This is my opinion of the dungeon-crawler "Legend of Grimrock" from
I got my copy via Steam.
[quote from WEB site]
What is Legend of Grimrock?
* Old-school dungeon crawling game inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of
the Beholder and Ultima Underworld.
* Explore a vast dungeon riddled with hidden switches, pressure
plates, sliding walls, trapdoors and more.
* Discover secrets, cast spells with runes and craft potions with
* Fight murderous monsters and seek lost artifacts in ancient tombs.
* Create a party of four characters and customize them with different
races, classes, skills and traits.
WHAT I LIKE:
* The game does have 'modern graphics but you do NOT need a
super-system and graphics card to run (min GeForce 7600).
* Uses old-school keyboard controls. Although it took me a long time
to get used to them. Haven't had to use this type of control system
since my Win98 days. Old-school controls = [W] [S] [A] [D] [Q] [E],
and you HAVE to use [Q] [E] (turn) to turn your character around
* Old-school puzzles are very challenging. (more in next section)
You may want to look at the Walkthrough at Game Banshee
WHAT I DO NOT LIKE:
* Other than Video and Audio Options, there are no others. You cannot
map keys for example.
* There are no cheats that work reliably. Cheat Happens has a
so-called Trainer (Skill Point Editor) but I, and others, have never
gotten it to work.
*** This game has many, many timed puzzles. You have to complete the
puzzle in so many clicks. I do not like most games that have timed
Just one example in Grimrock:
On Level-5 "Hallways"
"Deserted Tunnels Entrance"
Has a puzzle where you have to flip a switch on an alcove wall which
closes a gate blocking your final destination (closed wood door),
throw an object on a floor-plate down a hall 2 steps away from where
you are, this TEMPORALLY opens the gate, and you have to make it to
your destination (temporarily open door) before the door closes again.
AND DO THIS IN JUST 3 or 4 CLICKS!
BIG PROBLEM: When you flip the wall switch you are facing the wrong
way. Hence you have to turn around, step forward, right, throw, step
4 (and get through the 'open' gate), step back through the open door.
BUT the gate takes time to open (up) and will block you until it's
fully open. This takes more 'clicks' than I was given. I keep
banging into the partially open gate and cannot make it to the door
before it closes.
The Banshee walkthrough has the UNDERSTATEMENT 'It might take you a
few tires to get the timing down."
To make Grimrock more playable for us all-thumbs types, is a Game
Option to disable timers.
==== Tecknomage ====
Thieves Guild Master (Oblivion)