Might and Magic IX (9), brief thoughts

cccd...@hotmail.co.uk

Oct 8, 2008, 2:46:51 AM10/8/08
Played MM9 for first time last week (was released 2002). Fully
patched, I cheated with walkthru and 'god mode' trainer. (Got too
many unplayed games, never get thru 'em otherwise.)

I'm fairly new to RPGs, so my 'review' isn't in depth-

I liked -

Great music, good sound effects.
Size of world felt just right (not too big; less is more) + Good mix
of outdoor areas, cities and a few dungeons.
Enjoyed plot + Humourous (in places) dialogue.
Easy dialogue trees - nothing too unwieldy, although definitely could
be considered too basic for some.

Also -

Dated by today's standards, I had no 'problem' with the graphics.
Although they looked a bit dull in places, they didn't look "shiny"
which I'm not keen on.

Improvements -

Voice acting: better quality needed + quite a bit more of it.

Some of the reviews on web are a bit scathing (especially walkthru
authors) citing bugs and other bad gameplay stuff. My experience
(with patch and walkthru) was fine however - I'm really glad I played
it, although I'd only tentatively recommend it to "today's gamer".

-rob.

Nostromo

Oct 8, 2008, 7:04:56 AM10/8/08

I tried it a year ago & found it clunky & totally confusing. I ended up
on some sort of island wandering around the rocks killing random
critters with no goals or purpose. It didn't lead me into any storyline
whatsoever & just seemed aimless & confusing. Maybe I didn't give it
enough of a chance but after a couple hours I gave up & uninstalled. It
didn't help that the graphics & controls were very sub-par, even for a
2002 game imo.

--
Nostromo

Andrew Rybenkov

Oct 8, 2008, 8:49:56 AM10/8/08
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:46:51 +0400, <cccd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm really glad I played
> it, although I'd only tentatively recommend it to "today's gamer".

Excellent game. Despite numerous bugs (due incoming bankruptcy of 3DO), and
new graphic engine changes/limitations (no more "temple Baa" 1000 skeletons ;),
it still had "ye ole" Might & Magic feel and spirit.

After finishing the game I literally stood up and applauded to New World Computing.

--
Andrew Rybenkov

Lara Croft had died in The Last Revelation - say NO to impostors

Andrew Rybenkov

Oct 8, 2008, 11:05:19 AM10/8/08
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:04:56 +0400, Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.org> wrote:

> I ended up on some sort of island wandering around the rocks killing random critters with no goals or purpose. It didn't lead me into any storyline whatsoever & just seemed aimless & confusing.

I assume you wandered on tutorial island. Well, you should leave it at once, as you got accustomed
with user interface.

After this you will not have any questions what you should to do (in general sence).
MM9 was built on very strong plot - rather unusual thing for the series.

The game is getting better and better, so give it a real try.
It is true M&M though somewhat unusual.

Hehe, there is not "Flight" spell - bummer.
There is no "Walk on water" spell - because you just can swim.

(Unfortunately it has some incompatibility with Vista)

Gabriele Neukam

Oct 8, 2008, 11:13:08 AM10/8/08
On this special day, Nostromo wrote:

> I ended up on some sort of island wandering around the rocks killing random
> critters with no goals or purpose.

The isle of ashes has a riddle for you. Open the door to a room in the
cliffs near the entrance to the dangerous ruin, enter, and turn around.
There is a lever behind the door that ignites the cannon. After that,
you see a movie how the group leaves for the mainland.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spam...@t-online.de

--
ignorance can be fixed. stupidity is life-long.
(jshdude in alt.comp.anti-virus)

Nostromo

Oct 9, 2008, 8:23:29 AM10/9/08
Andrew Rybenkov wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:04:56 +0400, Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.org> wrote:
>
>> I ended up on some sort of island wandering around the rocks killing random critters with no goals or purpose. It didn't lead me into any storyline whatsoever & just seemed aimless & confusing.
>
> I assume you wandered on tutorial island. Well, you should leave it at once, as you got accustomed
> with user interface.
>
> After this you will not have any questions what you should to do (in general sence).
> MM9 was built on very strong plot - rather unusual thing for the series.
>
> The game is getting better and better, so give it a real try.
> It is true M&M though somewhat unusual.
>
> Hehe, there is not "Flight" spell - bummer.
> There is no "Walk on water" spell - because you just can swim.

Dang, that's one of the few things I remember liking in MM6 (flight),
even though I only played that for a few hours.

> (Unfortunately it has some incompatibility with Vista)

That's a plus then. I actually have it burnt off somewhere - which
patches/mods do you recommend as must haves? Are there any widescreen
hacks to play it on a laptop in 1280x800 rez? <G>

--
Nostromo

Nostromo

Oct 9, 2008, 8:24:36 AM10/9/08
Gabriele Neukam wrote:
> On this special day, Nostromo wrote:
>
>> I ended up on some sort of island wandering around the rocks killing
>> random critters with no goals or purpose.
>
> The isle of ashes has a riddle for you. Open the door to a room in the
> cliffs near the entrance to the dangerous ruin, enter, and turn around.
> There is a lever behind the door that ignites the cannon. After that,
> you see a movie how the group leaves for the mainland.

Cheers - will save this for ref if I give it another bash soon.

--
Nostromo

Andrew Rybenkov

Oct 10, 2008, 1:08:10 AM10/10/08
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:23:29 +0400, Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.org> wrote:

> which patches/mods do you recommend as must haves?

http://telp.org/mm9/

there are
patch 1.2 (last official)
patch 1.3a (fan patch)

> Are there any widescreen hacks to play it on a laptop in 1280x800 rez?

while it is possible to launch the game in any resolution by editing ini file,
due bugs it would be impractically.

Nostromo

Oct 10, 2008, 8:13:50 PM10/10/08
Andrew Rybenkov wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:23:29 +0400, Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.org> wrote:
>
>> which patches/mods do you recommend as must haves?
>
> http://telp.org/mm9/
>
> there are
> patch 1.2 (last official)
> patch 1.3a (fan patch)
>
>> Are there any widescreen hacks to play it on a laptop in 1280x800 rez?
>
> while it is possible to launch the game in any resolution by editing ini file,
> due bugs it would be impractically.

Cheers, I might give it a go as it will probably play great on this C2D
laptop. Remind me again - is it turn based like MM6 or real-time? I forget.

--
Nostromo

Andrew Rybenkov

Oct 10, 2008, 8:32:07 PM10/10/08
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 04:13:50 +0400, Nostromo <nost...@spamfree.org> wrote:

> is it turn based like MM6 or real-time?

Exactly as before - ENTER changes the mode.