wake of ravager sound

MICHAEL WAGONER

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
I got the six pack from ssi, and just installed wake of the ravager. I
watched the intorduction, and when i got to the main menu, my ears were
hurt by the sound a tv makes when you are on a channel which has no
reception. I have my sound card set up correctly (it is the
soundblaster pro 2), enough memory, the game totally installed. any
one know what i should do? ive downloaded the patch for it also, but
it didnt fix anything after i installed it.
thanks in advance.
mike wagoner
ren...@ix.netcom.com

martin dietz

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
MICHAEL WAGONER (ren...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I got the six pack from ssi, and just installed wake of the ravager. I

: watched the intorduction, and when i got to the main menu, my ears were
: hurt by the sound a tv makes when you are on a channel which has no
: reception. I have my sound card set up correctly (it is the
: soundblaster pro 2), enough memory, the game totally installed. any
: one know what i should do? ive downloaded the patch for it also, but
: it didnt fix anything after i installed it.

I had the same problem. I just ignored it, as I couldn't fix it (the
only patch I found was to upgrade to version 1.1, but in the
Masterpiece-Collection you have version 1.1

It will happen during the game too, but there you can fix it with
turning off the music and turning it on again.

Ifr you get any patch newer than version 1.1, let me know where you
got it, because I have some problems in the mines (the computer hangs
in loading the second level).

: thanks in advance.
: mike wagoner
: ren...@ix.netcom.com

Good Luck

Martin

Peter Waterman

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
MICHAEL WAGONER (ren...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I got the six pack from ssi, and just installed wake of the ravager. I
: watched the intorduction, and when i got to the main menu, my ears were
: hurt by the sound a tv makes when you are on a channel which has no
: reception. I have my sound card set up correctly (it is the
: soundblaster pro 2), enough memory, the game totally installed. any
: one know what i should do? ive downloaded the patch for it also, but
: it didnt fix anything after i installed it.
: thanks in advance.

You might try setting it up as just a normal Sound Blaster card in
the Sound Setup. I don't think the difference is noticeable, and it
might nuke the noise...

-Pete

Kevin Tieskoetter

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In article <4gdrqj$e...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>
ren...@ix.netcom.com(MICHAEL WAGONER ) writes:

> I got the six pack from ssi, and just installed wake of the ravager. I
> watched the intorduction, and when i got to the main menu, my ears were
> hurt by the sound a tv makes when you are on a channel which has no
> reception. I have my sound card set up correctly (it is the
> soundblaster pro 2), enough memory, the game totally installed. any
> one know what i should do? ive downloaded the patch for it also, but
> it didnt fix anything after i installed it.

I got exactly the same thing. Apparently, tracks 2 and 3 of the CD are
just static.

Does anyone know if SSI has addressed this problem?

-kevin

//---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Tieskoetter / Software Prestidigitator, Specular International
//---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff VIckers

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96

>: I got the six pack from ssi, and just installed wake of the ravager. I

>: watched the intorduction, and when i got to the main menu, my ears were
>: hurt by the sound a tv makes when you are on a channel which has no
>: reception. I have my sound card set up correctly (it is the
>: soundblaster pro 2), enough memory, the game totally installed. any
>: one know what i should do? ive downloaded the patch for it also, but
>: it didnt fix anything after i installed it.
>: thanks in advance.
>
> You might try setting it up as just a normal Sound Blaster card in
>the Sound Setup. I don't think the difference is noticeable, and it
>might nuke the noise...

I had the same problem. It goes away after the game finishes loading.
It comes back periodically when the music plays, however. The only
way I could stop it was to turn off the music from the game controls
screen.

Robert Oliver

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
> >: I got the six pack from ssi, and just installed wake of the ravager. I
> >: watched the intorduction, and when i got to the main menu, my ears were
> >: hurt by the sound a tv makes when you are on a channel which has no
> >: reception. I have my sound card set up correctly (it is the
> >: soundblaster pro 2), enough memory, the game totally installed. any
> >: one know what i should do? ive downloaded the patch for it also, but
> >: it didnt fix anything after i installed it.
> >: thanks in advance.

The problem here is that the audio track on the CD is actually a blast
of static. Try playing it on a regular CD player and you will hear the
same thing. There is no real solution. I think tracks 2 and 3 are
nothing but static. Sounds like a mastering problem or something.

Kwan-Yong Lee

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg: 26-Feb-96 Re: wake of
ravager sound by Jeff VIc...@laforge.ksc
> >: I got the six pack from ssi, and just installed wake of the ravager. I
> >: watched the intorduction, and when i got to the main menu, my ears were
> >: hurt by the sound a tv makes when you are on a channel which has no
> >: reception. I have my sound card set up correctly (it is the
> >: soundblaster pro 2), enough memory, the game totally installed. any
> >: one know what i should do? ive downloaded the patch for it also, but
> >: it didnt fix anything after i installed it.
> >: thanks in advance.
> >
> > You might try setting it up as just a normal Sound Blaster card in
> >the Sound Setup. I don't think the difference is noticeable, and it
> >might nuke the noise...
> >

> I had the same problem. It goes away after the game finishes loading.
> It comes back periodically when the music plays, however. The only
> way I could stop it was to turn off the music from the game controls
> screen.

I think it is problem caused by CD-ROM when it loads music from the cd.
The CD-ROM seems to read wrong track and load static sounds sometimes.
I just turned the volume knob on my CD-ROM all the way down.

Kevin

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
In article <4gtene$v...@sol.caps.maine.edu>
Robert Oliver <rol...@cardinal.umeais.maine.edu> writes:

> The problem here is that the audio track on the CD is actually a blast
> of static. Try playing it on a regular CD player and you will hear the
> same thing. There is no real solution. I think tracks 2 and 3 are
> nothing but static. Sounds like a mastering problem or something.

I found the best thing to do (short of turning off music entirely) is,
when static starts playing, eject the CD and put it back in again. Most
of the time, it won't attempt to play the same track again immediately.
Sometimes, in combat, it will play static again, in which case, just
keep the CD out until you're done with the combat.

-kevin

--
-