $70.00, and
>from what I've read, I don't think it's worth that much.

It is a unique gaming experience. But it's probably not worth $70. It's
definitely a good game, though.

Knight37

Knight37

Feb 9, 2001, 10:21:43 AM2/9/01
freestone <free...@my-deja.com> babbled something about:

>the 14 responses, so far, lead me to feel that i Have Just begun to
>collect! Amazing.....

Heh. Yeah, it can be addictive. I really figured someone like Falsadoom or
Bunboy would come into this thread with a lot higher figure than mine.
Maybe they don't keep their games? I know for a fact that Falsadoom PLAYS
more games than I do, but then I am not sure WHEN he started into the
hobby. And I've seen posts from Bunboy talking about nearly every new title
that comes out like he has firsthand experience, so I can only assume he
dumps a ton of cash on gaming. ;P

In hindsight, my suggestion to a newbie game collector would be:

Keep boxes of your favorites. Someday those will be classics. Do not bother
keeping boxes that aren't original release boxes, the "reprints" are never
worth as much as the "first printing".

Concentrate your collection on something specific if you need to save
money. It will be more impressive to have all games from a specific
developer, for example, than a scattering of games from all over but
nothing complete (IMHO). For example, I'm now modifying my collection
slowly to concentrate on a few core genres of games that I love:
FPS, Strategic, and most importantly, RPG. Some of my other stuff I will
keep but a lot of it I will probably eventually have to get rid of.

Lastly, and most importantly... GET OUT NOW!!! Save yourself and your
pocketbook!! This is a warning! :)

>yes games are like the book publishing business, in some respects, i
>guess. there are titles that come out and then when they get sold off
>of the shelf, they are Gone For Good! then there are the games that
>just plain are over-hyped and are no durn good and they are constantly
>advertised and constantly are on the shelf. thus if i see a old classic
>game in the bargin bin i just *must* buy it as when it sells from that
>bin, i may never never see it again!

It's a real problem. Shelf space is limited so only the games that SELL the
BEST keep it, NOT necessarily the BEST games...

Places like www.gametz.com are a good source of finding things your
missing. And if you have money to burn, ebay can be a resource. The
csipg.marketplace newsgroup isn't a bad source either.

>I look forward to the Annual tallahassee democrat's sponsered 400
>table/people yard sale at the tallahasse mall's parking lot; betcha
>there are games there that are OLD!

Sounds good. Sometimes you can find stuff in garage sales and such.

>I see that there is a site...
>www.theunderdogs.org
>they archieve articles about older games for the PC and the commodore
>with DOWNLOADS of complete games and links to sale sites that carry
>them, if these games are not abandonware...

Yes, this is one of my favorite web sites on the net. It provides a very
needed service to the gaming community - the archiving of old games,
many times complete with mini reviews, manuals, and screen shots. I highly
recommend it to anyone who likes retro-gaming.

--

Knight37

Witch: "You once thought I was beautiful."
Ash: "You go REAL ugly, baby."
-- "Army of Darkness"

Mindless Jargon

Feb 9, 2001, 11:56:12 AM2/9/01
I bough Grim Fandago from the "CD Only" bargain rack in Best Buy. $9.99 us.
Woah!!! Great price for a great game.

I also bought Master of Magic for $10.00 in a bargain bin. I played it for
three months. Great game!!!

The lesson here is: if it's a fun game when it's published, three years
later, it will still be a fun game.

Douglas

"Jarno Kaarinen" <ja...@remotel.com> wrote in message

crp...@my-deja.com

Feb 9, 2001, 12:13:32 PM2/9/01
Ouch! This is a nasty thread :) I've been rummaging around in my
basement looking at what I still own. I have about 53 Atari 2600 games
that I can find, 27 games for the Atari 5200, which is my all-time
favorite console. Moving to the Nintendo netted another 14 games.
I have 17 for the Super Nintendo, and 36 for the Playstation. When we
move to computer systems it gets much tougher. The C64 could store
several games on one 5 1/4 disk. I have 417 disks and 39 cartridges.
For the sake of my sanity, I'm going to assume one game on each. Games
like Ultima IV came on several, whereas games like Dino Eggs, Mr. Do!,
O'Reilly's Mine, Miner 2049er, all came on one. For the PC, I burned
all my older games onto CD-Roms. It looks like I have 417 games from
retailers and maybe 65 that are registered shareware. I'm not even
going to attempt to count any of the emulator stuff. Here's a couple of
interesting facts: I have Mr Do!, my favorite arcade game, a total of
11 times on the different systems. My oldest game that I consider to be
a crpg is Wizard's Crown from SSI. This is the oldest game, I own a
manual to. I have Ultima I and Wizardry I, but both are from later
compilations. My total ends up being 1085 if I added right!

crpgnut-who just found out how much of a nut I am :)

Knight37

Feb 9, 2001, 1:31:17 PM2/9/01
crp...@my-deja.com babbled something about:

>My oldest game that I consider to be
>a crpg is Wizard's Crown from SSI. This is the oldest game, I own a
>manual to. I have Ultima I and Wizardry I, but both are from later
>compilations. My total ends up being 1085 if I added right!

Awesome!

My oldest CRPG game that I still have complete with box an manual is
Wizardry. Bought it when I first got my PCjr (my first PC), it was one of
the first games I ever bought. I'd played games prior to this, but only on
other people's computers. ;P

>crpgnut-who just found out how much of a nut I am :)

I didn't ever own a C64, though I do remember playing on them at friends
houses. T a l k a b o u t a s l o w d i s k d r i v e . ;P The first
time I played Ultima was on a C64 at a friends. We got the game and spent
like an entire weekend with very little sleep playing the crap out of it
and beating it. ;)

--

Knight37

"I had great expectation on this group. But you all
f_cking people have only big mouse."
-- Sokwoo Lee, csipg.strategic

Livid Dragon (see .sig for valid email)

Feb 9, 2001, 3:11:11 PM2/9/01
In article <95ucu6$pj7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, freestone wrote:
>so people....
>I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
>collections...played or unplayed...??

Egads. I'll have to go dig the boxes of Apple 2 and C-64 stuff out of
storage - original boxes, manuals, and disks. On second though, I won't
:)

don

Feb 9, 2001, 6:56:05 PM2/9/01

Knight37 wrote:

> I probably hold the record for number started and not finished. Of course,
> depends on how you define "finished." The way I look at it, it's my time,
> and if I'm not having fun with a game anymore, I'm "finished" with it.

Thanks for making me laugh! Of course, I mean finished in the sense of
playing the whole game from beginning to end. I've installed many just
to see what they were about and filed them away for playing later when I
have more time. I'll usually play an action game which doesn't take any
time to learn or an adventure which I know will be short, but I've
mostly put off RPG's and strategy games which I think will take a long
time to learn or too much time to play.

That's why I have tons of RPG's which I've never played. I look at them
and think, "This game is going to take me a year to complete with only
an hour here and there to play it." In fact, I'm almost embarrassed to
admit that the only RPG I've finished in a long time is Hexplore because
it was so easy. I was going to play Vampire next, but my video card
can't handle it. I've got a Voodoo card waiting to be installed, so
I'll probably play it next.

Ken Rice

Feb 9, 2001, 8:13:57 PM2/9/01
"freestone" <free...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> so people....
> I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
> collections...played or unplayed...??

I have 700 PC games, and have finished 94 of them. This includes all types of
games. For role playing games, I have 222 and have finsihed 51.

I also have 37 Nintendo and 16 Gameboy games.

http://www.erols.com/kennrice = Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice = Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2,
= Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire &
= Crusaders of Dark Savant.
http://members.xoom.com/CWRTDC = Civil War Round Table of DC

Punk Kid

Feb 9, 2001, 9:30:04 PM2/9/01
I dunno, The Neverhood is a kickass game. It may be worth $70 bucks, i
mean, I havent been able to let myself sell it for that much, and I might
have been willing to buy it for that much, but its hard to tell since i
already own it and i got it for free and have no intention of buying
another copy.

Geoff Black

Feb 9, 2001, 11:43:14 PM2/9/01

Knight37 <knig...@gamespotmail.com> wrote

> I didn't ever own a C64, though I do remember playing on them at friends
> houses. T a l k a b o u t a s l o w d i s k d r i v e .

You ain't kidding. I remember a hockey game that I had for the C64 that
used to lock up all the time. The game was addictive enough to want to keep
playing - but the loads were abysmal. And there was no such thing as
downloading a patch. The move from that to a 286 with an actual 20 meg hard
drive was like going from a bicycle to a Cadillac. I can still remember
being astounded by they amazingly quick loads. Yippee - I guess that all
this just means I'm getting old.

Geoffrey

don

Feb 10, 2001, 7:32:11 AM2/10/01

Draconian Dragon wrote:

> I have had 300+ Commodore 64 games, 500+Amiga games 50 Sega and at
> last count 300 or so PC games. I played all the RPG on 64, Amiga,
> Sega and most on the PC.

I have to wonder why you have so many RPG's for so many different
platforms, but you don't mention Playstation or Nintendo games. Is it
because you don't care for the PSX and Nintendo RPG's or because you
didn't have the time, the money, or some other reason to get into them?

Ziroc

Feb 11, 2001, 1:49:11 AM2/11/01
Since 1987, I have 143 games/utils. (and most every box as well) collecting
dust farms. LOL! I'm worried that my shelf in the closet is going to
collapse.

I decided to keep them all, since by the time I did want to sell them, they
weren't worth selling. (i.e. Zorks,Doom, Descent 1,2,3, Most all Sierra
games, all Goldbox games, Stronghold, oh geez, I better stop)

--
Dan Huling
The Great Escape Studios

The Ironworks CRPG Gaming Magazine
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/

freestone wrote in message <95ucu6$pj7$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

> hello everyone.
>
>I was sorta apologizing to someone for my most recent purchase of a
>Game, and to myself as well...as i have now about 20 unplayed games
>on my shelf, in my cupboards, in my closet....all awaiting Play, some
>day!

>I justify my slight obsessiveness as many of these games are "old" and
>bargin bin-y....when they sell, i may never see them again!
>thus i have the older games awaiting my someday play.
>---Arena...Dungeon master...redguard...Interplay's compilations of old
>rpgs...Albion...alone in the dark...police quest...etc...etc...
>
>the guy that i am aquainted with at the local EB, told me, after i told
>him what i say above...."you only have 20 games?! Why I know a customer
>with THOUSANDS of games...from several systems and consoles"!
>
>!!!!
>thousands!
>that to me is awesome...why i know that Playstation alone has over 1500
>to 2000 games. if you count the Commodore and the older computer
>systems...there are thousands and thousands yet more that one could
>collect.

>so people....
>I ask here....who has the MOST games in storage, in their
>collections...played or unplayed...??
>

>do not count how many games have you played and then sold...just count
>the number that are with you in your home....right now.
>

>freestone
>

>--

>Freestone Wilson
>frees...@yahoo.com
>
>AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU LAUGH!
>
>---seen on a road overpass...Rochester, ny 1970

mtKafka

Feb 12, 2001, 2:32:39 AM2/12/01
you know you have too many games when you throw away the boxes but STILL
have stacks of jewelcases lying around. . .at least in my case.

i counted all my games a year ago came to arnd 400. . . since then i got a
Dreamcast with about 20 games and countless pc games.. . . so im about 500
id guess. . . aye, and almost all of them were full price!

etc

Knight37

Feb 12, 2001, 11:45:11 AM2/12/01
Punk Kid <punk...@optonline.net> babbled something about:

>I dunno, The Neverhood is a kickass game. It may be worth $70 bucks, i
>mean, I havent been able to let myself sell it for that much, and I might
>have been willing to buy it for that much, but its hard to tell since i
>already own it and i got it for free and have no intention of buying
>another copy.

Well you have a point there.

I am unwilling to let my copy go at $70 merely to keep the opportunity of
replaying it again someday. Then again, I'm an idiot who collects computer
games. :)

--

Knight37

"I see a red door and I want it painted black,
no colours anymore I want them to turn black."
-- The Rolling Stones, "Paint It Black"

Stephen Lee

Feb 14, 2001, 2:29:07 AM2/14/01
In article <Xns90435890Cknig...@209.155.56.81>,

Knight37 <knig...@gamespotmail.com> wrote:
>freestone <free...@my-deja.com> babbled something about:
>
>>the 14 responses, so far, lead me to feel that i Have Just begun to
>>collect! Amazing.....
>
>Heh. Yeah, it can be addictive. I really figured someone like Falsadoom or
>Bunboy would come into this thread with a lot higher figure than mine.

I don't post often here, partly since I don't have time, and partly since I
*rarely* play recent RPG's (the only genre I play the latest and greatest
in is strategy), but you do know who I am (hey ... did you ever get back to
me about those boxes you have?)

I'm sort of surprised you only have about 800. I concentrate almost
exclusively on IBM games (I have about five for other systems that I'm
holding for parts -- these are things like Autoduel and Neuromancer that
have parts that are likely to go missing and are hard to get for IBM). At
this point I'm past 1000, easily. (Of these, I figure I've only played
about half.) I have not counted lately, mostly because that would be such a
*monumental* task given the state my collection is in.

>Maybe they don't keep their games? I know for a fact that Falsadoom PLAYS
>more games than I do, but then I am not sure WHEN he started into the
>hobby. And I've seen posts from Bunboy talking about nearly every new title
>that comes out like he has firsthand experience, so I can only assume he
>dumps a ton of cash on gaming. ;P

A lot of people do this. There are hordes on people on eBay who try to move
50+ recent games at once. I can't imagine paying retail for a computer game
that's just come out, except for a handful of strategy games that I like, or
sometimes a genuine collector's edition; in most cases, I get used or
bargain-bin, like you. $40+ is something that I normally would only pay for
a rare or collectible item.

>In hindsight, my suggestion to a newbie game collector would be:
>
>Keep boxes of your favorites. Someday those will be classics. Do not bother
>keeping boxes that aren't original release boxes, the "reprints" are never
>worth as much as the "first printing".

There are a few exceptions. Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga is the big one,
being worth more than all three original packages complete with expansion
packs put together, and probably even if the WC3 is the deluxe edition.
(Really, folks, it's not *that* hard to get WC1 and 2 to play on a modern
computer, certainly not $200-250 worth of hard. Stop driving up prices for
collectors like me!) The Space Quest and Quest for Glory collections both
now cost more than it costs to get complete copies of all the original games
(kind of borderline for SQ, but definitely true for QfG). Um ... that's all
I can think of.

>Concentrate your collection on something specific if you need to save
>money. It will be more impressive to have all games from a specific
>developer, for example, than a scattering of games from all over but
>nothing complete (IMHO). For example, I'm now modifying my collection
>slowly to concentrate on a few core genres of games that I love:
>FPS, Strategic, and most importantly, RPG. Some of my other stuff I will
>keep but a lot of it I will probably eventually have to get rid of.

I happen to think of "PC games" as a "specific" myself.

>Lastly, and most importantly... GET OUT NOW!!! Save yourself and your
>pocketbook!! This is a warning! :)

You *could* reason that unlike many expenditures like trips to Hawaii, food,
cars, furniture, etc., if you buy smart, computer games don't depreciate all
that much (the big thing about them is they take up space -- lots of it).
OTOH, I *know* I'm not going to sell anything I have, except either at
drastically inflated prices, or if I'm in very desperate financial straits.

Also, eventually, you start to run out of things to collect. I'm already
down to mostly rare items in many areas of my collecting. (Either that, or
excruciatingly common. I actually don't have a complete copy of Myst -- any
version of it.)

>>yes games are like the book publishing business, in some respects, i
>>guess. there are titles that come out and then when they get sold off
>>of the shelf, they are Gone For Good! then there are the games that
>>just plain are over-hyped and are no durn good and they are constantly
>>advertised and constantly are on the shelf. thus if i see a old classic
>>game in the bargin bin i just *must* buy it as when it sells from that
>>bin, i may never never see it again!
>
>It's a real problem. Shelf space is limited so only the games that SELL the
>BEST keep it, NOT necessarily the BEST games...
>
>Places like www.gametz.com are a good source of finding things your
>missing. And if you have money to burn, ebay can be a resource. The
>csipg.marketplace newsgroup isn't a bad source either.

The truly fanatic also visit thrift shops, garage sales, flea markets, etc.,
when convenient. (This is very hit or miss, but you can get really good
stuff very cheaply every now and then.) There are also some used software
stores around. Not many, but they exist.

eBay is the place you're most likely to find stuff, but the competition can
be stiff at times.

-- Stephen

PYRATEjeni

Feb 22, 2001, 1:44:54 PM2/22/01

>10/24/97, according to the date on my
>spreadsheet file, and I had 275 games. So it's well over 300 by now. All
>PC games, no console games.
>
>--

Last time, I did an inventory.. I had about 350 titles.. dating back from the
early 80's,
including the Bard's Tale series, Wasteland, and so many others.. mostly bought
in the "cheapie bin".